Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post
    No one cares, and yet these very forums continue to be active discussion Legion...

Or is it more likely you live in a bubble, and are confusing your very limited perspective with that of other's.

More people care about Legion than they do about Nostralius. Unfortunately for yourself, there are more people currently subscribed to WoD playing content over a year old than Nostralius has ever had, and they're even paying money to do it.

Sorry, but that is the reality, whether or not you choose to accept it.
    You misunderstood, no one cares that Legion is in that stage bla bla bla bla bla whatever else you said. Obviously, people care for Legion. They have little else.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    Bashing PIRACY always makes better news than launching anticipated content. Theres a much better message to be heard in shutting down an illegal hub that was damaging the game. Unless you was playing in that server it was great news to see it removed and long term it can only help official wow.
    LOL

They should stop development and just bash piracy then, you are saying that's better news.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by njeebje View Post
    --SNIP--

Don't post spam
    Here I'll tell it again, but give different words so that I don't plagiarize myself. You're argument against a server that you feel you deserve completely, is a picture of a person, looks like jesus, giving no criticism of your own. I can see how you clearly deserve a vanilla server from those scumbags down at blizzard seeing as you deserve what something like what jagex ended up giving because who cares right. This community of vanilla warriors, who are they and what are they doing now that they can't play wow err I mean vanilla wow now that it is gone forever, again. Ten years from now they will speak of the day vanilla version 2 was brought to its knees and made everyone cry that their beloved second chance at adolescence was ruined.

Had read many of the pages here. The basic question still remains. What did they gain by shutting it down? Code is being released to the public we will have hundreds of Nostalrius's up and running in a few weeks....

Was reading also before about upcoming private servers changing their hosts from France to Russia or Ukraine and so on. So what did they archieve actually besides hurting themselves in pr? They didnt kill Nostalrius community it will be up and running very soon and from locations that are out of their reach.

Also a few thoughts from soneone with over 700 days played on retail that geunily loved this game and still does.

I have quited the game mid MoP and havent purchased yet WoD. The main problem for me with returning to retail is that i have no reason to do so. Its not because the game is bad or because i am a blizzard hater. Its purely because i have no community or guild to come back to. Blizzard desecrated its realm communities over the last years. Destroyed its guilds transformed WoW from a MMO to a single player game with MMO features.

How many of you guys that play WOD move out of your Garrisons? When was the last time you did so? When was the last time you added someone as a friend? How many of your old friends and guildies are still active? How many of your traditional guilds (on your realms) are still active?

I rolled on Nostalrius 6 months ago joined a guild at lvl 27-28 and went from puging MC with other guilds to killi8ng Nefarian and clearing all available content. We where waiting the release of AQ and where preparing for it.

How can you create that kind of atmosphere and bonding between players/people atm in retail? I knew people from my realm. I recognised them in BGs and pve. I knew the good guilds i knew the good players i had again a sense of community.

This is what MMOs are for and thats what makes them live and thrive for many years. The communities. Thats what Blizzard lost after wotlk and this wont return with Legion. You will buy it play it and quit after 2-3 months due to sheer boredom.

Gullds and communities keep people playing. We do not have that atm in retail thats why many of us left. Not everything was pleasant on Nostalrius gameplay wise. Expansions after Vanilla have improved on a ton of things but they missed out on the most important one. Its an MMO. We are supposed to play with others, for others and grow up as players together with our friends and guilds. We cannot have that right now in retail. Player interaction is non existant its nearly impossible to make new friends.

Blizzard had every right to shut it down just to be clear but it really doesnt accomplish anything. We do not play retail anymore because it cant offer us what we need from an MMO and we gonna keep searching for it in other games or other private servers.
    Last edited by MarizzaDraenor; 2016-04-09 at 09:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mokapse View Post
    Nost was actually popular for a long time. It started almost a year ago,
    I think at this point I'm going to go to bed, because I'm unable to discern just how far you had to stretch that. Less than half a year at 3k players, and we're calling this "popular for a long time."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EzG View Post
    Here I'll tell it again, but give different words so that I don't plagiarize myself. You're argument against a server that you feel you deserve completely, is a picture of a person, looks like jesus, giving no criticism of your own. I can see how you clearly deserve a vanilla server from those scumbags down at blizzard seeing as you deserve what something like what jagex ended up giving because who cares right. This community of vanilla warriors, who are they and what are they doing now that they can't play wow err I mean vanilla wow now that it is gone forever, again. Ten years from now they will speak of the day vanilla version 2 was brought to its knees and made everyone cry that their beloved second chance at adolescence was ruined.
    Not trying to sound like a dick or spam myself, but don't reply to spam posts, mods will get cranky.

Deleted
    And furthermore, if Blizzard finds it difficult to care about remaining ~X million paying players, what makes you think they even blink for the 3000 Nostralius players?
    Their community was much larger then 3000 players and I expect a lot more would follow or atleast try it out if it were blizzard who ran it because I think many would rather not play on a private server but unfortunately there isn't any other way right now.

