Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    Oh wise up! Do you honestly expect all of us will just ignore this huge ass elephant in the room?
    Whut? I'm pretty sure anyone remotely interested in any of them is already very much aware. I just mentioned it so you could edit them out so you wouldn't get infracted and banned and not be able to take part in the discussion, it's totally your call Mods have said its a bannable offense so don't tihnk it will be just 5 points. I'm not suggesting you have to care about that at all
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    I'll copy what I want to, when I want if you do what I want!
    Fixed that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    By looking at 393 pages, it is safe to say "private server is not 100% wrong."
    Otherwise, we will not see that many pages.
    Ok Sherlock. Count how many posts are negative toward private servers... Think McFly, Think!

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    Well hey just think they just policed a private server quite well. Maybe they could focus on bot websites and auto kicks if they were not having to also look at private servers.
    And blizzard listens to everyone and its hard to say they listened to the nonhardcore when they nonhardcore complain about mythic all the time.

Your just butthurt that a company protected its interest.
    You seem to know how they operate rather intimately but speculation and ejaculation are two different things. WoW may be the best lover you've ever had but most people consider sodomy to be crime.

10+ Year Old Account
    They what is your argument here? Blizzard should do everything to keep your feels from being hurt?
    Yes exactly.

What.....I dont even know what to say anymore.
    Addicts gonna addict?

Sounds like someone complaining about his dealer not getting the good stuff anymore. Moral obligation for a company to produce as he sees fit, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    I agree with most of your post, but I thought I should address this part. Yes, it's 150k active accounts, but not players. Like you just said, you own six official WoW accounts. To assume all players in Nostalrius had just one account is, well, naive, at best. I assume there were multi-boxers in Nostalrius, and lots of people would have at least another account, so saying 150k active acounts = 150k players is, well, wrong, at the very least.

But assuming it's not wrong, that 150k accounts does indeed mean 150k players. Assuming that is correct, as I said before, one of the vanilla supporters' main claims is that 'classic servers' are something in high demand. When you have only a 18.75% retention rate when the product is freely given, that goes in direct opposition with their claim, that it's a product in high demand, when the numbers tell us that it's not, due to its low retention rate.
    I don't have the specifics, and someone correct me if I am wrong, but multiboxing wasn't entirely allowed on the server, but it did happen and I saw it everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelzza View Post
    Yes exactly.
    Holy naiveity batman!

Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    Can't really have a balanced conversation here. Merely saying the name of certain private servers results in infractions.
    True. It's almost like there's a rule about not doing it.
    But of course that rule is unfair. Because you want to talk about (named) illegal servers, so you should be allowed to do so no matter what. Right?

(Please don't reply with anything about freedom of speech. I beg you.)
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Namalia View Post
    I'm 38. I've played WoW since 2006. I enjoyed Classic/TBC when I played it because I was new to MMOs and DIDN'T KNOW ANY BETTER. Now, when I look back on it, I have nothing but HORRIBLE recollections about how bad the community was, how you always had to lick raid & guild leaders' boots to do anything (even if you were a great healer, as I was), and how you'd ask a question and get a bunch of garbage answers. Nost would be no different. It's the same people that played back then, so the community would be as rotten as it was then.

No. I'll take the modern game where I can still get everything done, but on my own terms.
    I always enjoyed the levelling part most, which has become a drag in current WoW. I hate doing the new Azeroth. I hate one-shotting every mob and just running through everything. I don't want to gimp myself either.

I never got much into max-level stuff, except doing the heroic raids in Pandaria. It feels more action packed and just executing than playing with a good feeling and going forward to me. I never got much sense of achievement from heroic raids, since it never really changed. My thought process never changed. Throne of Thunder I did enjoy, since there were so many gimmicks. SoO just felt more of usual raiding/dungeons so I burned out fast.
    Vanilla does have simpler bosses and mechanics, but I don't find the retail ones hard at all either, just different amount of buttons to rotate.

Community I can't really say, but I liked the old WoW. There were more stories happening. MoP it was basically our guild and 1-2 other people. There was nothing else memorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    No I'm not proving your point. I'm proving that the anti-legacy servers arguments are false. I even explicitely said it. Do you only read what you want to read ?
    No, I read your entire post, and what you said actually agrees with what I've been claiming, though I know it wasn't your original intention. Understand this: if people claim something is in 'high demand' and is 'enjoyable', then its retention rate would not be as low as Nostalrius' retention rate is.

