Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

HIDDEN Work place Cameras

Please help!

Today at work I heard a rumor that my head might be on the chopping block. Meaning either the owners / supervisors don't like me or there looking to fire me. Anyways, today I found a hidden dear camera tapped to the ceiling in my common work place. I'm thinking its been there at least a week now if not a little longer. Is this even legal to do? I work in Wisconsin. I think there trying to see if i'm standing around at work or just trying to catch me in the act doing something. Idk but i'm very pissed off.

I don't know a lot of privacy laws or anything like that. I feel completely betrayed at work. Its like there spying on me. I'm so frustrated right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Perfectly legal if in a business.

Quote Originally Posted by acer1234 View Post
    Please help!

Today at work I heard a rumor that my head might be on the chopping block. Meaning either the owners / supervisors don't like me or there looking to fire me. Anyways, today I found a hidden dear camera tapped to the ceiling in my common work place. I'm thinking its been there at least a week now if not a little longer. Is this even legal to do? I work in Wisconsin. I think there trying to see if i'm standing around at work or just trying to catch me in the act doing something. Idk but i'm very pissed off.

I don't know a lot of privacy laws or anything like that. I feel completely betrayed at work. Its like there spying on me. I'm so frustrated right now.
    It's likely part of their security setup so it's completely valid and there's nothing you can do about it.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please help!

Unless it's in the bathroom or your home, yeah, it's totally legal. Employers are not, as far as I know, required to let you know whether you're being monitored by cameras.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post
    Perfectly legal if in a business.
    It's the hidden part that can very well make this illegal. There are no laws for this. It would go to a judge, who would weigh privacy vs the employers need to surveil their employees.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please help!

What country do you live in? That would help us determine the legality of this.

As far as my experience, it is not illegal in the U.S. to have security cameras in a private business.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

7+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely legal. Every company I have worked for (all of which in California) going back to ~1995 has had hidden and non-hidden cameras active in the workspaces.

Please help!

Obviously the law regarding this will vary WILDY by location. You need a Wisconsin lawyer to answer this, not a pack of internet trolls.

Deleted
    And, obviously, having hidden cameras in the toilet would most likely be very bad for the employer, if they were taken to court over it.

Yeah, you need someone with local knowledge.

Even then you may find that they're well within their rights given documented reason.

I know a pub that installed hidden cameras over their tills to catch some people who were stealing from them. If your employers have documents proving that they believe that you are involved in illegal activity then there's a decent chance that will overrule anything else. Again though - consult someone who actually knows Wisconsin law.

Please help!

Was it in the bathroom? If no, perfectly legal and I approve it.

IMO you are pissed because you know you were fucking off at work and know come Friday, pink slip.

ON WISCONSIN!!!
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Deleted
    Please help!

At work you often have no privacy beyond the rest rooms, ask yourself if you have done anything that warrant you getting fired.

Highly illegal here to install hidden security cameras that record employees without their knowledge. So you might want to state first where you come from.

If you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about.
    Unless you have a super high demand job, I can't see why it would be a terminable offense to be standing around a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Highly illegal here to install hidden security cameras that record employees without their knowledge. So you might want to state first where you come from.
    he did, fam

10+ Year Old Account
    Please help!

If you don't do anything reprehensible you have nothing to worry about. Did you get told things during yearly perf reviews or do you procrastinate/get to work late all the time/have issues with deliverables/have a bad attitude problem/etc...? If not, I don't see why they would fire you.

Cameras are legal as long as they are not in the bathrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    he did, fam
    Oh, indeed.

7+ Year Old Account
    Please help!

Why are you worried? Are you doing something wrong?

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    It's the hidden part that can very well make this illegal. There are no laws for this. It would go to a judge, who would weigh privacy vs the employers need to surveil their employees.
    No it isn't the "hidden" part that could make it illegal. It is fully legal as long as it is not in the restroom facilities at a place of business.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    No it isn't the "hidden" part that could make it illegal. It is fully legal as long as it is not in the restroom facilities at a place of business.
    Well, I'm going to go by a few different legal sites rather than some random Brad on the forums.

i was always under the impression that it is legal, but they have to post a notice or inform their employees that they are under surveillance but i dunno for sure.

I do my job very well, if my boss had hidden cameras and used that to fire me because i wasn't working every second of 50hrs a week (plus im on salary it shouldnt matter if the work gets done), then it's his loss not mine.