Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    Doing the math in our family, if my wife was to work full time, her entire paycheck would go to daycare. So what's the point of sending them to daycare when it is not benefitting monetarily, and only hurting your relationship with your kids by allowing someone else to raise them.
    This is actually very common. Child care is indeed very expensive, especially quality childcare.

I'd really like to think that this was such a stupid idea that no-one would think of it, but unfortunately, the OECD actually has been pushing this. They're upset that in Finland, there's a very small difference between the employment rate between men and women, except for mothers of very young children. They're very upset that women are staying home with their babies and toddlers instead of being in the workforce as soon as possible, whether they're married or not and financially need to be working or not. That's neoliberals for you. So now they've been talking to Finland about dropping their maternity leave from 3 years to 1 year, or even less! Never mind that education outcomes are better for children who have a parent that spends more time with them. I know that's a politically incorrect thing to say, but after having kids and seeing them develop, I'm certain that they do benefit from having a solid start at home, and it is a worthwile investment by society.

I'm a woman, and I've never really been a feminist, mostly because I thought it was kind of irrelevant now, and pretty much everything had been sorted. The way I remember feminism being is that it was to address issues which specifically affect women just as much as equality for men where applicable, with motherhood being a pretty important feminist issue. Now that I am a mother, I can only see screams for equality between men and women with children being seen as an inconvenience to be thrown into daycare as young as possible as the single worst attack on women ever. Same as the idea that men should be considered automatically equally as important as a mother, even for little babies. So I see we're right back to the 1960's, complete with a fight to be able to raise our own children in a nurturing and loving manner, and work out a way to provide for our children without being separated from them.

As far as I'm concerned, any pay gap arising as a result of a mother being out of work for a while or working part-time isn't an issue. If a woman is paid less for the same hours and same job as a man, then that is an issue. Having a gap on your resume from being out of the workforce shouldn't be seen as a big deal to employers, but sadly, it is. I feel that needs to change. The number of homeless women in their 40's and 50's is absolutely shocking. At least, it is in Australia.

Deleted
    I love how many people totally missed the point of the article. Just goes to show, people on MMO-C really are dense. You saw Xarim's name, skimmed the post (if you didn't just read the title), and came to the conclusion that this is a serious piece advocating forcing women into work.

If your reaction was "that's a stupid idea" - THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT OF THE ARTICLE. It's a hypothetical that points out the absurdity of people complaining about the "wage gap".

They aren't seriously suggesting this should be done, they're saying "this is one of the biggest contributing factors to the wage gap, so if you believe the wage gap statistic of 21% and believe it's a problem, here's a way to solve it at a governmental level if you really wanted to". If you don't think forcing women into work and removing choice is the way to go, then shut the fuck up about the "wage gap" because it isn't going anywhere as long as women would prefer to stay home and raise a family than work full time.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2016-04-16 at 03:01 AM.

I'm sorry, what?

I mean, naturally, in the name of gender equality, we'd have to do the same for men, right?

Then...who's taking care of the kids?

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    If your reaction was "that's a stupid idea" - THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT OF THE ARTICLE. It's a hypothetical that points out the absurdity of people complaining about the "wage gap".
    Sarcasm is extremely hard to read on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

I love how many people totally missed the point of the article. Just goes to show, people on MMO-C really are dense. You saw Xarim's name, skimmed the post (if you didn't just read the title), and came to the conclusion that this is a serious piece advocating forcing women into work.

They aren't seriously suggesting this should be done, they're saying "this is one of the biggest contributing factors to the wage gap, so if you believe the wage gap statistic of 21% and believe it's a problem, here's a way to solve it at a governmental level if you really wanted to". If you don't think forcing women into work and removing choice is the way to go, then shut the fuck up about the "wage gap" because it isn't going anywhere as long as women would prefer to stay home and raise a family than work full time.
    which is why the neoliberal/OECD's push to essentially ban stay at home mums is so ridiculous, and why they have no business telling Finland that their 3 year maternity leave is wrong. If anything, we should be looking at having that here, in my opinion.

