Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    Tell me these "cons" transmog has
    People now walk around in whatever they want, you can't even tell anymore from looking at a player what kind of content they do and how good they are. You have to carefully go through each item and look at the names of what they wear to get an idea. It used to be that you could just take a look at a player and know immediately what kind of player he is.

Also. it's a bit lackluster with gear now. Gear should have a time and place where it's worn and then it should be replaced. Obviously you still replace gear now, but people can keep the same look. Kinda makes acquiring new gear for looks a bit lackluster if you have your sets that you are gonna wear anyway. Also it takes motivation away from Blizzard to design new good-looking gear, because people are gonna transmog it anyway, which is why we are getting more and more reskins.

Tell me how paid faction change hurt the game
    Are you joking? It has led to certain factions on certain servers completely dying off cause everybody switches to the other faction. All my characters on Alliance on the server where I started playing 8 years ago have been stranded on a dead server ever since they introduced faction change.

Transmog is bad because it removed identity from the game. When i played on a smaller server i knew people instantly just by looking at their gear, and it was awesome.

Also it was great that bad players looked like shit, they were bad after all, i spent fucking 6+ hours per day and i looked awesome as a result. With transmog everyone looks awesome, and then NOONE LOOKS AWESOME, it sucks, simple as that. If you want to play dress-up, go play Sims, please.

I think the visual thing is more important than people realize, people want their character to look good, simple as that. When LFR came everyone looked good without effort, and the same thing happened later on with pretty much free pvp gear.

There has to be rewards for playing the game, you need to have things to strive towards.

Another thing noone has mentioned is portals, portals everywhere. Shrinks world a lot, if you want to go somewhere, ask a mage.

Quote Originally Posted by Encore View Post
    Transmog is bad because it removed identity from the game. When i played on a smaller server i knew people instantly just by looking at their gear, and it was awesome.

Also it was great that bad players looked like shit, they were bad after all, i spent fucking 6+ hours per day and i looked awesome as a result. With transmog everyone looks awesome, and then NOONE LOOKS AWESOME, it sucks, simple as that. If you want to play dress-up, go play Sims, please.

I think the visual thing is more important than people realize, people want their character to look good, simple as that. When LFR came everyone looked good without effort, and the same thing happened later on with pretty much free pvp gear.

There has to be rewards for playing the game, you need to have things to strive towards.

Another thing noone has mentioned is portals, portals everywhere. Shrinks world a lot, if you want to go somewhere, ask a mage.
    What it must be like to live in a world with your views.. Gods that has to be depressing.

I'm still able to identify everyone I know because of their unique transmog styles, their choice of attire. I can easily tell how geared someone is just by looking at their HP at a glance. I don't need my epeen stroked by making everyone else suck just because they're not on my level. I know what my accomplishments are.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll disagree. It's not compromising on features that ruined Warlords for many. It was removing them or making them entirely irrelevant or pointless to do that caused a lot of harm. Maybe Legion will fix that. Maybe not.

I read the OP and disagree with nearly all of it. I don't think much of the solutions either as most of them seem to be about removing choice. That sort of thinking reeks of "make the game for me because I know better than any of you".
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Transmog

Not sure if i wanna look like this.

Left or right?
    actually left

God 90% of your posts are always trying to mock people, often when you are the one writing retarded shit.
    I love how you get so butthurt when people disagree with you. It's delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnumbers View Post
    Blizzard is finished with WoW. Blizzard is accepting their fate, hence their announcement that they will no longer reveal subscriber numbers.
    It's just an old game, simple as that. There is no formula to make it good, and it'll continue to decline until there's nothing left.
    Its cause nothing good comes from showing sub numbers, if they are ok then people will still come to the game, if they drop "oh no the game is dying better leave/not try it out" and cause you constantly hear people use sub numbers as the excuse for many things.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Catering to the 1% ruined the game. Nice try though.
    This true.

And they are still doing that, not a raider? not your game.

Quote Originally Posted by dexodar View Post
    And how did they measure that those changes in particular had a positive impact?
    I know this will come as a shock, but content that people don't use leads to less retention than content that people do use.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I'll disagree. It's not compromising on features that ruined Warlords for many. It was removing them or making them entirely irrelevant or pointless to do that caused a lot of harm. Maybe Legion will fix that. Maybe not.
    The big mistake they made in WoD was putting in lots of content with very badly designed rewards. In an MMO, content without reward is very close to not being content at all.

Look at heroic 5 mans: they were irrelevant for almost everyone after just a few weeks. This was new. In the previous four expansions heroic 5 mans had a purpose all through the expansion.

Or look at the world content. They put a lot of effort into quest subzones, achievement, rares, etc... and then gave it all such crappy rewards that people just ignored a lot of it.

Bad reward engineering was the downfall of WoD, and that appears to be something they are focusing a lot of effort on in Legion to not screw up the same way.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

There needs to be incentives for playing the game, simple as that. If you can find a way of doing that better, i say great.

