Poll: Was Pol Pot taught in your school?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why is Pol Pot's Cambodian revolution rarely taught in schools?

You know, you probably played WoW, but have you ever wondered why when you look down on the ground in hellfire peninsula, there is a road made of skulls? Do you know what could had actually inspired some of this atrocities?

It's just really weird to see how little people talk about them in general, how even in WoW you can name your pet after him yet other big names like Hitler or Stalin aren't allowed, which leds me to believe that they don't really know or where never thought.

Deathmaster of Defilers of Arathor - Emerald Dream - US

10+ Year Old Account
    Uh, I certainly learned about the Khmer Rouge in school.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

What would you teach?

1. Communists took over.
    2. Killed millions who didn't follow the party line

Happened in lots of places, Cuba is the closest place to us, though Cuba only killed thousands.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    What would you teach?

1. Communists took over.

Happened in lots of places, Cuba is the closest place to us, though Cuba only killed thousands.
    Happened alot close to us than Cuba.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    What would you teach?

1. Communists took over.

The mountains of skulls, when I first saw it I thought they were aztec blood rituals.

I didn't in NJ.

Quote Originally Posted by rock4ever View Post
    Happened alot close to us than Cuba.
    goodness. the commies are in our base!
    time is money - money is power - power corrupts

For the longest time until I started visiting MMO-C, I thought Pol Pot was just a weird name that was made up.

It's the boring part of history. No would listen even if they taught it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    It's the boring part of history. No would listen even if they taught it.
    History isn't taught for entertainment

Still best avatar 2016

Mostly because American history at least tends to just focus on America. Also for world history in high school - again America - they struggle really hard to get to contemporary times. My AP history class 20-odd years ago only ever made it up to I think Korea.

And yes, it's a tragedy but we are full of tragedies we don't talk about or teach, Armenian genocide being another pretty big one.

Mostly it comes down to time and there being a ton of history to cover.

Quote Originally Posted by The Plague View Post
    You know, you probably played WoW, but have you ever wondered why when you look down on the ground in hellfire peninsula, there is a road made of skulls? Do you know what could had actually inspired some of this atrocities?

It's just really weird to see how little people talk about them in general, how even in WoW you can name your pet after him yet other big names like Hitler or Stalin aren't allowed, which leds me to believe that they don't really know or where never thought.
    There's only so many pages in a history book and you you can only devote so much to the many communist societies that have existed and the mass genocide and murders that occured to keep them propped up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    For the longest time until I started visiting MMO-C, I thought Pol Pot was just a weird name that was made up.
    It's this guy, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    Mostly because American history at least tends to just focus on America. Also for world history in high school - again America - they struggle really hard to get to contemporary times. My AP history class 20-odd years ago only ever made it up to I think Korea.

And yes, it's a tragedy but we are full of tragedies we don't talk about or teach, Armenian genocide being another pretty big one.

Mostly it comes down to time and there being a ton of history to cover.
    It's pretty much like the attempt to watch all YT videos.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    Mostly because American history at least tends to just focus on America. Also for world history in high school - again America - they struggle really hard to get to contemporary times.
    It wasn't being told about in European schools either. Other than the news reporting about the Red Khmer sometimes, it wasn't really being talked about at all. It was considered about as significant as a meteorite impact in some random desert. Never heard about the armenian thing either until recently.

- - - Updated - - -

The mountains of skulls, when I first saw it I thought they were aztec blood rituals.

I didn't in NJ.
    "The True Horde WILL come to pass. I have SEEN it. IT HAS SHOWN ME. I HAVE SEEN MOUNTAINS OF SKULLS AND RIVERS OF BLOOD. AND I WILL... HAVE... MY... WORLD!" - Garrosh Hellscream

This?

Quote Originally Posted by Tychus View Post
    goodness. the commies are in our base!
    Yeh but all their base are belong to us, so... no bigs.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

We learned about it in school, but that's Canada for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it was in Cambodia

It was. What kind of schools did you go to?

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    "The True Horde WILL come to pass. I have SEEN it. IT HAS SHOWN ME. I HAVE SEEN MOUNTAINS OF SKULLS AND RIVERS OF BLOOD. AND I WILL... HAVE... MY... WORLD!" - Garrosh Hellscream

This?
    Elliot Rodgers apparently also said that (mountain of skulls and rivers of blood). Never read his manifesto though.

I learned about it in school. But here are the two explanations that I can think of why the US wouldn't teach it in school.

1. The Vietnam War made the US kind of wash its hands of the region in terms of interest, so the US just kind of pretends nothing happens there.

2. The interactions between China, Vietnam and Cambodia are pretty inconvenient in terms of the domino theory, in that there were a number of communist states going to war with one another, rather than forming a new Asian Warsaw Pact.

I think its primarily a time thing because well, there's a lot of world history, and you can only cover so much in a limited timeframe, stuff simply gets left out. And that's before any bias sets in as to the type of material that's presented (either not information you want presented or simply deemed lower priority), so right upfront you've got two pretty heavy filters omitting what gets taught in a classroom.