Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Unhappy The Avatar Films will Now be a Pentalogy...

Oh dear, it looks like Cameron has expanded his plans from not only one, not only two, not three, but FOUR sequels to be shot all at once. Looks like he forgot how well that turned out for Jackson!

http://www.movienewsguide.com/avatar...-updates/20098

The acclaimed director unveiled his plans for “Avatar 2”, “Avatar 3”, “Avatar 4”, and “Avatar 5” at CinemaCon in Las Vegas on Thursday last week. He told some journalists that he had a “vision of the movies on Pandora”.

Business Standard also reported that Cameron has outlined the release date of the other three movies: Avatar 3 in Christmas 2020; Avatar 4 in Christmas 2022; and Avatar 5 in Christmas 2023. “Each one of which stands alone but which together form a complete saga,” James Cameron remarked.

James Cameron also emphasized that the films will be taped all “together”, comparing it to one of the best films of all time, “The Godfather”. “It’s [filming] not back-to-back. It’s really all one big production. It’s more the way you would shoot a miniseries. So we’ll be shooting across all [Avatar scripts] simultaneously.”
    On the other hand, we'll finally get more traditional epic science fiction films again with aliens and such again! And more Avatar. traditional epic science fiction films!

What do you mean "We all know how that turned out for Jackson?" Wasnt the original LOTR trilogy shot all at once? Those wer fantastic! Only reason the hobbit trilogy was bad was cause it was stretched out to 3 movies when i could have been easily done in 2\

On a side note, Avatar was only ok, it was great seeing it in imax 3d, but when i went to watch it at home on 2d, i realized the movie itself was only ok, I think people got more wowed by the special effects then anything

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    The special effects were amazing and they really immersed you into the movie, but I really liked the story. It reminded me of Fern Gully, which was my all time favorite movie as a kid
    Because they are literally the same story.

Though, Avatar was cool ... but I don't see where the sequels can go.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post

They discover a new metal, evenmoreunobtainium.

Quote Originally Posted by battosi08 View Post
    What do you mean "We all know how that turned out for Jackson?" Wasnt the original LOTR trilogy shot all at once? Those wer fantastic! Only reason the hobbit trilogy was bad was cause it was stretched out to 3 movies when i could have been easily done in 2\
    Jackson's heart died after spending four years watching four hours of the same rushes each day and getting less than six hours of sleep on average. The Hobbit was even worse; he was so exhausted he gave up on Battle of Five Armies and just let the CGI production company animate it.

People don't realize how much it sucks to be the organizer of such a long, demanding project (despite the joys Jackson felt from his work)

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, very similar story, but not exactly the same.
    It is literally the story.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

I will believe 4 more Avatar movies when we actually see all 4 of them. Cameron is notorious for kind of spouting off and using movies to fund other things. He made Titanic literally because he wanted to actually go and explore the ship on the bottom of the ocean and since he was not a historian of note or an explorer, he was just a film maker, he got the studio to pay for it. Avatar was about developing a realistic immersive 3D cinema experience. And now everyone is making crappy 3D movies that jump out at you, where as Cameron did it with subtlety. Don't get me wrong, he is a genius, but he is a genius on his own terms who does whatever he can to scratch his current itch.

10+ Year Old Account
    For it to be the exact story, every detail would be have been the same and every event, etc. It's as I said, very similar, but not exactly the same.
    That isn't what the same story means. Same story means same general plot.
    –The Sith Code

For it to be the exact story, every detail would be have been the same and every event, etc. It's as I said, very similar, but not exactly the same.
    It's a rip off of Dances with Wolves. Cameron even admitted it. http://io9.gizmodo.com/5338570/james...389.1460843068

Eh really wasn't a fan of the first one outside of visuals. Nothing was unique or original (even Star Treck has cat people) about Avatar it's FernGully meets Dances with Wolves meets Last of the Mohicans.

Just feels like a cash grab to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    And the plot isn't exactly the same. It's very similar.
    Outsider goes to do a job nearby native tribe.
    A magic/technological means allows him to see the world from their point of view.
    Outsider becomes emotionally attached to a female member of the native tribe.
    Outsider helps the Natives fight off a force intent on destroying their home for selfish reasons.

Outside of the detail, there is nothing different in the plot. They are the same story. It is like saying a dozen eggs is different than twelve.
    –The Sith Code

With Cameron at the helm I imagine they'll at the very least be decent movies, but part of me still wants to see the sequels to underperform, because if there's any director that could do with their hubris being called into question, it's James Cameron. xD

Outsider goes to do a job nearby native tribe.
    A magic/technological means allows him to see the world from their point of view.
    Outsider becomes emotionally attached to a female member of the native tribe.
    Outsider helps the Natives fight off a force intent on destroying their home for selfish reasons.

Outside of the detail, there is nothing different in the plot. They are the same story. It is like saying a dozen eggs is different than twelve.
    This is essentially a subgenre in and of itself, though. The "going native" story has been told many times outside of those two movies, both before and since, and it frequently hits several identical story beats along the way. I find it strange that people always bring this up when discussing Avatar when it's little more than pointing out which story archetype it falls into. Perhaps it's just because the formula isn't as ubiquitous as most.
    Last edited by Wondercrab; 2016-04-28 at 10:53 PM.

Sigh. We didn't need one sequel, let alone four.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are we discussing the plot or the story? You've mentioned both in your comments and both aren't the same thing. The plot is the sequence of events that happen in a story. The story is what the work is all about.
    You are close but not right on the difference of plot and story.
    –The Sith Code

I don't think you know what the word literally means.

This is pretty hype. I loved the first movie, was fantastic. Glad to hear that there's more coming.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That movie whilst beautiful was extremely boring.

If I want to watch Pocahontas, I'll just watch Pocahontas.

You are close but not right on the difference of plot and story.
    Lol Darth, you're working hard to bash a movie that you believe copied a story/plot (since you can't decide which one you believe it to be). The idea that both movies share is an entire genre of movie. So everything within that is copying, or maybe it's that each movie is unique in it's own right and people who can't enjoy something for what it is are going to bitch incessantly because there are similarities.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    That movie whilst beautiful was extremely boring.

If I want to watch Pocahontas, I'll just watch Pocahontas.
    Another one.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    Lol Darth, you're working hard to bash a movie that you believe copied a story/plot (since you can't decide which one you believe it to be). The idea that both movies share is an entire genre of movie. So everything within that is copying, or maybe it's that each movie is unique in it's own right and people who can't enjoy something for what it is are going to bitch incessantly because there are similarities.
    It didn't share a Genre, it shared trope. It literally is Dances with Wolves/Pocahontas in space. Whilst it doesn't make it a bad thing it doesn't take away from the fact it literally is the same story/trope with different names.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    It didn't share a Genre, it shared trope. It literally is Dances with Wolves/Pocahontas in space. Whilst it doesn't make it a bad thing it doesn't take away from the fact it literally is the same story/trope with different names.
    It did share a genre. Very much so. There are many movies which share the same ideas, that's why we have genres.