Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Kenya stages biggest ivory burning in history worth 70 million!

I think this is absolutely fantastic since it sends out a very strong and united message that poaching will not be tolerated. Asia benefits the most out of the ivory trade so I loved seeing those seized statues burning. On that note, I think anyone who owns items made out of ivory should give them up to the authorities so they could be sent to the country from which it came so it can be added to the pyre.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I find this shit useless. Why burn it? The creature already fucking died for it. Put it in a Museum or something, use the funds to pay for conservation.

Burning it just creates more demand for Ivory since you are taking it OUT of circulation, making it rarer and less accessible to the retards that want to use it, meaning they will continue to try and farm it.

goddamn.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    I find this shit useless. Why burn it? The creature already fucking died for it. Put it in a Museum or something, use the funds to pay for conservation.

Burning it just creates more demand for Ivory since you are taking it OUT of circulation, making it rarer and less accessible to the retards that want to use it, meaning they will continue to try and farm it.

goddamn.
    Il guess it shows the poachers that without the elephant having them, the tusks are useless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Il guess it shows the poachers that without the elephant having them, the tusks are useless.
    It does nothing of the sort. People will still want the tusks, there will always be demand. Removing such large quantities increases said demand.

goddamn.
    They do not want to cultivate a demand, that is why they burn them.

I don't think they make great museum pieces just yet.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account

goddamn.
    Because if they don't burn it they encourage more poaching... The people who buy ivory will simply think "well if the poachers get caught I will just buy it from the government that confiscates it..."

goddamn.
    Your logic is circular and not to mention defeatist. If you're trying to eradicate poaching it very much defeats the purpose to partake in selling it and simply redistribute it to the highest bidder. This sends a very strong message that the authorities in Kenya will not tolerate poaching or selling ivory. Zero tolerance is the best policy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    They do not want to cultivate a demand, that is why they burn them.

I don't think they make great museum pieces just yet.
    Reducing access and decreasing availability cultivates far more demand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Well that's not going to help combat global warming.

Deleted
    First time in a long while since I read anything positive about Africa.
    My faith in humanity has increased by a small percentage.

And if you use the funds, someone has to buy it, and selling it creates demand...

Burning it sends a very clear message, they won't tolerate it, and that rather than cash in on $70 Million worth of taxes and bribes, they'd rather just destroy it. Allowing it to be sold creates a greater demand than you would ever create by destroying it, and sending a unified message about your stance on it ...

#Poacher20169 "Well, the supply is low...... there is no better time to do some poachin'!"

It does nothing of the sort. People will still want the tusks, there will always be demand. Removing such large quantities increases said demand.
    They were already removed from circulation. Burning them was merely symbolic.

While keeping it around just to stay away from a feeling of waste entertains the very idea of that demand being ok to begin with.

If you see every jackass with an ivory statue chances are you'd want one too because if that jackass can get one why couldn't you? This is what they try to get rid of, and I can think of a few other things that deserve this treatment

So wait. It wasn't bad enough that these animals were poached to begin with, now you want to destroy the only good thing that came from them?
    The message they are trying to send out is nice, but it just seems wasteful. And i don't even like/own ivory.

You are assuming they can satiate demand for ivory and you base this on what?

No, keeping a lid on it makes it expensive and well out of reach of the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by Orly View Post
    While keeping it around just to stay away from a feeling of waste entertains the very idea of that demand being ok to begin with.

If you see every jackass with an ivory statue chances are you'd want one too because if that jackass can get one why couldn't you? This is what they try to get rid of, and I can think of a few other things that deserve this treatment
    Exactly, they are fighting a culture here, one they do not want to foster.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    They were already removed from circulation. Burning them was merely symbolic.
    LOL

you just decimated his argument.

Because it's incredibly hypocritical to say "Don't hunt for these tusks" Then turn around and sell them which validates the market.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    And if you use the funds, someone has to buy it, and selling it creates demand...
    I said put them in a Museum. You can donate them to the Museum, have an exhibit showing the horrors of poaching and have the Ivory on display. Money spent to see the exhibit goes to conservation.

More useful than just burning shit that the animals already died for.

I said put them in a Museum. You can donate them to the Museum, have an exhibit showing the horrors of poaching and have the Ivory on display. Money spent to see the exhibit goes to conservation.

More useful than just burning shit that the animals already died for.
    Why bother putting it in a museum when you can send a clear message, reduce (or even end poaching) and then you won't need them in the museum, because the create would still be alive for people to go see...?