Poll: How much would you really pay for a Classic server?

Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamuri View Post
    youtube ads... advertisement... ads... advertisement.
    Oh, so Youtube was advertising Nost? Wouldn't you think that blizzard would have sued them? Oh wait... you're talking about a video someone made talking about it... so you're confusing word of mouth with advertising too.

Quote Originally Posted by darklogrus View Post
    No different then Wows numbers now, of that how many are running 2-40 accounts.
    0.01%?

/tenchars

Quote Originally Posted by Brownshoe View Post
    That's not advertising. That's word of mouth. How do you not know the difference?
    Haha! What did I just read? Go look up the definition of advertise.

WoD has much less content than Vanilla, TBC, or WotLK. If you had legacy servers you wouldn't get new content, but you would get more content than the current expansion.
    WoD was amazing for the first day. Then it was shit. Endgame and content updates were severely lacking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    How does that work? 150,000 active players have several accounts each? Like he said. Worthless number.
    Yeah I know, legacy crew say active players, as if all 150k were on all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    No, vanilla doesn't interest me. I'd prefer something more modern, like TBC or Wrath.

I just wanna see the old world without much difficulty, probably won't bother with endgame.

Oh, so Youtube was advertising Nost? Wouldn't you think that blizzard would have sued them? Oh wait... you're talking about a video someone made talking about it... so you're confusing word of mouth with advertising too.
    I never said nost, though I didn't start the argument. You are just confused everyone is talking about the comments on youtube which is not an ad. I'm not at all confused about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuesdays View Post
    What is sad is 800k people thought it was a good idea, only 150k logged in once in a while. So much demand, such legacy.
    Compare that to WoW's retail numbers. 5.5 million subs out of 100 million registered accounts (Jan 2014). Of course, it's easier to pop your head into a free server than a sub one, so maybe the comparison isn't fair. WoW's accounts spanned 9+ years at the time of that statistic, so again, it's not apples to apples.

Point is, you'd obviously expect to have a LOT more registered accounts than active accounts. But I'll put my rose colored glasses back on, because you'd have to be crazy to like Vanilla wow, right? Let's go play in our garrisons instead guys!

What is sad is 800k people thought it was a good idea, only 150k logged in once in a while. So much demand, such legacy.
    150k were actively logging on.

What's sad is that there were over 12 million WoW subs, and now there's about 7 million less people playing. The game must be better now, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Varaben View Post
    Compare that to WoW's retail numbers. 5.5 million subs out of 100 million registered accounts (Jan 2014). Of course, it's easier to pop your head into a free server than a sub one, so maybe the comparison isn't fair. WoW's accounts spanned 9+ years at the time of that statistic, so again, it's not apples to apples.

Point is, you'd obviously expect to have a LOT more registered accounts than active accounts. But I'll put my rose colored glasses back on, because you'd have to be crazy to like Vanilla wow, right? Let's go play in our garrisons instead guys!
    Let's not forget with a sub fee, over 10+ years.

You are talking 80% drop in less than 1 year, completely free to play version of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    exactly..
    150,000 PLAYERS
    versus Blizzard's 5,500,000 players

That is where the numbers are getting mixed up. Their piddly a$$ servers cant handle 800,000 PEOPLE. Even Blizzard's most populous NA server does not have that many. The 800,000 that people are coming up with are characters. Just think of how many characters are in Blizzard's database? If each sub only has 20 that 110,000,000. I would imagine most people have more than 20.
    The 800k people are "coming up with" are registered Nostalrius accounts, aren't they? I don't think they are giving character numbers; that wouldn't make much sense, because some people have 1 and some have 20.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would I play the primitive version of a game that I am currently playing?

It's not like they've removed anything that was actually 'good' from the game. The old quests were shitty; the old mobs were homogeneous, auto-attacking blobs with various health/damage statistics; the overall game play was a bug-riddled, laughably tuned mess of tedious hack-n-slash mechanics.

