Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post
    I dont think you know what bullying is, or the impact it has on children, which can stay with them for decades. They are in their formative years and a persistent campaign of harrassment and abuse, physical or verbal can damage them for life.

There needs to be a zero tolerance approach, if a kid is bullying they need to be suspended, and the parents punished so they sort that behaviour out. Letting it continue is condoning it and making the victim suffer.
    You may think that, but you would be wrong. The thing is that it is all based on feelings, and what will scar one for life will mean nothing to someone else.

There is no need for a zero tolerance approach, far from it. People need to grow a thicker skin and look at them selves what they can do to improve their situation. Wanting a safe world is a nice dream, but not going to happen any time soon.

7+ Year Old Account
    no, if you read my earlier post you see that rules are applied wiht discretion, zero tolerance means that bullying is treated seriously and where its found to occur you take action, you still have discretion as to what constitutes bullying and what is just normal social interation not all of which is positive.

Your position is absurd, the "gun shaped poptart" is a ridiculous example of an idiot, not a fault with a policy. basically your position is as an apologist who uses ridiculous extremes to argue against prefectly reasonable positions.
    Hey if they want to implement it, go right ahead. Maybe the ones with actual bullies as children will take more responsibility as parents.

But I do worry how this can be misused.

Will this eventually turn to safe spaces? What qualities as bullying? A simple joke?

What happens next?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    oh i can already see how it will get abused, the bully just claims he/she is the victim of the kid they want to suffer.
    Exactly. Or, kids realize that they can abuse this rule and basically inflict financial misery upon anybody who they want.

I mean, who are adults to say somebody is or isn't bullied? They are not around 100% of the time when students interact.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    Hey if they want to implement it, go right ahead. Maybe the ones with actual bullies as children will take more responsibility as parents.

But I do worry how this can be misused.

Will this eventually turn to safe spaces? What qualities as bullying? A simple joke?

What happens next?

- - - Updated - - -
    or you can apply it with proportionality, like pretty much every rule and law in society at present.......

Deleted
    no, if you read my earlier post you see that rules are applied wiht discretion, zero tolerance means that bullying is treated seriously and where its found to occur you take action, you still have discretion as to what constitutes bullying and what is just normal social interation not all of which is positive.

Your position is absurd, the "gun shaped poptart" is a ridiculous example of an idiot, not a fault with a policy. basically your position is as an apologist who uses ridiculous extremes to argue against prefectly reasonable positions.
    But that will never happen, first something is not seen as offensive and no body is offended by it. Now, after a few years of this people are getting offended by this same thing, just because their tolerance has lowered. You can get offended by anything, and if you happen to have an unusual appearance, it sucks for you, but that doesn't mean that others won't look at you or point at you.

7+ Year Old Account
    or you can apply it with proportionality, like pretty much every rule and law in society at present.......
    Who determines this proportionality?

Again, not everybody is around to see.

What if a shithead group of kids in the same group said Little Jimmy bullied them and hurt their feelings by mean words? Does Little Jimmy have his parents fined?

People do not realize how cruel kids can be to each other.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MeHMeH View Post
    You may think that, but you would be wrong. The thing is that it is all based on feelings, and what will scar one for life will mean nothing to someone else.

There is no need for a zero tolerance approach, far from it. People need to grow a thicker skin and look at them selves what they can do to improve their situation. Wanting a safe world is a nice dream, but not going to happen any time soon.
    Sorry, but anyone who uses "grow a thicker skin" when referring to kids being abused is a dickhead in my opinion. Wanting a safe place for our children is natural and normal, if you dont think its anything other than a nice dream then you really sound like you lack basic social integration. Whats your position? because something will take an effort to solve its not worth it? thats pretty damm pathetic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    Who determines this proportionality?

Again, not everybody is around to see.

What if a shithead group of kids in the same group said Little Jimmy bullied them and hurt their feelings by mean words? Does Little Jimmy have his parents fined?

People do not realize how cruel kids can be to each other.
    my god, if you cant see how that situation would be automatically resolved by a reasonable person I dont think its worth debating. Again, you reach for the ridiculous and treat it as normal to try to support an absurd position.

People will know both kids, so you dont think that teachers will suspect something dodgy if a group of "shithead" kids all gang up and claim a single kid (who probably has a history of being picked on) is bullying them......

Thats a pretty lame plan by any standards, the fact you raise that as a potential problem should tell you how weak your position is.

- - - Updated - - -

But that will never happen, first something is not seen as offensive and no body is offended by it. Now, after a few years of this people are getting offended by this same thing, just because their tolerance has lowered. You can get offended by anything, and if you happen to have an unusual appearance, it sucks for you, but that doesn't mean that others won't look at you or point at you.
    ok, you think its acceptable to look and point because of how people look.....most normal people dont do that. or think its acceptable.....

7+ Year Old Account
    And what do you get when you do not get any diseases? What do you get when you have a child grow up inside a clean room, have no inoculations either, because you know, that is giving someone a disease, right!? Now, when this child has turned 21 lets set the child free and lets see how long it well last, shall we!?
    So, is this reductio ad absurdum or just a strawman? Either way this reasoning is comical.

"The world is cruel, so we shouldn't try to prevent cruelty"

Try again

7+ Year Old Account
    my god, if you cant see how that situation would be automatically resolved by a reasonable person I dont think its worth debating. Again, you reach for the ridiculous and treat it as normal to try to support an absurd position.

People will know both kids, so you dont think that teachers will suspect something dodgy if a group of "shithead" kids all gang up and claim a single kid (who probably has a history of being picked on) is bullying them......

Thats a pretty lame plan by any standards, the fact you raise that as a potential problem should tell you how weak your position is.
    Just going by what I see when I see the words "Zero tolerance."

It rarely is executed as well as the pretty on-paper idea.

