10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom4u2 View Post
    I find myself in that category. I don't play on private servers, not because I don't want to, but because I don't want to pour blood and sweat in something that can stop existing at any point.
    You... you seriously think that official servers will last forever?
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Your Imouto View Post
    All he's done is said he has Mike Morhaime's number and would deliver the petition to him personally when it gets 200k signatures. What does his past gaming history have to do with any of that?
    Everything, basically. When the guy who is basically the 'embodiment of bad ideas' thinks vanilla servers is a good one... it means that idea really isn't as good as people think it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Forever is a big word. But I'm sure you can deduce that I meant "for a reasonable amount of time".
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by Your Imouto View Post
    All he's done is said he has Mike Morhaime's number and would deliver the petition to him personally when it gets 200k signatures. What does his past gaming history have to do with any of that?
    Oooh, he has Morhaime's number. They must be BFFs!

if you really think Morhaime will do more than hand the stack of printouts to his admin to throw out on his way to the can, you're delusional. If it even reaches his desk.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    You know the old saying? "Any port in a storm"?
    Yeah, might be the case. But dude is delusional af, might explain his popularity among pro-Vanilla community now. Birds of a feather flock together.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Everything, basically. When the guy who is basically the 'embodiment of bad ideas' thinks vanilla servers is a good one... it means that idea really isn't as good as people think it is.
    He may have been the worst CEO of a game company ever. After that though, he was a lot of good credits on his resume. Doesn't make him wrong. The fact that he isn't in the gaming industry, but has a lot of experience there, does give him an ability to speak about some things.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    "Any point" is the operative phrase.

I don't think we have to fear that one day we'll wake up and Blizzard just decided to remove their servers with no warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    *sigh* Crush all my dreams why don't you.
    Crush. Bus. Illegal servers.

*idea*

"In today's new, a group of overweight young men were crushed to death when a planned event in support of something known as "illegal servers" for gaming were crushed to death in a bus heavily modified for marketing events. The seats, controlled by hydraulics to expand for more space, mysteriously malfunctioned and crushed all of the portly young men in a bizarre accident, according to first responders on the scene. We have a reporter on scene, live..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom4u2 View Post
    Forever is a big word. But I'm sure you can deduce that I meant "for a reasonable amount of time".
    How long is "reasonable" then? Many people who started playing WoW with me haven't thought that it will be a more than 10 years long trip, so they jumped off at the end of wotlk, and many of them played through wotlk only because they wanted to see arthas arc end. I would say that WoW "ends" every time new expansion is released.
    And, after all, this "progress" we are talking about is just pixels and arbitrary points, the most important thing to take from WoW experience are stories, fun and friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Marakesh View Post
    He may have been the worst CEO of a game company ever. After that though, he was a lot of good credits on his resume. Doesn't make him wrong. The fact that he isn't in the gaming industry, but has a lot of experience there, does give him an ability to speak about some things.
    It doesn't make him wrong at all - he's entitled to an opinion, like anyone else. I just think the amount of power people think he has in this issue is hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Its just a whole lot of fucking walking around
    "A lot of fucking walking around" is more fun and adventurous than "sit in a major city and queue for dungeons all day".

You actually get to explore the WORLD of Warcraft, instead of sitting in a city and being instantly teleported to 15-minute dungeon runs.

And with the low exp rates, you actually had to do all of the quests in a zone, whereas today, you do half the quests in a zone and you already outlevel it and move on to the next zone. It's pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    in really bad graphics :P
    Playing WoW for the graphics is like playing Diablo for the story. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Marakesh View Post
    He has a lot of good credits on his resume? Really? Does he?

So what were his achievements once he was done with WoW?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sunxsera View Post
    1. Don `t know if they get a job otherwise ... ask them.
    2. Of course they don `t know how the internal network works. No one joining Blizzard does that. That`s what further training is for.
    3. There is a demand for vanilla servers. If they ever plan on opening some, a good economic opportunity for them would be to hire the nostalrius team.
    The Nost team knows nothing about Blizzards Network so what is the reason to hire them?

Deleted
    I made a thread about hardcore wow realms for retail, which imo is an easier and more likely to be implemented alternative to legacy realms: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...tem-Suggestion

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haselden View Post
    Apparently Former big shot dev will help out fixing this.
    Since when is this youtube fake soddapopper a former blizz dev?

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    Don't hold your breath. They won't comment on an upcoming lawsuit, and unless they're talking doing legacy servers (highly unlikely, especially as they're up to their eyebrows building Legion), they have no reason to comment.

1000 pages of fighting, bickering, unicorn day dreams and blatant misunderstandings of copyright law is not something Mike Morhaime will look and and realize, maybe they were wrong. This thread has no real world impact, other than as a place to have fun arguing about it.
    Half this thread is a half dozen guys spamming boasts like this. I must have missed the post when you proved everyone else wrong conclusively. I have seen statements like copyright law is black and white. I've seen lots of stuff about how it costs 50 million dollars to put vanilla wow back up on bnet. Seems odd that a whole new game, including the server side, can be made for less than that, but hey, you guys are much more logical about this.

Meanwhile, in the world outside Blizzardland, dozens of media outlets have weighed in differently. From Jontron's rant to Athene talking about the problem starting with a disconnect at Blizzard with the community, a game design professionals website friendly? - http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2...gal_action.php and my personal favorite - http://motherboard.vice.com/read/wor...rver-shut-down . Your measured, well thought out response to each of these? They're in it for the attention. Given how crowded this field is getting, good luck standing out in it.

Also, never heard there's an upcoming lawsuit. Where did you get that info? This a car wreck for Blizz, not the train wreck of Real ID, or the Hindenburg if they had gone through with that, but a mess they didn't need. Pursuing the matter further would be like taking the corporate jet on a kamikaze mission.

Deleted
    Blizzard wont make a vanilla server:
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Because Blizzard could just slap a switch and start a Vanilla server right?
    - change every game (OV, HotS, D3, ....) to be able to show if your friend is play wow retail or legacy
    - rewrite vanilla client to link it to bnet
    - rewritte vanilla client for 64bit
    - rewrite the client because of file format change
    and that is only the start...
    Yes, YOU now gonna say they DONT have to this BUT they would.....

- rewritte vanilla client for 64bit
    I hadn't even considered that at this point in time Blizzard would probably be looking down the barrel of having to make a 64bit client for vanilla if they were even thinking about launching legacy servers. But I'm not a programmer nor do I play one on TV, so I can't really judge the difficulty or cost of doing that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    "Embodiment of bad ideas" meaning what? Firefall was a great game up until several months ago when they went HAM with P2W shit

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Blizzard wont make a vanilla server:

1) 1 is completely unnecesarry
    2) So?
    3) Yes
    4) Yes

But that's what programmers do right? They rewrite stuff, and write stuff.

I honestly doubt that they need to do stuff like that though.

Just reuse the old graphics and remodel the oldzones + use the old scripts. You can plant vanilla content on current WoW, not bring back vanilla WoW and make it work with todays hardware.
    Last edited by mmoc7f3035b6ae; 2016-04-17 at 06:29 PM.