Even Crendor makes few good points.

His point about it have a different lower sub just for those servers is an interesting one too.

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    Do people actually believe that, if Blizz offered Vanilla/TBC/etc servers, PSes would disappear? O_o
    I don't think anyone claimed they would. And if they did, I too am against that notion.

What would change, if Blizzard offered Legacy Servers, would be a portion (how big or small, no one really knows) of the players playing these servers, would instead move to play via the official method.

Quote Originally Posted by kary View Post
    So if an expansion takes away/edits existing features, it's no longer an expansion? Nostalrius logic lol
    Nope, but just because it is an "expansion" doesn't mean that over a decade and multiple expansions the game can't change enough to basicly play like a completly different game, despite "technically" still being the same game.

If all WoW expansions did was add more levels, zones and instances, you'd have a point. But when several classes, zones, instances, spells, NPCs and features have been removed or severely edited over the years, you need to be very strict and/or not have played one of the versions to be able to state they're "the same".
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2016-04-11 at 04:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Even Crendor makes few good points.

His point about it have a different lower sub just for those servers is an interesting one too.
    I don't see any reason for the sub to be lower than the "normal" sub.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Ghier View Post
    It pisses me off when I see people playing Super Mario 64. That game is so old. Stop living in the past. Play the newest Mario game or GTFO. Newest Mario = best Mario.
    Didn't know that Mario games were subscription based, and that with every new Mario game that came out the old ones were altered is some way.... Oh wait. That's a really, REALLY stupid comparison that only a child would come up with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    This is the point I've been making. They have been proven wrong and that there is in fact a demand for legacy servers. It's a black eye and I think Az on Youtube hit the nail on the head. Blizzard is bitter because a large number of their former players feel that the game 10 years ago is better than the current game.
    Not played on any private server. Big question is, as many have already mentioned, was the number due to it being free? I am sure there will queues outside McDonalds if they made their items free.

People have mentioned they were willingly to pay for a legacy server, but will there be enough to justify it? A few hundred probably not. I would say it needs a few thousands. And people needs to accepts that there will be no updates or fixes. Since people are paying a sub fee for it, will they find a lack for service acceptable?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atelniar View Post
    You might be right that a minority would clear content quickly, but I raise a question: how relevant is that minority in terms of this content?
    As important as the minority asking for a legacy server.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Sarevokcz View Post
    he has a valid point, how much content is there to do in vanilla? now how much of that content people have played through already? vanilla realm simply doesnt look like it could prosper long-term, considering there would be zero patces ever, most people interested in vanilla would finish the content in a couple of months and considering vanilla had very little replayability, those people would just... leave. it simply wouldnt be worth it for blizzard.
    For an average guild there's content for at least a years and half, don't expect to hit 60 and jump into molten core with green gear (my first mc pug could barely get past first 2 molten giants), there are no welfare epics purchased with valor and gearing in lv60 dungeons takes time, there's resistance gear to be crafted (fire for molten core and bwl, nature for aq and frost for naxx), onyxia scale cloak is mandatory for half of the bwl bosses, it will take at least 3 lucifron kills in order to have enough hunters with tranq shot for magmadar, gearing tanks and all raid takes much more time since bosses drop 3-4 loots for 40ppl and there are no tier tokens (until nax) so if the tank needs tier legs they have to drop off boss, getting to onyxia requires a long chain, final bosses of AQ40 (world effort alone for aq opening will take some months...) from Huhuran to C'thun are VERY hard and the wotlk Naxxramas looks like wailing caverns compared to Naxx40...
    The point is you have mega content drought today, in vanilla content was released so fast that average guilds couldn't keep up, my greatest regret in vanilla was that when i finally downed C'thun there was no time left for naxx since tbc was at the gates, for the record no guild on my old server (eu runetotem) managed to down sapphiron...
    Last edited by D3athsting; 2016-04-11 at 04:13 PM.
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    You can bet there's a lot more people willing to pay for a legitimate, legal, server from the company who made the game than an illegal server that could be taken down at any time. Live WoW has had over 100m accounts registered and currently has 5.5m subscribers (last official announcement, likely lower not. I'm not going to speculate.) which is at best an overall 5.5% retention rate.
    over 12 years you have to add. And you have no prove that all these freeloaders would PAY a buck against all the hopes you have they would.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have had a day and night away from the forums to take a step back to think about this with a level head, and I must say I have been slightly swayed in favor of wanting vanilla servers over not having it at all.

So first things first.

