Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Punisher View Post
    It can't be word for word, cause it was a game and not a book or a play. Jesus

It was literally a warhammer game. But keep ignoring facts.
    It was literally Romeo and Juliet. Word for word. But keep trolling.

Sorry but that isn't true. Blizzard is suing tons of game developers that take "ideas" from them.

No, he's correct. It's the fundamental idea behind copyright law.

If you write a story about dragons who poop rainbows, you can't copyright "dragons who poop rainbows". What you DO copyright is specific characters, names, places, and the exact sequence of words that encompass your idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    Yea alot of these anti Vanilla server people, would as well. They will just never admit it.
    Indeed, that's why I don't understand why it doens't exist.

Yea alot of these anti Vanilla server people, would as well. They will just never admit it.
    Eh I agree with Blizzard on one statement, I think Vanilla servers would see a huge spike at first and then a drop off. However, where I disagree with them is that the population left after the spike would still be large enough. As much as lot of people bitch about how easy live is, a large chunk would go running back because they didn't instantly get ported to the instance, their bag space wasn't massive, they didn't have AOE and Auto loot, they had to spend time finding groups, oh and they had to somewhat behave themselves. People can argue all day about whether Vanilla was hard or not, but there is one things you can't argue, if you wanted to get anywhere you had to play.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    No, he's correct. It's the fundamental idea behind copyright law.

If you write a story about dragons who poop rainbows, you can't copyright "dragons who poop rainbows". What you DO copyright is specific characters, names, places, and the exact sequence of words that encompass your idea.
    Don't you dare try to logic him.

Exactly. It's always a healer or tank who spouts off that spending hours to find groups didn't happen. It DID. That's why LFG was invented.
    So DPS had to wait a whopping 30 more minutes? LFG was invented and the sense of community went out the door so fast. I'd much rather kept waiting 30 more minutes then to be playing a single player silent game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Just because you keep repeating falsehoods doesn't make them any more true.

The company that owns the Warhammer IP is famous for their willingness to sue. If Blizzard had infringed their IP they would have been stopped. But they weren't, because Blizzard's games do not infringe.
    Falsehood.

FALSEHOOD.

LOOOOOOOOOOL

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Warhammer-RTS

http://kotaku.com/5929161/how-warcra...that-saved-wow

"FALSEHOOD"

Stop. My sides. I can't breathe.

Deleted
    I think we all know what would happen if Blizzard opened a legacy server don't we? It would be utterly overrun with players. It would be like Nostalrius.

The problem Blizzard have is that to do this would be to admit they have been ruining the game for years. They cannot bring themselves to do this despite all the evidence: the cascading sub numbers; the people flocking to servers like Nostalrius; the fact that they themselves seem to not even want to bother releasing content or improving the game despite them investing huge resources in other titles (Heroes, Hearthstone, Overwatch, StarCraft, Diablo); and pumping money into making a film.

I haven't managed to play on Nostalrius but I do yearn for the game to get back to what it was in Vanilla. A game with longevity, that challenged players and created a real sense of accomplishment, that almost forced you to group. That is the essence of why this game was great. The fact that people are playing on Nost, and returning in massive numbers at the start of every expac is a clear indication that Blizz are just getting it wrong repeatedly.

I said it before and I will say it again, they need a leadership cull, an injection of fresh blood with new ideas and a willingness to drastically change course from the top down. They need to re-engage with the thinking that made the game great, and resist the urge to make the game too convenient (in other words boring).

Quote Originally Posted by xhisors View Post
    Not talking private. Since private has been adjusted to not be a living hell.

You couldn't pull more than 2 mobs or you would die, and you would be out of mana almost instantly.
    Priests were the most mana efficient levelers, even in the early beginnings of wow. All you had to do was shield, pain and wand. All the way to 60.

Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    Coming from EQ and Earth and Beyond Vanilla WoW was cake to level in. Shit, Earth and Beyond I managed 2 toons to cap in roughly the same period of time. That took forever to level in. Let's also avoid discussion of Hell Levels from EQ.
    WoW was cake for some classes, but spell push back and the lack of damage you did vs the damage done to you was in vanilla was bullshit. WoW wasn't my first mmo, nor was managing 3 skills too hard, however leveling a priest was a pain in the dick unless you had help.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    So a game can't have a story written for it? Does that story have no words? And for that matter the code has words as well, so it could be a word for word copy of something. Isn't that what you think? Since Blizzard ripped off Warhammer. It must bea word for word copy. Hesus.
    You are comparing apples and oranges here.

