Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Was that like some attempt at an insult? Sure I'll play along.

Hey WoD is going great, I am able to log on to the game and raid. Umm how is it going with you? You able to log on to Nost and play....oh...oops.

WoD may not be the best but there is a new expansion coming out called Legion.
    "Legion".

You know, maybe WoD is great *for you*. The rest of us are off the plantation. We don't appreciate being seen as nothing more than dollar signs and a tool for people like you to use and throw away like garbage. We feel, you know?

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxDkDkxxx View Post
    If I go to the bar that is serving free drinks to all the neighbourhood every night, I'm starting to wonder if they robbed a liquor delivery truck somewhere.
    Or perhaps the free drink is an incentive for people to order food there?

Lot's of bars by me have ridiculous deals to bring in crowds, knowing that they will spend their money on additional items. Free? Probably not, but 25 cent drinks, SURE.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you were trying to generate more hype and try and get Blizzard's attention would you be tempted to doctor your numbers a bit? Sure there were times when the server was fairly crowded but that does not mean it was actually 150k accounts. You are taking the word of people that are already hosting an illegal server. So I'm not exactly inclined to believe everything they'd say.
    You obviously did not play on the server, but I did, and I can assure you that everytime I logged on, regardless of what time of day it was (I play throughout the day) there was never short of 10k people online. those same 10k people clearly did not play 24/7. Some logged out for whatever reason, some logged in when they were able to. The actual active population propbably was no 150k. It would have been less for sure, but the population at any given time was usually around 10-15k, and was steadily increasing

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    A very unbiased sample size you have there... NOT. About as usefull as the flying/no flying polls in here.
    Of course its biased and small. It is posted on fan site. However its best you can possibly get, asking for anything else is unreasonable.

Unless Blizzard makes a poll and sends it to all current and former subscribers, you won't get better result.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoidie View Post
    View Poll Results: How much would you really pay for a Classic server?

Voters

$12.99 (full price)
    311 31.45%

Something less than full price
    105 10.62%

I'd only play if it were free
    140 14.16%

I wouldn't play even if it were free
    433 43.78%

You need a damn site more than 989 voters to try and prove your point....
    Statistically he doesn't if the population is representative of everyone, and seeing how this is a gaming site that includes all demographics and the sample size<=28. I would say he actually has a compelling argument. But then again statistics is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Izalia View Post
    Kind of disgruntling coming from a moderator to ask for something that you know doesn't exist. Or is that just your passive aggressiveness?
    How dare moana ask for numbers when someone uses vague logic to defend a point without giving the numbers needed to back up or substantiate their claim!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    Will never happen. They will not allow the fake servers to continue to operate, as it's a bad light representation of their actual product, and there's no way in hell they're distributing their real server code to anyone, as that's just as good as simply giving it away, and they have millions invested in it.

It's a nice thought, I guess. Realistic? Not in any way, shape or form. This is officially grasping at straws.
    Yeah that and some of us paying customers would have a big problem with Blizz doing shit like that.

Deleted
    You need a damn site more than 989 voters to try and prove your point....
    Sure. Ask mods to post it on main page, you'll get more votes. Or ask Blizzard to query all their current and former (this is the important part because many people who are into MMORPG already left) subscribers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mokapse View Post
    I really do wonder. It's a private realm trying to avoid getting donations and money and people trying to shove it down their necks. And your argument is "But they are not making money!"
    The discussion was about using Nost as a example so Blizzard would create a legal vanilla service.
    I'm saying there's very little about Nost that actually translates to a commercial service. So it can't be used as a proof-of-concept.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    If they were taking donations in any form, even to the extent of trying to get everyone to contribute directly to their hosting company, and still saying that if they were short they would cover the costs themselves, that indicates to me that they were less than confident that donations would cover costs. I don't know how else to reconcile those things.
    People asked in reddit what will happen if no one donates and they answered "We'll pay it as we have before". I don't think it wasn't implying that they aren't expecting anything.

