Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahcake View Post
    Oh boy. They never learn. No wonder ppl want to play Vanilla.

http://www.wowhead.com/news=252294/h...campaign-works
    Only broke wow players hate the garrisons.
    I've made so much gold(millons just this xpac) it's ridiculous. It takes me less then 20min to do all my missions on all my alts (and yes I have all of them at 100)
    I don't even need to play the AH to be rich. Fuk all the haters out there.

BTW, I don't give a shit about being all alone in my garrison.

the only thing I wish they would have done was made it more custom, like race skins/buildings. lets face it undead is the best. /cry

Garrisons are not a problem. The problem is there was nothing do to outside the garrison.

Quote Originally Posted by Leviatharan View Post
    I mean... let's be real, the quest table in the Garrisons was not the issue with them. Sure it offered a plate of free rewards, but the rate at which usable rewards arrived couldn't trump the process of, oh, going out and getting your own damn loot. Once you complete the questline, you don't need to touch the table again.

The issue with Garrisons was that it trumped the need to leave your tiny self-made town for any reason. Gathering professions could be done inside, the box out front just made progression time-gated rather than effort-based, removing the need to explore. It took the value of capital cities and removed any semblance of social interaction, despite everyone basically standing in the same 20 cubic feet (and let's be frank, half of the playerbase probably still hasn't found the portal from the Garrison to Ashran, and likely choose not to leave because the 20 minute cooldown to get back seems long).

Order Halls don't have a garden and mine, or plots for you to add a bank or auction house or profession trainers. You get a spot to upgrade your artifact, and a table that's more quest-oriented. Oh, and it doesn't just have a box that accrues resources for you if you log out for a week - you have to leave and get those yourself.

Do they resemble Garrisons? Sure, nobody's denying that - and Garrisons themselves were clones of MoP's Farmville clone before it.
    Do they extend the same issues, proving Blizzard can't learn from their mistakes?... Wait and see.
    Odd... I could have sworn I had trade chat inside my garrison? All garrison did was allow you the chance to ignore all the stupid annoying people in game. You act like it was SOOO great it chill in SW. Ohh I get to see all the stupid people dancing, I get the endless begging for free stuff.... gimme gold, port me to IF(even though the stupid tram is right there), endless emotes like /fart, /giggle, /rude, endless duel me flags dropping down. How was this good?
    I mean if you're in a guild you get to chat all you want with those that matter. There's even garrison invasions that reward you with resources, crystals, gold and sometimes loot. You can invite people into your garrison and let them use stuff. Yes you can farm the mine and mind the farm, but you can still get more mats on the outside, I still grab nodes and pick herbs, let alone still needing to skin if you're a leatherworker. So sorry but I prefer my garrison that I'm barely in anyways. I can ignore all the crap, do my daily stuff/farming and get on with dungeons, raids, tanaan dailies, profession stuff w/o the hassle of stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Spending resources on a facebook game that requires very little engagement is something of a problem when they're not creating that other content. They're devoting resources that could be allocated to real content on this crap.
    Thats right "requires very little engagement" for a shit ton of gold and real money in my pocket.

gar missions = gold and gold = game token(for sub)= more money in my pocket /shrug

The real truth to why wow is getting boring is because most people have been playing for years and it's getting old. Thats why they are making this movie to get new players.

think about it
    every xpac
    we lvl
    we quest
    we gear in either raids, dung or pvp
    The end

The concept of garrisons was never the problem. The execution was.

Ergo, they might do it right this time. They'll definitely do it better anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    They really missed what people were saying when they complained about garrisons. In their minds the issue was how repeatable the missions were apparently... Truly amazing.

- - - Updated - - -

Spending resources on a facebook game that requires very little engagement is something of a problem when they're not creating that other content. They're devoting resources that could be allocated to real content on this crap.
    Then they should also make the Auction House force you to physically find another player to complete the trade with them. You know, no facebook games or anything.

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but it is worth it - a good read. Actual description from an actual alpha player. Order Halls will not be garrisons. A few similarities yes, but not the same.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...er_hall_works/

Deleted
    We knew this months ago...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by flyspyro View Post
    Thats right "requires very little engagement" for a shit ton of gold and real money in my pocket.

gar missions = gold and gold = game token(for sub)= more money in my pocket /shrug

The real truth to why wow is getting boring is because most people have been playing for years and it's getting old. Thats why they are making this movie to get new players.

think about it
    every xpac
    we lvl
    we quest
    we gear in either raids, dung or pvp
    The end
    The thing is, the gold isn't necessary. Unless you love buying rare mounts and pets, you don't need much gold nowadays. You can easily make the amount of gold you need to get by just through playing the game. Having garrisons throwing gold at you doesn't actually benefit you as much as you think.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

The problem was is that Blizzard decided halfway through the expansion development they would redo major parts of the system and world. What was sacrificed content? You know what else caused this? Players whining about dailies. So we got no dailies, and without dailies. Things got boring. In the end, Garrisons would of been great if it wasn't for Blizzard sacrificing parts of it.

