Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    You can't pay for vanilla though. It doesn't exist anymore. That's why people played Nostalrius.

I understood Blizzard's stance on private servers back in wotlk, for example, where there were blizzlike wotlk private servers which were very successful. After all, that's infringing on the very service you are attempting to sell. I would understand full well if they were taking down blizzlike WoD pservers.

But now, I don't understand it. Blizzard are not providing the service that Nostalrius were, and Blizz have no claim to lost sales because of it. It's an almost entirely different game. If they aren't providing the service, why hunt down a pserver who is providing the service? Copyright law or no, the decision is blatantly anti-consumer. They don't care about the users' passion for their game because they're not making any money off them.

Sure they have the right to do it, but doing it still makes them dicks.
    Back in the day they said that they would rather spend ressources on providing the better service than sueing gamers. Now these days are gone for good. WoD is proof of that.

Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    sorry but you cant steal something digital it has infinte amounts, if someone sotle your car then yes that is stealing cos you only have one of them whereas anything digital can be downloaded millions of times and never run out, its not stealing and these copyright laws only defend the rich anyway and the law is very primitive to cos anyone can share files using a site like this to just post a link or a youtube music video or you can share files through email,phones etc copyright laws are so far behind the times
    Dude, intellectual property rights. It doesn't have to be physical. 2nd : plagiarism. Have you heard that? You write a masterpiece and some asshole copy pastes its and claims its theirs. Even if you modify its still mine. Unfucking belivable how you can twist.

SO its flat out ok for them to run a copy of blizzard own game.

Please could you develop a fucknig popular game immediately? So that I will simply torrent download it, then emulate and run my own servers with 0 contribution to you. Pretty please. I want a game that can gather at least 11 million players. Then I ll pirate your shit and do exactly nost did.

Except i ll earn money as well. Since you don't mind. Please be quick

Bad move by blizzard and bad publicity. They arent losing money from private servers such as Nost. There where 2 categories of people on Nost. People that have quited retail more then 1-2 years ago like me or people that where still active in retail and where looking for a way to kill time until Legion launched.

They sure did a great job at pissing everyone.

Anyway in my case the only thing they managed was to cancel Legion preorder and driving me towards pirating their movie as well.

Yes it is their right to shutdown a private server no question about it. If their game was still decent and they hadn't destroyed their communities there would be no need for private servers to begin with though. Also turning against their player base is never a good idea.

Nostalrius did a magnificent job at keeping Blizzards name high and was a monument to what the company was capable to deliver when their hearts and mind was in the right place. They "worked" for blizzard and advertised retail and the upcoming movie in a way that only people that played on Nost can understand. The server was that good and the people behind it preserved all of Blizzards policies and rules.

Shame really it has come to this. Big thank you to the team behind Nostalrius for delivering such an awesome experience and to the community that made me feel 10 years younger again. It has been an awesome 6 months there and i wish it could last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    give an example then
    Quick example then. Someone else mentioned drugs. I mean, it's hardly the drug users fault they're addicted to them and since the govt won't sell <insert illegal drug> they have to acquire it through unlawful ways. But you know, it's not their fault. If only the govt would sell <illegal drug> people wouldn't have to break the law to get them!

What does it matter? Same systems, same sense of community, same progression schedule. It was the same game, run by a different company. The only issues Nost had was lag.

I recently played through FFX and FFXII again on my PS2 emulator. They were the same games I played many years ago, even if I was using pirated ISOs.
    Because you think you are playing something when you're not. Offline local games is not the same as MMOs. Nostalrius would have to posses Blizzard's original or leaked code for it to be genuine vanilla. Nostalrius can only estimate their material based on old datamined data. You're not playing vanilla wow, you're playing a close hacked reproduction of it. Vanilla doesn't exist anymore, that's correct. The only thing Blizzard is guilty of, is defending their IP and taking the world pre cataclysm away such that no one can see it anymore.

I don't think I've ever posted before but these people on here are really scaring me.. So many people keep talking about money(they wouldn't play if there was a sub)... well ofc not they didn't create the game who would be comfortable with them requiring a subscription lol. I wouldn't mind donating for all the time they put into it though. Every person I know who was playing on that server said they would pay blizzard to pay vanilla so your point is invalid.

As for the legality of it, yeah it might be illegal but so are a lot of things. WoW vanilla that I bought is no longer available and you are required to play a shittier version of WoW than what originally came out. I don't even think copyright should exist for things no longer available that are over 10 years old. The majority of you against people having fun because it's "free" sound like you have some mental disorder. I didn't even play but I would like to play vanilla again because I definitely won't play WoD or Legion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MarizzaDraenor View Post
    Bad move by blizzard and bad publicity. They arent losing money from private servers such as Nost. There where 2 categories of people on Nost. People that have quited retail more then 1-2 years ago like me or people that where still active in retail and where looking for a way to kill time until Legion launched.