Sorry but that isn't true. Blizzard is suing tons of game developers that take "ideas" from them.
    http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ31.pdf

What Is Not Protected by Copyright

Copyright law does not protect ideas, methods, or systems. Copyright protection is therefore not available for ideas or procedures for doing, making, or building things; scientific or technical methods or discoveries; business operations or procedures; mathematical principles; formulas or algorithms; or any other concept, process, or method of operation.

Section 102 of the Copyright Act (title 17 of the U.S. Code) clearly expresses this principle: “In no case does copyright protection for an original work of authorship extend to any idea, procedure, process, system, method of operation, concept, principle, or discovery, regardless of the form in which it is described, explained, illustrated, or embodied in such work.”

-----

One consequence of this is recipes cannot be copyrighted, only specific wording of recipes. In game terms, combat systems cannot be copyrighted, but the names of spells could be.
    Last edited by Osmeric; 2016-04-12 at 09:49 PM.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Radeghost View Post

This is thing we're all missing in WoW. A community.
    This is tragic.

Deleted
    You are comparing apples and oranges here.
    Someone before you said apples and oranges. Are you ripping them off? How dare you.

Exactly. It's always a healer or tank who spouts off that spending hours to find groups didn't happen. It DID. That's why LFG was invented.
    That was always exaggerated lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Eh I agree with Blizzard on one statement, I think Vanilla servers would see a huge spike at first and then a drop off. However, where I disagree with them is that the population left after the spike would still be large enough. As much as lot of people bitch about how easy live is, a large chunk would go running back because they didn't instantly get ported to the instance, their bag space wasn't massive, they didn't have AOE and Auto loot, they had to spend time finding groups, oh and they had to somewhat behave themselves. People can argue all day about whether Vanilla was hard or not, but there is one things you can't argue, if you wanted to get anywhere you had to play.
    How come you think it would drop off? Nostalrius only saw an increase in population throughout its time, so that leads me to think that if Blizzard had seized the opportunity and offered this service for a fee, they could have a sizable player base on these servers.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never played Nost. I am only anti-Nost because they stole something and someone was making money.

Three things would happen if Blizzard created a server:
    People wouldn't try it because it wasn't free.
    People would try it and then lose interest in three months.
    Some people would hang on for a year, however the server would be so dead you couldnt do anything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evaida View Post
    I think we all know what would happen if Blizzard opened a legacy server don't we? It would be utterly overrun with players. It would be like Nostalrius.

The problem Blizzard have is that to do this would be to admit they have been ruining the game for years. They cannot bring themselves to do this despite all the evidence: the cascading sub numbers; the people flocking to servers like Nostalrius; the fact that they themselves seem to not even want to bother releasing content or improving the game despite them investing huge resources in other titles (Heroes, Hearthstone, Overwatch, StarCraft, Diablo); and pumping money into making a film.

I haven't managed to play on Nostalrius but I do yearn for the game to get back to what it was in Vanilla. A game with longevity, that challenged players and created a real sense of accomplishment, that almost forced you to group. That is the essence of why this game was great. The fact that people are playing on Nost, and returning in massive numbers at the start of every expac is a clear indication that Blizz are just getting it wrong repeatedly.

I said it before and I will say it again, they need a leadership cull, an injection of fresh blood with new ideas and a willingness to drastically change course from the top down. They need to re-engage with the thinking that made the game great, and resist the urge to make the game too convenient (in other words boring).
    Yep, this isnt even nostalgia.. obviously Vanilla looks awful now and had its issues like bugs, but that doesnt mean retail is better. They could have just modernized the graphics and kept the essence of the game intact instead of turning it into the World of the Latest Raid and Pointless cosmetics.

Falsehood.

FALSEHOOD.

LOOOOOOOOOOL

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Warhammer-RTS

http://kotaku.com/5929161/how-warcra...that-saved-wow

"FALSEHOOD"

Stop. My sides. I can't breathe.
    "Was intended to be Warhammer" doesn't mean it WAS Warhammer, or that what was released infringed Warhammer IP.

Please try to think more coherently on this subject.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    Wat. Hunters could do it in about 4 days /played. Most other classes between 5 and 6.

Maybe a super experienced player who has the run from 1-60 memorized and just goes crazy yes.

If I remember right, would have to look into it, the fastest 1-60 ever was just under 4 days. So saying it took just slightly longer for every other class for casual person... just no. 58-60 took like 2 weeks to do grinding mobs on its own.

But again, this was not on a private server where XP wasn't altered or scaled differently (if Nos was even scaled differently than what it was back then, i've heard it was easier to level on Nos than it was on live vanilla servers).