10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TOOLDOOG View Post
    Seens lots of valid points for and against the idea of legacy servers, but I swear some of the posters reek of some retarded hive-mind
    he is right, though, classic was such a bad game it started at zero and took over two years to hit 8m worldwide subs, and it only got that high because it sucked.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nvn View Post
    Exactly, there are so many ways to click on the waiting queue pop up, I'd even try to use an xbox controller to click on it but I don't want to breach the TOS, I guess I'm stuck with the mouse.
    once again, you can go do other things in the game, not everything requires queues :^)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    Or you know, you could actually do something rather then choosing yourself to stay in your garrison and blaming Blizzard :^)

Oh wait no, this is the hand-holding generation which requires Blizzard to tell them to do stuff otherwise they are lost and just moan there is nothing to do.
    you captain america are totaly right. Il go in to the jungle waiting for my queue to pop up. Thank you !!

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeden View Post
    So you base your information what a random guy on mmochampion said and take it as the truth? I know for a fact it had no nothing to do with financial issues. 1.5 Months ago i offered a developer 200 dollars on IRRC he didnt want to take it. My "rich" friend however did donate 150 dollars about 8 months ago for the hardware costs.

Your source is obviously alot more reliable to i rest my case.
    No, I base it on the link the Random guy gave to the Nostralius Forums that had a thread about it.

also $150 for 8 months of Hardware costs. AHAHAHAHAHA.... oh the Naivety.
    Last edited by Super Kami Dende; 2016-04-08 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krassz1096 View Post
    *snip*
    (holy crap is there really a reason to be so mad about it?)

Anyway, this:

Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    Legally, yes, but I already stated plenty times, including in that post, that the activit is illegal. I'm not discussing legality, I'm discussing morality. And as far as anything else than strict definitions, the game is indeed very different, to the extent of many of the zones, npcs, items, instances, spells, features and gameplay mechanics not being accessible/reproducable in-game on retail anymore.

Yes, "technically" it's the same game, but from a user experience prespective, it's a completly different game.
    It's as stark a difference as this to this. Or this to this.

(Not claiming those are parallels in the sense that they're also the same game, just from how different these versions of these games are and how different of an experience they despite having the same name, same IP, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    he is right, though, classic was such a bad game it started at zero and took over two years to hit 8m worldwide subs, and it only got that high because it sucked.
    It was an amazing game, for its time. You couldn't get me to play it now if you paid me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonjoon View Post
    You're using the information wrong. You're not acknowledging that there are people who
    a) don't know about private servers
    b) don't play pirated games
    c) don't want to play on pirated servers because they want assuranses that their characters won't be lost
    d) it doesn't matter if most of the 150k wouldn't pay for it, because it's a fact that people OUTSIDE the private scene are also interested about Vanilla.
    You really need to take into account both sides of it. The numbers from Nostalrius are just an important sample.

800k accounts, 150k active = tells there is interest, but also shows that not everyone will stick with it. Some (150k which is a high number) will.
    A runtime of 1 year and steadily increasing player numbers = completely destroys the argument that it is only Nostalgia.
    Really those numbers tell me a different story. On a server where one had to find it and get invited to it( which means people way more into it) and was free to play they lost more than 80% of thier subs. So why would you assume when people had to pay for it they wouldn't do the exact thing. Check it out play for awhile then stop since nothing new is ever coming. Maybe blizz did some research into this and found out the cost to get it up and running and maintained isn't worth it. People cry now when raid tiers last to long what will they do when they last forever?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghier View Post
    The sad part is that people just want to play old WoW versions. The vast majority of people would rather have official servers from Blizzard to play on. I am one of those people. The latency and larger amount of bugs in private servers really bother me. Customers are literally trying to give their money to Blizzard, and Blizzard sticks their nose in the air and tells them they are too stupid to know what they really want. If Blizzard announced legacy servers today; everyone would forget about Nostalrius (and pigs would fly).
    The key point is, not enough people are trying to give that money to justify the cost.
    I'm pretty sure Blizzard loves money way more than you do.
    If vanilla servers is as profitable as you say it is, they would have long set those up and running.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeden View Post
    So you base your information what a random guy on mmochampion said and take it as the truth? I know for a fact it had no nothing to do with financial issues. 1.5 Months ago i offered a developer 200 dollars on IRRC he didnt want to take it. My "rich" friend however did donate 150 dollars about 8 months ago for the hardware costs.

