Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Do you get pissed when you're not "serviced" as a recurring customer?

Title would be too long. But anyway, there's this long-standing korean cafe I have been visiting for literally more than a decade now. It's to a point where I'm their most recurring customer and every once in a while I get free drinks or a cookie, and very rarely when just short on money I get off the hook. I appreciate this generosity a lot. Now recently, there's another place I liked to regularly get my lunch from for several months now. Today I was short on money but didn't count on it, and it was barely by a dollar. So without saying anything much and sounding reasonably apologetic, I thought it'd be one of those cases where I'd be let go but expected to return what's necessary next time. But no, the person serving me gave me this shrug and offered to take the doughnut back when she realized I was barely off.

That just upsets me so much. So all I had for lunch was a sandwich and coffee, but I really fucking wanted that doughnut. After months of daily visits, I honestly expected the same generosity as the other place but fuck...

I get pissed when i visit my favorite places and start to take notice and treat me special, its #theworst.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, of course I don't get pissed. I do appreciate it when I get noticed and treated like a particularly good customer.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

15+ Year Old Account
    I've never experienced or expected that. I don't order stuff without being sure if I can pay for it though, and if I did the first thing I'd do is apologize and ask if they could take it back or if they can hold on to it while I go withdraw/transfer some money.

I'm a regular at a cafe close by, meet friends there most fridays and have for many years now. They say act friendly, give good service and occasionally give some free refills of coffee, but I don't think it'd ever occur to me or them that I should get something that other costumers wont or should be able to get stuff cheaper.

That's Norway though, culture differs a lot and you're probably used to one where regulars get more special treatment than I am.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    Title would be too long. But anyway, there's this long-standing korean cafe I have been visiting for literally more than a decade now. It's to a point where I'm their most recurring customer and every once in a while I get free drinks or a cookie, and very rarely when just short on money I get off the hook. I appreciate this generosity a lot. Now recently, there's another place I liked to regularly get my lunch from for several months now. Today I was short on money but didn't count on it, and it was barely by a dollar. So without saying anything much and sounding reasonably apologetic, I thought it'd be one of those cases where I'd be let go but expected to return what's necessary next time. But no, the person serving me gave me this shrug and offered to take the doughnut back when she realized I was barely off.

That just upsets me so much. So all I had for lunch was a sandwich and coffee, but I really fucking wanted that doughnut. After months of daily visits, I honestly expected the same generosity as the other place but fuck...
    Can you be happy if it was offered? Yes
    Can you be mad if it wasn't offered? Absolutely not.

It's a perk but you're by no means entitled. The fact you feel angry about it unfortunately means you felt entitled and that is a bad character trait.

Also, the most annoying part of this post is the "all I had for lunch was a sandwich and coffee"... That's enough for a lunch? Sure it might not have made you full, but it's not like you were going without a lunch.

PS. You could have just asked a colleague for a dollar.

I don't think I've ever been short on money when paying, I always check to make sure I have money. If I were a restaurant owner and you shorted me, I wouldn't be happy, long term customer or no and I certainly would expect you'd make it up when you returned next time.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

7+ Year Old Account
    Really? You're mad because you were short on money for something and they didn't give it to you for free? The company treating you well should be expected, not getting free shit because you don't have enough money isn't something you can be upset about.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I don't think I've ever been short on money when paying, I always check to make sure I have money. If I were a restaurant owner and you shorted me, I wouldn't be happy, long term customer or no and I certainly would expect you'd make it up when you returned next time.
    Despite the fact I completely disagree with the OP, just to clarify for him. He's mad that even that option wasn't given to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Zandro View Post
    Really? You're mad because you were short on money for something and they didn't give it to you for free? The company treating you well should be expected, not getting free shit because you don't have enough money isn't something you can be upset about.
    It was one instance and a dollar or slightly less off. I have every right to be pretty bitter considering I'm hungry right now. It's not "free" just a little off.

Deleted
    Places do things differently. Where I work, all the stock is counted and we get in trouble if the stock levels or tills are down - even if just by a little bit. It's the company's stock and it isn't usually in the cashier's power to just let someone have a free item or pay less for it. You can't really expect a business to lose out on a few pennies just because you're short on cash and expecting some sort of special service just because you frequent the place. Some places might be happy to do that, others aren't. I know I would get shafted where I work if I had let you have that doughnut 'discounted'.

I used to go to a Japanese steakhouse, they would always find me a seat quickly being one person, and normally hooked me up, before times got hard in 2009 I went there once a week or greater. They closed now and good meals are a rarity.

Bad service I remember, a place refused to seat me back in 2001 because I was a single person party, I still bad mouth them and if its on the way I will stop to take a dump (and not flush).

7+ Year Old Account
    It was one instance and a dollar or slightly less off. I have every right to be pretty bitter considering I'm hungry right now. It's not "free" just a little off.
    If you didn't have money for it, you shouldn't have ordered it. You have no right to be bitter, you have every right to not return to the establishment if you were unhappy with the service they offered you - which you shouldn't be.

Do you get pissed when you want something and can't pay for it? No. Be made at yourself not the business that didn't want to give things away. This attitude that if you buy something enough now you are owed something more can be applied to most of the complaint threads in these forums.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

You said "Buttfuck"

But in all seriousness....you should never expect to get anything for free no matter how many times you go there. When it happens...be thankful...but never take it for granted that they will cover for you when you are short on cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyalo View Post
    Despite the fact I completely disagree with the OP, just to clarify for him. He's mad that even that option wasn't given to him.
    They don't understand how business work then. Many places will punish or document employees that are over or under in their till and under for inventory. So because he wants to just pay whenever he is asking for an employee to steal for them. If they weren't looking at it in a selfish light they might understand that.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    I would guess that the OP has never worked in a cafe or shop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah my regular bar they all know me and some days they're feeling generous and give me a beer or two on the house but others they just don't for whatever reason. I'm happy when it happens but I understand they have a business to run.

7+ Year Old Account
    I am curious though... Are you voting for Bernie Sanders?

Personally when I have a customer come in, if they want something and they're slightly short on money I just change the cost of the item to match. Depending on how polite/regular the customer is of course.
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

10+ Year Old Account

In the grocery store I go to, they have some kind of a policy that allows them to forgive you a dollar or two if you are about to spend a lot but a bit short of money. I'm not sure how it works exactly, and I never had to resort to it, but I've seen a few people paying with cash, for example, paying $60 instead of $62 or something. It is nice, but, again, it is not guaranteed.

Eh, no, I wouldn't be upset. They don't owe you anything just because you are their recurring customer. It is nice when you can get some benefits off it, but I wouldn't count on it, and it is definitely up to the owner of the cafe whether to give such benefits or not, and not up to simple employees. If they don't have such policies, then the employee letting you off the hook would be violating the rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.