Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why are people mentioning the ''Void Lords'' as big threats these days?

I don't understand where that came from, did Blizzard release a teaser or something? Void Lords are the purple ghost demons as far as i know, the warlocks have the ability to summon some too. I can't understand how they suddenly became Old God/Titan tier enemies like the people started saying nowdays. Aren't they with the Burning legion anyway? they are a demon type that's why warlocks can summon them.

cuz Chronicles, in the book they are portraied as the grand evil of the universe, the creators of the old gods, the corruptors of worlds, the arch nemesis of the naaru

This comes from the World of Warcraft Chronicles Volume 1 (Book). They are basically the ultimate evil in the universe. To my knowledge, the book is the first time they were really talked about (I could be wrong). It is not the void lords you are thinking of.

It's one of those dumb things where two things have the same name.

They aren't the same Void Lords warlocks use, they are more like Void Gods.

Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    It's one of those dumb things where two things have the same name.

They aren't the same Void Lords warlocks use, they are more like Void Gods.
    Yeah the Void lords could have really used a different names.

I mean, the name itself is rather generic but it also already exists in Warcraft for those higher Voidwalkers.

Deleted
    Locks spawn voidlords, not void lords.

Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    Locks spawn voidlords, not void lords.
    That, and voidwalkers, but still, Void Lords and Voidlords are close enough that they could've used a more distinguishable name.

"The Void Lords" are a new threat, introduced in Chronicle Vol. 1

They are not the same as Voidlords. Which are just stronger versions of the Voidwalkers, which are themselves just Void Elementals.

The Void Lords are potentially the most powerful entities in the Warcraft Universe right now, more powerful than Sargeras and the Burning Legion.

They exist outside of our Universe, and can't manifest themselves in the Physical Universe so they fucking hate us just because we exist and they can't. Basically, they are the Outer Gods of the Warcraft Universe.

They want to fuck up the entire Universe beyond recognition, so to accomplish this they created the Old Gods and blindly launched them into space, with the hopes that at least one of them will land on a Titan world-soul, and corrupt it, so that it gives birth to a Dark Titan.

If a Dark Titan is born, it's game over for us. We can't stop it. Sargeras at full power can't stop it. The Pantheon is too busy being dead to stop it. The Universe is fucked.

Sargeras in his battle against the Demons encountered a nascent Titan world-soul that was deeply corrupted by Old Gods, and at risk of becoming a Dark Titan. So he cleaved it in half, killing the Old God parasites along with the baby Titan soul.

The Pantheon was pissed off at Sargeras over this because they just didn't understand how awful the coming of a Dark Titan would be. Sargeras concluded that the only way the Universe would ever be safe from the Void Lords, would be if it were destroyed.

The Pantheon obviously disagreed, they had a war, but Sargeras won. But Sargeras found out about Azeroth, another nascent baby Titan world-soul, and just like the first world-soul, he would rather us be dead than risk a Dark Titan birth.

But if Azeroth survives the Old God's corruptive influence (and we're doing a pretty damn good job at it so far) and we prevent Sargeras from blowing us up, then Azeroth will have a chance to put an end to the Void Lords once and for all.

- - - Updated - - -

That, and voidwalkers, but still, Void Lords and Voidlords are close enough that they could've used a more distinguishable name.
    Yeah, honestly they could have pulled from Lovecraft a little and called them something like "The Blackness from the Stars" which is Lovecraftian as FUCK.

The Blackness, so aptly named, is literally just a sentient blob of darkness. Or The Darkness, which might or might not even be an entity. But it gave birth to Shub-Niggurath somehow so... that's kind of parallel to Void Lords spawning the Old Gods.
    Last edited by shoc; 2016-04-16 at 11:04 AM.

When I first heard about void lords in Chronicles it somehow made sense to me that they are more powerful than old gods.

My theory was as follows: The void lords were hiding from those who were their enemies so they made the titans believe the old gods were the ultimate evil - the void lords in turn could continue their schemes while everyone thought they were just some underdogs while in reality being even more powerful than the old gods. I thought it fit very well with the chaotic nature of these dark powers where everything is about deception.

