Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Lol, whut?

And original Deadmines, Ragefire Chasm, Wailing Caverns, Shadowfang Keep, Scarlet Monastery.. Oh wait, EVERY SINGLE DUNGEON

Be fair
    They've been redone, but once again...how is OLD content suddenly NEW? These dungeons were redone because they were old, not because they gave everyone a new experience every time, right...?

As I said before, I always thought the whole deal with Classic servers, was to go back in time and play OLD content the OLD way...and people have been asking for Classic servers since what, TBC? And now suddenly, the Nos advocates are claiming that it's NEW content and that there's TONS of it compared to what's on offer in retail with 11 years on the neck...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bt4 View Post
    And to give an example for a game that is old and still alive: Counterstrike.
    I said PvE game.

In PvP games, players themselves are the "content".

You can only do the same thing for so long until it gets a snoozefest and you want something fresh and new.
    After 2 years you will start calling it "Molten Bore" just like people did back in the day.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2016-04-07 at 10:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch of Anarchy View Post
    Why is this topic over 200 pages long when in other threads, any sort of mention of private server would result in it being locked?
    Because it's news about Blizzard as much as anything. Otherwise it would be. You can expect things to go back to normal once this has passed.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Because it's new and rather large news at that. Otherwise it would be.
    Streisand effect in full swing. Taboo isn't taboo when it's important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko View Post
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    As I said before, Blizzard isn't going to be much interested in supporting something of this scale for a theoretical audience of a few hundred thousand. And that number is up to question if it costs extra to access it. I'm not saying that Nost wasn't successful. It was. That's probably why it got closed. And even given 800K registered accounts, after a year, the number of active accounts had dropped to 150K, a little under 20% retention over the course of a year for a free and reportedly well-run server. Blizzard will absolutely think that's not worth bothering about.
    Completely agree, Nostralius' player retention is evidence that there is not enough support for blizz run "legacy servers," and not proof of the support like some may think.

Quote Originally Posted by bonekrusher View Post
    It's not "that simple". This is why people go to private servers. So they can have the access to what they already "paid for" and have a reminiscent experience to go along with their current subscription which offers timewalking to relive old content and transmog to customize you gear with your favorite oldskool tier sets.

As far as supporting Blizz; I've managed 3 accounts for over 10 years (mine, my wife's, my brother's) as well as kept a few guild members accounts active here and there during that same time frame. Trust me... I support Blizz. I'm still an active subscriber and will be for a long time. I have had beta access to Cata, Mists, hearthstone, HoTS... my wife has had beta access to Cata, HoTS, WoD and currently Overwatch (Damn her!).

All I ask for are some options. Myself, my family and my friends have invested over 10 years of our lives playing a game we love. If they won't allocate resources to legacy servers, we'll deal with it. And by "deal with it" I mean playing a private server on occasion.

If you can't "handle that", then you're missing the point. It's that simple.

Like I've said in some previous post's is that Blizzard is a business first, and not your friend. So, weather you like it or not, Blizzard going to what they feel is right in this situation regarding their business. Also, there is nothing wrong with some of what you said, but you also have to look at this from Blizzards point of view.

Also, keep in mind that you paid for something that Blizzard has 100% control over (It's their property, not yours, and or anyone else). They host the game and anyone else using the code without their consent is in violation of the law. Plain and simple. (Technically people who play on those type of servers are also involved in illegal activity).
    Last edited by jibberbox85; 2016-04-07 at 10:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is this topic over 200 pages long when in other threads, any sort of mention of private server would result in it being locked?
    Simple: people WANT to talk about it, so they WILL talk about it an open countless new Freds.

Unless the mods are prepared to banhammer half the community, it is a most elegant solution to direct peeps into one big thread until stuff cools down and business returns to the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mytheros View Post
    To you and all of the folks with your mindset which is "how dare blizzard" "greedy blizzard"...."they are scared a little operation could do so good without them that's why they closed it down"....and all that nonsense..

First - I get it you have lots of fun and that fun was ended so you are all very emotional and upset. Ok fine we are all humans we know how that is. But in some cases people have written very nasty about this issue (I think one loooooong write up even stated people that don't understand are "virgin morons")....I mean some people are breathing fire over this which is so outside of anything logical I can't understand the thought. Anyway because of how nasty and irrational some are being over this I therefore make the educated guess a lot of you are young folks, that would explain the immature reaction for one, second it would explain your complete ignorance of business law which leads to second point....

Second - Blizzard is fully justified 100% and is not even slightly in the wrong for shutting down Nostralius. They own the IP (Intellectual Property) of World of Warcraft, its their property. How does that alone not explain everything to the people raging? Well because of what I mentioned in the First part above -- emotional,immaturity and illogical thought.

