10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodo View Post
    Why close a server run by a volunteer team doing something you DON'T want to do? Blizzard has said they don't want to do legacy servers. They just don't. It has been said time and time again. If you don't want to fucking do it, why stop other people from doing it?

What a gigantic dick move. Unless of course they are about to announce legacy servers, which they are most likely not.
    So you are cool with me taking something of yours you made ten years ago and making money, or social fame off of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Capsloch View Post
    LFR isn't the point of the game - and the people you're playing with might as well be NPC's.

Do you have to interact with anyone to do anything in the game anymore? No - it's essentially a single player RPG. You and everyone else on this forum knows it also.

Additionally, you can't prove 2.5million+ any longer - the statistic is no longer available. If you never played vanilla/EQ, you wouldn't understand what a true MMO is - which probably is the case for you and the rest of the teenagers on this forum.
    Bro you overthink things too much. Check my post again, I never said LFR was the point of the game, it's called an example. Lol you really don't know the history of your mmos do you? When WoW first came out it certainly did not fit the model of your sterotypical grindy & more traditional mmos back in the day. Damaged gear could be repaired instead of breaking permanently & you lost nothing from dying (aside from a long corpse run costing you time or a big repair bill if you used the spirit healer). Unlike other mmos you still kept your gear when dying.

WoW a single player game? *Sigh* must I always give the same examples for you guys to stop trying to pass this one off? It is easy to say WoW is a single player game if you only quest, do random bgs, normal/heroic five mans, and normal raiding. However, since further more difficult and/or interactive content does exist beyond those activities your claim is rather flawed. Unless you are a seasoned mythic raider, CM player, 2400+ arena player (without the kick bots & IP hacks), 2400+ rbg player who can do any of these activities without needing to talk with your group mates then no the game is not essentially a solo player game. Better step up your game to content that actually requires you to talk with your group constantly to do well at it before you keep making your own copy & paste arguments more commonplace of a teenager.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barkloud View Post
    I played extensively on their server and the community was awesome. do not know what you are talking about. way more friendly then current wows toxic environment talking about how they rape bosses. outside of the rp and rppvp servers, wow live's community is a cesspool
    Oh the irony. Considering Nost's chat was so filled with Blizz bashing, and WoW the good ol days, and this is so much better than live.

It was the perfect little community where a bunch of haters gathered to talk about all the bad parts of live. It was pretty much the drivel from this thread in twitter form.

That of course mixed in with all the chat spam for LFG.

Because LF Tank/healer is the very epitome of "being social".

Quote Originally Posted by Pantalaimon View Post
    It is easy to say WoW is a single player game if you only quest, do random bgs, normal/heroic five mans, and normal raiding.
    Isn't this most of the game?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    Considering Nost's chat was so filled with Blizz bashing, and WoW the good ol days, and this is so much better than live.
    You sound like you're just pulling this out of your ass.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goondicker View Post
    Just to clear some things up:

- Nostalrius was never in danger of shutting down due to financial reasons. Anyone saying they couldn't afford to keep the server up is uninformed.

- There is no sense in arguing if Vanilla was better or worse than the current retail game (this goes for both sides of the argument). It's an opinion and not everyone has the same one.

- Blizzard is definitely within their legal right to bring action against Nostalrius. I don't think anyone is really debating that. Are they douchebags? That's another opinion that can't really be argued. They certainly are upsetting a group of players who love their games but want to play older versions.

- There is clearly a desire for legacy realms as can be seen by the current popularity of private servers.

- Will Blizzard ever make a legacy server? We don't know, but it's not likely. The financial logistics are not trivial.

- Quite simply, if you are in favor of legacy servers, sign the Nost petition and move on to another realm. If you're not in favor, just move along until it blows over. Both sides are really making their respective communities look bad.
    Everything that needed to be said in this thread. Can we make this a pop-up whenever someone wants to write into/create a legacy server thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Henako View Post
    Isn't this most of the game?
    Yes, but for Vanilla this was still most of the game as well. Trying to say the leveling content and/or lower/more easier of the end game content that requires little to no communication equals the game being multiplayer is a flawed perspective. There is a lot of content for both PvE & PvP that requires you to communicate with your group or you will fail and get kicked faster than you can say "lawflpwnscrubsauce". People like to just conveniently only look at the content they do & ignore the content that is viewed as 'elitest' or 'minority' and say the need for communication does not exist when it clearly does.
    Last edited by Pantalaimon; 2016-04-11 at 11:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sqviddy View Post
    Why because I didn't enjoy my experience on Nost? Because I was provided with a much needed dose of reality?

*Gasp* "Well I never!" "How could anyone be unsatisfied with a vanilla server?"

It really was the same response on the server that you are getting in this forum. You don't want a different opinion you want everyone to see it as you do.

If you don't like it, go back to live "Wrathbaby" thanks for ruining the game.

Pretty much summed up my experience.

