Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    and our server isn't shut down. Ho ho ho ho.
    Running in stand-by mode tho. Still a waste of energy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    You must be ignoring the part where the majority of responses here are negative to the idea of vanilla servers.
    The discussion on the Nost forums as well as subreddits, facebook comments, facebook groups etc is quite large as well. This thread is heavily one-sided, so it looks like there is only 2-3 of us posting.

But we keep hearing how the community there is good and helkpful so surely they wouldn't be elitist dicks if someone played what they liked. Right?
    Oh hell yeah. I can imagine it now. Hey guys I'm playing balance druid because that is what I played in Vanilla. "FUCK YOU, go resto or gtfo! Spam rank 4 healing touch and stfu!" Yeah I got a Shadow priest friend that wants to.."HAHAH we already have one mana battery! Reroll to warrior newb!"

You must be ignoring the part where the majority of responses here are negative to the idea of vanilla servers.
    Because most of us stopped giving a shit and have tried more direct ways to communicate our desires.

Very few people want to battle personal attacks for 500 pages and flood of PMs for simply expressing they want to play something that some others don't. You get tired and just end up realizing that the community here is even worse than you initially thought. It's one thing to have a disagreement, but both sides of this have generally been despicable human beings towards one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Loeve View Post
    Think about all the people who spent so much time played on Nostalrius. Many got their epic mounts, maybe even legendarys. And everything took a lot of time at lvl 60, even leveling could take months as a casual player. I saw a screenshot of one guy who had every class at lvl 60, that will take months even a year.

And then they lost all that because blizzard decided to shut it down, thats really shitty done by blizzard tbh. Yes, by law they can shut it down, but when blizzard wont release a legacy server how else are they gonna play it?!

And all those people were blizzard fans, but they liked the old game more. So they let alot of fans down.
    Well if it makes you feel any better it just made me laugh out loud that someone spent that much time on a Private Server knowing there was a shutdown risk. I say good on Blizzard and it makes me want to support them more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    There is no discussion. You have zero facts that prove a legacy server is anyway viable, yet at the same time crying about how blizzard is only about the money. I said before, but this is basically 4 year old's demanding a cookie, cause they want a cookie.

You are the one with zero facts. You are the one who is just randomly spewing accusations at people because you CANNOT have any facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    LOL dude... Remember that one time they said there was never gonna be a panda expansion? I do. I'm willing to bet that they are holding this off up until they drop below a certain threshold.

You probably weren't. You are one now though
    Despite playing the game exactly the same way as I did before, but now when my friends aren't on, I still have something to do .
    Are you a 14 year old rebel wearing a Che Guevara shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelzza View Post
    The discussion on the Nost forums as well as subreddits, facebook comments, facebook groups etc is quite large as well. This thread is heavily one-sided, so it looks like there is only 2-3 of us posting.
    Discussion created by the Nost community isn't one sided? Why do I even try?

Quote Originally Posted by Dandoman View Post
    Running in stand-by mode tho. Still a waste of energy.
    That's funny. I'll tell my raid team I can't go because my server is in stand by mode...Oh wait "THIS JUST IN" my server is just fine and people are doing things. On the other side...well we have a closed Private Server...ooops.

Next time Luke Lafreniere tries to call the Nost community good I'll just link him to this thread. So many toxic wastes that played on Nost, it's insane...

Deleted
    Lol, this is gona go on forever.

Stop living in the past and move forward, good lord, i loved the old wow but the fanboys make it look like everyone who played it a dribbling moron.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    Fewer is a pretty casual understatement.
    Eh true to an extent, I mean even with LFR the raid participation isn't mega high, not that many people were particularly into raiding at all (I thought, if I'm wrong fair cop).

There wasn't horrendous gating on any non raid content, and whilst you could argue that the content was only "greater" because it took much more time (think you mentioned killing 10000000 turtles to afford your mount) there at least *was* a lot of stuff to do; not to mention the end-game questing that was available in the highest lvl zones. I mean sure you get your garrison missions to go join a raid group and clear out a location of Draenor every day, but I dunno, feels like you'd completeed every iteration of those quests in less time it took to finish off questing in EPL.

I do get that a large part of that is "artificial" dragging out of content by making it take longer. And that a lot of people with less time to play wouldn't appreciate a return to that style of game either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    Well if it makes you feel any better it just made me laugh out loud that someone spent that much time on a Private Server knowing there was a shutdown risk. I say good on Blizzard and it makes me want to support them more.
    Good thing you like to support them all the way even when they lie to your face

"COntent more faster"

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no discussion. You have zero facts that prove a legacy server is anyway viable, yet at the same time crying about how blizzard is only about the money. I said before, but this is basically 4 year old's demanding a cookie, cause they want a cookie.
    People keep taking me out of context so let me reiterate my points:

1) There is always a discussion to be had. It doesn't matter what conflicting opinions are on. There is discussions here and other places.
    2) I am not trying to prove with facts (this info-graphic has been thrown around here, and it's the best I can provide to you. Take from it what you will: http://i.imgur.com/jxtOQlu.jpg)
    3) I am not crying. Sure people are, but they are being ignorant and disrespectful. Blizzard cares about money, obviously, nobody is yelling corporate greed in this discussion.
    4) If you are not pleased with the content of this thread, you are free to leave and discontinue your posts. Nobody here is forcing you to continue in the discussion. If you are not for a legacy server, explain why and leave it at that. I would always respect your point of view and I would never treat you with hostility for that, so please treat me with the respect I deserve and don't induce to name-calling and "shit posting", as that just looks unprofessional and disrespectful.