What I don't agree with is the Nost gang and Private Server users blaming Blizzard for their loss, this isn't their fault, Blizzard protected their property the same way any company would it doesnt matter if they were making money out of it or not. I know people are upset that they lost their long earned hard effort on playing private servers but in the end that's your fault and that's something you probably don't want to hear. You take the risk on playing something that isn't legal you will get burned, this is one of the reasons I was smart enough to avoid private servers when I heard about them, they were not permissioned by Blizzard so an alarm in my head told me, you know what thats a bad idea it isn't worth it.

But... If this has taught us anything is that there is a demand for private servers, a pretty large vocal one, and as long as you take your voices to blizzard in a loud but constructive manner they will listen, constructive doesn't mean yelling "OMG YOUR GAMES SUCK NOW GIVE US PRIVATE SERVERS YOU **** MOTHER *****, I HOPE YOU ALL DIE FROM INSERT DISEASE AND MORE PROFANITY, because you talk like that and they way you are talking on these forums are not going to get Blizzard take you or your case seriously.

I personally have swayed in favor of private servers, aside from wanting these blasted forums clear of all these "gif private server" topics. Mainly so we can admit there is a need for them. Blizzard have always been a pretty community heavy company, betting than most as I have had great experiences with them in and out of game.

Now if both sides can just put pride aside and maybe find a level playing field maybe Blizzard would listen, there's no need to start some stupid witch hunt over the matter. Those that want private servers take your voices to blizzard, but don't get angry at others, as for those that play WoW currently those that are asking for private servers have every right to ask for it, and we gotta respect their opinions, maybe you didn't like vanilla but they did. Its why Blizzard need to give us options

I know alot of these Nost and Private Server crew are feeling like refugees right now, coming over and seeking a resolve, but let's be a little civil about it.

Now I am off to the other forums MMO-Champion has to offer far away from this sub forum as possible
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kary View Post
    Is the game I'm playing somehow not World of Warcraft?

I still have characters created in vanilla on my account. If they were separate games, these characters wouldn't exist.
    You and I obviously have very different meanings of the word same. Saying it's the same because of the name and because your characters are still there is laughable at best (easily debunked by using pruning, yeah man totally the same except I don't have some spells anymore, which by definition means it's not the same).

Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    Except that just as the server and the people who ran it were breaking the rules.

This thread's existence goes against the very rules of this forum... change them or close the thread. Or do the rest of us get to pick and choose which rules we want to follow too?
    No it isn't... Even the mods gave it the thumbs up. Nost is gone, so we can talk about it. Especially since Blizzard themselves are letting similar threads exist on their forums. There's no harm in letting people discuss this topic on a server that doesn't exist.

Keep the videos coming, people! We will not be silenced.

I'd pay $15 a month for legacy servers FYI.
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghier View Post
    It pisses me off when I see people playing Super Mario 64. That game is so old. Stop living in the past. Play the newest Mario game or GTFO. Newest Mario = best Mario.
    good thing u can buy the old version of Mario just fine.

World of Warcraft is about expansion and moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by LunarEclipse View Post
    The server had only existed for a year. Let me ask you, did you play pre-TBC? It took me months to get from 1-30, then 30-50 and 50-60. By the time I had been 60 for a few months, TBC was out. Leveling takes ages and people do plenty of other things while they level which makes it take even longer. Thus, your argument is rendered completely invalid.
    I'm sorry when Vanilla released I was like 3rd on my server to max level. And I didn't have much time to play Open Beta before the game released either or else it would have been even faster. I got so bored at max level because people weren't ready to raid and dungeon I went back to Everquest for a while. Some people took a long time to level but the 'new' factor was there and so it didn't take months before shit started happening, maybe weeks but not months.

People who play the game for free shouldn't get that right. Good riddance. Hope everyone learned their lesson. And you can be wise guys and join another private server, but that'll get shut down too. Learn how intellectual property and the law works. If you're playing any version of the game for free, that's against the law and I hope you all cry about it. In addition, why on EARTH would Blizzard ever put up legacy servers. It's laughable. Hey, I have a great idea -- let's release a game we've worked on for 10 years and put up a server that has the shittiest version of it. Sounds logical.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    There is no way hosting a server capable of handling 150k active users just cost $500/month. Unless the server owners were doing this with them (which would actually explain why they are getting sued too).
    It doesnt matter how much the hosting company made the got a C&D because they made a profit of something that belongs to Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Scubaskot View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzgPSjSFGgU&nohtml5=False
    Stop linking the same videos over and over again. Especially ones that have the same fallacious arguments as the posters from Nost server.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Stop linking the same videos over and over again. Especially ones that have the same fallacious arguments as the posters from Nost server.
    since when you tell me what to post or not ...