I kinda like the new system seeing as its a Class Order hall where I will meet others of the same class as me doing the same quests etc. And I dont mind followers either as long as they are not in huge numbers, I'd rather have less and more powerful followers then having many medio-ocre ones.
    From what I can tell the followers now also gives you quests, wich is far better then having big ogres walking around in your garrison just saying random "hi, commander" to you every time you zone in or run past them

Friend of mine went through the entire wod expansion without doing any other garrison missions than the ones you had to do in the start. So. Its almost like its optional. woah

Why not just have the quests appear as dailies from the NPC's themselves?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviatharan View Post
    Do they resemble Garrisons? Sure, nobody's denying that - and Garrisons themselves were clones of MoP's Farmville clone before it.
    Nope a valid comparison at all;
    I was raiding in MOP i never had one of those farms in any of my 90 chars.
    Some mates from the core had them, to my understanding they were great to get mats, but they were in NO WAY mandatory for the legendary quest, or anything raiding related.
    They were convenient (a little) but that was all, although i must admit that before the Token gold was useless for me.
    Garrisons in WOD were mandatory for the leg quest, and it seems it is gonna be the same in Legion and that is a big difference for me, as opossed to MOP farms.
    Also sending followers to unlock missions, so you can go to a zone and do those missions sounds quite silly to be honest, you should be able to do that just exploring those zones, no need to interact in the halls for that.

looks awesome

oh and vanilla was ok in 2005-2006 but in ~Wrath+ it was trash

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Why not just have the quests appear as dailies from the NPC's themselves?
    I have two concerns (not sure I posted them to this thread yet...). (Okay, THREE now, since I thought up a new one.)

Note that I'm not in Alpha, so my concerns may not be valid.

1) (New one...) You send your followers on missions. And then... you wait. Perhaps you queue up for LFR/LFG. Perhaps you find the auction house, or go fishing, or just AFK, or something. You logged in to game, but since the "quest hub" is gated behind followers bringing you quests, you're wasting what time you have.

2) Finally, the missions are done. You open your mission table, and you find out... your followers failed the mission. Which means they don't bring back a quest for you to do. Or some do, and some don't. The number of quests you do for the day isn't dependent on how much time you have, but on RNG.

3) You get some quests from your followers, and then you group up with friends. Do you get the same quests with everyone in the Class Order Hall, or does everyone get different ones? And does it vary among all the Class Order Halls (e.g., my main is a "don't die on me" Blood DK, while my wife's main is a "hits like a Mac truck" MM hunter)? Either everyone gets the same quests or they can share the quests (in which case, what's the point of the whole mission table thing?), or everyone gets different quests (or their followers succeed in different quests) and they can't share (in which case, grouping is pointless).

Now, it's very likely Blizzard did it right. But I don't know, since I'm not in the Alpha.

"There are some similarities". Yeah, fuck that if the only similarities are the ones that people hated. Who gives a shit about a mailbox, or the AH. Not even the herb garden or the mine. People hated the follower system. And that is exactly what they've kept from it for Legion. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Clicking a menu to get "yums" has always been a part of WoW, even if you avoided it. The AH and crafting professions are basically menus that give you "yums," Follower missions were a bit more interesting than those, or at least a nice change after 10 years of basically the same thing.
    But the follower system IS LITERALLY pushing a button and then get yums. A good game is where you don't notice this notion, and thus, you don't care. When you did the MoP Landfall quests, dailies, you did not stop to think about "what the fuck I'm doing here?" But in a garrison, after pushing buttons on 5-6 chars? Pffhh. Again, if you think that it doesn't matter WHAT and HOW you play, then we have nothing to talk about. Like I said I want engaging, deep content that entertains me, not this crap that the follower system was. There is no depth in it, there is no narrative, there is no reasoning, it is not entertaining. You literally just push buttons and then get treat.

I'm not a pigeon locked in a box, I don't need to play follower missions to provide sustenance, there are other games than WoW and other activities than gaming. If you don't find the follower missions fun or rewarding for the time investment there's no reason to do them.
    Right. So your argument is WoW's follower system is good, if you don't like it, you just go elsewhere. 5 million people did that, mind you. And then again: IS THAT GOOD FOR THE GAME? You literally igored everything I said and just repeat yourself.

Once I had the set and got bored of followers I stopped doing the missions.
    If you don't see the problem in this part then really, just please don't answer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laubman View Post
    Or are they? They forgot the part where you go for the scoutet area. Which is in the Alpha. Wait before you cry. The Garrison System was a good idea, but poorly converted. I, personally, like the new ideas they put into the campaign. But in the end, I'm just a fanboy. Right?
    The problem with "wait before you cry" is that it's what Blizzard's supporters say every single expansion, and then, when the big steaming plate of shit arrives and is placed on the table comes the inevitable response from Blizzard, its devs individually, and Blizzard supporters in general: "It's too late now, you should have said something earlier".
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    Friend of mine went through the entire wod expansion without doing any other garrison missions than the ones you had to do in the start. So. Its almost like its optional. woah
    Not meant as an insult but your friend sounds like a giant casual.
    Was nothing optional about them as raider, not even 2 weeks in and your followers had enough ilvl to gather Highmaul gear loot boxes from missions, later down the line came the legendary ring quests and BRF loot boxes.

I stopped doing all that in the end as well but it wasn't optional if you were in a raiding guild and standing there in 630/636 dungeon blue's and seeing the highmaul raid invites on the calendar.

The mental gymnastics being done to try to pass off Order halls as different from garrisons/shipyards is funny to me. As others have astutely pointed out the core problem remains and that is a facebook game based on rng on top of rng is going to gate player progress and it is mandatory and not optional. This is not healthy for a MMORPG like World of Warcraft. Period.