Deleted

All I did was link an article, written by someone else, in forbes

That triggered a bunch of dense people into kneejerk posting about my insane views like banning moms and women in kitchens or whatever

It's a gift

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Sarcasm is extremely hard to read on the internet.
    No it's not, some people just are not capable of expressing it properly.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

They aren't seriously suggesting this should be done, they're saying "this is one of the biggest contributing factors to the wage gap, so if you believe the wage gap statistic of 21% and believe it's a problem, here's a way to solve it at a governmental level if you really wanted to".
    except that the OECD is actually pushing for just that, and they do see it as a problem that women in a number of countries have such generous maternity leave, and at the same time are upset that in a lot of western nations we don't have paternity leave.

http://www.lisdatacenter.org/wp-cont...ve-report1.pdf
    They're not just writing a lot of reports about it and writing some books, but they're also talking to Governments that they think are being "too detrimental to women" by having such generous maternity leave schemes in place.

Deleted
    The secret to stopping feminists is contained in this video. I share it to you now. Also works on SJWs and BLM rioters.

Ever relevant:

Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

People in this thread are actually dumb... The title isn't serious. They aren't actually saying "Ban stay-at-home moms", it's called hyperbole. The idea here is that there is a wage gap. Some people see this wage gap as a huge problem that needs to be fixed. The article explains that the wage gap exists due to differences in work experience between the sexes which can be attributed to the far greater number of stay-at-home moms than the number of the stay-at-home dads. Therefore the only way to reduce the wage gap is to reduce the number of stay-at-home moms, or what the article is actually trying to tell you, without directly telling you, is that the wage gap isn't actually a problem at all, because the wage gap doesn't exist due to the reasons that people think.

Maybe you guys should actually finish reading the whole article before posting your thoughts.
    Last edited by Speaker; 2016-04-16 at 07:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I read the article. It was ridiculous, but I'll also be clear about the statement Xarim made as it was equally ridiculous. If anyone, Government or otherwise ever came to my house and tried to tell my wife or me that we could not stay at home with our children, or that my wife was somehow not allowed to make the choices "she" wanted to in her life, then the individual trying to enforce such an asinine law would be leaving in a Ambulance with a belly full of buckshot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    I read the article. It was ridiculous, but I'll also be clear about the statement Xarim made as it was equally ridiculous. If anyone, Government or otherwise ever came to my house and tried to tell my wife or me that we could not stay at home with our children
    This has happened before where I've linked an article and people are responding as if I wrote it

I didn't write the article, I didn't make a statement

Also to the people who think I believe both:

a) that we should ban stay at home moms

and

b) all women should be stay at home moms

I think you're deeply confused

Deleted
    I read the article. It was ridiculous, but I'll also be clear about the statement Xarim made
    You know how I know you didn't read the article? You think Xarim made a statement. He didn't. OP is just a copy & paste of the article. Either you have a memory span of seconds, or you're lying. Also, the author isn't making a sincere argument so you can put the shotgun away. They have no interest in forcing your wife to work.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2016-04-16 at 08:40 AM.

Why is gender pay gap even a thing? Even two men, who work for the same company and hold same position, may have quite different salaries O_o

Jesus F Christ. So far I made it down page 1 and not a SINGLE poster actually read the article. I give up and won't even try to have a conversation about it.

Except this: I agree with the article's suggestion. My own country is even more in need of it, considering Germans basically don't reproduce anymore. We need more options for young families, and "go work full time and sit your kid down into daycare" shouldn't be the only one, cause it's not exactly appealing to everyone.

