Quote Originally Posted by Holtzmann View Post
    The irony is that retail WoW is the 11-year old game. Vanilla WoW is the novelty nowadays, otherwise the Twitch streamers wouldn't be playing it. Both versions of WoW are effectively completely different games set in the same universe.
    And that is part of why they don't want to have legacy servers. It would essentially be maintaining two separate games.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelzza View Post
    (Snips)

I do not wish this post to be as long as it is, so I am sorry if my wording felt rushed. Feel free to comment regardless of where you stand, but this thread is going around in circles and it would be nice to discuss now how we can promote a legacy server to make it a justifiable experience.
    I see where you're going and I think it's interesting. But the twitch community as a whole is fairly impatient. There is a reason the most popular streams are of games where matches take less than a half an hour. Soddapoppin even switches between games pretty frequently in one night.

Just my thoughts. I am not sure what other venue would be appropriate for something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Not to mention how do tell people who want other expansions that they don't matter, but vanilla does. Or what if people want pve/pvp/RP? Then people will start bitching about lack of content. QoL stuff. it just goes on and on.
    I would like to see this addressed just once by those who favor these servers.

Edit: Without calling me a faggot. My hetero heart can't take anymore.

I was under the impression that this topic was closed, and I find myself glad to see that is not the case. I have some work to do, but I was thinking earlier that we should move into a different focus discussion. Those who are against Blizzard condoning the public use of private servers or their own sanctioned legacy server, this topic of discussion might not fit into your philosophy of appropriate business ventures or simply your plain opinion. Those of you who are for Blizzard condoning the public use of private servers, or their own sanctioned legacy server, please give some suggestions on the following:

Let's say for a minute that Blizzard is looking to us to convince them that opening a legacy server (let's keep it to vanilla and TBC for now) is in favorable popularity (for now, let's leave out any negative consequences to a failed idea, as this post is primarily meant to gather ideas to make a legacy server become popular). What types of things could we do to promote the legacy server?

I was thinking back to the days when I played Planetside 2 and I remember how the developers and popular squads would compete against each other every Friday night. It might have been something different, but I'm pretty sure that's what it was. What if, seeing how arena originates in TBC, you had popular twitch streamers/ youtubers / gladiators, face off against developers. Discuss.

In February 2014, a popular video was published on YouTube called 'World of Warcraft - Race to World first - which featured the top raiding guilds in the world and shared their experiences. One particular part of that video that really struck me was something Xeonphics, a shadow priest in Paragon, said about the term "nerd". She said, "it feels so good to know someone who is a geek, or nerd, because that means he has passion, he has an understanding about the thing he does, and he is burning for something, and I think that is something we need in this world, to be passionate about something". (source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRURln6ijC8). Players are no longer passionate about the game. When you had 5-6 guilds that were all able to take the top spot, it was exciting and you saw a lot of sparks coming from people who had never been passionate about something before in their life. A similar feeling comes to me as I begin to imagine the race to "world first" in Vanilla or TBC raids on a legacy server.

A final point I would like to discuss is gathering professional teams (Method for example) to promote something like that. You would have them promoting a legacy server, which are important marketing avenues to exploit. A lot of players who follow these big names would enjoy the chance to play with them in a different setting. Most of that is not possible today because we're all instanced by ourselves.

I do not wish this post to be as long as it is, so I am sorry if my wording felt rushed. Feel free to comment regardless of where you stand, but this thread is going around in circles and it would be nice to discuss now how we can promote a legacy server to make it a justifiable experience.
    What is there to talk about. Blizz said no and until the decide to do otherwise its a pointless thing to talk about.

Let's say for a minute that Blizzard is looking to us to convince them that opening a legacy server (let's keep it to vanilla and TBC for now) is in favorable popularity (for now, let's leave out any negative consequences to a failed idea, as this post is primarily meant to gather ideas to make a legacy server become popular). What types of things could we do to promote the legacy server?
    To be honest there's not much you can do, other than be really loud about what you want.
    But here's some food for thought, let's say you are Blizzard. Would you devote extra resources on a 11-year old game other than expansions, or would you start concentrating on the next game franchise / title?
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Namalia View Post
    And that is part of why they don't want to have legacy servers. It would essentially be maintaining two separate games.
    They currently maintain 6 games...

Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    Not a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by sqviddy View Post
    What are you even arguing? Of course it would take a lot more effort to set up Vanilla realms than just calculating new numbers for raid bosses.
    I can't imagine that would've taken too much effort from Blizzard's end.
    Pick one. Would it take a lot of effort to set up classic realms, or not. The idea that Blizzard give full control/support of their IP to a team that has/had 0 affiliation with Blizzard is nonsense to begin with.
    Last edited by Monstercloud; 2016-04-10 at 03:58 AM.

I see where you're going and I think it's interesting. But the twitch community as a whole is fairly impatient. There is a reason the most popular streams are of games where matches take less than a half an hour. Soddapoppin even switches between games pretty frequently in one night.

Just my thoughts. I am not sure what other venue would be appropriate for something like that.
    Don't think twitch is a place to promote legacy servers. They are constantly shutting down any priv server visible above 100 viewers. I mentioned it a ton that the hyper a promoting of Nos through content creators might have very well awoken the beast.
    http://twitch.tv/towelliee TowelRapaport #WoWsheet

Quote Originally Posted by DeleteMyAccountMMOCSUX View Post
    They currently maintain 6 games...
    What's 3 more?

Round and round we go with the same 20 people arguing with each other.

People have different tastes in game play, they have different memory's or experiences with vanilla. Laughing and telling players that did put time into Nos to suck it. Its was against the law!!!! Just lead to more bickering and drama.
    It would be great if blizzard would make legacy servers but its not happening at this time. It might never happen. They had the right to shut it down so they did.