I have made my stance on this matter very clear over the last couple days this thread has been active. I hope to continue talking with people over the matter, as I have learned some valuable insight on why a legacy server would not be possible. I still stick to my opinion, but I welcome feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Eh true to an extent, I mean even with LFR the raid participation isn't mega high, not that many people were particularly into raiding at all (I thought, if I'm wrong fair cop).

There wasn't horrendous gating on any non raid content, and whilst you could argue that the content was only "greater" because it took much more time (think you mentioned killing 10000000 turtles to afford your mount) there at least *was* a lot of stuff to do; not to mention the end-game questing that was available in the highest lvl zones. I mean sure you get your garrison missions to go join a raid group and clear out a location of Draenor every day, but I dunno, feels like you'd completeed every iteration of those quests in less time it took to finish off questing in EPL.

I do get that a large part of that is "artificial" dragging out of content by making it take longer. And that a lot of people with less time to play wouldn't appreciate a return to that style of game either.
    I mean look at it this way. Back in original Vanilla (not this bastardization Private Server shit) most of the 'content' was people just levelling to max level. That process has been streamlined. So what if Blizzard made Legion levelling take nearly a month to hit max level. What would happen? People wouldn't be happy.

Just a slow grind of levelling isn't exactly 'content' we just didn't know any better in Vanilla. There is far more to do in later expansions such as daily quests, pet battling, arenas, etc. I will admit that dungeons were more of a challenge/fun in vanilla~WotLK but maybe Legion will give us that back at least.

Deleted
    I trust that a mutil billion dollar company, who has a pretty good track record on gaming has looked into this, and know if legacy servers are viable. Your move. After all, blizzard hate your side and is clearly only about the money, right?

Yeah i'm sure the company that made WoD and had to stop sharing subscription numbers in a desperate attempt of damage control surely knows what the community wants...

Oh hell yeah. I can imagine it now.
    Yeah that might be imagination, to my surprise (maybe its due to the average knowledge of a Nos player about Vanilla being much greater than the average Vanilla player during Vanilla) it seems like people were pretty easy-going about specs in raiding on Nos. I guess a symptom of raiding when Vanilla was current was because most people would be pretty clueless, it lead to a "must bring most efficient classes for the role" mentality, but considering most of the Nos players have done all these boss fights loads and solofarmed the instances, there's a bit more lee-way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

You heard it here first folks. MC raids are harder than mythic 'arcade' raids in WoD.
    Mechanic wise, I never meant to infer that at any point. But in vanilla not everything is about raiding. I couldn't give 2 shits on boss complexity, that's not what made the game fun. What made it fun was the fact that it was a world, not a lobby. I loved the grinds, I loved rarity of items, I loved the hard acquired wealth. The ganking, the kill squads, the faction hate. Loved it all. Jumping through hoops as a show skill was never really my thing. We play mmorpgs for different reasons. Raiding should not be central pillar of the game. It limits the world aspect to a room.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarian View Post
    I understand that you believe you are a lawyer, let me ask you a question.

Have you ever been sued in a copyright infringement case? Have you ever represented a client in a copyright infringement case? Have you ever launched a copyright infringement lawsuit?

Unfortunately it is not as simple as you state, there are many stages of copyright infringement, for one you appear to live in Sydney yet you cite the DMCA, do you realise that the DMCA is actually an american law and not an international one? Do you realise that the american DMCA and the european equivalant is 2 different things?

Are you aware that emulation is not always tied to copyright infringement, and is in many cases not at all copyright infringement? Are you aware that any software purchased in a european member state is locally owned by whoever purchased it, and can be used in any way, shape or form the buyer wants, so long it does not include redistribution of this local copy?.

It is important to note that private servers are emulators, if anyone here had any idea of how a private server works, or how reverse engineering in itself works they would know that theres not a shred of original code in any of the WoW emulators currently around. With that it is also important to note that there have been several previous cases where emulators have been ruled legal by the court, for example the Sony VS Bleem case here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleem!#Sony_lawsuit

When the redistribution of copyrighted content takes place, infringement can be an issue, an emulator is not this. The problem is the distribution of client software(such as WoW 12.1) to users that do not own the rights to this client(that never purchased it) not the fact that an emulated server allows a locally modified client to access it.

It is NOT as simple as you make it seem, and i would really hope that you take your time to read up on emulators and previous cases, theres several of these including cases where nintendo have attempted to sue emulators and severely failed to do so.

Discussing the legality of private servers, and nost in particular is a little silly because we have yet to actually have a verdict on this particular situation, i dont know for certain what the verdict would be, neither do you, but history says its uncertain, and as such you cannot label it like you are.
    As an attorney myself, it's good to see someone post about the legalities of this issue who actually knows what he's talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    /facepalm. You were close in your obfuscation of how NPC's and pathing respond to the client interactions. MPQ's are passed to the server containing positional data. That's from the client. The code involved in this transaction is contained in the client. This minor infraction alone is enough to warrant a case of infringement. But keep being high and mighty.

Fucking hilarious you're getting sued though.
    MPQs dont exist and haven't existed since the launch of WoD.

Are you sure you actually know the data structure of WoW?

Also what is the point of transmitting data from a file structure that is loaded into ram and then modified? That would call for constant disk read/writes which are very unessecary as this data is constantly changing and is no longer needed once the game is shut down, as you probably know, MPQs are a passive container for storing any kind of application data to be loaded into ram.

However the most simple way to get positional data is definatly not by attempting to look for any kind of data within the passive file system, because you will find nothing. The most simple way is to either use lua which is completely accessable serverside and locally, and contains data such as player position, or use something like a vtable slot call for the local player.

But i am certain you already know this, provided your experience with client to server architecture.