Quote Originally Posted by savras84 View Post
    Actually dumb argument is on your side. People won't interract with others if they don't have to. Why bother finding group if you can solo?
    If you admit this then it's very obvious why social interaction in modern wow is dead.

Look at Vanilla servers where you have to look for groups, you have to be member of guild despite lack of perks, social interaction is very much alive.

Why it is so?
    Because they are forced to.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Are they not obligated to listen to their consumers opinions, much like they have in the past to gather information about specific changes we've had to dat
    They can if they want to but they are NOT obligated to do so. Thats their call.

They can just as easily tell you go go jump in a lake.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    if a private server isn't making any money off of it, it seems like a shitty thing to close it down like that.

must be butthurt that less and less people actually want the real thing.
    By that logic, I can take a copy of a game and distribute it, so long as I'm not charging for it. It doesn't matter if I'm making profit from it, what matters is I'm taking something that somebody else made, and distributing it without paying them for making that product.
    Quote Originally Posted by Histidine View Post
    WoW is great.
    Not sure what game people are playing; I love the way things are.
    What bosses will be in the Deathwing Raid?
    Quote Originally Posted by MauroDiogo View Post
    Leg 1, Leg 2, Hind Legs is a duo boss fight, Wings, Tail, Head and last Heroic mode only boss is his Chin. Totally optional and only for those hardcore enough. It's jaw dropping!

Deleted
    I think at this point I'm going to go to bed, because I'm unable to discern just how far you had to stretch that. Less than half a year at 3k players, and we're calling this "popular for a long time."
    I would call half a year a long time, it's half of the time the server was online. Personally I played in December and by then it had the 10k+ online. According to their numbers, it was still constantly growing. Even that 3k is more than any other private realm ever.

We do not play retail anymore because it cant offer us what we need from an MMO and we gonna keep searching for it in other games or other private servers.
    So you dont get what you want legally which is your excuse for playing on illegal servers, using stolen content.

Got it.

Nobody talking to each other in any of the groups is the problem.
    That and the world is absolutely dead too. I completely agree group content is not dead -- it's more alive than Classic or TBC ever was! But of course, that isn't all content you experience. And that is what makes an MMORPG feel more desolate, is when the world is empty with anything but you and the NPCs. You will see maybe 1 or 2 people every every or so (In my case), but usually nothing more or around that. It's pathetic, and quite sad compared to what an MMORPG should be. Subjective I know but really, it's desolate in that regard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MarizzaDraenor View Post
    Gullds and communities keep people playing. We do not have that atm in retail thats why many of us left. Not everything was pleasant on Nostalrius gameplay wise. Expansions after Vanilla have improved on a ton of things but they missed out on the most important one. Its an MMO. We are supposed to play with others, for others and grow up as players together with our friends and guilds. We cannot have that right now in retail. Player interaction is non existant its nearly impossible to make new friends.
    This

And the sad thing about it is that people are so accostumed to what the game has become that any step in the interactive direction will only provoke complaints from the community.

Remember when Ghostcrawler tried to remove portals so players had to move their asses or ask mages to get somewhere ? It didn't last long.

The server hosting made just as much money as when Nost was the one paying them. It literally didn't change the server hostings financial position at all. They received just as much money as before, for the same reason as before.
    Yes, they did. They cut out the middle man. When players donate to the nost team, who then pay the hosting provider, the host has at least a small fraction of plauable deniablitity. "They just paid us for a server, we maybe didnt know what they were doing with that server. All we knew is that people connected to it and data went back and forth". As soon as players are directly paying the host for a WoW server, that entire eqation changes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    You misunderstood, no one cares that Legion is in that stage bla bla bla bla bla whatever else you said. Obviously, people care for Legion. They have nothing else.

I certainly don't care about Legion. I bought WoD in pre-purchase for 50E lured by lvl 90 boost. I enjoyed my boosted DK 3 hours and never played him again. That's how instant gratification works on me. I never bothered to renew subscription and play WoD and certainly don't regret it.

Why?

I hate all the changes made over years and removal of social interaction.

Also game becomes more stupid every expansion. In earlier expansions players were more one of many heroes. But now everything is centered around each player. Garrisons, followers, handing out artifacts to everybody. Isn't that stupid at this point? What next? Private army or perhaps private universe.

Had read many of the pages here. The basic question still remains. What did they gain by shutting it down? Code is being released to the public we will have hundreds of Nostalrius's up and running in a few weeks....

Was reading also before about upcoming private servers changing their hosts from France to Russia or Ukraine and so on. So what did they archieve actually besides hurting themselves in pr? They didnt kill Nostalrius community it will be up and running very soon and from locations that are out of their reach.

Also a few thoughts from soneone with over 700 days played on retail that geunily loved this game and still does.

