Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Please play something other than Soldier 76.

Please for one match.

Please?

Just one?

I'd say that there's a pretty varied roster being used... but that's a lie. Soldier 76, D.VA, Roadhog and Genji. It feels like every other map it's going to be those four, and occasionally some merciful sod will play Mercy for about two minutes until they get bored and probably reroll McRee or something. I don't know what everybody else's experience is, but out of those 20+ Heroes only a very small selection thus far appear to be getting used.
    Last edited by Bigby; 2016-05-03 at 04:16 AM.

We're all soldiers now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigby View Post
    Please for one match.

Please?

Just one?

I'd say that there's a pretty varied roster being used... but that's a lie. Soldier 76, D.VA, Roadhog and Genji. It feels like every other map it's going to be those four, and occasionally some merciful sod will play Mercy for about two minutes until they get bored and probably reroll McRee or something.
    o_O;;

Not sure what games you're playing!

Are you getting teamed up with the same players over and over again?
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

Every game i'm in where a team doesn't have a sniper ends up getting destroyed by a bastion on the enemy team.
    Last edited by Thewarden85; 2016-05-03 at 04:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewarden85 View Post
    Every game i'm in that doesn't have a sniper on their team ends up getting destroyed by a bastion.
    Bastion is so fkn strong wtf :/

Please for one match.

Please?

Just one?

I'd say that there's a pretty varied roster being used... but that's a lie. Soldier 76, D.VA, Roadhog and Genji. It feels like every other map it's going to be those four, and occasionally some merciful sod will play Mercy for about two minutes until they get bored and probably reroll McRee or something. I don't know what everybody else's experience is, but out of those 20+ Heroes only a very small selection thus far appear to be getting used.
    I've never seen this outside of pre-formed parties.

In the closed beta, you would sometimes see recruitment for groups who wanted to have fun all run a single hero for the sheer hell of it (and sometimes it formed naturally in solo queue on the pre-match hero select screen). Soldier 76 is popular with mainstream FPS fans because unlike everybody else, he has a very simple and familiar tool kit that can be picked up instantly without having to spend a couple minutes reading up on abilities and figuring out how to play a hero.

Deleted
    Please play something other than Soldier 76.
    Telling people what to do and how to play always works out well.

Quote Originally Posted by Neglesh View Post
    There are many, many ways to counter Bastion:

Genji, Bastion's archnemesis: just shift into Bastion's line of fight, press E and and aim back at Bastion. If the Bastion isn't reflexive and stops firing within half a second, he dies. Boom, that simple.

Junkrat can bomb Bastion to death before Bastion can get out of turret mode and flee without any risk to himself.

Pharah, like Junkrat can bomb Bastion with little risk to her self; she can just use the AoE power of her rockets to hit him from around corners without actually entering line of sight.

Mei can just sneak up on bastion and freeze him to death while jumping over Bastion erratically.

Roadhog can just hook Bastion, stopping his gattling gun channel and stunning the bot, and kill him just like that.

McCree just needs to sneak up and press E, instant win.

And of course, there's just plain old getting the drop on Bastion and killing him before he can react. Seriously; he's not a god people.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    76 was literally the least played champion I saw during Beta O_o

I really don't see many S76s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Genji easily counters snipers with his redirect fire ability. Roadhog and dva are both tanks. Winston and Zarya need buffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Neglesh View Post
    Not as strong as he once was. Still strong though in the right hands, but any sniper or stealth/speed character shreds him.

A well rounded team works out well, but its hard to get one it seems like. Most of the games I run into lack a healer or a tankish character. Some of that is a few of the maps don't benefit enough from a diverse group. In most groups I see its always someone playing Genji (who is seriously powerful in the right hands), McRee, Tracer, Bastion/Torbjorn. I do see some 76s, but I think it is for the reason others laid out; he's pretty much the most like every single character in every FPS.

I don't see a lot of soldier 76s either. And, besides, it's many people's first day playing this game and it's a really easy hero to just pick up and do okay with right away.

Played for a good amount of time and the only ones I really didn't see used much were Zarya, Winston, Symmetra and Zenyatta. The first two I mentioned have a pretty lame kit so that's probably why. The rest were fairly commonly played. And in my experience Widowmaker is the most common hero (by a lot), though Diva is pretty popular as well.

