Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Question about the US marines

I'm writing a screenplay about a man who is in the marines who verbally and physically assaults his commanding officer after an enemy altercation that left several of their unit down. Now, in this case, your typical marine assaulting a commanding officer and actually pulling his gun on him (the officer swiftly deals with the threat and puts the marine on his chest), would he be discharged from the service, and would he have to serve jail time for the assault, as it's still a crime? How long would that jail time be, if he did?

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Army is better.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

www.ucmj.us

Your guy would be in for a very bad time. Being put in Leavenworth for a very long sentence would be the least of his worries.

Deleted
    I think you should add a talking dog to lighten the mood in the script.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    www.ucmj.us

Your guy would be in for a very bad time. Being put in Leavenworth for a very long sentence would be the least of his worries.
    Thanks for the link, but I have no idea how to make any sense out of that haha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    Thanks for the link, but I have no idea how to make any sense out of that haha.
    I though reading comprehension went hand-in-hand with screen writing? Anyways its covered by the Uniform Code which is the foundation for all branches of service.

I think that Ray Liotta played this trope out best, in the opening scene of 1994's No Escape. Or maybe Arnold Schwarzenegger in The Running Man.

Infracted. Be nice
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-05-05 at 02:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ct Marshall instantly.

The "brigg" or a military prison is definitely not like regular jail. Beatings, starvation, dehydration, verbal assault on a daily basis (whether the general public wants to believe this or not, it happens. It's life. It isn't all pretty rainbows like you all probably think.) so it would be a bad time.

For assaulting an officer (and pulling a gun on them) you are looking at HEFTY time as it could be considered attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon, treason(this is the biggest one) and that could net you some SERIOUS time. Like 15+years time.

I am not personally in the military but have quite a few connections with people of all kinds of ranks in the military we have discussed this kind of thing before, although not the gun thing, they basically told me it would be a bad time. The time served would be nothing compared to the physical and mental pain they would endure in military jail.
    Last edited by Sunnydruid; 2016-05-05 at 12:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampz View Post
    inb4 "flying is a major part of the reason I have fun in wow!"
    Buy a fucking flight sim then

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    I though reading comprehension went hand-in-hand with screen writing? Anyways its covered by the Uniform Code which is the foundation for all branches of service.

I think that Ray Liotta played this trope out best, in the opening scene of 1994's No Escape. Or maybe Arnold Schwarzenegger in The Running Man.

Jesus. Someone always has to be a smart ass, don't they? So, a writer, to you, must be knowledgeable of all things and know the lingo for everything ever in order to write? Gotcha.

What I meant, swine, is that I don't know anything about the military so why the hell would I know military lingo? That makes no sense, and neither do your snide remarks.

15+ Year Old Account
    What I meant, swine, is that I don't know anything about the military so why the hell would I know military lingo? That makes no sense, and neither do your snide remarks.
    If you know nothing about it, why are you writing a book about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    I'm sure GRRM doesn't have first hand knowledge of dragons and white walkers either

15+ Year Old Account

Cool

As prior Navy, it all depends on how much of a turd the officer is and what lead up to the marine assaulting him. If the assault was not warranted he could be court marshaled and sent to the brig if was his first offense. If it was warranted and the officer saw that it was and the officer had a good head on his shoulders he would talk to the marine (while the marine was on his chest), calmed him down and got back to business.
    The main thing is to look at the context of the attack, the demeanor of both marine and officer, and whether or not the officer was a tight-ass or a good guy.
    Cheers!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Congratulations on assuming my entire piece is about this one little nugget of information. That'd be a pretty pisspoor movie.

15+ Year Old Account
    Congratulations on assuming my entire piece is about this one little nugget of information. That'd be a pretty pisspoor movie.
    Your movie better have MMO-C forums on its credits then.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jesus. Someone always has to be a smart ass, don't they? So, a writer, to you, must be knowledgeable of all things and know the lingo for everything ever in order to write? Gotcha.