Your source is obviously alot more reliable, i rest my case.
    It came from the Reddit AMA and it aligns with what they said about when they stopped taking donations.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just want to play the game I love with friends I like and strangers I can tolerate. It's not a nostalgic thing, I started right before Wrath. I'll still play upcoming expansions, but there's just so much more time to sink into oldschool 1-60 than newschool 90-100. I was done with questing and gearing for raids in about a week in WoD. What's left to do? Wait for timegated content to be available? I'd rather spent a day in Stranglethorn Vale, getting through Hemet's questline.

Quote Originally Posted by nvn View Post
    Exactly, there are so many ways to click on the waiting queue pop up, I'd even try to use an xbox controller to click on it but I don't want to breach the TOS, I guess I'm stuck with the mouse.
    At least when you're in the queue you can go around and do things, instead of having to sit in a city looking for people for an hour. So not sure what your point is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    It was an amazing game, for its time. You couldn't get me to play it now if you paid me.
    you have stated refusal of payment a few times on this thread. Is this inverse solicitation?
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Found out about this yesterday.. logged on and there were 300 people online compared to 3.5k on the pve server and 11k on the pvp server. Funny/sad thing this one guy had no idea and was still trying to buy some eng mats.

I think we should be able to play any version of WoW that we want as long as those private server are not making money. Nost was completely donation based, and by that I mean they would get other people who play the game to pay for the server upgrades and equipment. There wasn't a single thing on there that they could charge you for unless you wanted to pay for some of the equipment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahij View Post
    At least when you're in the queue you can go around and do things, instead of having to sit in a city looking for people for an hour. So not sure what your point is.
    There goes saying that "Good things are worth waiting", ever heard it before? What is your point again?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krassz1096 View Post
    You're arguing about whether World of Warcraft is the same as World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor. OF COURSE IT'S THE SAME GAME. I don't normally get mad, but holy fucking shit, the amount of retardation you pseudo-intellectuals spew "eww strawman, eww lets play wordgames because I can't argue shit" like, WTF? The original point was that Blizzard don't support World of Warcraft anymore, because it's now a different "version" of the game... EVEN THOUGH IT'S THE SAME GAME. For a start, another company couldn't even make a COMPLETELY NEW game with the same "Warcraft" universe without permission, let alone host a previous version of a GAME THAT'S STILL RUNNING AND OWNED BY BLIZZARD, USING COMPLETELY THE SAME ASSETS, CODE, AND WHATEVER ELSE IS FOUND IN WORLD OF WARCRAFT. Go stick your word-games where the sun doesn't shine and actually think about what you're writing. EVERYTHING in their private server is original Blizzard property, with nearly all of it still being used in the game that's currently running. Holy shit.
    I must've missed the original point. My argument was toward the statement that Vanilla and WoD are the same game, which I think they are not. As I already said, I understand your point when you say it's the same game. I told you that I think they are not the same game, and why I think that's the case. I also half-seriously quoted the definition of a game thinking that it would help you understand my point. I was mistaken, as it seems you're either not willing to think about objectively, OR were still thinking about the original argument with some other person.

I'll bite your original argument, even if it was with some other guy. Sure, they are supporting World of Warcraft, with more and more expansions no doubt about it. They are not, however, supporting the older version of it.
    The point you bring about other companies and their permission to create games with anything related to the Warcraft franchise is further proof that you haven't thought our argument from my point of view.

Also, your fourth reply was the first that added anything to the discussion. Talk about "can't argue for shit."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewsco View Post
    Really those numbers tell me a different story. On a server where one had to find it and get invited to it( which means people way more into it) and was free to play they lost more than 80% of thier subs. So why would you assume when people had to pay for it they wouldn't do the exact thing. Check it out play for awhile then stop since nothing new is ever coming. Maybe blizz did some research into this and found out the cost to get it up and running and maintained isn't worth it. People cry now when raid tiers last to long what will they do when they last forever?
    Then they will play on Live or on another legacy server. Keep in mind that only a small minority of players cleared Nax 40. A legacy server would give players much more time to actually clear the original raid dungeon as it was originally meant to be cleared.

If they so desired.

Blizzard should consider making legacy servers a part of the existing subscription fee. There's an argument to be made here. Now if WoW goes F2P then legacy servers aren't viable except to promote Blizzard's brand (and they do that easily elsewhere). What I am arguing is WoW can maintain a sub fee for years to come if Blizzard invested in real demand. Obviously they will want this to be measured somehow.

Look at the current views for this topic alone, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewsco View Post
    Do you think the current subscribers would continue paying if Blizz makde subscription optional and with no benefit other than just helping the devs? A lot of people will avoid paying if they can, doesn't mean they won't pay if that's what they need to do to get what they want.

Sure they lost 80% of their "subs". Retail lost more than 94% of theirs. What now?

