Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Yeah the same kinds I made in Vanilla but it did not happen with every person I grouped with. Sometimes a group is just a quick group and you are out. You don't have a deep connection with everyone you group with. Holy hell.
    That's exactly the difference I feel. Current WoW every group is a quick group. I don't even remember the last time I saw someone memorable or added to friends list in retail wow, but just doing AV for a day or 2 in Nost and I remembered quite a few characters already.
    Yeah not every single person you see will become a friend, I thought that's a given.

Quote Originally Posted by mokapse View Post
    That's exactly the difference I feel. Current WoW every group is a quick group. I don't even remember the last time I saw someone memorable or added to friends list in retail wow, but just doing AV for a day or 2 in Nost and I remembered quite a few characters already.
    Yeah not every single person you see will become a friend, I thought that's a given.
    I met some awesome players i added on friendlist while doing Gold CM in MoP and WoD. Anecdotal example are not evidence.

And the community on a PS is more compact, just like a little town where retail is more a megapole. Legacy Realm won't bring back the vanilla's community
    Last edited by Erwarth; 2016-04-21 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    I was also playing during vanilla and community was the same if not better...I dont understand why you think it was otherwise... I still play other MMOs with many of the friends I made in vanilla.. so what friends you made lately with the LFG tool and how many you know on your server?
    I agree the community was better during Vanilla ~10 years ago but it still wasn't a magical land of cookies and gumdrops. Sometimes you just made a group, said hey to the people and finished the quests and disbanded. They are making it seem like every group was an epic adventure that made long time friends and allies. They are painting quite the picture with that broad magical paintbrush.

I know that half the playerbase who quit WoD is significant. At the end I dont understand... if the group of players who will move legacy servers are a Significant part of the playerbase then why not let it be? They will chose what they like more to play? Is that really bad? Should they not have the option just because you dont like it? If the group is so significant, blizzard can merge more servers if needed and/or open free transfers...
    I like how you throw in all the players who left in WoD, like they're all Vanilla fans. WoD removed tier from LFR as well, maybe all those 5 million players are casuals who left because of THAT, huh? So they'd like Vanilla even less.

The problem is implementing legacy servers implies a lot of costs. They have to be able to cover those costs, on their own, or they won't be implemented. This includes long term and indirect costs as well. You act like it's nothing, and if there's a problem, whatever, Blizzard should fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Erwarth View Post
    If it really works that way then it can be good. But it don't. Peoples are more complex than that. There isn't only two teams. I personnaly prefer the solutions where a team like the Nost one is licensed to run a Vanilla sub-based realm. The only thing bothering me about an official Legacy Realm run by Blizzard is the dev team being split between retail and legacy. All the points about bringing up the old code, adapt it to the new hardware / architecture / new battle.net are valid and I don't want them to delay content on Legion to do that. Content drought is already bad, don't make it worse.
    yea that would be best... to hire nost team to run it. This is what Sony did with project 1999.. but even if they decide to run it themeselves, I bet they can always hire some developers for the initiate work only. It is not rare case to just hire some devs for a single project until it gets done. They dont need to use the existing developers.

Besides, Blizzard always move developers from one project to another without us even know it. Who knows if all developers work for wow, and they didnt moved some to work for some other projects, or even to help in their other games?
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Deleted
    They are making it seem like every group was an epic adventure that made long time friends and allies.
    Nobody is saying that. You're just building a strawman.

Quote Originally Posted by 0x0a View Post
    Have you heard Nostralius? A vanilla server with 150k active players recently shutdown by Blizzard?
    Yea i heard, but that's a bit inaccurate. I heard they weren't able to keep up with the cost of the server anyway.

Also i prefer retail cause it's legal and i can trust the company that they will be able to stay up and keep my characters intact etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    I don't require proof. Your cluelessness about Vanilla's "Community" says all that there is to be said about the subject.

People used to say "hey", team up and kill mobs and disband? Well, no shit. Next thing you going to tell me is that there were a**holes running around too?

Now, the people here who played Vanilla know exactly what would happen to those a**holes if they went public with it.

Also, I, at first, used to look up at the shadow priest that was in first place in my server's PvP leader-boards.
    And, as a Tank, I was approached to - and in return approached healers and good DPSers - to play with.

It was a forced community. Wanted to have a good time and fit in? Get out there and meet people, for you are going to rely on them and they better rely on you too - or you are screwed.

I would explain it further... but it really is something one can only understand after going through it themselves.
    *pats you on the head* Believe whatever you need to there sunshine. I was in Vanilla and I don't care if you want to call me a liar or not at this point.

And the community on a PS is more compact, just like a little town where retail is more a megapole. Legacy Realm won't bring back the vanilla's community
    Impossible to claim.

Because a Legacy Server (since it's void of the QoL-Grouping Tools) is also a compact community, where people count more as individuals than on a system where one's individuality is lost in a pool of dozens of other Servers.

However, if they would indeed end up releasing "Legacy Servers, with extra accessibility tools!", then yes, I fear those would face the same issues as Live WoW currently faces.

I met some awesome players i added on friendlist while doing Gold CM in MoP and WoD. Anecdotal example are not evidence.

