Quote Originally Posted by Scubaskot View Post
    why is it bothering you if people like vanilla ??? every1 plays what they enjoy ...
    I don't mind that people like vanilla, but painting it is the best that ever has existed is just a bit crazy. The person I quoted tried to bash other versions of the game with things that just simply weren't true.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorianus View Post
    On your point number 2 i beg to differ:

As long as you were not a notorious alt leveling person you started the inevitable gear tread mill sooner or later just like in the later expacs, yes the leveling took longer but there came the point where you could only get stronger through MC->BWL->AQ and so on.
    Yes and that poses what problem? Plenty of other games "end" exactly like that. I've never really heard of people who grew bored of playing Vanilla. And those who might could just go back to live. Play Legion. Go back, start up a new character, play for a few months etc.

Deleted
    Wow, over 700 pages and still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by LunarEclipse View Post
    Yes and that poses what problem? Plenty of other games "end" exactly like that. I've never really heard of people who grew bored of playing Vanilla. And those who might could just go back to live. Play Legion. Go back, start up a new character, play for a few months etc.
    I got bored of playing Vanilla right after launch, I was one of the first to hit max level on my server and I got bored waiting around for more people to hit max level to do raids. I ended up stopping playing for a few months and came back later when I rerolled horde to play with friends. There were plenty of boring moments in Vanilla and it happened during some of the grinding up resist gear portions and waiting for things like AQ when there was some small gaps between raids.

So there you go now you heard of someone that grew bored of playing Vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    Or.. or, bear with me now..

They could not do that, and call it something like the World of WoWcraft instead.

Change some stuff around here and there, call orcs the "green warrior guys", Molten Core the "Scary Lava Demon Place" and so on.. They built the engine themselves anyway so I dont think Blizzard could do anything. Basically the same stuff Blizzard did when they copied their stuff from Warhammer.

Haha, what a great point. Everyone complaining about IP theft but completely overlooking warcraft was built on IP theft. IP in fantasy genre is silly because tolkien owns it all anyway.

No matter what side you stand on this issue what we've learned from this is that vanilla servers will be back and this time they'll be in a country that blizzard can't touch and they won't be shut down. Unless blizzard offers this service its quite possible they stand to lose a substantial amount of money, they are clearly threatened by the popularity of it or they wouldn't bother with filing suit.

We've had polls on mmo-champ now where 50% say blizzard should do it, this has increased since polls in the past and more are willing to pay for it now for official servers from blizzard. However, blizzard is up against a time crunch here. If someone gets nost back up and running in a country blizzard can't touch then I doubt many who already have established characters there would bother to start over on an official server especially if the population returns to nost.

Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    I'd be content with Vanilla ideals returning.
    I loved vanilla, had a ton of fun. But most of what was "lost"...is arguably good. Bad class designs, simplistic encounters, bad gear design (stats not artwork), a lot less things to do (but some of it definitely took longer) I can't think of a single change that was definitely a bad call.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

Quote Originally Posted by Eliseus View Post
    Blizzard has 100s of millions of accounts made yet only 2million (if that now) active. What does that say?
    That's it's been going on for 12 years as opposed to 12 months? Retention inevitably goes down as time goes on. My point is that Nost's numbers were not that great considering their context (free, strong IP, no microtransactions, no paywalls, no skewed grind), not in comparison to Retail.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

Why so passive aggressive dude ? i didnt attack you in anyway i just pointed to you out that vanilla was not only "the journey", go a little bit out and cool down jeez.

Quote Originally Posted by feellucky View Post
    Haha, what a great point. Everyone complaining about IP theft but completely overlooking warcraft was built on IP theft. IP in fantasy genre is silly because tolkien owns it all anyway.
    Please go figure out what IP theft means. Thanks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Intresting. I remember these forums and the official ones being filled with people crying that Cata was too hard. People were going crazy over the difficulty and Blizzard was eventually forced to nerf pretty much everything.

Oh, and insulting people will not help you when you're trying to get people to see things your way.
    Who am I insulting?

Dont know much about IT or Tech stuff but when they release the sourcecode and as far as i understand the player database is included in that isnt there a potential risk that all the e-mails and pw´s are exposed?

As i said i dont know anything about encryption.

This is why, even with official games, I have a separate email address and use different passwords.

Deleted
    Why so passive aggressive dude ? i didnt attack you in anyway i just pointed to you out that vanilla was not only "the journey", go a little bit out and cool down jeez.
    I'm in no way aggressive... How on earth could you see my response as me coming off aggressive? <3 It sounded like you were questioning the end game of vanilla, thus I asked why that would pose a problem.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleft01 View Post
    Source code shouldnt involve account data. Account data should be independent of that, and i assume they arent releasing account data.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nost hp
    Today is also the day where Nostalrius will start being community-driven in the truest sense of the word, as we will be releasing the source code, and anonymized players data (encrypting personal account data), so the community as a whole will decide the form of the future of Nostalrius.
    Would be interesting if Blizzard gets the data does a cross check with their data

Tbh I dont expect them to release any data or source code...