Now, if I could pay to go back in time 10 years to when that sort of thing was new and exciting... I'd do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroguy View Post
    Let me give you a scenario mate, not sure why I'm spending time explaining to you this but hey looks like you need it.

When WoW came out, I bet you were around 13-17 years old maybe even younger, it was a new exciting game where you could play with real people!
    Open world, you could be a mighty Warrior or perhaps a powerful Mage.
    You choose your class and ran out exploring this massive world with no idea what to do, you spend 30 minutes trying to kill the first mob.

You are now in your mid 20's or possibly early 30's. What you enjoyed doing when you were a teenager changed.
    Now I can agree that the game isn't what it was, of course it isn't! If it was, I'd guarentee you the game would have 30k playing it right now dying for a change to the game.

Time for you and all the others to look forward, the past is gone mate, your first level 10 wont feel the same.
    It just so happens that I was 31 when Wow came out and played in a guild age 25 and over already then. I enjoyed my time in Vanilla immensely when it was new, still enjoy it today and find it superior to what is currently available on live.

It's astonishing how many people on this forum tend to speak for everyone and think they know it all. Coupled with the constant insults and intolerance, it makes for a pretty crappy environment to discuss anything.

What's sad is that there were over 12 million WoW subs, and now there's about 7 million less people playing. The game must be better now, right?
    That just means people aren't willing to pay for the current content. Imagine if it were free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

I'd possibly try it for a while, if it was free (including free client/account, not just sub), but pay for it, nope.

Let's not forget with a sub fee, over 10+ years.

You are talking 80% drop in less than 1 year, completely free to play version of the game.
    Completely free to play version that not many people know about (or are allowed to talk about) and is subject to being deleted at ANY moment (hence the news). Just saying, it's really impossible to compare. Certainly there IS some interest, but I doubt there's enough PAYING interest to make it worth Blizzard's while.

I'm one example of someone who stopped playing because it was FUN and yet I knew it couldn't last, so I didn't waste my time. I played for a few weeks, but after beginning to level and figure out what class to play, I realized it was too fragile. No way to know why the other hundreds of thousands stopped over the year or two, but I would guess some are in the same boat.

Are they evolving mmo's with a subscription fee?
    One is a video game. Two are consoles that I would imagine that even more people would have hear of than have heard of WoW. That is your comparison my friend. And yes, they have "evolved". And offer an optional "subscriber fee". As WoW is more or less an optional subscriber fee now since in went to a free Trial forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't normally do this but if this isn't an ad for Nost then I don't know what is. There are others. If you want to make a distinction between trailers and ads feel free but most people will understand this for exactly what it is.

The only reason I bothered is that it will be pointless in a day or so.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2016-04-08 at 08:09 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I can only imagine how low the numbers would have been if we only had vanilla. If I recall the numbers climbed all the way to wrath, or to w3, where the game officially ended for most of the fans; however the game is still alive and kicking.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I don't normally do this but if this isn't an ad for Nost then I don't know what is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxvxyiWS5Ao
    Thank you for posting this, I was actually about to post their channel link, I'll post it anyways.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Nostalrius

I wouldn't want to play on a Vanilla server - and in fact, I doubt that a lot of people would for a longer period of time if they had to pay for a sub. Yeah it's all fun and jolly for those guys to frolic around on Nostalrius or whatever, when there's no commitment to it. But playing long-term, constently, and paying for it? I don't think a lot of people would.

Everyone whines about content drought, about Blizzard doing to little, taking too long, etc. etc. And for the record: they ALWAYS did, all the way back to the days of the mighty Vanilla and the immaculate TBC. You really think people would pay for basically knowing that the game won't get updated and won't be getting any new content? 'Cause that's the whole point of private legacy servers. Preserving a nostalgic moment in time. It's all fun and jolly as long as people can approach it in a casual way and have a taste of their own memories. But once there's a commitment to it - we're talking about money, and staying subbed here - I BET the mentality suddenly changes.