Page 20 of 58 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fibbles View Post
    Blizzard's claims about needing to protect their IP don't really hold water. It's not even clear exactly what IP the Nostalrius guys were violating. All of the actual content is contained in the client, the Nostalrius guys just reverse engineered the server code. They weren't using any Blizzard code or assets. Even if that were not the case, Blizzard granting these guys a license to their IP would not have been hard. Give the Nostalrius guys a perpetual not transferable license to run a WoW server, charge them $1, job done.

I also don't buy Blizzard's argument that it is too hard to set up a Vanilla server. A bunch of hobbyists literally reverse engineered a Vanilla server and got it running stable. How hard can it possibly be for professionals who actually have access to the original source code?
    This^
    I can't believe they shut it down just to say it would be too hard to do haha.

I didnt play on nost but I would be interested to see what they could do with a pristine server .

Deleted
    Nostalgia is a very terrible thing, and it's a huge factor that ends up dragging down not only WoW's, but the general World's ability to progress. It's not Blizzard's responsibility to protect an illegal private server. They own the property. The people who ran the private server stole that property and then manipulated it how they saw fit. That is downright ILLEGAL in every sense of the word.
    Let's burn all old books, movies and historical sites then, because who care about the past anyway ?

Some comment are very scary on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomservo View Post
    Why don't the people who want a vanilla server go to Blizzard hq and protest and block traffic? It seems to be an effective tactic...
    That only works for people if they are liberal and left-wing minded. They might even start voilence, as thats what the typical left-winger do.

Deleted
    Garrisons again? no thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Servasus View Post
    The only reason people have fun playing these old servers is because they know deep down what they are doing is against the rules, and that adds excitement. .
    Wow, I really hope you don't actually believe this. This would only be the case for someone who thinks jaywalking is "sooo edgy and exciting", and I'm guessing you fit that description well.

If it isn't free there's no point in wasting the time to make it. It'll get used for maybe a few months and it'll lose it's charm. Unless they add achievements and for some people non-combat rewards, such a minute number of players will ever use it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    sounds like work and time that could been used elsewhere more interestin
    Precisely. I couldn't give a fuck about vanilla or pristine or whatever. I want Blizzard to focus the entire WoW team on live WoW, because that's the current product, that's the one that matters. If we joke about how something minor always costs a raid tier imagine if they had to create and maintain outdated products for the whims of vocal minorities.

Quote Originally Posted by chase_the_mofo View Post
    Lots of bullshit talk to be honest, and I'll tell you why vanilla or any other previous expansions wont ever happen
    1) They don't want to work on older patches, because it takes much more time compared to current state of the game
    2) If they actually do release something "older" it's literally them saying that their current game sucks, go play older version
    3) No $$$ to be made there with in game purchases

It's all about the money, newer expansions wont be sold cos people would be playing older patches.
    RIP WoW been fun
    Honestly there are enough private servers they can't touch just go play on one of them.

I don't care about pristine, that alone is not enough.

We explored options for developing classic servers and none could be executed without great difficulty. If we could push a button and all of this would be created, we would. However, there are tremendous operational challenges to integrating classic servers, not to mention the ongoing support of multiple live versions for every aspect of WoW.
    This right here, is bullshit. If a bunch of people who doesn't work for blizz can do a great job, I'm pretty sure blizz, with all their resources, can easily do that. Maybe they forgot they are an entertainment company, and sometimes you should go a different path just to make your customers happy, even if it means a little loss of money at the beginning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanelis View Post
    Let's burn all old books, movies and historical sites then, because who care about the past anyway ?

Some comment are very scary on the internet.
    You're comparing things that can't be compared.

Quote Originally Posted by Azgraal View Post
    Precisely. I couldn't give a fuck about vanilla or pristine or whatever. I want Blizzard to focus the entire WoW team on live WoW, because that's the current product, that's the one that matters. If we joke about how something minor always costs a raid tier imagine if they had to create and maintain outdated products for the whims of vocal minorities.
    Agreed, I play on a private server and live and I love both.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeMeLaugh View Post
    This right here, is bullshit. If a bunch of people who doesn't work for blizz can do a great job, I'm pretty sure blizz, with all their resources, can easily do that. Maybe they forgot they are an entertainment company, and sometimes you should go a different path just to make your customers happy, even if it means a little loss of money at the beginning.
    Pls stop..

Quote Originally Posted by Illutian View Post
    It'll be the current expansion with all the convenience turned off...
    LOL that's so dumb. As someone who hates the nost people and their constant spamming and whining I have to say if this is what they're talking about then Blizzard really does have their head up their ass. Either do it or don't.

Quote Originally Posted by chase_the_mofo View Post
    Lots of bullshit talk to be honest, and I'll tell you why vanilla or any other previous expansions wont ever happen
    1) They don't want to work on older patches, because it takes much more time compared to current state of the game
    2) If they actually do release something "older" it's literally them saying that their current game sucks, go play older version
    3) No $$$ to be made there with in game purchases

It's all about the money, newer expansions wont be sold cos people would be playing older patches.
    RIP WoW been fun
    duh, they are a company, of course is all about money.
    you dont go to work just for passion, right? you go to work because you need money to everything.

Lel, imagine legacy servers were more successful than current expac servers...it would show the higher staff (bosses and investors) that the retention of players was due to bad game design decisions, this would make the current team fucked up and ready to fire . I think its one of the strongest reason they dont want legacy realms

no, pristine realm does not equal vanilla or tbc realm. still the same shitty WoD just takes longer to do things?

People just complain to complain about everything ... I can hear it now.. Blizzard comes out with vanilla servers and then people complain its not free because its old content haha .

Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    It wasn't even harder, it was much easier if had today's experience, atoning and gearing. People didn't know anything about playing the game yet so everything was harder to them, and beyond that the main way the game was artificially made hard was that it was gated behind very strict barriers of atonements or gear so for instance if you lost a couple of important players on the last Tier you might be screwed since you might need to attone or gear new players all over again, on old tiers.

The game really became harder on Ulduar where hard mode was something you couldn't do easily even at a time that gearing for it was very easy.

The game is superior right now in many ways on that. The entry is open to almost everyone very early. It's how you actually play that matters.
    I agree that most vanilla raids weren't as hard or complex as later expansion, but the latter raids of vanilla (AQ40/Naxx) were definitely not much easier either. Also, I'd definitely argue that TBC had the hardest raiding. SWP is comparable to the hardest bosses out there today, and you actually had to progress there from T4, not just skip 3 tiers by getting free gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow live is still the product that matters. Blizzard always finds any trivial excuse to cut or delay content, last thing they need is pressure to resupply an obsolete product and deviate their attentions from the main game.