Anyway in my case the only thing they managed was to cancel Legion preorder and driving me towards pirating their movie as well.

Yes it is their right to shutdown a private server no question about it. If their game was still decent and they hadn't destroyed their communities there would be no need for private servers to begin with though. Also turning against their player base is never a good idea.

Nostalrius did a magnificent job at keeping Blizzards name high and was a monument to what the company was capable to deliver when their hearts and mind was in the right place. They "worked" for blizzard and advertised retail and the upcoming movie in a way that only people that played on Nost can understand. The server was that good and the people behind it preserved all of Blizzards policies and rules.

Shame really it has come to this. Big thank you to the team behind Nostalrius for delivering such an awesome experience and to the community that made me feel 10 years younger again. It has been an awesome 6 months there and i wish it could last longer.
    I thikn this will backfire on blizzard but it may be the decision-makers have spreadsheets ready which are going to prove otherwise, no matter what.

I wonder how many blizz employees, and how many devs who worked on early wow, actually played on nost.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Smart enough to know a law exists, not smart enough to understand what it means or how it works. You bought access not the game itself. Just like when I went to the movies last week I didn't leave owning rights to the movie.
    But you have the right to sell that movie ticket, and use it how you please. You exchanged money for a ticket...you exchanged the ticket...for the one time viewing...you can also buy the movie itself...and now you, yourself have viewing rights as many times as you want, but you can sell the movie so long as you legally purchased it from a legal distributor and you can even make copies of it as long as they are for your personal back ups alone...Soon as you give it to people who did not buy it there is a huge problem...I think this is where nostalrius went wrong honestly because they provided a torrent for the game... I payed for access to the server but I purchased the game, the game requires a server in order to play it and if I don't pay the subscription cost, I can still launch the game, but I'm denied access from blizzard server's when I log in...This is why I can connect to nostalrius...I'm not denied access because they don't charge to connect to their servers...I own the game, I didn't make copies...I'm not a thief and getting shafted sucks because of that fact, why can't you just show us nos players who lost all our hard work some support...it can't hurt you! and wed seriously appreciate it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by datacus View Post
    I don't think I've ever posted before but these people on here are really scaring me.. So many people keep talking about money(they wouldn't play if there was a sub)... well ofc not they didn't create the game who would be comfortable with them requiring a subscription lol. I wouldn't mind donating for all the time they put into it though. Every person I know who was playing on that server said they would pay blizzard to pay vanilla so your point is invalid.

As for the legality of it, yeah it might be illegal but so are a lot of things. WoW vanilla that I bought is no longer available and you are required to play a shittier version of WoW than what originally came out. I don't even think copyright should exist for things no longer available that are over 10 years old. The majority of you against people having fun because it's "free" sound like you have some mental disorder. I didn't even play but I would like to play vanilla again because I definitely won't play WoD or Legion.

it gets even more interesting, psychologically, when you consider the subset that 1) doesn't want you to be able to play on a private server classic wow, and 2) doesn't want blizzard to offer an official version of the same.

I am honestly baffled at how someone can care so much what other game someone plays.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanatoss View Post
    Quick example then. Someone else mentioned drugs. I mean, it's hardly the drug users fault they're addicted to them and since the govt won't sell <insert illegal drug> they have to acquire it through unlawful ways. But you know, it's not their fault. If only the govt would sell <illegal drug> people wouldn't have to break the law to get them!
    ok so if its not the drug users fault who's is it, nobody injected heroin into his or her veins or watever they did it of there own free will

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    i did too, it was quantum blade, never got it.....

i apparently failed to ss the combat log of the 1-shot event in BF but here it is. forgive the action bars, i had only been playing <1 year......i was too close to the trap and he killed me before triggering it, thus he wasn't trapped (never crossed over it). lesson in trapping there.

Yeah, you have to stand clear of the trap, use your agro to line it up, this was your fault for standing to close, sorry. :P
    I would have given my left nut to fling traps like they do now days. Nothing worse then getting all set up, cast MD, and then someone says "brb" followed "okay ready" as MD falls off and you have to wait on the CD.

Remember when the mobs started resisting FD, that pissed me off to no end.

To be fair, hunters are no tanks, we didn't have it as bad as clothies, but couldn't manage like healadins either.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Private servers get shut down all the time, why does everyone suddenly give a fuck now?

Deleted
    I find it amusing that now players from Nostalrius say that Blizzard was respected on the server and such.

