Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

What is going on with my PC?

Hey guys, I'm seriously freaking out right now because my computer is acting up. First of all, when I booted it up the other day it took me to the bios menu. Asked me to update my firmware. After it did that, it shut off. I clicked the power button right after it did and this is where everything went haywire. It wouldn't boot up. It acts like it wants to boot up but it won't. It goes to power up and about 2 seconds later it'll shut down. It repeats this process without me doing anything at all. I'll stand by somewhere and it'll continue to try and boot but won't do anything.

I tried reseating the ram, took out the CMOS battery (waited 5 minutes and put it back in). I'm not sure what else there is for me to do. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: would also like to mention, where the PSU is, it sounds like a flicking noise every time it attempts to boot.
    Last edited by BarelyLegalBear; 2016-04-15 at 12:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Try removing the CMOS battery and pressing the power button with the computer disconnected from the power network several times, this should flush it.

But yeah your PSU might be going crazy and the mobo is simply preventing you from turning the computer on for safety reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll try that when I get home from work.

Managed to make a video while I was home.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm at home now, what exactly do you mean by unplugging the computer from the power network?

Deleted
    Sounds like a short. Take everything out the case and put it on a table or rubber mat and try starting it with just the motherboard, psu, ram. If it still shuts down try the paperclip test on the psu to make sure it works properly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snow View Post

I'm at home now, what exactly do you mean by unplugging the computer from the power network?
    Take it out from the wall.

7+ Year Old Account
    Try replacing your keyboard.

I've had this kind of reboot-loop before. It if goes through the barebones boot test described above it might be the GPU or HDD randomly gotten fried somehow (both the reasons I've seen it before, but the HDD one you could hear it actually was the HDD). Other than that, Google knows the rest.

Deleted
    I would say use your warranty if you have one of course. I had something similar. I cannot remember exact steps how did I fixed my old computer. But I remember that I definitely reinstalled my bios.

Normally if you flash your bios your computer will auto restart and you are not supposed to turn of the power, seems like you tought the pc shut down when it was actually restarting and you turned it off by pressing the power button. Some motherboards come with a backup bios or a possibility to recover or even reflash with a USB drive, if you let us know which motherboard you have we might be able to tell you more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    Normally if you flash your bios your computer will auto restart and you are not supposed to turn of the power, seems like you tought the pc shut down when it was actually restarting and you turned it off by pressing the power button. Some motherboards come with a backup bios or a possibility to recover or even reflash with a USB drive, if you let us know which motherboard you have we might be able to tell you more.
    I have the Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 mobo.

Your motherboard seems to have a dual bios so you could try to enable the 2nd one and see if you can get it to boot with that (you will have to set it up again though), check you manual to see how to proceed with this.