Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    endothelial cells.

can you please link a confirmed case of heart attack in a bear? What species of bear was this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqKNfyUPzoU
    that's 15 minutes that explain it.
    Last edited by phillys; 2016-04-09 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    99% of the replies in here don't actually answer my question lol. I specifically said dont focus on creation vs evolution but apparently thats what people want to talk about. I am STILL confused as to why our weak point is our veins (not even the heart).

I find it hilarious the way people respond on here like they have any clue to whats going on lol. We dont know and thats the best part, but some of you people are so insecure you reply as if you had a vast knowledge on the subject.

I am still looking for a SOLID answer as to why our veins are our demise more often than not. Even bears and other animals die of heart attacks, its actually really crazy how poorly designed (evolved) the cardiovascular system is.
    Did you read my post? That's about as solid as it gets. We're "designed" to be "good enough". Cardiovascular issues can be attributed to this, along with the inherent nature & limitations of the material we are made of - that's all it really is. Sedentary lifestyles and "unusual" diets etc takes it's toll as well, exaggerating the problem further in us in relation to other animals.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Answer:

The body wasn't designed by a system capable of perfection

It went through millions of years of evolution by natural selection, and evolution makes a lot of mistakes. Either features that are bad, but not selected against due to having little to no effect on one's ability to survive and reproduce, or features that made sense in earlier forms (like our laryngeal nerve, which has a terrible pathway in humans, but a pathway that makes sense if you go back as far as our fishy ancestors. That trait simply stayed with us for all those million years.)

I suggest reading the book Why Evolution is True. It has a whole chapter devoted to the question of why our bodies are so poorly designed. And the short answer is, because evolution is an imperfect designer.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by phillys View Post
    endothelial cells.

can you please link a confirmed case of heart attack in a bear? What species of bear was this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqKNfyUPzoU
    that's 15 minutes that explain it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fCX...&nohtml5=False

No autopsy was performed or anything could have just been old age but a heart attack seems at least possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Did you read my post? That's about as solid as it gets. We're "designed" to be "good enough". Cardiovascular issues can be attributed to this, along with the inherent nature & limitations of the material we are made of - that's all it really is. Sedentary lifestyles and "unusual" diets etc takes it's toll as well, exaggerating the problem further in us in relation to other animals.
    My father was active to 40 years old, how did he have a heart attack? He was insanely fit as a child, he still holds the record for pull ups at our local school at 68 at age FIFTEEN. Ya you read that right, 68 LEGIT pullups at age 15. I can prove this btw, just PM me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am STILL confused as to why our weak point is our veins (not even the heart).
    Because, on the whole, it very rarely stops us from reproducing. If a feature of the human body is "bad", but not bad enough to kill us before we reproduce and raise our offspring, it will be passed on.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

10+ Year Old Account
    not really. It can increase risk factors, but your genes don't automatically expose you to the actual causes. You can take genetically similar/identical people, have them live different lifestyles and end up with completely different outcomes. And unfortunately, the environmental factors alter which genes are switched on or off making you susceptible to particular diseases - including cardiovascular diseases - right up until you're 12 years old, but most is done in-utero and in the first 3 years of life.
    I only said it plays a major role in the amount of people who die from said causes
    example: a bunch of people have genetically passed on "high blood pressure"
    Last edited by Krekal; 2016-04-09 at 06:14 PM.
    im cool pls respodn

A better question is why the tubes for breathing and eating cross each other.

As for the other and arteries and veins. Have you ever seen any kind of tube/plumbing that doesn't get clogged in some way after time? Maybe its just the nature of tubes than anything else.

My father was active to 40 years old, how did he have a heart attack? He was insanely fit as a child, he still holds the record for pull ups at our local school at 68 at age FIFTEEN. Ya you read that right, 68 LEGIT pullups at age 15. I can prove this btw, just PM me.
    What I said still applies. You don't become "immune" to those sort of problems no matter how hard you try, because you are still limited by your biology. Even if he ate the perfect diet and was as physically fit as a god, there are still other factors (in the case of a heart attack: stress, drugs etc can be a cause). And in the end you can still get screwed over by your genetics.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

99% of the replies in here don't actually answer my question lol. I specifically said dont focus on creation vs evolution but apparently thats what people want to talk about. I am STILL confused as to why our weak point is our veins (not even the heart).
    You should probably start with the basics of biology. That'd be a good starting point.

I find it hilarious the way people respond on here like they have any clue to whats going on lol. We dont know and thats the best part, but some of you people are so insecure you reply as if you had a vast knowledge on the subject.
    The problem is the other way around. You don't know enough to know that you're not posing a grand and deep question.

I am still looking for a SOLID answer as to why our veins are our demise more often than not.
    It's not. That's a solid answer.