Actually, something NOT free should have a much higher retention rate than something free, so that's playing into Nost's favour (or rather, retail WoW's disfavour) here.
    Actually, it's the other way around. Something free should have a higher retention rate than something with a paid subscription fee, as it wouldn't be competing with the rest of the players' monthly expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    I dont have to.
    Someone else will do that for me and create new Nostralius.
    It's in Blizzard's best interest to come to terms with that.
    They will have less players every time Blizzard shuts them down though.
    Losing your progress over and over again will get tiresome eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    Addicts gonna addict?

Sounds like someone complaining about his dealer not getting the good stuff anymore. Moral obligation for a company to produce as he sees fit, lol.
    TO be fair, if you knew your dealer had the good stuff at home but was only gonna sell you the shit stuff, you'd find a better dealer Your analogy is sound
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Namalia View Post
    The game is better,
    Wrong.
    the community is better,
    Laughable, you're not even trying to be credible here.
    the QoL features are better,
    Debatable.
    and every player can see all of the content/story if they meet Blizzard's standards,
    It was already the case before, the standards were just higher.
    not some raid leader's arbitrary numbers.
    There is actually a MUCH more stringent gating through gear than there ever was in Vanilla. Much, much worse (amusingly, the "raid leader's arbitrary number to be allowed to enter" only started to appear when WoW turned casual in WotLK, through the infamous "GearScore" ; until then, in TBC, raid leaders were more interested in if you knew how to play and how to gear yourself than the amount of epics you had ; basically you try to shoot down Vanilla compared to the new design, but you end up doing the opposite).
    Nost's community(though I never played there) would be filled with the same sort of elitism that existed in Classic, which is what those players would have missed from back in the day, being on a high horse.
    The "elitism" from this time is mostly an invention on the forums coming from people who never experienced it. Vanilla was a discovery for everyone, and though there WAS elitism, it was actually lower than the one I noticed in WoD (and usually it was more justified, unlike the 5-man heroes who look down on you because you have the *gasp* APPROPRIATE GEAR for the instance instead of being three tiers above).
    [uote]No, Classic & TBC were good in the day because we didn't know better, and there wasn't anything better out there. Now there is, and Classic & TBC can go DIAF.[/QUOTE]
    You don't know any better today, obviously, considering the amount of false facts in your post.

I don't really understand how anyone can come to the logical conclusion that Blizzard would suddenly decide to take action against a specific private server unless it was becoming financially intelligent to do so. Continuing on from that, if it is financially damaging to have competition, then it can only logically be financially beneficial to create the service yourself.

I played on a private server for a bit, Vanilla is as shithouse as I remember it. However, the demand is clearly there, even if it is niche. People run private WoW servers with a small handful of people (or less); there is no rational argument that can be made that it wouldn't be financially profitable to run a vanilla server even if only 15k subscribed to it at rates similar to official servers. It is really confusing; it's like a money tap that just isn't being turned on as far as I can see. The fact that it is only a fraction of what the company makes in total is neither here nor there; money is money.

AH, so when you steal something its fine, others not so much.
    There are hundred page threads everywhere regarding why piracy isn't theft, no matter how much the content distributors try to paint it as such. One deprives the owning party of the capacity to use or sell the item in question, the other creates a copy without affecting the initial product. It's not a winning argument.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    I wonder how many would play if those servers would cost 10$ each month...
    Pretty much all of them.

Does it bug anyone else that the title of this thread says Nostralius? I want to edit it so bad!

While I know its Blizzards right to do with what they want when it comes to their property, it definitely sucks. I've put in over 1000 hours into P99 and enjoyed every minute of it. I know EQ isn't nearly as big as WoW but EQ is legendary in its own right. Thinking of what made WoW legendary was definitely the introduction of the game. While it is nostalgia talking on the most part, it doesn't make any difference. There is a crowd for this type of thing and it should not be ignored. While I didn't touch Nostalrius, looking through comments, videos, and pics... It just sucks that that community was just ripped apart. Hopefully this can lead to something like P99, until then, KEEP UP THE FIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    They will have less players every time Blizzard shuts them down though.
    Losing your progress over and over again will get tiresome eventually.
    Yes it remains to be seen how much of Nostalrius' data is salvaged. If it crops up again in a few weeks on a new hosting site with peoples old accounts still intact... Then the game of "whck-a-mole" will have changed considerably. I highly doubt they'll pull anything like it off but my knowledge of the actual programming workings of any of this could be written on the back of a postage stamp.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzza View Post
    I don't have the specifics, and someone correct me if I am wrong, but multiboxing wasn't entirely allowed on the server, but it did happen and I saw it everyday.
    It was bannable always. Even just following with your other character just to buff was bannable.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankerCee View Post
    Does it bug anyone else that the title of this thread says Nostralius? I want to edit it so bad!
    Holy fuck yes, but what can you do