Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    As long as you don't park like this asshole...

I can understand pickup trucks doing it, but everyone else baffles me.

Especially when you have to correct yourself 3-4 times. Its no longer efficient.

It is more efficient to park backwards, because many accidents are caused by people whilst backing out. It allows for the bulk of time to be spent prior to arriving, and allows for a faster exit if needed. This may not mean so much to the average person, but most people with a military background can certainly relate to wanting a faster egress time. What is difficult for most people, is learning the dimensions of their car, as well as learning how to back up properly. This is solved with practice. You should know what the car behind you should "look" like when you are getting close to hitting them.

Whenever I drove my fathers vehicle, he would get ''mad'' if I did not park it backwards. Never understood why but I do it now regardless.

I usually try to park at home backwards because it's easier to drive out of the space facing forwards.

I do not usually do so at parking lots because people love their cars and I am do not trust my backwards parking ability in such cases. I usually tried to find a "pull through" space where I can still drive out nose first when I leave.

Though parking backwards has the benefit of putting the nose of your vehicle towards the exit, which helps in visibility. ESPECIALLY if you live in an area where people love them big vehicles such as Trucks and SUVs. Trying to back out of a space is a huge pain in the ass if you can't see what's coming from all directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I have a better solution. Park closer to the end of the parking lot for the exercise.
    I actually do whenever possible. Some lots, however, are set up in such a way that reversing into the spot makes your life a lot easier when you leave. It isn't a one or the other type of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    I can understand pickup trucks doing it, but everyone else baffles me.

Especially when you have to correct yourself 3-4 times. Its no longer efficient.
    Are we talking simply backing into a spot instead of pulling straight in? I'm not sure it takes 3-4 times to correct yourself if you are an experience driver.

Personally it depends on the parking area, there are some I just perfer to back in because I may have larger vechicles to the left and right and it's hard to see backing out as some ass wipes see you backing out and just keep on going expect you to see them.

On the flip side, there was on location in San Diego where the local police issued warnings and tickets and tickets for pulling through parking spots (or backing in), because statistics said people who pulled out(versus back out) had more accidents, because they were less inclined to pull out slowly and check both ways.

I have a better solution. Park closer to the end of the parking lot for the exercise.
    I use to giggle at the local gym I went to, where I would see people circle around the parking lot looking for a spot up close. Guess they didn't want to waste any energy they might need it for their super man workout.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2016-04-24 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    I actually do whenever possible. Some lots, however, are set up in such a way that reversing into the spot makes your life a lot easier when you leave. It isn't a one or the other type of thing.
    Oh yeah I don't dispute that. Some parking lots are complete garbage. But for the most part you can save yourself time, and get some extra physical activity into your day by just aiming for the vast empty expanses at the far end of the parking lot.

Last time I backed into a spot I got ticketed. Turned out the city had a law against backing in. 50 bucks.

Oh yeah I don't dispute that. Some parking lots are complete garbage. But for the most part you can save yourself time, and get some extra physical activity into your day by just aiming for the vast empty expanses at the far end of the parking lot.
    Even better, you save yourself the psychological turmoil of trying to find a super close spot, whist dealing with dummies that inevitably make your life miserable.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EliWallach View Post
    Last time I backed into a spot I got ticketed. Turned out the city had a law against backing in. 50 bucks.
    My university did the same but the ticket was only $30 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    Even better, you save yourself the psychological turmoil of trying to find a super close spot, whist dealing with dummies that inevitably make your life miserable.
    Pretty much yeah. Or if the weather is nice and I'm travelling less than 10 kilometers I'll just ride my damn bike. Park right by the doors and avoid the parking headache.

I've set up traps and snares and bear traps and tripwires and cages... just hoping to catch a parking enforcement agent. I swear they are ninjas. I can park illegally (like, closer than 30 feet to an intersection) for 2 minutes and I already have a ticket when I come back.

GRRRRRRRRR.

(kidding on the setting up traps part).

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

When I am camping or other things like that yes. Always leave yourself ready to leave quickly in case you need to. One of my friends backs into his garage at home, it is so it takes less time to leave in case he is running late. Smart planning really.

- - - Updated - - -

A lot of places that don't have plates on both sides of the cars have similar rules.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Are we talking simply backing into a spot instead of pulling straight in? I'm not sure it takes 3-4 times to correct yourself if you are an experience driver.
    Yea not hard if use to the dimensions of your vehicle and using your mirrors.

I drive an 06 Dakota Crew Cab truck, I can back into a spot no problem 98% of the time. The other 2% of the time I might need to adjust because the people I am parking next to didn't park straight.

If you drive a really expensive car you are genetically required to park backwards and at a slight angle and at least 5 spaces away from other cars (everyone has seen this at least once) lol

It is easier to reverse in to a tight parking space than to drive in forwards (because the car has a smaller effective turning-circle), and it is easier to drive out of a tight parking space if you are facing forwards (because you can see everything around you). You also use less of the active carriageway to park if you reverse in.

I don't think it's worth the effort. I usually go front of the car first into the parking spot then just back out when I leave. I mean, yeah, you risk hitting someone if you haul ass backwards out of the spot, but as long as you don't do that, you're usually going to be fine.

But then I just drive a 2001 Mustang. I guess things could be different if you drive some huge-ass truck. /shrug.

You guys talk about how it's safer to park backwards because you can see what's going on around you, but quite frankly, it's never been a problem for me to back out of a space. I don't care if I don't have visibility while backing out. All you have to do is just pull out slowly and nothing will happen to you. If some a-hole hits you, that's because he was being a retard. I also have never had issues with tight spaces. Also, I wasn't talking about pulling through to the space in front of you. That I can understand. I just so often see people park their car backwards and they have to try a couple of times to get it right, or they can't even park straight and between the lines. I'll be honest, it just seems really douchey to park you car backwards. Just Saiyan.

I guess it's a power thing...

Errrrr.... what?!

Thats about as stupid as making a law against red cars, because statisticaly red cars are involved in more accidents.