That's a complete BS! On the forums many didn't had the courtesy of calling Blizzard by the name... Even on stickied threads they were called many names, the most famous as "snow blowers".

And both in game and in the forums, if someone would speak in any form good about Blizzard or the game, it would be bashed to death. Specially in a big city.

Many, if not most, of Nostalrius players are Blizzard haters and many of them never actually played the original game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Yes, it is, despite whatever excuses you wish to make to justify it to yourself.
    I was asking a question, not stating my own position. You can tell by the question mark ( ? ) at the end of the sentence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azidonis View Post
    Anyway, their egos, or "epeens" (electronic penises) aside, here are a few links that may help:

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MarizzaDraenor View Post

I really don't see the bad publicity here for Blizzard.

When they lay the legal smack on a Chinese company using their character designs for a iPhone MOBA, everyone cheers. If you ask me, copying Blizzard's own game, even in an outdated state, is worse than reusing character designs. And I think a lot of people who aren't caught up in the "We need Vanilla Servers" craze feel the same way.

Hell, I mentioned Nost on my server this evening and most of the responses were "who's that?" This isn't any different from the multiple occasions Blizz has dropped a temp ban on a popular streamer for breaking the rules, or when sub numbers dropped, or when Blizz announces things and doesn't put a big news item on the launcher about it.

If you aren't in the weeds, you don't even know drama happened.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuesdays View Post
    Yeah, you have to stand clear of the trap, use your agro to line it up, this was your fault for standing to close, sorry. :P
    I would have given my left nut to fling traps like they do now days. Nothing worse then getting all set up, cast MD, and then someone says "brb" followed "okay ready" as MD falls off and you have to wait on the CD.

Remember when the mobs started resisting FD, that pissed me off to no end.

To be fair, hunters are no tanks, we didn't have it as bad as clothies, but couldn't manage like healadins either.
    i eventually did learn to trap right, (focus target the distracting shot on focus while assisting kill order, stand back a little from trap. the one-shot experience above clearly made an impression since I recall it 8 years later.

heroics were challenging content for decent players. I really missed that in wotlk even at launch.

You can't pay for vanilla though. It doesn't exist anymore. That's why people played Nostalrius.

I understood Blizzard's stance on private servers back in wotlk, for example, where there were blizzlike wotlk private servers which were very successful. After all, that's infringing on the very service you are attempting to sell. I would understand full well if they were taking down blizzlike WoD pservers.

But now, I don't understand it. Blizzard are not providing the service that Nostalrius were, and Blizz have no claim to lost sales because of it. It's an almost entirely different game. If they aren't providing the service, why hunt down a pserver who is providing the service? Copyright law or no, the decision is blatantly anti-consumer. They don't care about the users' passion for their game because they're not making any money off them.

Sure they have the right to do it, but doing it still makes them dicks.
    Legality vs Morality I guess. I felt it was pretty shitty to shut down a service they refuse to offer us. WOW has changed very much since Vanilla, many things were improved, but there was also many great aspects that were lost. The game no longer feels like a world you live in but more of a Skinner's box. Pull lever, get reward, log out. By the insane popularity of this server I guess many players felt the same way.

To put this in a different perspective, I paid for vanilla wow. I cannot play that game anymore. It simply doesn't exist outside of private servers. Where is the fairness in that?

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatoss View Post
    This goes way to offtopic but the war on drugs has shown that you cant really win it, Selling it officially with taxes on it and quality control is the better option imho.
    Blizzard just cant stop all of the private realms, even if they have the right to do so, like someone said making it themselves is the best available option besides (my preference) just going after the ones that try to get money from it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sfr528 View Post
    To put this in a different perspective, I paid for vanilla wow. I cannot play that game anymore. It simply doesn't exist outside of private servers. Where is the fairness in that?
    A fairness you agreed to when you clicked 'I accept'.

I bought tickets to WWF Survivor Series back in 2001. I can't see the Survivor Series again unless I pay. Same dif. Perpetual world game = nothing lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    It's their game. You are only purchasing the right to play it. Stealing is stealing.
    That game is not for sale anymore. They are selling WoD which is a WHOOOOLE different thing. Vanilla private realms aren't competing with retail WoW, if they were running "current content" private realms, that would be a different thing.

The "it's the same thing if i stole your car" comparisons just make you look like a 1st world dumbass or a troll.

Blizzard would probably save more money if they just released vanilla as freeware which people could play on their own realms if they want. Currently they are just wasting resources on fighting private realms... And shutting down private realms won't magically make the vanilla lovers subscribe to retail and fall in love with WoD.