That being said I've seen a few players that are absurdly good at Genji...love watching a good player with that hero.
    Last edited by PBitt; 2016-05-03 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    There are many, many ways to counter Bastion:

Genji, Bastion's archnemesis: just shift into Bastion's line of fight, press E and and aim back at Bastion. If the Bastion isn't reflexive and stops firing within half a second, he dies. Boom, that simple.

Junkrat can bomb Bastion to death before Bastion can get out of turret mode and flee without any risk to himself.

Pharah, like Junkrat can bomb Bastion with little risk to her self; she can just use the AoE power of her rockets to hit him from around corners without actually entering line of sight.

Mei can just sneak up on bastion and freeze him to death while jumping over Bastion erratically.

Roadhog can just hook Bastion, stopping his gattling gun channel and stunning the bot, and kill him just like that.

McCree just needs to sneak up and press E, instant win.

And of course, there's just plain old getting the drop on Bastion and killing him before he can react. Seriously; he's not a god people.
    He was a little more durable in the earlier builds this fall, but definately weaker now. A lot of what you mentioned is dog shit play by a bastion. You shouldn't be anywhere where Pharah can rock you or Junkrat, and if McCree or Mei sneak up on you, you are again playing Bastion badly. But, most folks suck at him because they don't understand his playstyle well, but Genji is his nemesis for sure, same with Tracer, Widow, Hanzo, Roadhog, a well played Reinhart and a badly played Bastion. Agree though he is no longer the God he was for a short period. Some Maps he's much better than others.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    I don't see a lot of soldier 76s either. And, besides, it's many people's first day playing this game and it's a really easy hero to just pick up and do okay with right away.

Played for a good amount of time and the only ones I really didn't see used much were Zarya, Winston, Symmetra and Zenyatta. The first two I mentioned have a pretty lame kit so that's probably why. The rest were fairly commonly played. And in my experience Widowmaker is the most common hero (by a lot), though Diva is pretty popular as well.

That being said I've seen a few players that are absurdly good at Genji...love watching a good player with that hero.
    Agreed, and I think its because the folks you mentioned are either tough to play off hand (Symmetra/Zenyatta) and team build reliant (Winston/Zarya). I also think the latter might be a little under powered compared to Reinhardt, Roadhog, D.Va. Also, Symmetra and Zen seem more true supports compared to direct healers like the other supports are.

I have been playing the mystery hero so you don't even get the option to form your team and end up suiciding against the enemy for the chance to get something other than doubles (god do I hate that you can have two of the same person on a team).

Deleted
    Let's assume you get grouped with people who have mostly played character X, and have very little experience with any other character. Would you rather see them play the character they know how to play, or pick up one that they have no idea how to play, just so the roles are filled?

Quote Originally Posted by Raable View Post
    god do I hate that you can have two of the same person on a team
    Well, that's a MOBA mentality right there. This, however, is an FPS, not a MOBA, despite the fact that the characters have skills. Last I checked, FPS' don't restrict which guns or classes you get to use. Do they?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarix View Post
    We're all soldiers now.
    This should be the first and last answer for this thread!
    I participated in the legendary BACON thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    That wouldn't work, Orc's and Human's have a different number of chromosomes.
    WoW: The only fictional world where chromosomes matter.

Interesting, I rarely see a solider 76 OR Roadhog. I always get Widowmaker, tracer and the cowboy dude
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't seen a lot playing D.Va and I'll admit I tend to choose her for most games because I'm the only one willing to pick a tank. Though if someone else does take up that role I'll gladly play Mercy and stick with her. The only thing I want is to not have 5 Widowmakers on my team again -_-
    Life doesn’t get easier, we just grow stronger.

Its early for most players. S76 is a good intro character in that his abilities heavily mimic every other FPS. People will branch out eventually, and then they'll get used to swapping mid game to counter the other team.

Bastion is strong against beginners and average against experienced ones. Parked in the right spot or protected by Reinhardt he can be unstoppable.

Genji has always been the hardest for me to counter when he's played right, followed by Hanzo, but I firmly believe that all Hanzo players are cheaters with wallhax and noclipping (no not really).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Azmaria View Post
    I haven't seen a lot playing D.Va and I'll admit I tend to choose her for most games because I'm the only one willing to pick a tank. Though if someone else does take up that role I'll gladly play Mercy and stick with her. The only thing I want is to not have 5 Widowmakers on my team again -_-
    5 of anything rarely works well, although I did a few 5 bastion teams on defense for the fun of it and lost.

I love having Mercy on my team more than any other healer.