Thread: Animal Facts

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Huh, I thought it was octopodes, since octopus has a Greek root.
    Always thought it was octopi.

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    Not only that but females only have one working ovary. Take that intelligent design!!!
    The intelligent design explanation of the platypus is
    A) There were parts left over
    B) The Creator has a sense of humor

My animal fact to contribute... foxes are able to hear mice under multiple feet of snow. They leap into the air and dive head first into the snow to catch it. If they are facing north, they've been found to have a higher probability of hitting the mark and catching dinner than they do when they face other directions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    There's a parasitic fungus that is essential to the ecosystem as it only spreads and develops when insects hit a population target.

It does this:

I love it, mainly cause that was the inspiration of one of my favorite games:

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The first is a myth. Otherwise duck calls wouldn't work...
    Their own, not the others ducks

I think that's what he meant

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    Enchiladas do not actually have spikes on their hands.
    I actually though the spikes were part of his guantles!!

10+ Year Old Account
    a male pig's orgasm lasts about 6 minutes and they can multi-orgasm for up to 26 minutes total.

FFS..... I wanna be a pig.

-----------

the intellectual capacity of a dog is equal to a human of the age of 2.5 - 3.5 yrs (depending on the dog breed).
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2016-04-20 at 05:31 PM.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

15+ Year Old Account
    It's not really an animal, but in rats, infection of Toxoplasma gondii causes them to be attracted to cat urine. This increases the chance of the parasite to infect its real host: the cat.

That same parasite can also infect humans and infection with it has been shown to induce reckless behaviour in some humans too.
    Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)

America's marsupial. Can't get plague or rabies.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    First: There are some armadillos that only give birth to identical quadruplets.

Second: Octopi.

"Which part?"

All of it. Everything about the octopus is fascinating.

15+ Year Old Account
    Female squirrel monkeys have a pseudo-penis that they use to display dominance over smaller monkeys, in much the same way that the male squirrel monkeys display their dominance.
    Squirrel monkey aka Death Head Monkey penis fencing
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bats are not supposed to be sexy.... Sega wtf is wrong with your game designers.

Goats can be terrifying.

There was this invertebrate sea creature. Can't remember its name, but it is immortal... as in it gets badly hurt or too old and it can cause its cells to "reverse". It returns into the form as, if it was just born and then starts growing again. :I

I think this is actually true, but since I can't remember its name I can't go verify this, but I have heard of this from more than one source.

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    There was this invertebrate sea creature. Can't remember its name, but it is immortal... as in it gets badly hurt or too old and it can cause its cells to "reverse". It returns into the form as, if it was just born and then starts growing again. :I

I think this is actually true, but since I can't remember its name I can't go verify this, but I have heard of this from more than one source.
    Found it, Turritopsis dohrnii

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post

Turritopsis dohrnii- The Immortal Jellyfish.

Just slightly too slow.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Humans think that they are the pinnacle of evolution
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    The reason roaches (and other insects that don't like light) sometimes run at you when you want to squish them is they're trying to run into the shadows cast by your foot/body

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/38/3815/RSQIF00Z/posters/gary-randall-opossum-showing-its-teeth-didelphis-marsupialis-usa.jpg[/IMG]

America's marsupial. Can't get plague or rabies.

[IMG]http://www.nwf.org/~/media/Content/NWM/Animals/Mammals/opossum-mom-babies-Stan-Tekiela-570x375.ashx
    see that thing mom's doing with her mouth there? that's a threat sign, she's trying to keep the cameraman away.

but like, they can catch rabies, it's just very unlikely due to their low body temp.

Male felines have tiny spikes on their penises that are made of keratine. During mating the spikes scrape the "walls" of the female to increase ovulation.

I have no idea why, but i always found that interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Humans think that they are the pinnacle of evolution
    meh, that's more of a western ideology than a universal one.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

7+ Year Old Account
    Shrikes are known for their habit of catching insects and small vertebrates and impaling their bodies on thorns, the spikes on barbed-wire fences or any available sharp point. This helps them to tear the flesh into smaller, more conveniently-sized fragments, and serves as a cache so that the shrike can return to the uneaten portions at a later time.

Bottlenose dolphins have been known to use tools to find food, and are the only other mammal to interact with one another based on the way they use tools. Sponges, in this case. They're essentially forming cliques.

https://www.georgetown.edu/news/dolp...anet-mann.html