Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I would rather demolish my home first.

Sure give me one of the hot women and she can stay for free and do housekeeping? Then again i grew kinda found of the little latino we hire right now, shes just a nice grandmother, i rather not fire her actually.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2016-04-21 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    http://www.refugees-welcome.net/

I think this is an absolutely fantastic idea. I'd like to think that if we're ever put into the fucking unimaginably horrible position that the Syrians are in presently, that we'd be treated with a similar level of humanity.
    Obviously it's going to be impossible to provide every single refugee with this type of solution, but if everyone with a spare room was willing to make it available to causes such as these, it'd be bloody lovely.
    Well.. if they clean my house, do the garden, cook and iron my papers, they can have the spare room. If they look presentable in a suit. Otherwise, nah. Their only purpose is to live, they don't need to be happy. As soon as Syria is peaceful again, they can go back home to find happiness.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

I though renting rooms out to strangers was already a norm. Why are people freaking out?

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    What was the average age for women to begin menstruating around the time the Quran was written?
    I guess if the Quran says it, we should probably take it for word, just like we do with all the fucked up shit in th Bible too, right?
    Well, the bible, unlike the Quran is acknowledged as "just a book," but many Christians, especially those who aren't Sola Scriptura. The Quran practically demands Sola Scriptura as if you believe its founding lore, it was directly recited by God to Muhammad giving the Quran a theoretical divine stamp of approval. The Bible was merely put together by a council of humans, mortal humans and no angels came down to say "Good job, this is the book!"

Hobbes, I get that you want to status signal what a good noble righteous caring super double plus good gentle soul you are, but at this point your practically a caricature and not even a real person.
    Last edited by Theodarzna; 2016-04-21 at 02:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    My home is my personal sanctuary, where I withdraw to isolate myself from the annoying world. Inviting someone in who I have absolutely no established trust with would be completely foreign to me. Even without factoring in them being from a completely different civilization.

What was the average age for women to begin menstruating around the time the Quran was written?
    I guess if the Quran says it, we should probably take it for word, just like we do with all the fucked up shit in th Bible too, right?
    While this thread is massive bait, lets do this one for fun:

The holy bible is written by men and tells tales of extraordinary events between heaven and earth, but is comprised of all kinds of metaphors, anecdotes and contradictions. These contradictions and the varying degrees of vagueness are acknowledged by the major christian churches. While the church has often claimed the supreme right to interpret these words, it has also acknowledged the contradictions, that the authors were failable and that interpretation of the words can change through time and translation. The church tries (appart from internal power struggles and ideology politics) to maintain the interpretation true to the core tenants of the book.
    While different interpretations have their history of bloody conflict, they are neither forbidden nor seen as a problem, especially not today.

The Quran on the other hand? It is the unchangeable eternal word of god, dicatated word for word by the archangel to Mohammend the one and only Prophet of god. Or so they believe at least. It is meant literally. It is meant as a nothing less than a unifying codex to human behaviour, down to every last detail (that a 7th century fellow could imagine). The only language it is meant to be in is the arabic language of its time.
    Interpretation is actively discouraged and punishable, therefore anyone not taking the most literaly meaning is an apostate and guess what the verdict is for that.
    The vast majority of the Quran does not deal with the believers relationship with god, but how the believer should conduct himself in his daily life and around others. The largest part of that deals with how the believer should deal with the unbelievers.
    There are contraditions, some parts demand honesty and benelovence, some outright hostility and subterfuge. The important part is that the believer who choses the later, rather than the former, has what is unanimously seens as the unchangeable word of god on his side, justifying his behaviour. Even if there are parts that contradict him.

So, just out of curiousity, have you actually read both? Because any time someone brings this up I have a really hard time believing he or she actually bothered to.

Hell no, I don't even want relatives to stay for extended periods of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    My home is my personal sanctuary, where I withdraw to isolate myself from the annoying world. Inviting someone in who I have absolutely no established trust with would be completely foreign to me. Even without factoring in them being from a completely different civilization.
    This is how I am as well, and I can't reconcile any other way. You don't let random people in your home. Anyone you let in has earned their place in your home, and are subject to an ever watchful appraisal to keep it.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Upstairs is a syrian refugee family. I am from Canakkale , Turkey. When they first came, i was disgusted flat out disgusted just by looking at the way they llook. woman in full cover black clothes. Man with a long beard. Gahh... I don't know if her husband is allowing it but woman is wearing normal clothes now, jeans, trousers etc. Or maybe it is just secretly when her husband is not at home. I don't know. I am ok with them now. Just the appearance made me ughhhh at first.