It's kinda like in the movie devil"s advocate: Al Pacino tries to hide the fact that he is the ultimate evil from Keanu Reeves until it is already too late for Reeves.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    The didy a huge retcon, the void lords are the ultimate evil in the WoW universe, until the next retcon, that is
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Quote Originally Posted by GameGod888 View Post
    When I first heard about void lords in Chronicles it somehow made sense to me that they are more powerful than old gods.

My theory was as follows: The void lords were hiding from those who were their enemies so they made the titans believe the old gods were the ultimate evil - the void lords in turn could continue their schemes while everyone thought they were just some underdogs while in reality being even more powerful than the old gods. I thought it fit very well with the chaotic nature of these dark powers where everything is about deception.

It's kinda like in the movie devil"s advocate: Al Pacino tries to hide the fact that he is the ultimate evil from Keanu Reeves until it is already too late for Reeves.
    I'm not sure if you're saying "was" because you've realised that's probably not the case, but...

(Spoilers for Chronicle)

The Titans weren't even aware of the Old Gods for a fairly long time, and they weren't aware of the Void Lords for even longer. Most of the Pantheon didn't even believe Sargeras when he told them what he'd learned about. By the time they agreed the Void Lords were real they already knew the Old Gods were just puppets. The Old Gods were part of the Void Lord's schemes, rather than being a misdirection; the Void Lords can't actually enter the universe under normal circumstances.

By the time they agreed the Void Lords were real they already knew the Old Gods were just puppets. The Old Gods were part of the Void Lord's schemes, rather than being a misdirection.
    Could you tell me on which page it is stated that the titans knew the void lords are more powerful than old gods? Even better if you could cite the exact sentence or paragraph which contains this information - I'm really interested in this particular part of the lore

Could you tell me on which page it is stated that the titans knew the void lords are more powerful than old gods? Even better if you could cite the exact sentence or paragraph which contains this information - I'm really interested in this particular part of the lore
    Sargeras learns of the Void Lords through the Nathrezim, who were studying Old Gods on that infested world-soul. He relays that information back to the Pantheon when he explains why he killed the world-soul. Chronicle page 24.

When Azeroth was just another world (albeit a little special) of hundreds or thousands and he was conquering a few at a time his invasion plans sorta made sense. But now Azeroth is THE most important planet and he's presumably known this for a while he really seems to be half-assing his attempts to destroy it.

Deleted
    It's not retcon. It's another layer of higher power. You didn't know about it != retcon.

Voidlord =/= Void Lord.

7+ Year Old Account
    for the 1000th time.
    there is a difference between Voidwalkers/Void lords (Voidlords) and Void Lords.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    It's not retcon. It's another layer of higher power. You didn't know about it != retcon.
    Sargeras went insane and thought chaos was the natural order and wanted to return the universe to it, undoing the order of the Titans.
    Now he's fighting against Void Lords to save the universe from them.

I'm not quite sure if there's an exact quote, but there's a lot of inference. For example;

1) The Pantheon felt Azeroth could be strong enough to fight the Void Lords without needing Sargeras's "wipe out all life" plan
    2) Aman'thul literally picked Y'shaarj right off the surface of Azeroth and killed him with a single hand
    3) Sargeras split a corrupted planet in half to prevent a Dark Titan from waking

The Old Gods can't stand against a Titan, but they know Sargeras, their strongest, greatest champion, felt fear at the idea of the Void Lords, and believed the only way to prevent them achieving their goals was to annihilate all life in the universe. Whether the Pantheon KNEW or not, I'm afraid I can't say at the moment, but they certainly believed the Void Lords were immensely more powerful than they were, and the Old Gods were practically nothing to them, apart from how damaging they were to planets and world souls.

Quote Originally Posted by swaggers View Post
    Sargeras went insane and thought chaos was the natural order and wanted to return the universe to it, undoing the order of the Titans.
    Now he's fighting against Void Lords to save the universe from them.
    Not exactly, his idea of 'saving' the Universe is to destroy it. Nothing left to corrupt is better than corrupted in his eyes. He's confident that life will someday take hold again in the Great Dark, hopefully free from the flaw that is chaos, but what if he's wrong? What if there is no second Big Bang event?