Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Obama pushes for smart guns (with a twist)

For police officers.

Oh boy, this is not going to go the way he thinks it is going to go.

Source: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...hnology-222574

This is going to backfire on him badly (again).

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    For police officers.

Oh boy, this is not going to go the way he thinks it is going to go.

Source: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...hnology-222574

This is going to backfire on him badly (again).
    Lol did he think cops would be all for this? What a tool box.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, that seems like politically the wrong move.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

In a twist of events this is going to show why no one in the civilian market wants this technology.

If you can't convince cops that it is safe and reliable technology good luck getting anyone else to adopt it.

It’s an intensification of an effort kicked off in January, when Obama ordered federal agencies to explore such technology and report back, as part of his series of executive actions for “common sense” gun reforms.
    If there's a less compelling argument than, "come on guys, the thing I want is just common sense", I don't know what it is.

In a twist of events this is going to show why no one in the civilian market wants this technology.

If you can't convince cops that it is safe and reliable technology good luck getting anyone else to adopt it.
    Cops would be all for it if it didn't affect them, funny how that works....

10+ Year Old Account
    As if the gun situation in America will ever change. They seem to think the constitution still matter. A pretty hopeless situation.
    Hi

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't want it in the civilian market just because I don't go shooting alone, and not being able to let a random friend (or a more regular person like my father) shoot my gun at a range would suck. I know Judge Dredd gave us lovely fantasies about guns that could only be fired by the owner, but the technology won't be that refined for a long, long time, and it will only serve to hinder the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Yeah, that seems like politically the wrong move.
    Obama can't get reelected so he's free to screw up as much as he wants and next to nothing bad is going to happen to him. He's in a position of no risk really. His reputation has been on the decline, but again, it doesn't really matter.

It sounded like it was more the cops didn't want to be doing the beta testing for new and unproven technology. Which, yeah, no shit. As a private gun owner though I could care less one way or the other if this feature, provided it worked, was on any of my firearms. It would have 0 effect on me.

I'm honestly not sure how this is a bad thing. Assuming the technology works, which I am also assuming they would test in labs etc before giving it to cops, it seems like a fantastic idea. ALL guns should have this. That would significantly cut down on violent crime AND accidental shootings.

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    It sounded like it was more the cops didn't want to be doing the beta testing for new and unproven technology. Which, yeah, no shit. As a private gun owner though I could care less one way or the other if this feature, provided it worked, was on any of my firearms. It would have 0 effect on me.
    Dat signature size tho. Mods are going to remove it.

Did the the 2700 some odd guns that Obama handed the the murderous terrorist Mexican cartel members have "smart technology"?

And let me guess Obama has a few companies lined up ready to "develop" this technology.

...I'm sure none of those companies have board members close that have personal relationships with Obama.

...I'm sure no tax dollars will be funneled them via some hostile taxation.

..and I'm sure they wont go bankrupt months later having never produced a single product mysteriously burning through all the startup capital.

Funny isn't it?

We need smart technology to verify gun ownership but we don't need any verification for things like voting ...or collecting welfare ...or entering the country ...or ya know pretty much anything that translates to power for tyrants.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    I'm honestly not sure how this is a bad thing. Assuming the technology works, which I am also assuming they would test in labs etc before giving it to cops, it seems like a fantastic idea. ALL guns should have this. That would significantly cut down on violent crime.
    You can do all the testing in a lab you want, nothing compares to extensive field testing and experience, especially with any sort of operational occupational equipment which, for law enforcement, includes firearms.
    Just saying, at some point you're going to need to do real-world testing outside of your controlled lab, and active law enforcement officers is probably not the best choice for your first trial run.

Dat signature size tho. Mods are going to remove it.
    Nothing can stop the ancient ones. Or you reminded me I was going to shrink it but my computer was being stupid and then I forgot.
    Last edited by Enthusiastic Steward; 2016-04-28 at 05:22 PM.

Well, it would eliminate the 'he was going for my gun' excuse, so I'm not surprised they're against it.

idk mayne idk
    mr pickles

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    We need smart technology to verify gun ownership but we don't need any verification for things like voting ...or collecting welfare ...or entering the country ...or ya know pretty much anything that translates to power for tyrants.
    Do you need a map to make your way back from that weird ass tangent you ran out on?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    I wouldn't want it in the civilian market just because I don't go shooting alone, and not being able to let a random friend (or a more regular person like my father) shoot my gun at a range would suck. I know Judge Dredd gave us lovely fantasies about guns that could only be fired by the owner, but the technology won't be that refined for a long, long time, and it will only serve to hinder the owner.
    You just hand your friend the ring or the bracelet or whatever. It's like letting your friend drive your car. They can still shoot the gun.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

People always fear new technology and this is no exception.

Advocates also point to findings that most youth suicides are committed with a parents’ weapon...
    This seems like poor reasoning. Suicide rates for youths are not appreciably lower in countries with less weapons available. Guns are convenient way to get suicide done, but when they're not present, we'd expect to see a near 100% replacement effect for other high efficacy suicide methods.