I love how people rail on WoW "becoming" casual. It's always been casual. When I came to Azeroth from Norrath, it felt like happy time fun land. Don't get me wrong, I love WoW. I just think it's funny that people think they were all hardcore back in vanilla and BC and now it's somehow easy mode.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Bad reward engineering was the downfall of WoD, and that appears to be something they are focusing a lot of effort on in Legion to not screw up the same way.
    OTOH wont powerful extrinsic rewards replace intrinsic rewards. I hope blizzard both adds interesting / innovative gameplay AND useful items.

The gameplay doesnt get more fun only because the gems are more shiny, if you just need the gems to play tedious gameplay at a higher level.
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2016-04-24 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    OTOH wont powerful extrinsic rewards replace intrinsic rewards. I hope blizzard both adds interesting / innovative gameplay AND useful items.
    Well, to be fair to Blizzard, good intrinsic reward is really really hard to create.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Well, to be fair to Blizzard, good intrinsic reward is really really hard to create.
    It just needs a higher level of novelty and innovation. Sure, buzzwords, but thats exactly whats missing in World of Warcraft. Novelty means, new content in a monthly cycle, for example. Innovation would be to add a lot of different quests which contain puzzles and small stories being told. Even the small narrative may be a big intrinsic reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Captnrex View Post
    Its cause nothing good comes from showing sub numbers, if they are ok then people will still come to the game, if they drop "oh no the game is dying better leave/not try it out" and cause you constantly hear people use sub numbers as the excuse for many things.
    If people are leaving the game by the millions, does that not tell you anything?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    It was better than sitting around for an hour in Org spamming "LFG for UBRS Balance/Resto Druid" to finally get a group, only then to have to wait another 20 minutes while someone else flies out to the stone...
    All of you who did this were doing it wrong. The right way was to join a guild. Build people up on your friends list. Sure there were some issues still - no tanks on etc. But if you always were looking to PUG 5 mans you were kind of hurting yourselves.

The one group that LFG really helped were people who played really off hours or inconsistent hours.

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    It just needs a higher level of novelty and innovation. Sure, buzzwords, but thats exactly whats missing in World of Warcraft. Novelty means, new content in a monthly cycle, for example. Innovation would be to add a lot of different quests which contain puzzles and small stories being told. Even the small narrative may be a big intrinsic reward.
    The problem with your suggestion is that most innovations and novelties suck. This is why game companies have tended to stay with what works. Sustaining development of a game like WoW has to be incremental.

Tell me how paid faction change hurt the game
    Are you serious???

Paid faction single-handedly destroyed many server communities and raiding guilds by the end of Wrath.

I can't think of another "feature" added to WoW that has had a more negative effect in that regard.

People used to roll the faction/race they most liked the look or lore of. But, once players discovered the power of racials, servers that were relatively balanced between Horde and Alliance all of a sudden found themselves with one faction completely outnumbering the other.

This then caused the players of the outnumbered faction to transfer to a new server that favored their own faction, which further threw off the faction balance until there was nothing left but a handful of High pop realms that were either Alliance dominant or Horde dominant.

Before faction change, it was not at all uncommon to see high pop realms with a pretty even split between Horde and Alliance. Nowadays? There's not a single high pop server that doesn't favor one faction over the other, by at least a 4:1 ratio.
    Last edited by OneSent; 2016-04-25 at 02:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OneSent View Post
    Are you serious???

Paid faction single-handedly destroyed many server communities and raiding guilds by the end of Wrath.

I can't think of another "feature" added to WoW that has had a more negative effect in that regard.

People used to roll the faction/race they most liked the look or lore of. But, once players discovered the power of racials, servers that were relatively balanced between Horde and Alliance all of a sudden found themselves with one faction completely outnumbering the other.

This then caused the players of the outnumbered faction to transfer to a new server that favored their own faction, which further threw off the faction balance until there was nothing left but a handful of High pop realms that were either Alliance dominant or Horde dominant.

Before faction change, it was not at all uncommon to see high pop realms with a pretty even split between Horde and Alliance. Nowadays? There's not a single high pop server that doesn't favor one faction over the other, by at least a 4:1 ratio.
    Thank you. Race changing is w/e min max. But if you wanted to switch factions you should have to full commit. I mean it's Alliance vs Horde, it's was the original plot of the game remember!? You shouldn't be able to pay $15 freakin bucks just to switch.

Also not a fan of how you can have both factions on one server, another notion on how Blizzard stopped caring, or just knew how soiled Alliance v Horde had become. I feel dirty being able to hunt down my friends on Bnet and gank em....

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    All of you who did this were doing it wrong. The right way was to join a guild. Build people up on your friends list. Sure there were some issues still - no tanks on etc. But if you always were looking to PUG 5 mans you were kind of hurting yourselves.

The one group that LFG really helped were people who played really off hours or inconsistent hours.
    As someone who did and does play off-hours (since I'm an Aussie and I made characters on US servers, since at the time Oceanic servers had frequent queues) guilds weren't much of a solution, especially when you throw in the fact that I played on a low-pop server.