It's very unlikely that it wouldn't be profitable. Even just 5.6k extra subscriptions for an year result in $1M extra earnings. If a programmer costs $5k/month, just 334 subscribers cover the cost and generate some profit.

What really makes or breaks it is wether the profit is big enough to justify the risk, that's what blizz did say. The chance of $10M more at the end of the year isn't that much for a game that makes more than $800M a year.

(random numbers for illustration purposes, no need to nicpick =P)
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2016-04-08 at 03:53 PM.

Deleted
    I do not know who posted this because I got it as a message, but I suggest you read it before posting more toxic comments here:

Quote:

"There is a lesson that I learned very quickly when I first began dabbling in the world of Vanilla servers in 2012: One day, you will wake up and all of your work will be gone.

It is inevitable; the illusion that your character will continue to exist forever is not even rational. We spend hours upon hours grinding, farming, and working to improve our characters, as if there is some finishing point. But what is that finishing point, really? Farming Naxx and one-shotting people with your full T3 for all of eternity? Or hopping over to TBC, and essentially starting from scratch?

The truth is that we choose to play this gimmicky, imbalanced, grindy, and occasionally frustrating 11 year old game for a reason. That reason is the journey. People love to say that investing time on a private server is “pointless” or “a waste of time.” I say that’s bullshit. Unless you are among the world’s elite DotA or CS players, then you are “wasting your time” no matter what game you choose to play.

We play for the journey. We play for the experience. We play for the friendships and the rivalries. We play for the drama. We play for the feeling of slaying a new boss and seeing BiS loot drop. We play for the feeling of hitting your PvP rank after weeks of hard work and sleep deprivation.

We play for the feeling of riding into Blackrock Mountain with 39 other people who love this game as much as you do, running beside you and laughing in TeamSpeak. We play for 6 hour battles at world bosses. We play for 100+ player battles over Devilsaur Leathers.

We play for the feeling of venturing out into Azeroth and never knowing what lies around the corner, which is a feeling that Vanilla produces better than any game ever has or ever will.

We play for the journey. That is the reason that players like us choose to replay this severely outdated game on a bootleg server. Because this game has a journey that is truly unlike any other game. This journey is a beautiful thing, and it was more beautiful than ever on Nostalrius.

I will never regret a single one of my 127 days /played here on Nostalrius. Why? Because I wasn’t playing for some imaginary end result. I was playing for the journey. Believe me, I am just as disappointed as anyone else that we will never see Naxx. But disappointment does not have to include regret.

I beg ALL of you, as a community... don’t regret the hours that you spent playing here, cherish them. You got to be a part of something that was truly incredible. Nostalrius was not like other private servers. Nostalrius was legendary. And there will probably never be a private server experience quite like Nostalrius ever again.

Cherish the time you spent here. Cherish the journey. Because in the end, thats what it is really all about."

STOP Quote.

Now this is a hero. My unknown hero. Not the average forum troll who delights in other ppls misfortune. Yeah, Blizz has made the latest content not so appealing to some, but for the love of THRALL stop with the bickering !!! Yes, it's Blizz's fault for releasing crappy content which lowered subs, but all of you who are here behaving like the inquisition, stop it ! You are only hurting yourself in the end. If tools like LFG and LFR began the dissolution of the community -> it's you who are going to deliver the final blow with your shitty attitudes and overgrown egos. For each constructive post there are 50 more that destroy it. Like one of my former GM's love to emphasise -> "Monkeys throwing their feces at the wall will eventually break down the wall". No wonder people log to retail once or twice a week and then go play on private servers.

Every time I log here on the forums I prepare myself for a walk on the "bad side of town". That's why I'm logging less frequently. You really wanna kill your precious MMO ? Keep at it then. Make the forums a place so undesirable and you will succeed. LFR takes care of the rest in-game. Yet here I am, still writing for a game I'm not playing anymore. Still writing because there are people out there, like my unknown hero and many more, who restore my faith in the community. But they are becoming a rare thing, while you, the people who have filled 300 pages with insults and mockery are becoming the vast majority. That is the really sad picture here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    No, I base it on the link the Random guy gave to the Nostralius Forums that had a thread about it.

also $150 for 8 months of Hardware costs. AHAHAHAHAHA.... oh the Naivety.
    He helped pay for it i think you missunderstood me i didnt say he intended to pay for everything with 150 dollars. To clarify it was a small sum to help out i never said it would pay for everything. "AHAHAHAHAHAHA" how funny and respectful you are and people wonder why the community in Wow is even more toxic these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    I personally would like to thank Mmo-champion for bothering to put the Nostalrius letter on the front page, thank you very much