Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Is Gold necessary?

Quick back story....

Former HC raider between T10-T16 but was forced to pretty much quit before WoD due to work schedule becoming so brutal. Left about 200k total on my chars when I left which was just earned from various sell runs here and there during Firelands, which seemed "enough" back then...

Considering playing again in Legion now work has calmed down but it seems everyone who played WoD is now swimming in millions of Gold. Is it worth spending some free evening time to invest in Garrisons and earn Gold before Legion? Everything seems to cost more on the AH and I feel like I've feel out of touch with the economy.

How long does it take, and what kind of methods are best to turn your Garrison into a Gold factory?

Thanks in advance

m8 I have about 30k to my name so you are doing good. People swimming in millions are the minority as usual.

gold is so useless unless you're a vanity item hoarder, I have about 150k atm and nothing to spend it on.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinball2k View Post
    How long does it take, and what kind of methods are best to turn your Garrison into a Gold factory?

Thanks in advance
    Treasure hunter followers. Takes a LONG time to get it up and running. Should still be time before Legion pre-patch, but trust me, it is NOT something you absolutely have to do. I'm sitting at around 100k and have nothing I want to spend it on. I don't use BMAH, I don't buy BOEs or transmog or super expensive mounts and pets etc. I still feel a lot richer than I have in previous expansions, even considering inflation.

Gold has never been "mandatory" in WoW, as long as you had a bare minimum to pay for repairs etc. Everything else is just convenience. You can farm your own flasks and food, or you can buy it off the auction house. Same for all crafting professions etc.

Personally I like finally having a bit of spare gold so I could buy some of the expensive (not yak expensive mind you) mounts I've wanted for years. And having a bit of gold at the start of an xpac allows me to be a bit more flexible about what I do myself profession and grinding wise and what I use gold on to compensate.

Deleted
    Just checked and I actually have around 160k ish spread across chars but noticed gear on AH is much more costly than it used to be. In fairness, when I raided HC I never bought much gear because obv I got it from raids, and if I was to ever play casual I wouldn't care, but was just wondering if I was going to get left behind so to speak.

My gold used to sit around the same amount for months on end without a reason to buy it but I knew that was enough.

Gold is always necessary.

Deleted
    I wouldn't bothr with it. Inflation happened because, for a time, garrison missions brought absolutely ridiculous amounts of gold. Nowadays, the garrison was nerfed (twice, I think) and markets are in a lull, because of end of xpack silent period, so it's not like you're going to suddenly amass a fortune (that's not to say there are no ways to make good cash, epic gems and crafts/upgrades for example are still worth it imo). It's just going to take you much more effort. Not worth it imo, 200k is well enough for Legion unless you're suddenly planning to buy BoEs on progession (which is a waste anyway).

10+ Year Old Account
    probably too late now to make your garrison into a gold farm since were quite close to legion
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    probably too late now to make your garrison into a gold farm since were quite close to legion
    It doesn't take months to do it. Legion isn't gonna come out in june or july.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinball2k View Post
    Former HC raider between T10-T16 but was forced to pretty much quit before WoD due to work schedule becoming so brutal. Left about 200k total on my chars when I left which was just earned from various sell runs here and there during Firelands, which seemed "enough" back then...
    Depends on if you are a spender and collector. I have about 50k on my chars and that is more than enough but I do not use the AH excepts for mats when they are affordable.

I do not horde gold nor seek ways to earn more and I have more than enough for general usage, which is actually very little.

Deleted
    It's nice to have a buffer of gold if you plan to be in a guild that requires you to max out your gear before raiding starts. Though any guild that takes it truly seriously will help you out with the finances.

Other then that the reason people have millions of gold is because there just isn't that much to spend it on.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Many guides here and on other sites. Necessity of gold depends on your own needs....

To get the gold flowing from Garrison takes some months to set up really, you need treasure hunting on your followers. When you got it up and running you will cash in about 1k gold every day on each character, so it adds up rather fast, even after the nerf.

Is it worth to do it now though? Well, it cost some gold to get up and running, but you will have some months to cash in on. You won't be swimming in millions though.

As an example, on my DK I have earned about 200k during HFC from my missions. (not logged in every day, but close to)

As a total on my 3 active characters I've earned about 700-800k I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Deleted
    You just need like 7k Gold per Character for enchants (incase you dont have enchanting).

Quote Originally Posted by Gnosk View Post
    m8 I have about 30k to my name so you are doing good. People swimming in millions are the minority as usual.
    I wish I was one of the minority.

I got along perfectly fine in this game until wod with very little gold. But now with tokens I have to make gold to pay for the game, im not spending a dime till legion. So I been on tokens since they came out, wow imagine all that gold I would have now...

Gold is fairly optional aside from what the game itself demands (repair bills, mount fees, etc), and just the act of playing seems to net plenty of funds. I've never thought to myself "hey, I really need to generate a ton of gold in this game". But to each their own.

Deleted
    Thank you for all the constructive feedback.

Decided I'll probably just continue to weekly farm the older HC raids for a few K here and there but sack off the heavy Garrison investments. Already got a few garrisons on alts with level 3 taverns from months back which I will probably just log on here and their and do the Gold missions when I can for free cash. I'll try and grow to 200-300k circa and just keep for essentials as I always have then.

Appreciated.

I remember in Wrath in Cata i would only get gold from doing my dailies every day which was enough for raid repair and enchants, so my gold mostly hovered around 5000g

Deleted
    why not sell some tokesn you can make 200k with 40$ if you work so much it won t be that much for you