Innocent kids get screwed in "Zero Tolerance" situations.

Deleted
    Sorry, but anyone who uses "grow a thicker skin" when referring to kids being abused is a dickhead in my opinion. Wanting a safe place for our children is natural and normal, if you dont think its anything other than a nice dream then you really sound like you lack basic social integration. Whats your position? because something will take an effort to solve its not worth it? thats pretty damm pathetic.
    Right, there you show your real colors, when you can't disagree normally you start with name calling all whilst claiming that i lack social integration. And you are the one that wants "safe spaces", LOL.
    No, it is just part of growing up, learning how to deal with people and how to be part of a group. It has nothing to do with "not wanting to change it" because, there simply is nothing to change here. People just aren't grown with people skills, they need to be developed, and finding once social place is one of these things. It sucks if you are bad at it, but you just can't skip this phase just because you do not like it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vexatio View Post
    So, is this reductio ad absurdum or just a strawman? Either way this reasoning is comical.

"The world is cruel, so we shouldn't try to prevent cruelty"

Try again
    Right, the world is cruel is a strawman now? Last time i've checked the world was pretty cruel. This isn't a strawman, you where the one strawmanning with the comparison you made the first time round. I just put your nose through it to let you know how stupid your strawman was.

Giving people a fine doesn't in any way prevent cruelty, try again.

- - - Updated - - -

ok, you think its acceptable to look and point because of how people look.....most normal people dont do that. or think its acceptable.....
    So you think that a kid who has never seen a fat person isn't going to notice this? Do you really think that this kid isnt going to point and giggle whilst poking mom and saying WTF is that mom??
    And you never look at some strange person you see? You may not point at it like a little child, but you will look just because it is out of the ordinary. Being out off the ordinary isn't a bad thing, but you have to face the consequences of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by waldor22 View Post
    yes?
    act like a normal kid and you won't get bullied
    Define normal please. One of my friend had glasses and he got bullied. I defended him so they started to push on me aswell because I was the nice kid that had someones back.
    Also even if some people would not "act normal" there is no reason to bully that kid. But if you think that is a good reason why to bully someone, sorry but you need some sort of help.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alphalion View Post
    Yeah kids with autism and other disability get bullied because it was totally their own fault. And also I got bullied before highschool because I was the only Asians and the only kids with braces and beaver teeth at shcool and I was skinny and weak because my parents couldn't afford food, that's acting not normal?
    I can't believe it there is people like you allowed to vote
    There will always be men like him. People that can't accept others that which is different.

It's definitely worth a shot. I hope it works.

I support this, too many parents today don't punish their kids and expect society to deal with them

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    You do know the kid that finally hit back was almost given the blame for it? Which is what happens to a lot of bullied kids that finally strike back. Often times, it's reported many times over that they're being bullied and schools refuse to do something about it. Then, when the bullied kid finally fights back, the school pays attention, and by 'paying attention', I mean that they punish the bullied kid that had enough.

Also, "the kid isn't a pussy.". Oh sod off, bullying helps no one. Bullying is just a selfish kid's way of tearing others down because he is self-conscious. There are consequences when adults do this to other adults, and there should be consequences when kids do it to kids.
    That's happened to me alot growing up. Harassed all the time and nobody did anything about it. Then when I fought back I'm the one who got in trouble.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

I'm cool with it if it's used against bullies, not acts of bullying. Kids are gonna take jabs at each other, both verbally and physically, they're impulsive and immature. It happens, treat it as a learning experience. For the "bully", they need to be taught self control, for the victim, to toughen their skin a bit. You can't have kids maliciously assaulting (both physically and/or verbally) others, and you can't coddle kids, they'll be a cry baby.
    Your powers are useless on me you silly billy...

I expected "ex"-bullies to arrive en masse. I was not wrong.
    So sad, so predictable.
    This law is good. All depends on the actual implementation. Some at least will think twice before doing something to another one, if at home they will be punished because parents had to pay 1k $.
    P.S.
    And, of course, we have those, who still havent grown up and think that everyone can "stop being pussies" and stand up to bullies. Out of touch with reality, it seems.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as the proper wording is used and the law is implemented properly so as to avoid misuse of the law, then I'm all for. Bullying is BS.

I'm just going to echo the question @TheWalkinDude because it really needs to be settled before the inevitable lawsuits roll in.

People who say this is a great idea: What qualifies as bullying?

7+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Right, the world is cruel is a strawman now? Last time i've checked the world was pretty cruel. This isn't a strawman, you where the one strawmanning with the comparison you made the first time round. I just put your nose through it to let you know how stupid your strawman was.

Giving people a fine doesn't in any way prevent cruelty, try again.

- - - Updated - - -
    Which comparison I made the first time around? Are you confusing me with someone else?

And fining parents for repeated bullying offenses (read the op) makes great sense. You ARE being ridiculous if your argument is that, "oh kids are mean, the world is cruel, best not to even bother in the first place"

"toughen up" as a philosophy in life will only take you so far, and in your reasoning, blames the victims of bullying rather than the bullies themselves.

I work in a district where I saw one student bullied to near suicide because he turned in a stupid kid for making a school shooting threat. Should we just tell him to "toughen up" because the friends of a kid who threatened a school shooting decided to wage an online and real-life bullying campaign against him?

or would it be more reasonable, having evidence, to fine the families that let this behavior go on unpunished?

get real please

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    yes?
    Excuse me, but why should I be punished for example if I refuse to communicate with any of those idiots?
    Should I get beaten up?

This is a free world, as long as you dont harm anyone you should also recieve no harm. It's a good thing they started doing this. Punish them all, even increase the costs.

yes?
    I'm sorry, but why do I have to prescribe to what you believe is normal? What makes your version of normal better than mine?
    RETH