Yeah they'll also ignore people you meet via group finder to invite to your raid as a filler that end up meshing well and staying with your guild. They don't seem to understand that Blizzard would have size restrictions in place and it wouldn't be 15k people huddled in one area.

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    Lol whatever dude, doing MC for the 50th is so totally fun. So is the 1-2 ability/autoattack dps rotations and shitty boss mechanics.

I digress, but I will never believe people who say Vanilla is better than current WoW. They are either lying, have no money, bored, or just have never played current WoW.

If you claim WotLK is better, you might have an argument. But I would still side with current WoW(minus WoD).
    I just think people complain for the sake of complaining.

For years people asked to update the character models. Once they did, some complained they want the old ones.

As for Vanilla, playing the same content over and over, with nothing new will get old fast. Also a lot of people forget about the stuff that wow currently has and vanilla doesn't etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    I like how you throw in all the players who left in WoD, like they're all Vanilla fans. WoD removed tier from LFR as well, maybe all those 5 million players are casuals who left because of THAT, huh? So they'd like Vanilla even less.
    Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that. It really is endearing how hard they try and paint Nost and other PS as some magical place.

Deleted
    I agree the community was better during Vanilla ~10 years ago but it still wasn't a magical land of cookies and gumdrops. Sometimes you just made a group, said hey to the people and finished the quests and disbanded. They are making it seem like every group was an epic adventure that made long time friends and allies. They are painting quite the picture with that broad magical paintbrush.
    Yeah and? In WoD you dont even make groups and in Legion tagging will have about 5 players in list so you donesnt need groups at all not even for group Q or anything. Just faceroll your way as solo player trought entire game. Groups nowdays actualy slows you down then actualy helping you to get stuff done.

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post

The problem is implementing legacy servers implies a lot of costs. They have to be able to cover those costs, on their own, or they won't be implemented. This includes long term and indirect costs as well. You act like it's nothing, and if there's a problem, whatever, Blizzard should fix it.
    I didnt implied that they were vanilla players... I just told you that playerbase was, is and will always split, for various reasons... maybe a new MMO comes out and wanna try it, maybe they get bored, maybe they have real life issues, etc. Denying "fun options" from players, in the hope that they will continue play something they dont like, or they like less, is not a way to keep the population...cause you cant keep it that way.

If players decide they like to play on a legacy server, then so be it? It is the company job to make sure that servers have enough population.. so merging more servers will do the work.

also you imply that it cannot work the other way around? Lets say some people come back to play the legacy servers and then decide to also try the retail game too? Why do you think that the moving population will just be one way?
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndor View Post
    Yeah and? In WoD you dont even make groups and in Legion tagging will have about 5 players in list so you donesnt need groups at all not even for group Q or anything. Just faceroll your way as solo player trought entire game. Groups nowdays actualy slows you down then actualy helping you to get stuff done.
    Hey if you don't want to group that is on you. Just make sure to turn off general chat so you don't see people forming up groups through that method. Don't use group finder for anything either because you might bump into people in your 'solo player game'.

Gotta love the argumentation that official vanilla servers isn't worth it since Blizzard will do it worse than the Nostalrius team.

This might well be true.

Really sad if it is though.

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    Quick google trends says this:

so the vanilla wow search is at about 1/5th of the world of warcraft search
    Thanks. Pretty much what I expected.

snip
    Honest question for you. What would you do if Blizzard said that based on their data from exit polls and feedback that the classic realm would be WotLK. Would you be happy that classic realms happened or pissed off because it isn't Vanilla that got chosen. And I pick WotLK based on the strong numbers that expansion had and the iconic characters/story that was being presented.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndor View Post
    I think blizzard promotes the game for you to play with friends and Family. I leveled up in WoD with my GF and we had a blast. I actually enjoyed wods story/content during leveling (oh how it fell flat after we hit 100!). Legion looks more of the same but less on rails with regards to you can choose which zone to do and also we get max level zone right off the bat (finally!).

I have quite a long friends list and for sure we will be making groups via that and guild chat when the time comes. Then if all else fails we got group finder/LFD. Personally people should care more about enjoyment than how quickly you can do a given task.

I didnt implied that they were vanilla players... I just told you that playerbase was, is and will always split, for various reasons... maybe a new MMO comes out and wanna try it, maybe they get bored, maybe they have real life issues, etc. Denying "fun options" from players, in the hope that they will continue play something they dont like, or they like less, is not a way to keep the population...cause you cant keep it that way.

If players decide they like to play on a legacy server, then so be it? It is the company job to make sure that servers have enough population.. so merging more servers will do the work.

also you imply that it cannot work the other way around? Lets say some people come back to play the legacy servers and then decide to also try the retail game too? Why do you think that the moving population will just be one way?
    It's not about which way it will go, it's that they pay the same thing anyway (whether there are separate subs or no, mostly you'll either play 1 or the other every month), so there's no net gain.

And in the end, when both packs run out of content, player group X feels entitled to one kind of new expansion, player group Y to the opposite. The hardcores play Vanilla, the casuals play Legion. They both run out of stuff to do, but now they are even more segregated, because you've endorsed that through legacy server. Who will expansion 8.0 be made for? Please tell.