Thread: knives

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    What other things is the US "best" at? Why don't you brag about them?

Remember, we are not judged by what we're best at, but by what we're worst at.
    They're pretty good at gun related deaths and 'liberating' other countries.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I keep seeing adds for both titanium and titanium coated knives. Are these any good? I just feel like having a specially treated blade would just render it unservicable, thereby shortening the operational lifespan of the knife.
    Proper ceramic, not just a steel blade coated with something and called ceramic, are great for soft foods and more or less don't need sharpening and they clean easy. The downside is they are more brittle and chip against plates and steel cutlery.

Hook line and sinker. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Because a tool for eating would be a fork/spoon. Sure its a tool for obtaining food but you have to kill the animal before you eat it. It's only purpose is killing, that was its intended use when it was created.

Mind you I'm not saying that's a bad thing as a gun owner myself but I'm not going to delude myself into thinking its anything but a tool for killing.
    You're making me sad. I said very early in this thread that I carry an assortment of blades for various uses. None of them include killing, all include getting me through my day. Like, I actually use them daily. The Leatherman might not qualify as a "blade" but it's useful. The thumb pull folding one is the closest to a "weapon" but I use it frequently; it can be a letter opener for example, or while I'm camping or fishing. The box cutter, because I deal with boxes. Then my entire knife kit that I need for professional work.

All I'm saying is that knives have daily uses and are very nice to have around.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    But it really must irk you that a "failed country" is the most powerful nation on earth. lol
    I still would never want to live there. You don't treat anyone but the super rich or powerful any good. In Denmark you get what a minimum worker is paid just for attending any education on any level (5200 KR month or about 1k dollar's). In USA you are in crippled debt before you get your first work if you had the chance to get an education.

I get your country is huge, much bigger than any european country, and with size comes problems obviously, but ALSO does make me appreciate what I have, just saying that.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    I get your country is huge, much bigger than any european country, and with size comes problems obviously, but ALSO does make me appreciate what I have, just saying that.
    Don't want to derail the knife discussion, but it's more useful to think of US states as equivalent to EU nations. For example, my state alone has about the same population as Finland or Norway or Denmark. And the provenance of the people of my state is mostly Scandinavian and German immigrants.

Moving on. I've used my Leatherman a few times already today. Had to fix a smoker, which required most of its components.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Worth dropping a reminder that the thread isn't about which country is the best or worst, or even the opinions of other countries, but about knives. Please try to cut back on the derailment going forward.

I do notice it's also from a few hours ago, but worth mentioning still since they're in the most recent responses.

Also, for my own personal two cents on this topic, I don't carry knives on me. Granted, I understand they're useful, but where I would mostly use them we have boxcutters or scissors anyway, so I don't find it worth carry around. I'd also feel mildly uncomfortable knowing something like that is in my pocket, but eh, that's just me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never had a need for a knife outside my home.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    No, because I don't want to go to prison. In the UK it's illegal to carry knives in public unless you have a legitimate reason for possessing one.
    If you're fishing, out in the Woods camping, hunting etc then you're fine. Caught walking through the High Street with one on a Saturday afternoon? Not so much.
    I'm pretty ok with that rule though, knife crime is a MASSIVE problem in Scotland, and I've seen some of the horrific shit a knife can do in the wrong hands.
    this, to an american, is very bizarre and 1984-ish

i work as a security guard at a food distribution warehouse, everyone has a boxcutter and/or pocket knife. all the workers that 'throw boxes', the maintenance guys, the truck drivers, even me. knives are useful tools and are small/lightweight. also, we have guns so knife crime isn't quite the problem it sounds like over there.
    Last edited by chewie49; 2016-04-30 at 08:08 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I do not. My husband sometimes does. When he worked on third shift he carried one all the time. Now it's just once in a while. I don't know much about knives, neither their names nor types, but his is from Steel Series and has a black blade. Best I can do to describe it, lol.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Also, I have a pair of Kukris. Well, my husband does. But they're essentially mine, as I practice with them...
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

10+ Year Old Account
    I carry a pistol when I carry.

For places that don't allow weapons, like my day job, I carry an UZI tactical pen.