Personal opinion time! I loved vanilla and would play it side by side with my current subscription in a heart beat. Doing the same thing Nos did with patch releases would be amazing. Considering the game right now is extremely dull (for me). I having every class at level 100 with at least 700 gear. Cleared all content on at least heroic Rings on 3 toons ect... having legacy servers to burn some time would be great. I love WoW I will always love wow but just because YOU don't want something doesn't mean others don't. Current gaming has alot of recycled and rehash and HD remakes so why cant wow too?

PS-Give me Warcraft 1-3 remastered blizz!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Monstercloud View Post
    Pick one. Would it take a lot of effort to set up classic realms, or not. The idea that Blizzard give full control/support of their IP to a team that has/had 0 affiliation with Blizzard is nonsense to begin with.
    Ah. I was saying that letting Nost exist wasn't taking any effort from Blizz, in the second quote. By axing it they've only hurt themselves. Financially, they would've been better off just letting things be, if they have no plan to address the Vanilla crowd themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by towelliee View Post
    Don't think twitch is a place to promote legacy servers. They are constantly shutting down any priv server visible above 100 viewers. I mentioned it a ton that the hyper a promoting of Nos through content creators might have very well awoken the beast.
    Oh I'm definitely not trying to promote them, trust me (Trust me). I'm more addressing the part about whether a world first race would gain traction in the gaming viewing audience.

10+ Year Old Account

Edit: Without calling me a faggot. My hetero heart can't take anymore.
    This isn't a hard topic.

Have the servers be progressive. Just like Nost.
    Have a scheduled release of new content.
    - Raid x will be release on x date
    - TBC server will be released on x date
    - Have options to copy chars to TBC server, or leave them on Vanilla.
    - Etc...

Nost had a PvE and PvP server. RP wasn't available, but I don't think they had the man power to open another realm to properly maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    To be honest there's not much you can do, other than be really loud about what you want.
    But here's some food for thought, let's say you are Blizzard. Would you devote extra resources on a 11-year old game other than expansions, or would you start concentrating on the next game franchise / title?
    I would go forwards and not backwards. If you don't think they are working hard on upcoming expansions then I dunno what to say. Asking them to allocate resources to an era of WoW that no longer exists is insane. Even if they make a bad or looked down upon expansion theire response is not to give up and give in to a small % but to look forward and fix their mistakes and improve upon the franchise. just cause 150k people don't like WoW doesn't mean the other 5 million or so don't.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I'm definitely not trying to promote them, trust me (Trust me). I'm more addressing the part about whether a world first race would gain traction in the gaming viewing audience.
    It would without a doubt IF they major players were today's twitch know guilds. If world first guild actually streamed current progression and you tried to put that up again vanilla progression i would bet anything the current race would get more viewers.
    http://twitch.tv/towelliee TowelRapaport #WoWsheet

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    "It's Illegal! Can't hear you!"
    Supply and demand is a bitch. And until Blizzard supplies an official method, these people will continue to seek the next private server that allows this experience to be relived.

I, for one, don't see them as "Entitled" - merely someone who wants to play something, that is unavailable to them from official sources, so they have to find alternatives.

I guess we'll agree to disagree on the term.
    I don't think you know what that word even means to be honest.

Yes, its illegal to take and use what isn't yours. Trying to come to terms with your bad behavior is just delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by Felrane View Post
    Round and round we go with the same 20 people arguing with each other.

People have different tastes in game play, they have different memory's or experiences with vanilla. Laughing and telling players that did put time into Nos to suck it. Its was against the law!!!! Just lead to more bickering and drama.
    It would be great if blizzard would make legacy servers but its not happening at this time. It might never happen. They had the right to shut it down so they did.

Personal opinion time! I loved vanilla and would play it side by side with my current subscription in a heart beat. Doing the same thing Nos did with patch releases would be amazing. Considering the game right now is extremely dull (for me). I having every class at level 100 with at least 700 gear. Cleared all content on at least heroic Rings on 3 toons ect... having legacy servers to burn some time would be great. I love WoW I will always love wow but just because YOU don't want something doesn't mean others don't. Current gaming has alot of recycled and rehash and HD remakes so why cant wow be too?

PS-Give me Warcraft 1-3 remastered blizz!
    Did you just tell everyone arguing with opinions is pointless and then give your opinion?

Exactly. Some people see this as "stealing", while I personality can't connect this - and other similar events - to the literal act of "Stealing".
    And that's alright. It's a tricky topic. That's why we got to these many pages.
    No, its not a tricky topic.

- - - Updated - - -

If more people would "agree to disagree" more often - and if people would stop to see it in a condescending fashion - the world would have much less drama.
    People have different opinions. I was raised with that in perspective. So the notion of it isn't foreign to me.
    Opinions can certainly be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by DeleteMyAccountMMOCSUX View Post
    This isn't a hard topic.

Have the servers be progressive. Just like Nost.
    Have a scheduled release of new content.
    - Raid x will be release on x date
    - TBC server will be released on x date
    - Have options to copy chars to TBC server, or leave them on Vanilla.
    - Etc...
    But I wants WotLK now not 3 years from now. Gimme!

Seems to be too hard. You can't satisfy everyone so why bother with any niche?

Quote Originally Posted by sqviddy View Post
    Ah. I was saying that letting Nost exist wasn't taking any effort from Blizz, in the second quote. By axing it they've only hurt themselves. Financially, they would've been better off just letting things be, if they have no plan to address the Vanilla crowd themselves.
    ...I give up. Apparently IP is a non-issue with you people.