Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Namalia View Post
    TBC's progression system was HORRIBLE, and I am glad that they have moved on from it. It was a DISASTER. I can only hope and pray that they never return to something that stupid.
    Yes...absolute disaster. I mean look at the subscriptions numbers back then compared to now...oh wait...

not until blizzard nerfs mages to shit level like other classes have been for at least one expac. and in both pvp and pve.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Yes...absolute disaster. I mean look at the subscriptions numbers back then compared to now...oh wait...
    That must mean Justin Bieber is good music.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Redtower View Post
    Its more asking for a end game outside of raiding that isn't effectively level cap ---> LFR then a mindless grind for upgrades with either honor/conquest or Talaan.
    And what was it in TBC and Classic, that was different from this?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lolskillzz View Post
    not until blizzard nerfs mages to shit level like other classes have been for at least one expac. and in both pvp and pve.
    So like burning crusade?

Deleted
    No, because the community is made up of humans. And humans are fucking retarded.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    And what was it in TBC and Classic, that was different from this?
    You moved on and did different things. From scholo to strat to ubrs. Then into raids from MC to ZG... You could get a dungeon set with quite fleshed out quests to upgrade them.

TBC brought in heroics that required a certain level of coordination to complete (at least until the sunwell badge vender...well and maybe not slave pens.). Crafting was fleshed out and kara was open to all. Compared today it was a paradise...

Deleted
    You moved on and did different things. From scholo to strat to ubrs. Then into raids from MC to ZG... You could get a dungeon set with quite fleshed out quests to upgrade them.

TBC brought in heroics that required a certain level of coordination to complete (at least until the sunwell badge vender...well and maybe not slave pens.). Crafting was fleshed out and kara was open to all. Compared today it was a paradise...
    Doesn't sound one bit different from what you do now. It is just a different progression model, still relies on the same things within the progression.

Deleted
    Doesn't sound one bit different from what you do now. It is just a different progression model, still relies on the same things within the progression.
    If that doesn't sound one bit different... Well have you actually played WoD?

Deleted
    If that doesn't sound one bit different... Well have you actually played WoD?
    Well I was talking after Classic and TBC, up until MoP essentially, should have clarified that

Deleted
    Well I was talking after Classic and TBC, up until MoP essentially, should have clarified that
    ...so you are just here to be contrarian?

Deleted
    ...so you are just here to be contrarian?
    Well you asked if we could go back to that model/community and I don't believe so. As I said, it isn't perfect in its current form, but I still believe it to superior (up until MoP, can't say for WoD).

No.

/10charthread

Not as long as the dungeon finders and cross realm zones exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shortest answer ever for this topic, 'No. '

A little longer answer, 'No, it cannot. Members of the community who behaved the right way are either not there, rare or used to behave the right way.'
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Another "golden age of vanilla/tbc" thread, how unique and interesting. Times change OP, learn to live with it.

So like burning crusade?
    mages dominated ranked arenas, so no. and they still did fine dps. they just werent the gods they usually are in blizzard games

Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    Great example here of WHY the community can never be "what it once was."

People spouting misinformation to support their notion that for some inexplicable reason the community is worse, presumably to justify their own disinterest or perhaps need to fit in?

The player never had to rely on others to level. Never. You were just a noob. In Classic, the fastest way to level was to grind 1-40. This was for a few reasons, first of all because of travel. Travel was a severe hindrance on the world, and having to run for 10 minutes, kill mobs for 10 was very poor exp per hour. Zones were so poorly made in Classic, that you would often have to grind anyway unless you wanted to constantly switch zones.

Next up, lack of gear. Very little quests actually gave gear, so attempting to do them in the order they are presented meant you were quickly overmatched. This is not because they were difficult, it is because they were poorly designed. Simply hitting the AH every time you go to log out allowed you to stay ahead of the curve, something most players never did.

Finally, the spec imbalance perpetuated by poor talent options. The previous talent system worked quite well for leveling up, and was indeed rewarding, but the big issue was how little the class was able to function without its level 30-40 options. In fact, its such an extreme issue that it was actually optimal to level in a certain way, then completely respec just to get the 31 point talent at level 40!
    Great example is Paladin.
    You NEEDED to put 11 points into Holy just to level, no matter what. Consecration is mandatory. And then what was the 31 point for ret? CC! Great game.

The game never had any challenge. That's an illusion based on how long it actually took to level and how inexperienced you were at the game.
    I leveled 4 characters to 60 on Nostalrius, and two of them were under 6 days played, one of them being a Warrior.
    The only challenge I ever faced was ganking, and staying motivated in the mid 30s as it started to go from 2-3 hour levels of grinding to 4-5 hour levels of grinding.
    Fun game.

So there you go. Great example of why the "community" was a certain way. If they were all as confused as you were, then its no wonder they needed help doing quests that took 30+ minutes of coordination for a mediocre green and 25 percent of a level.

There are many other things that ripped it even further open like LFD and LFR, and I think the push towards Mythic and Mythic + (formerly Challenge Mode) dungeons will do its part in bringing that back together, but if you are talking about going back to where every player on every realm knew everyone else, that will never happen again.
    Cross realm grouping capabilities changed that, arguably for the better as server populations continue to decline.

And also, so we are clear - TBC and Classic have to very different leveling models. In TBC, they added hundreds of quests to the old world, and nerfed the leveling experience needed by 25-50 percent per level. Leveling in Classic content during TBC was actually manageable comparatively, and should signify that it was never what you thought it was. Blizzard always wanted to make it more accessible and less grindy, they just didn't have the tools at launch.
    Lets not forget people have been playing this game since 2004. Hard to reinvent the wheel. First bike you ever get, WOW OMG I HAVE A BIKE THIS IS SO FUN LOOK AT ALL THE SHIT I CAN DO!! Fast forward 12 years. Yeah i got a new bike, its nice, brakes are better, its lighter, but it's still a bike. This is what i believe is happening to the game

Quote Originally Posted by dexodar View Post
    Except Nost was an unofficial server with very old content, hacked together by a group of people on their free time. And the vast majority of f2p MMOs fail miserably. Nost had people sticking there and forming a community, not just people getting a nostalgia fix and bailing after a bit of leveling. It speaks to the strength and timelessness of the original game design in WoW. It shows that the ideas that "times have changed" and that "vanilla design wouldn't work today" are completely false.
    Interpretation of data does not makes falsehoods. There are not enough players willing to pay for such things. The more grindy a game is in the current gaming environment, the higher chance that game has to lose subscribers. Even NOST couldn't pay the bills, even with their "huge" community--Because nobody would pay for it. The design does not work from a business standpoint. A game maker will not make a game that they feel they can't sell reasonably well. There just isn't enough money available to support the idea.

Please understand though-- There is a small percentage of the gaming community that this certainly works on, and I could see the vanilla design working IF you could get these people to spend money on it. But here lies the problem, this same percentage of people also tend to be either broke or tight wads. This makes such design ideas less profitable than the current design. Free to play is easy to commit to, you lose nothing if or when it bombs.

But if you're going to pay for something, you want new, you want fresh, and you want it now(for the overwhelming majority of players). And this self serving mindset kills the community aspect. The second money becomes involved, people start looking at the value of what they're getting for what they spend, and the same old thing just won't cut it.
    Keep in mind that I think blizzard can certainly do better than terrible garrisons and year long waits. I just don't think the pace vanilla carried appeals to enough players to be profitable in the current market.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

To many plebs QQing that LFR still is to hard, so no I dont think wow will ever be what it used to be.