A decent writer is expected to be able to research his subject matter. If one is too lazy to manage that. I doubt they can even finish a screenplay or a book chapter.

GRRM extensively researched the War of the Roses to begin writing GoT. I dont think he trolled GEN-OT with a thread called, "Gais explain King Lear to me".

BTW, Marines are known for their sarcasm and snide remarks.
    Last edited by Milchshake; 2016-05-05 at 12:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Knock it off. If you have nothing polite and constructive to contribute, don't post.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    A decent writer is expected to be able to research his subject matter. If one is too lazy to manage that. I doubt they can even finish a screenplay or a book chapter.

GRRM extensively researched the War of the Roses to begin writing GoT. I dont think he trolled GEN-OT with a thread called, "Gais explain King Lear to me".

BTW, Marines are known for their sarcasm and snide remarks.
    What part of seeking advice on a forum from those who know more about the marines isn't research LOL? Are you fucking kidding me?

May I suggest researching a bit via another board? UCMJ is a fairly well documented form of Law, rather well explained in detail in places other than MMOC.
    Marines UCMJ is no different than any other branches so...you may find more / different cases in other branches that would apply or are similar to your specific story...just alter the branch.
    Military.com (I think) has stories like this ,with comments (way interesting to read those) from various time periods of the US military (WW1-Current conflicts).

As a general rule though, You DO NOT DO IT ....for one.
    2.It does depend on the totality of the situation,verified by reports and testimony.
    3. The service records of all involved does play a part in the ...rulings.
    4.You WILL b at the very least kicked out,Dishonorably Discharged and fairly well resigned to a life of min wage jobs the rest of your natural life.

As a former Marine and with a little exp in dealing with the sarcasm,snide,and salt of my brothers and sisters,good luck with your story.

Quote Originally Posted by Laz View Post
    As prior Navy, it all depends on how much of a turd the officer is and what lead up to the marine assaulting him. If the assault was not warranted he could be court marshaled and sent to the brig if was his first offense. If it was warranted and the officer saw that it was and the officer had a good head on his shoulders he would talk to the marine (while the marine was on his chest), calmed him down and got back to business.
    The main thing is to look at the context of the attack, the demeanor of both marine and officer, and whether or not the officer was a tight-ass or a good guy.
    Cheers!
    This is my assessment as well. You see this in movies a lot, where the commanding officer or Sergeant will "take off their hat", in an attempt to settle a dispute. Happened in my platoon once, DS was walking off and asked if anyone wanted seconds, we were like ... uh.... the private was squared away after that incident.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

It seems a bit arrogant to write a story about something you admittedly know nothing about, if you expect people to take it seriously.

Stick to what you know.

I'm writing a screenplay about a man who is in the marines who verbally and physically assaults his commanding officer after an enemy altercation that left several of their unit down. Now, in this case, your typical marine assaulting a commanding officer and actually pulling his gun on him (the officer swiftly deals with the threat and puts the marine on his chest), would he be discharged from the service, and would he have to serve jail time for the assault, as it's still a crime? How long would that jail time be, if he did?
    A fully trained, armed and pissed off Marine with the upper hand, with a gun drawn on a military officer, is quickly neutralized by the same military officer?

At this point, I don't think you need to worry about reality.

The military officer Tom Striker had been under the deadly end of a gun before, only this time it was different, it was one of his own men. Always cool under pressure, Striker stares back at the unnerved Marine, those cold steely eyes looking out from behind his aviation sunglasses. Striker slowly reaches into a pocket on his Officers jacket, overburdened with all the medals he has received for various forms of military heroism, and pulls out his trusty wooden tooth pick and deftly places it into his mouth. He twirls that toothpick around for a while as it helps him focus as he assess his options. He knows he could swiftly dispatch this Marine at any second, but he doesn't want to harm one of his men. Striker thinks back to his earlier years, the time he spent in a Japanese Dojo trying to find serenity for all his demons. It has been many years since his training in the martial arts.