Allow me to viciously tear your argument to pieces.
    1. People want to play Vanilla because it was fun and it still is. Because it in every way beats the current way of things. And the only reason you see it this way, is because you must be one of the kids/lesser skilled players that Blizzard currently caters to. Cataclysm lowered the difficulty from acceptable to easy 1hitkill. It went from an MMORPG to a Facebook/browser game. Farmville meets Clash of Clans.

2. Oh boo, Vanilla had less content? Perhaps because it was the core game. And you're used to getting everything handed to you on a silver plate. You're literally getting levels and gear thrown at you. "Here! Take this level and this and this!"
    "TAKE ALL THE LEVELS AND GEAR YOU CAN CARRY!" - Blizzard Entertainment anno 2015/6.
    Where leveling used to serve a purpose, letting you hone your skills and build up your character, you're now just blasting through content that took quite some time in the past. Barely anyone quests anymore because dungeons are so much faster. It's all about getting to 100 and getting dem HC items within a week. In Vanilla you could take your time, it was okay, no rush. You grouped up with people for a difficult quest. You enjoyed the world and all it had to offer. You were on foot, but it was okay. Every tiny progress was a reward. Now, if you haven't taken down this specific boss, you're a nobody. The world doesn't matter, the quests don't matter, the people don't matter. What matters now is the end game. That's all. Not the road towards it.

All the aspects that once made this game great, the core values. They're gone or at the very least, they've warped into something that I no longer recognize. Legion brings back some of it, but it's not enough.

If you think sitting in your Garrison, getting invited to a Mythic kill is the highlight of your week, then I feel sorry for you. I really do.
    You can still take your time leveling, you don't have to equip heirlooms, you don't have to grind dungeons, and you don't have play alone. I don't know about you, but in vanilla, pretty sure everyone was about fast leveling and endgame, granted it had more steps, but essentially same goals as now. The game felt different when you were new, because everything was new, and that isn't the case anymore.

You now have 100, soon to be 110 levels to plow through, 1-60 was great the first time, not so much the 2nd and by the 3rd you'd rather pay a China man to do it for you. Running around on foot wasn't awesome, it sucked, I was so happy at level 40, and extremely disappointed at level 60 when I couldn't even afford an epic mount.

Grouping was a pain in the balls, especially on collection quests, people grouped to make things easier sure, but not because they enjoyed it. The players asked for these changes, it wasn't something they did because lowest common denominator = sales.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gamingmuscle View Post
    I loved vanilla, had a ton of fun. But most of what was "lost"...is arguably good. Bad class designs, simplistic encounters, bad gear design (stats not artwork), a lot less things to do (but some of it definitely took longer) I can't think of a single change that was definitely a bad call.
    Homogenization, handouts, removal of tiered progression and required time and effort for reward. Flying, garrisons, missions, LFD/LFR.... An over abundance of convenience.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    Yet, you're terrified of having a return of time and effort = reward. This is absolutely hysterical.
    LOL time/skill still = reward. You want good gear, that takes time and/or skill. You just want to see the story, sure you can get threw lfr in a night. And you'll get shitty rewards for it due to the low time/skill requirement. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

Deleted
    Yeah, cause when people talk about Vanilla ideals returning, they absolutely mean we should return to bad class design, bad gear design and simplistic encounters.
    They aren't actually talking about things like community, difficulty and a removal of anti-social features like LFG and LFR. They aren't talking about things like reversing the effects of pruning, bringing back old talent trees and world PvP.
    And you totally did not attack a strawman.

I agree wholeheartedly. Most of what we lost was tedium, and added convenience. LFD/LFR were two of the best additions. Can't say I'm super fond of CRZ and having to fight for quest/mob objectives and the XP reduction when you party up makes other players more of a hindrance than a help.

But, overall the changes (and added conveniences) have been positive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    I'll just comment on a few parts of this starting with 1. It in EVERY way beats the current way of things? Riiiiight because vanilla dungeons and raids were soooooo challenging. Just because you think 'standing in garrison" is all that happens with the 'facebook' games is pretty funny. You make mythic raiding sound like it is some simple event that everyone does.

You try to tear an argument to pieces by putting up one that is just as ridiculous as the one you are quoting. Good god there is no end to this.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah well said on that post that made no fucking sense and tried to paint Vanilla as THE BEST THING EVAH!
    It was the best thing ever. It was the first game. And now it's crap. Blizzard stated they wanted people out of the cities and into the world. They gave us Garrisons. A city of your own. Where you can stand and do absolutely nothing and have everything handed to you.

I'm not even going to comment... Okay, I am. Vanilla dungeons were challenging. Mythic dungeons are not. LFR is a joke. Professions... don't even get me started. I liked farming and it served a purpose. And I was out in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Holtzmann View Post
    That's it's been going on for 12 years as opposed to 12 months? Retention inevitably goes down as time goes on. My point is that Nost's numbers were not that great considering their context (free, strong IP, no microtransactions, no paywalls, no skewed grind), not in comparison to Retail.
    Your point is wrong.