Someone said "how was theft committed Nostralius didn't make money off it"..... That comment scared me....scared me that there's people so uneducated on an issue that they think theft is only when there is a financial loss from one party off of another.. Theft is , in very simple terms "I own THIS, you took IT without my permission...." Legally that is theft. Note the example had NOTHING to do with you making money off of it at all.. simply it wasn't yours and you took it.

Anyone who holds this in a negative light against blizzard -- I'm sorry but those people are mindless, uneducated, immature idiots.

And that's all I have to say on the Nostralius issue.

PS. You folks do know that every single private server of WoW is illegal right? I mean do you at least understand that blizzard has never licensed, authorized or endorsed the use of their IP to be used by an independent entity to run WoW servers? Technically Blizzard could go through the internet tonight and have legal cause to shut down every private server in existence and they would be fully justified.
    Once again Human emotion interfering with common sense is why there is so much rage (from a minority of the actual player base, or would be player base if they subscribed to Retail WoW or not). You can't win this argument when emotion is involved, especially in immature people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelzza View Post
    Yeah I already read that on this thread. You couldn't get more childish if you tried. That's so cringeworthy it makes me think it was written by a 12 year old. Don't tell me... you're 12?

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    They've been redone, but once again...how is OLD content suddenly NEW? These dungeons were redone because they were old, not because they gave everyone a new experience every time, right...?

As I said before, I always thought the whole deal with Classic servers, was to go back in time and play OLD content the OLD way...and people have been asking for Classic servers since what, TBC? And now suddenly, the Nos advocates are claiming that it's NEW content and that there's TONS of it compared to what's on offer in retail with 11 years on the neck...
    The comment was that you could log into retail and do all of these things except for Naxx40, which is kinda doubly ironic becuase Naxx "80" is more like the original Naxx than any of the new dungeons are similar to their first incarnation.

The person saying it was "new" content was wrong, I'm not disputing that. Except that to most people still playing WoW (no, not ALL, yes well done if you played in Vanilla at the time) but MOST people plying WoW on retail will have never seen them in their original incarnation so to those players it will in fact be new content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    When it's a superior product, you will know it. There isn't an opinion to be had, it will be general consensus. Blizzard knew it in 2010 when it peaked in sub numbers. Did twitter intergation make the game better? Did the jute box make the game better? Not every decision is in the games best interest, but Blizzards best interest, and that makes all the difference.
    We can agree, that vanilla was the most inferior product in the WoW franchise, good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if this was some sort of event set in motion by Blizzard directly; fantastic way to gauge feedback on if players truly do want legacy servers, this seems to be running rampant across Warcraft fan/blogging sites, from what I was reading these realm developers came out of the wild blue yonder with no previous experience and managed to run a vanilla server, yet "other, popular private servers" are thriving and succeeding very well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    Streisand effect in full swing. Taboo isn't taboo when it's important.
    The taboo is linking to servers websites and promoting active ones.

This is a discussion about Blizzard getting rid of one of the major ones.

Quite a different thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    It's not taboo, its a forum rule, but it's because the thread is about blizzard, and not about promoting pservers.
    Yeah, this wouldn't be news without Blizzard's intervention.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    We can agree, that vanilla was the most inferior product in the WoW franchise, good.
    I agree, I think the TBC was far better, and I have played since right before the ZG patch.
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly wouldn't be surprised if this was some sort of event set in motion by Blizzard directly; fantastic way to gauge feedback on if players truly do want legacy servers
    Mmh... wouldn't go that far.
    I'm certain that they pay attention to the reactions in order to draw their conclusions though.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Yeah I already read that on this thread. You couldn't get more childish if you tried. That's so cringeworthy it makes me think it was written by a 12 year old. Don't tell me... you're 12?
    Why do you have insult kids? What's wrong with being 12?

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    The comment was that you could log into retail and do all of these things except for Naxx40, which is kinda doubly ironic becuase Naxx "80" is more like the original Naxx than any of the new dungeons are similar to their first incarnation.

The person saying it was "new" content was wrong, I'm not disputing that. Except that to most people still playing WoW (no, not ALL, yes well done if you played in Vanilla at the time) but MOST people plying WoW on retail will have never seen them in their original incarnation so to those players it will in fact be new content.
    That's true, but then it still faces the same problem that all content has ever faced...it gets old once these people have seen it x amount of times. By the time they changed the original dungeons, they were old to me and I hadn't played since Classic.

Either way I don't get how people can preach how the old, stagnant ways are superior and then turn around and proclaim that it's superior because it offers MORE and NEW content...

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    The taboo is linking to servers websites and promoting active ones.

This is a discussion about Blizzard getting rid of one of the major ones.

Quite a different thing.
    Not really, still giving exposure to options outside of Blizzard.

Blizzard seem to be deleting every thread on their forums that has been made as a result of nostalrius shutting down (as you can see in the blue tracker). Is this common practice?