People keep saying because we are just made well enough to produce and thats it. Well wtf that makes no sense as well, that means 13 year olds could keel over too but that dont happen.

Why talk on something you know nothing about? I have no problem with people replying as long as they phrase their answer as a question, but if you come in here and try to push your "knowledge" on people you are gonna get laughed outta the thread from here on out.

Answer this internet geniuses. My father was one of the fittest people you could imagine, as stated earlier he holds the state (world?) record at 68 pullups at age 15. He was a skinny farmboy with crazy strong arms, this continued through his life he was never sedentary. At age 40 he had a massive heart attack and in the next 15 years he had 3 more only to die at 56.

Explain that away geniuses.

For cardiovascular health, there's a J curve. At some point you can increase your level of physical activity, then if you increase your level of physical activity beyond that your risks of heart attack increases rises as you are more active with various different activities having different risk rates.

later. I didn't answer your questions just to get insulted. $10 says you haven't even watched that vid I linked that explains exactly what the mechanisms of a cardiovascular event are and what happens in your veins.

People keep saying because we are just made well enough to produce and thats it. Well wtf that makes no sense as well, that means 13 year olds could keel over too but that dont happen.
    No, it really doesn't. Somewhere around 40 would be the age where we'd expect selective pressures for health to be as strong. We'd expect selective pressure to continue through sexual maturity and at least long enough to raise those children.
    Why talk on something you know nothing about?
    You do see the irony here, right?

For cardiovascular health, there's a J curve. At some point you can increase your level of physical activity, then if you increase your level of physical activity beyond that your risks of heart attack increases rises as you are more active with various different activities having different risk rates.

later. I didn't answer your questions just to get insulted. $10 says you haven't even watched that vid I linked that explains exactly what the mechanisms of a cardiovascular event are and what happens in your veins.
    You cant say stuff like that without giving examples and specific cases. I know old dudes that have cut iron their entire lives (when you cut down raw metal you get better prices at a scrapyard, its hard work) and are absolutely healthy. I could bring a guy onto this forum even to twitch TV, he is 91 and is healthier than i am!

I dont know who is agreeeing or disagreeing with me here but im still sticking to genetics and it DOES NOT MATTER how you live your life, you are going to die at a certain age no matter what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by chewie49 View Post
    im just amused that people talk about how poorly designed the body is like they've made their own designs
    i've thought about it.

i'd give us immortal, non-aging bodies. with no need for food, sleep, bathing, cutting nails, or using the bathroom. nothing shuts down from old age, no cancer can happen. it'd be so much better than our current flawed uselessness.

anyway, to op's question, i'd ask why it's designed so poorly as to age and die or get sick at all.

Deleted
    Humans simply were never meant to live that long.
    How could nature have expected us to rise up the foodchain that fast so the old people don't get eaten anymore?

The human body is made by evolution, hence it's perfect for the purpose. Unfortunately we humans have changed the purpose way faster than evolution can change our bodies.
    That's a recurring thing with humans; our technology evolves faster than us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of the things you consider failures are the result of divergence from circumstances of evolution.

ok. see ya. you're not even interested in how genes and evolution work, or how the cardiovascular system works or what a heart attack even is. nothing you've even said even shows you've read any of the answers. You want to tell me bears are susceptible to heart attack when it's known that they are immune to them. Kluge's have been explained to you, but you have no interest despite saying you think it's genetic. The passing on of genes from one generation to another has been explained to you, but you're not interested. Hence the thread is pointless.

ok. see ya. you're not even interested in how genes and evolution work, or how the cardiovascular system works or what a heart attack even is. nothing you've even said even shows you've read any of the answers. You want to tell me bears are susceptible to heart attack when it's known that they are immune to them. Kluge's have been explained to you, but you have no interest despite saying you think it's genetic. The passing on of genes from one generation to another has been explained to you, but you're not interested. Hence the thread is pointless.
    No, YOU have been shunned. People like you are WORTHLESS. I am trying to have a conversation but you get people like yourself who act all high and mighty like you have all the answers to cover your insecurities.

Cya is right, take a walk chump. No one KNOWS why people die early through heart disease, we only have THEORIES.

No, YOU have been shunned. People like you are WORTHLESS. I am trying to have a conversation but you get people like yourself who act all high and mighty like you have all the answers to cover your insecurities.

Cya is right, take a walk chump. No one KNOWS why people die early through heart disease, we only have THEORIES.
    You're trying to have a "conversation" about something that's pretty well understood by biologists and medical professionals. If you just read the biologists and medical professionals, you wouldn't have such weird ideas.

Because organisms aren't the unit of selection, genes are. Read Dawkins' "The Selfish Gene", it's pretty great.