He is lol. Everyone was too busy having fun, the bashing was not extreme at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Yes, but for Vanilla this was still most of the game as well. Trying to say the leveling content and/or lower/more easier of the end game content that requires little to no communication equals the game being multiplayer is a flawed perspective. There is a lot of content for both PvE & PvP that requires you to communicate with your group or you will fail and get kicked faster than you can say "lawflpwnscrubsauce". People like to just conveniently only look at the content they do & ignore the content that is viewed as 'elitest' or 'minority' and say the need for communication does not exist when it clearly does.
    You missed my point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    He is lol. Everyone was too busy having fun, the bashing was not extreme at all.
    There you go downplay it... nothing negative ever happened on Nost.

If... If you still enjoy live version of WoW for any reason... it was a toxic community.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    What's the next best server after Nostralius? I tried dabbling in PS long ago but they were always pay to win bullshit with people donating getting super OP items to 1 shot everyone. I think I tried one that tried to stay true to Blizzlike but it was buggy as hell.
    This isn't about PS talking, it's about Nos.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    Why because I didn't enjoy my experience on Nost? Because I was provided with a much needed dose of reality?

*Gasp* "Well I never!" "How could anyone be unsatisfied with a vanilla server?"
    It's perfectly fine to not enjoy Vanilla. A lot of people did though & would still enjoy it today. I'm not faulting you for not enjoying Vanilla.

You saying that Nost chat was obsessed with bashing Blizz & Live while circlejerking about how great everyone is for playing on Nost is false though.

What's the next best server after Nostralius? I tried dabbling in PS long ago but they were always pay to win bullshit with people donating getting super OP items to 1 shot everyone. I think I tried one that tried to stay true to Blizzlike but it was buggy as hell.
    You must want to get infracted don't you? Trying to recruit for private servers is not allowed here. The reason this thread is allowed is because it brings up a good issue in the WoW community (and also reduces the amount of rage threads in response to Blizz shutting Nost down).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    This isn't about PS talking, it's about Nos.
    Oh, is that still against the rules? Figured it was free game since we can talk about Nos

- - - Updated - - -

You must want to get infracted don't you? Trying to recruit for private servers is not allowed here. The reason this thread is allowed is because it brings up a good issue in the WoW community (and also reduces the amount of rage threads in response to Blizz shutting Nost down).
    My mistake, I'm only barely catching up with this stuff. Thought they lifted the rule since we can talk about Nos

Deleted
    Oh, is that still against the rules? Figured it was free game since we can talk about Nos
    No, because you cant play there anymore.

Deleted
    I was on Nost for the first month. I can't say I blame Blizzard for wanting to shut down Nostalrius but they went about it so hamfisted it's left a bitter taste in my mouth. That said Nost seems like a wasted opportunity for them, instead of profiting from it they've decided to shut it down and sue a small penniless team. While it's certainly within their rights it smacks of sour grapes.

As for the server itself? It was great for the first month until it went mainstream, then 4chan and a host of other sites discovered it. The community went from being a tight knit group of old schoolers well in to their twenties to toxic meme-spouting millenials that make barrens chat look like childs play, it was torture. If Nost has taught me anything it's that you can't recreate the same community (unless you isolate yourself to a guild of mature players) but you can recreate the gameplay.

Not that I'm really adding anything to the conversation but I wanted to share my thoughts.

It's perfectly fine to not enjoy Vanilla. A lot of people did though & would still enjoy it today. I'm not faulting you for not enjoying Vanilla.

You saying that Nost chat was obsessed with bashing Blizz & Live while circlejerking about how great everyone is for playing on Nost is false though.
    It's not false if he experienced it.

10+ Year Old Account

Its not false... that was MY experience. You weren't logged in 24 hours a day.

For the record I liked vanilla when it was vanilla... I just don't have selective memory when it comes to many pain points and how far the game has improved.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Propainn View Post
    "With respect to the franchises that don't have the potential to be exploited every year across every platform with clear sequel potential that can meet our objectives of over time becoming $100 million plus franchises, that's a strategy that has worked very well for us."

Kotick said that there's only been a "small single-digit number" of new, successful franchises in the last five or 10 years, and that properties they work on are those that "we know if we release today, we'll be working on 10 years from now."

Basically, if the project/franchise isn't a whale, it's never going to happen.

Sad, but there's our answer 100%. Unless the devs somehow get some semblance of control back, we will never have official legacy servers, not even at the end of the game's life cycle.
    actually I think it is worse than you suggest. While an actual legacy server is right out, we might get a 'modernized' classic wow experience, suppose on a 4.x++ engine, flying, LFR/LFD/Achievements/questhelper/veryfastleveing/mobs that tickle, not hit/multiple raid difficulties, with the raid content in timed rollouts to get a couple of years out of it or more if possible. No classic bg's, no talent trees, etc. Just the old map (fixed for flying) and quests (with simplifications - no more marshall windsor or missing diplomat)

dont forget to buy your instant 60 boost and some extra gold in our game store, and watch for the new commemorative qirajbug mounts when we release aq in LFR!!!
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.