Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Why is Legion still in Alpha and not in a Beta? I really, really want to try it out!

Former WoW player here who will re-sub instantly for Demon Hunters. I applied for beta with my top-of-the-line PC months ago, yet it seems like Legion is still in Alpha...? I was a Cata, MOP, and WoD beta user so I was hoping my chances would be good.

What's going on and why are they making it so exclusive this time?
    Last edited by Garneth; 2016-05-01 at 03:58 PM.
    I'm HOT for HOTS.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Garneth View Post
    Former WoW player here who will re-sub instantly for Demon Hunters. I applied for beta with my top-of-the-line PC months ago, yet it seems like Legion is still in Alpha...?

Alpha and beta are just development tags.
    It's technically been in beta for a while, they just never switched tags.

7+ Year Old Account
    Former WoW player here who will re-sub instantly for Demon Hunters. I applied for beta with my top-of-the-line PC months ago, yet it seems like Legion is still in Alpha...?

Alpha is where gameplay testing is done preferably with fewer people. Beta is to fine tune what's already going to be in the game. They are not done testing everything they want to test.

10+ Year Old Account
    It wouldn't matter if they changed the name to beta. Your chances of getting in wouldn't change. They've been doing random invites for months now.

The make/model/power of your computer has little to do with it at this point. Case in point, they may actually prefer those with lesser systems to be in the testing process because if everything runs good on lower quality machines, then it would make sense that it would run on the powerful ones. Disregarding all of that though and it is simply a matter of time.

Believe me, I am anxious to play a new class as it takes everything I have anymore just to log on and do the most menial of tasks. I am looking forward to the DH.

Ohhhhhhhhhh Well i didn't know either.

It is still in alpha because systems are still being added and tested. It "should" be switching to beta in the next month. All the specs are finally available in-game and all the systems are in. Just give it a few more weeks at this point.

Not everything is in place yet but they're getting there fast. My guess is we'll move into beta during this month.

Alpha has always been exclusive. Nothing is different this time in that regard.

Going by all the technical stuff that Alpha = Beta (Or it's just a name, tags ect) would it not mean that the peeps who won *beta* access from Icy Veins already received their access? Or maybe Icy Veins is just full of BS(sarcasm) and doesn't have any access to give-away?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyi View Post
    The make/model/power of your computer has little to do with it at this point. Case in point, they may actually prefer those with lesser systems to be in the testing process because if everything runs good on lower quality machines, then it would make sense that it would run on the powerful ones. Disregarding all of that though and it is simply a matter of time.

Believe me, I am anxious to play a new class as it takes everything I have anymore just to log on and do the most menial of tasks. I am looking forward to the DH.

I updated OP to mention I was a Cata, MOP, and WoD beta user so that also adds to my sadness!
    I'm HOT for HOTS.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    It is still in alpha because systems are still being added and tested.
    I keep reading this and I don't know why. It's a complete myth, I participated in all previous betas from the beginning (either I was lucky or Blizz liked my feedback) and all of them had less content and systems available comparing to the current alpha. I even saw entire zones being rebuilt and features being cut (Wintergrasp aerial fight was so bad, thank the Titans Blizzard removed it completely).

Former WoW player here who will re-sub instantly for Demon Hunters. I applied for beta with my top-of-the-line PC months ago, yet it seems like Legion is still in Alpha...? I was a Cata, MOP, and WoD beta user so I was hoping my chances would be good.

It's always been exclusive. WoW has NEVER had an open beta (unless you count Annual pass. But you shouldn't).
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Adams View Post
    It's always been exclusive. WoW has NEVER had an open beta (unless you count Annual pass. But you shouldn't).
    Not true, it had one open beta before Vanilla release in 2004. But your point is valid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    I keep reading this and I don't know why. It's a complete myth, I participated in all previous betas from the beginning (either I was lucky or Blizz liked my feedback) and all of them had less content and systems available comparing to the current alpha. I even saw entire zones being rebuilt and features being cut (Wintergrasp aerial fight was so bad, thank the Titans Blizzard removed it completely).
    All of the previous expansion betas were technically alphas; Blizzard just wasn't using the terms correctly. With their more recent releases, however, they've been using the terms correctly, so Legion is being considered an alpha until all of the features are in and ready to test.

This is the first external alpha for WOW that I've ever seen, usually, the NDA gets lifted with it going to beta, and the beta usually starts with 1 zone available. IN other words, this is what they usually call beta.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai Rin View Post
    All of the previous expansion betas were technically alphas; Blizzard just wasn't using the terms correctly. With their more recent releases, however, they've been using the terms correctly, so Legion is being considered an alpha until all of the features are in and ready to test.
    That's why we all should call it "I'm in!" testing and "I'm not in..." testing. Because that's the bottom line in all these threads.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't worry, you will have your beta invite at August 29th.

7+ Year Old Account
    i got in beta and i dont even meet the minimum requirments ;P they invite random people mostly, as they want to see how stuff works on top of the line computer, and how stuff works on the worst of the worst computers, they want to test stuff with casuals who just quest, and with the top teir of mythic players, they want to test with complisionists and with speed completers, top end pvpers and battleground jockies....

thing is just cause your this or that doesent mean your getting in, the inviting is mostly random, they send some out to people who have connections to get it some veiws but other then that, mosrtly random

Deleted
    Because this time only elitist and popular narcistic (aka streamer) people get it cause you streamers = more buzz for legion....

It's been in beta for a while.
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD