Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Of course I have to wait and see how well the execution is with artifact weapons but the concept of them is very appealing to me personally. Actually can't believe it took them this long to have such a system in the game. A weapon that I can customize in talents and looks...a weapon that stays relevant the entire expansion...a weapon with back story...yes please!

And I don't get the "but you mean a million players will run around with ashbringer "...yes but how is it different from raid gear. There's name weapons with some back story that drops in raids..that doesn't break immersion when say 100000 players have the same weapon from some elite boss?

Two problems I see with Artifact weapons:

1) All the development time that went into them and the entire system that has been confirmed will be abandoned next exp pack.

2) For the next two years there will not be any new cool weapons to acquire for transmog in the future. Weapons often being the primary piece from which transmog sets are based... this will make it feel stagnate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post

1) All the development time that went into them and the entire system that has been confirmed will be abandoned next exp pack.

2) For the next two years there will not be any new cool weapons to acquire for transmog in the future. Weapons often being the primary piece from which transmog sets are based... this will make it feel stagnate.
    Dude there will be plenty of transmog weapons!

In the cash shop, brought to you by Activision®.

10+ Year Old Account

1. The development time wasn't necessarily wasted. They only confirmed that we're leaving behind these, Legion-specific artifacts, not the system itself. We could get new artifacts in the following expansion, or something else using the same systems artifacts do.

2. I think it's pretty likely that, after the expansion is over, any artifact skins we unlock will be added to the wardrobe for us to continue using after Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilananazz View Post
    LOL

People are getting artifacts weapons, legendary weapons with a rich backstory and history that can be traced back long before WoW.

yet people complain they won't use others. Just shows the mentality of today's players. I bet the quest / way to get them won't even involve leaving ogrimmar unless you're using LFR.
    I have yet to see people complaining about them, more or so just worried that they're skins don't look as good as others. Either way, the general response to the "complaining" has been "just transmog it if you don't like them". That's fine, but you're definitely extremely narrow minded if you can't see the main reason people dislike getting these legendary weapons, especially Ashbringer and Doomhammer. That reason is because we won't be using them after Legion, as blizzard has already stated. Who in their right mind would would give up Ashbringer or Doomhammer, or Felo'melorn? Nobody would, and that's why people dislike the idea of getting them in the first place. Blizzard has stated something about us putting them in a gallery in our class hall when the expansion is over as well which sounds stupid.

Me personally, I like artifact weapons. It's a breath of fresh air, and as a Paladin I love the artifacts we get. 2/3 of them are influenced heavily by titans which is one of my favorite aspect of WoW lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Rin View Post
    1. The development time wasn't necessarily wasted. They only confirmed that we're leaving behind these, Legion-specific artifacts, not the system itself. We could get new artifacts in the following expansion, or something else using the same systems artifacts do.
    Exactly - and in subsequent expansions it could be trinkets instead of weapons or some other piece of gear. It'll provide each spec in each expansion some kind of unique playstyle and if people enjoy it well enough, they could add it back in through talents.

2. I think it's pretty likely that, after the expansion is over, any artifact skins we unlock will be added to the wardrobe for us to continue using after Legion.
    If they wont let you transmog legendaries, what makes you think they will allow you to transmog artifacts? You already cant transmog to other ones.

1) Not a chance in hell this system is coming back in any form...

2) No... we won't be able to transmog artifacts.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenny View Post
    Are the developers not allowed to create new lore now?
    No, but I would not treat us like morons and tell us that a Spear that is Literally a Quest Drop, with no prior history in the game is anywhere near as cool as using Ashbringer, or that Copy and Pasted Questlines* are as great as Reforging Frostmourne.

Unholy Death Knights, Balance Druids, Affliction Warlocks are a copy of each other, as is Discipline Priest and Arcane Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrox View Post
    If they wont let you transmog legendaries, what makes you think they will allow you to transmog artifacts? You already cant transmog to other ones.
    Legendaries are different. They were only a couple of the weapons from each expansion. Artifacts are all of the weapons in Legion. I don't think they're going to just throw away all of the currently 216 weapon models developed for Legion (and I bet there will be new ones with each tier as well). It would be a massive waste of perfectly-reusable art assets.

- - - Updated - - -

1) Not a chance in hell this system is coming back in any form...

2) No... we won't be able to transmog artifacts.
    Great arguments there, chief. *slow claps*

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Right now in Alpha, the Battle for the Broken Isles scenario quest awards a rare weapon with a very interesting tooltip. It could end up being nothing, but per the tooltip, the weapon has nine possible upgrades. Is it beyond the realm of possibility that this weapon can actually be upgraded to a high enough ilvl to make it a serviceable, but obviously inferior, alternative to the artifact weapon? I admittedly dont follow dev blogs or the front page of this site, so maybe its already been mentioned. I dunno.

Right now there does not appear to be any way to actually upgrade it, and it is entirely possible that this is pure tooltip shenanigans and will be fixed prior to release.