If they were taking donations in any form, even to the extent of trying to get everyone to contribute directly to their hosting company, and still saying that if they were short they would cover the costs themselves, that indicates to me that they were less than confident that donations would cover costs. I don't know how else to reconcile those things.
    https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37403

There's the link that Propainn so nicely provided.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

Do you have any proof? I mean, your side demands it from us at every claim. I just linked the thread in question, so I'm not sure what you are referring to.
    Idk why you expect others to believe your speculative claims, yet you vehemently deny those of the opposition?

That is hypocrisy at it's finest my friend.

inb4dodge

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    How dare moana ask for numbers when someone uses vague logic to defend a point without giving the numbers needed to back up or substantiate their claim!
    More like, can't remember polls that have been on their own sites for months/years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelzza View Post
    I am curious, but what are some possible negative side effects of allowing 1 main private server to run, if said private server had to legally sign a contract with Blizzard and follow their specified rules? Would it be at all possible if the Nostalrius development team followed the rules and guidelines set out by Blizzard and allowed Blizzard access to their data to ensure rules were being followed? Would that be something you could possibly see as a solution? I am not challenging your comment, I am genuinely curious where they can bend on this.
    The harm? Letting outsiders see their actual server code.

I doubt a team like that could offer the kind of money to get Blizzard to even think about it, let alone make them feel comfortable showing them the most valuable asset they have - the server - to people who have already infringed upon their copyright.

Blizzard would also have to do the work to bring the vanilla code up to spec to modern hardware and software, for both the client and the server. There's that cost issue again. They don't want to spend the money to do that, for their own servers, why would they spend the money to license it to a team who besides already infringing their copyright, have no solid business case that they could pay the license past the first month?

You cannot get past the cost of rewriting vanilla to work now. It's not going to happen. Even if it could happen, you don't allow access to your bank vault, and access to your security systems, to the people who robbed your bank already.

Quote Originally Posted by Izalia View Post
    Inb4 "not representative of everyone" or "confirmation bias" or some term that every freshman learns in their first year.
    heh well ignoring all of that stuff, I don't think having a poll about that on MMO-C when this is the hot-topic of the week is going to get solid results.

Deleted
    If I go to the bar that is serving free drinks to all the neighbourhood every night, I'm starting to wonder if they robbed a liquor delivery truck somewhere.
    Way to totally change the context. But let's keep going. In your scenario, the owners of the bar paying for rent from their own pocket would be seen as a business failure.

Besides, it's been shown time and time again, by people who actually read the link, and not people who just parrot a rumor, that the servers were actually paid for. 3 out of 4 were paid for the next 3 months (which, by the way was their [the team] recommended amount to pay in advance). One was paid for until May, still enough to get funds for the future payments. But you would know that had you read the link.

Deleted
    My suggestion was that people are not looking at the bigger picture and keep focusing on 'one server run by some people shows it can work' and use it as a basis for their whole argument...talk about straw....
    The point is, different people want different things. In this case, we just need to prove it, because the standards of proof are so high that we have to go to incredible lengths to prove that this isn't merely nostalgia. Why the standards of proof are this high is another story.

I'm sure WoD is great for you. But an expansion doesn't lose 60% of its subs simply because it's old.

Deleted
    The discussion was about using Nost as a example so Blizzard would create a legal vanilla service.
    I'm saying there's very little about Nost that actually translates to a commercial service. So it can't be used as a proof-of-concept.
    You were also saying they had to threaten to get any donations out of people, when they were actively refusing donations.
    Yeah it doesn't translate well, but it shows there is demand for it. I just hope Blizz will give an answer to it, if not now in Blizzcon again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    There you go: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Vanilla-server

Considering that its poll for everyone, not just Nost players, 1/3 of voters ready to pay full subscription fee is quite impressive. I expected number to be lower.
    Given that I think it's entirely laughable to quote one of our forum polls as if it has meaning in any manner whatsoever (it doesn't), I'll play along and note that 57% of the poll participants--a majority--won't play it at all or would only play for free. It's not exactly a ringing endorsement of the idea especially when proposed when there is a great deal of emotion currently that will dissipate over time.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    heh well ignoring all of that stuff, I don't think having a poll about that on MMO-C when this is the hot-topic of the week is going to get solid results.
    Probably not lol, Blizzard should do community wide surveys every quarter to see how people respond to the game. They seem to only pay attention to certain channels like twitter now.