There is a cafe which I visit frequently as it is open till 3am. They now have 4 syrian guys working there. At first I was like wtf again as they couldn't speak turkish when I tried to order but he apologized in english and explained me and said a few words in turkish. That was nice. I mean they try to work and live.

Now the city I love is on the western coast of turkey. almost zero crime. but I see more and more dark skinned,covered woman and bearded man. the sight is not very nice and when i am sitting at a seaside cafe drinking my beer, sometimes they look at us and I feel a little uncomfortable.

If I had to take in a refugee, I would take in a woman. Not because of those reasons but because since they are usually oppressed, they are more open to ideas and freedom. whereas the man usually is so strict in his views,rules etc and cant be argued or talked to. But then again there are always people like those guys working at the cafe who just want to work and live quietly, happily. Question is how you can be sure he is ok person.

Not something I would do without a real conversation with them for a month or two. ANd i totally understand you people going so against it.

Why would anyone do this?
    Ask for trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Why would anyone do this?
    Ask for trouble?
    Toooo rent out a room?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeverin View Post
    I guess you're not familiar with the Couchsurfing community...
    The various couch surfing organizations have a vetting process, and some are fairly extensive. At minimum, there's a reference checking system. Others perform fairly comprehensive background checks.

We only accept, or stay at the homes of, fellow cyclists. Most we've either met, or at least communicated with for years, discussing our tours, bikes, gearing, debating the merits of carbon fiber/steel/aluminum/titanium, etc. We have a lot of common ground, virtually a shared culture. Showing up on a fully loaded bike is required and if they're not speaking our lingo and demonstrating their knowledge of our shared interests, we'll know something's off in the first 5 minutes, and take a pass.

People who couch surf do take precautions, none of which are possible for refugees. No way to check references/background, and no adequate way to safely vet them, not with the prevalence of forged/lost passports. Worse of all, without a shared culture or common interests, there's no way of determining whether or not they're telling you the truth, about anything.

For example, if someone tells you they play World of Warcraft, but can't answer the most basic questions about the game accurately, you know they're lying, right? But if you've never played the game, they could fabricate just about anything, and you'd never know the difference.

Jumping out of planes is risky too, but if you carry a backup and examine both chutes thoroughly before each and every jump, chances of survival are pretty good. If you can't take those precautions to mitigate the danger, don't jump!

Deleted
    I'd give everyone an equal opportunity. As I've repeatedly stated, the person's place of birth or circumstances would have absolutely no negative bearing on my decision on whether to give them a room or not. It's entirely irrelevant. My decision would be based on the individual, not their nationality.
    And that brings us back to my previous point that you dismissed with some link to Syrian architecture and culture. You want to invite Afghan and African males in to you r home go right ahead. Their background, culture and upbringing should be of utmost relevance as i showed you in my previous post. They may have traumas and experiences that make them very dangerous men and cultural norms that would shock horrify you.
    Reminds me of the gay Swedish couple who invited a gay Afghan boy to stay in their house. They lasted two weeks before they had enough.

You are a dangerously naive individual. Just hope you don't endanger your future families life with your insanity.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    I though renting rooms out to strangers was already a norm. Why are people freaking out?
    Many of these people lack a proper upbringing and education. They've made a living growing opium or selling heroin in Afghanistan or have been child solders, goons for local warlords, criminals and what not. Many of them won't even know how to use basic amenities and conveniences. They won't know about fire safety, hygiene and proper behavior. Trash may be thrown out of the window instead of the in the garbage bin they may defecate and urinate on your lawn and see no wrong in it.
    Many has grown up in countries where they have been sexually abused as "dance boys" and have themselves taken on boys of their own to sexually molest. Many of them will be barely cognizant of what constitutes rape and will probably have raped women and men without even thinking about it as rape. I've seen enough pregnant 12 year old girls in Africa to have an idea of what is considered the norm over there. Your precious little daughter might seem like a ripe little plum ready to be picked, already a woman in their eyes.