- - - Updated - - -

I read the article. It was ridiculous, but I'll also be clear about the statement Xarim made as it was equally ridiculous. If anyone, Government or otherwise ever came to my house and tried to tell my wife or me that we could not stay at home with our children, or that my wife was somehow not allowed to make the choices "she" wanted to in her life, then the individual trying to enforce such an asinine law would be leaving in a Ambulance with a belly full of buckshot.

You very obviously either didn't read the article in its entirety, or have the reading comprehension of a 5 year old. The article argues that young families should have more options, and having one parent staying at home become a more viable option that's financially supported by the state in an equal manner that daycare is. Because daycare shouldn't be the only viable option, because many young parents (mostly mothers) would rather stay at home with their child. So, you're arguing against windmills here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by phillys View Post
    I'd really like to think that this was such a stupid idea that no-one would think of it, but unfortunately, the OECD actually has been pushing this. They're upset that in Finland, there's a very small difference between the employment rate between men and women, except for mothers of very young children. They're very upset that women are staying home with their babies and toddlers instead of being in the workforce as soon as possible, whether they're married or not and financially need to be working or not. That's neoliberals for you. So now they've been talking to Finland about dropping their maternity leave from 3 years to 1 year, or even less! Never mind that education outcomes are better for children who have a parent that spends more time with them. I know that's a politically incorrect thing to say, but after having kids and seeing them develop, I'm certain that they do benefit from having a solid start at home, and it is a worthwile investment by society.

I'm a woman, and I've never really been a feminist, mostly because I thought it was kind of irrelevant now, and pretty much everything had been sorted. The way I remember feminism being is that it was to address issues which specifically affect women just as much as equality for men where applicable, with motherhood being a pretty important feminist issue. Now that I am a mother, I can only see screams for equality between men and women with children being seen as an inconvenience to be thrown into daycare as young as possible as the single worst attack on women ever. Same as the idea that men should be considered automatically equally as important as a mother, even for little babies. So I see we're right back to the 1960's, complete with a fight to be able to raise our own children in a nurturing and loving manner, and work out a way to provide for our children without being separated from them.

As far as I'm concerned, any pay gap arising as a result of a mother being out of work for a while or working part-time isn't an issue. If a woman is paid less for the same hours and same job as a man, then that is an issue. Having a gap on your resume from being out of the workforce shouldn't be seen as a big deal to employers, but sadly, it is. I feel that needs to change. The number of homeless women in their 40's and 50's is absolutely shocking. At least, it is in Australia.

Excellent post, and I agree with you. I think there should be a maternal leave of at least 2 years, preferably 3. That's the age when I would generally think it's beneficial for a child to go to kindergarten part-time -- in which time the mother can work part-time. I stil wouldn't want to work full time with a child as young as 3.

There also need to be financial advantages. Seriously, if our government can spend billions on saving banks and refugees, it should be able to spend a fraction of that in order to incentivise young, preferably somewhat educated people, to be able to afford children. Everyone knows that the current young generation is worse off than our parents'. Most young (25-35) can not afford to have their own house, unless they inherited it. Job situations are unstable; a lot of people don't feel secure enough to raise a child in such conditions. If there was a guaranteed financial support for the first 3 years of a child, Germans might actually start breeding more again.

Deleted
    Just to note, paternal and maternal leave of 3 years is very long

As an employer, there is no way I would employ someone who was going to leave my company and expect to return 3 years later at full pay and in a similar position

By then, their skills would be so outdated they would not even be employable

Also no government can afford to just pay a man/woman a full salary just to stay at home and take care of a child (that would be like the government paying half the population a salary): the whole point of daycare is that it's cheaper to take care of kids in bulk
    Last edited by mmoca8403991fd; 2016-04-16 at 11:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Split parental leave 50/50 between the man and the woman. (I think Sweden already does this? or atleast something very close to it)

Now both parents are out of the workforce for the same amount of time. Problem solved.

10+ Year Old Account
    That wont solve the problem.

Or better yet, let feminists bitch all they want and ignore them already.

Question whatever you take for granted.