I have quited the game mid MoP and havent purchased yet WoD. The main problem for me with returning to retail is that i have no reason to do so. Its not because the game is bad or because i am a blizzard hater. Its purely because i have no community or guild to come back to. Blizzard desecrated its realm communities over the last years. Destroyed its guilds transformed WoW from a MMO to a single player game with MMO features.

How many of you guys that play WOD move out of your Garrisons? When was the last time you did so? When was the last time you added someone as a friend? How many of your old friends and guildies are still active? How many of your traditional guilds (on your realms) are still active?

I rolled on Nostalrius 6 months ago joined a guild at lvl 27-28 and went from puging MC with other guilds to killi8ng Nefarian and clearing all available content. We where waiting the release of AQ and where preparing for it.

How can you create that kind of atmosphere and bonding between players/people atm in retail? I knew people from my realm. I recognised them in BGs and pve. I knew the good guilds i knew the good players i had again a sense of community.

This is what MMOs are for and thats what makes them live and thrive for many years. The communities. Thats what Blizzard lost after wotlk and this wont return with Legion. You will buy it play it and quit after 2-3 months due to sheer boredom.

Blizzard had every right to shut it down just to be clear but it really doesnt accomplish anything. We do not play retail anymore because it cant offer us what we need from an MMO and we gonna keep searching for it in other games or other private servers.
    My guild is less than it was before, but to be fair, before I was only ever in one guild that was every really a community, I was in many that weren't. On the flip side though, I have more friends now than I ever have. I add people on a regular basis because they join my raids through LFG each week, and I get to meet people I otherwise wouldn't. Likewise I'm not forced to raid with people I hate just because they are in the same guild, I GET to raid with the people I want to, because I can literally raid with any other horde player in the entire game, not just those on my server or in my guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by Histidine View Post
    WoW is great.
    Not sure what game people are playing; I love the way things are.
    What bosses will be in the Deathwing Raid?
    Quote Originally Posted by MauroDiogo View Post
    Leg 1, Leg 2, Hind Legs is a duo boss fight, Wings, Tail, Head and last Heroic mode only boss is his Chin. Totally optional and only for those hardcore enough. It's jaw dropping!

Deleted
    The server hosting made just as much money as when Nost was the one paying them. It literally didn't change the server hostings financial position at all. They received just as much money as before, for the same reason as before.
    Actually, legally it completely changed their position. Previously they were a company getting paid for hosting some servers.
    Now they were a company hosting a service.

Previously the fact that their tenant was doing something illegal was not their thing to police.
    But after receiving direct payments (note - not from the tenants, but from people using the service) they became a provider of the service.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Joodoc View Post
    By that logic, I can take a copy of a game and distribute it, so long as I'm not charging for it. It doesn't matter if I'm making profit from it, what matters is I'm taking something that somebody else made, and distributing it without paying them for making that product.
    If it's successful why isn't Blizzard offering it then ?

Quote Originally Posted by Aehl View Post
    So you dont get what you want legally which is your excuse for playing on illegal servers, using stolen content.

Got it.
    Because Blizzard don't give us any legal way to get it despite a quite large niche market open to this product ?

That's the whole issue.

10+ Year Old Account

This sense of community has certainly dulled in recent years, but there is tons left to find. I have changed servers a couple times in an attempt to be better in terms of pve although I still talk and raid with several old guildies. Most of my alts end up joining random guilds through trade and almost always are guilds full of friends who have been raiding for years or a couple people who just want to have a friendly chat with while they level or gear up for pvp or pve content. I completely agree that it isn't what it used to be, but it isn't completely gone. Garrisons are a good excuse to say, when is the last time you left your garrison, but in the same way over the passed few expansions I have also sat afking in org or undercity or dalaran for hours on end with nothing to do because maybe I already raided or didn't want to quest or what have you. It's all still there, just slightly changed. Wod received a lot of negative feedback and I don't know where it came from, but I'm also not contesting it because it just a matter of opinion, but to throw it to the dirt and call it a ruined game could be a tad far fetched, although that isn't what you are saying per se and not to be unfair to you personally, it is just a common theme among people who have opted to leave the game this expansion or last..

Quote Originally Posted by Aehl View Post

Got it.
    Hypocrisy at its best. I wonder how many of you guys that take this approach have used the net to stream or download a movie, a tv show, a song, or other games.

Deleted
    They didn't have a choice really.
    As long as the admins were running it, Blizzard has been looking away.
    But now that the hosting company started getting paid directly - not from the people hiring the servers, but from the people using the service running on those servers - they became a commercial provider of "World of Warcraft" service. Operating in the same country Blizzard is operating.

It's not so much a question of "what did they gain". Blizzard had no choice but to take them down.

Also, I'm a bit sceptical about that "hundred of Nostalrius's" up and running. There might be one or two. In the end one is probably good enough to keep running. And life goes on.. until they sidestep and Blizzard takes it down.