- - - Updated - - -

At the end of the day, you're welcome to believe what you want about refugees. It has zero effect on my own life.
    I just hope that if your country ever becomes rocked by civil war, and you are forced to flee with your family to another part of the world in order to protect the lives of your loved ones, you are the first to be turned away.
    Not even one fifth of the refugees that come to Sweden are actually from Syria. They are welfare tourists.
    And no, i wouldn't leave Sweden in face of civil war. I would be in the fight to the bitter end. You see i actually give a shit about my country.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by broods View Post
    Not even one fifth of the refugees that come to Sweden are actually from Syria. They are welfare tourists.
    And no, i wouldn't leave Sweden in face of civil war. I would be in the fight to the bitter end. You see i actually give a shit about my country.
    If they're 'welfare tourists' then they aren't refugees. So they can't constitute one fifth. This thread is discussing refugees (and letting out your room in general, I guess). It's not about so-called 'welfare tourism'.

Many of these people lack a proper upbringing and education. They've made a living growing opium or selling heroin in Afghanistan or have been child solders, goons for local warlords, criminals and what not. Many of them won't even know how to use basic amenities and conveniences. They won't know about fire safety, hygiene and proper behavior. Trash may be thrown out of the window instead of the in the garbage bin they may defecate and urinate on your lawn and see no wrong in it.
    Many has grown up in countries where they have been sexually abused as "dance boys" and have themselves taken on boys of their own to sexually molest. Many of them will be barely cognizant of what constitutes rape and will probably have raped women and men without even thinking about it as rape. I've seen enough pregnant 12 year old girls in Africa to have an idea of what is considered the norm over there. Your precious little daughter might seem like a ripe little plum ready to be picked, already a woman in their eyes.
    They could be from native African tribes for all that matters. Those that are looking to rent a room for refugees have every opportunity to meet and know the person before any agreements are made. It's entirely optional and the whole point of the site is to simply make the option possible.

I'm almost certain most people commenting on this thread have only read the thread title or the site's homepage before posting. They also seem to have this notion like someone is going to forcibly put refugees in their home.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigr...ns_born_abroad

81,300 applied for asylum in 2014, which was an increase of 50% compared to 2013, and the most since 1992. 47% of them come from Syria, followed by 21% from the horn of Africa (mostly Eritrea and Somalia).
    All three are plagued by war.

Deleted
    It's quite disturbing to see just how easily people can be controlled by the media and told what to think. I wonder how much your opinion on these refugees if you were to visit one of the camps in Calais.
    Hur hur, people don't agree with me
    People brainwashed by media, people must be dumb hur hur.

Look buddy, people who don't share you fantasy for a all loving world are not believing the media, are not brainwashed and are not stupid.
    Those people saw/see that multiculturism failed and will always fail.

And OT:

No way i'll ever take them into my own house.
    I don't even want them in my neighborhood.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    They could be from native African tribes for all that matters. Those that are looking to rent a room for refugees have every opportunity to meet and know the person before any agreements are made. It's entirely optional and the whole point of the site is to simply make the option possible.
    I'm sure they all seem nice and personable at a glance. I just hope people are aware of what kind of backgrounds many of these people have. The kind of psychological traumas they may have experienced and the kind of social norms they may have.

My father worked in Liberia (yes that Liberia) in the diamond mining industry way back and I've spent considerable time there as a child/young adult. I've seen things that would shock you liberal social justice warriors to your cores. Life is cheap on the dark continent and the age of consent is when the wooden dildo has expanded their vaginas enough that they can work the brothels.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    That's 2014 numbers, 2 years ago. Last year it was 162k who came. 51k of those were syrians, which is about 30%.

http://www.migrationsverket.se/downl...eived+2015.pdf

7k from eritrea, 5k from somalia and 51k from syria. They're not the majority of refugees. We're getting "refugees" from fucking USA even. Is USA at war?
    Last edited by mmocfb6c003936; 2016-04-21 at 07:40 AM.