Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    No it's not, that's common sense

This is social justice as it's being taught in universities by overzealous admin staff:

I see activists. So what? There's nothing wrong with activism. What about their actions there are in any way objectionable?

You're gonna have to come up with something more objective than "people I don't like chanting slogans I don't agree with".

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orwell7 View Post
    Ok-ok!
    Let's see what you've got if someone is using this open and free society against you.
    "what the fuck would you know" - why are you swearing? If someone swears in front of me, I'm being offended. Please do not do that. I don't want to be silenced by you. You should understand my views. If you don't, then go to live in Pakistan with your own mental shortcomings and leave me alone in my safe space.
    If you won't, then you should be... what? Put to jail? Get fired from your job? Get your name to some list with notorious offenders? Or what? What is the OUTCOME of this situation? Who decides what is "new and open"?
    See how it feels? This is the problem. Every single freakin word can be twisted in the name of "openness".

I can bring up some "new" and "open" things too!
    Like, I have blue eyes, therefore I am a special snowflake, because being blue eyed is like being a mutant nowadays. Everyone is brown eyed, I feel opressed talking to them. I can feel that when they look in my eyes, they look differently, and it scares me. I think all blue eyed people should get some compensation for this pain.
    Or! I really like loud music. I suffer in silence. I deserve the best sound equipment, because I am scared when there is no music.

Freakin bullshit.
    Nailed it.

Where does "openness" end? What determines openness?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    It's way too early for me to read that someone was shamed pubic ally.

goddamn it, auto correct.
    Yeah tech annoys me sometimes >_<

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I'm not interested in dealing with baseless hypotheticals that are phrased so broadly as to be functionally useless. If you have an actual issue to raise, by all means. If you're going to resort to useless platitudes without basis, I'm not going to bother.

Especially since someone being fired for saying racist things was fired because of their actions, not because some "fanatic" got "offended" by those actions.
    It's not a one-way thing and shouldn't be, either. We've had people calling people or companies racist, for not wanting muslims working for them who don't shake hands with female customers or co-workers, resulting in them having to pay damages for "discrimination", when no discrimination has taken place. That's over the top. Where's the tolerance for our customs? That we shake hands with people regardless of gender? Nobody ever pays attention to that, they just pay attention to the "poor minorities" who are discriminated against in their eyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    It's not a one-way thing and shouldn't be, either. We've had people calling people or companies racist, for not wanting muslims working for them who don't shake hands with female customers, resulting in them having to pay damages for "discrimination", when no discrimination has taken place. That's over the top.
    Refusing to hire Muslims is pretty much textbook discrimination.

If a particular individual is insulting to your clients by refusing to shake hands with them over the client being a woman, well, that's misogyny; feel free to fire that individual for their actual behaviour. That's completely different. And has nothing to do with their being Muslim.

Deleted
    Refusing to hire Muslims is pretty much textbook discrimination.

If a particular individual is insulting to your clients by refusing to shake hands with them over the client being a woman, well, that's misogyny; feel free to fire that individual for their actual behaviour. That's completely different.
    There was no "refusing to hire muslims", it was a refusal to hire muslims who won't shake hands with women. Yet companies currently can be sued for discrimination if they refuse to hire those who won't shake hands with women, even if they hire the muslims who do shake hands with women.

I see activists. So what? There's nothing wrong with activism. What about their actions there are in any way objectionable?

You're gonna have to come up with something more objective than "people I don't like chanting slogans I don't agree with".
    Do you feel the same way about the ridiculous far right wing groups rising up to counter these like the Sons of Odin?
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    The truth doesn't always work like that.

Think facebook trends. "MAN KICKS OUT ____ person."

Then you see comments like "WHAT A ___IST. HE SHOULD BE FIRED / NEVER SERVE AGAIN."

Stories spread, people spread misinformation. And before you know it, the damage is done. The truth may come out, but it won't help in any significant way.
    Lots of misinformation and rumour mongering goes on, it isn't limited to the issues you're talking about though. Social Justice certainly isn't responsible for it. Wouldn't the shop keeper be able to sue for defamation over there in the US?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    It's not a one-way thing and shouldn't be, either. We've had people calling people or companies racist, for not wanting muslims working for them who don't shake hands with female customers or co-workers, resulting in them having to pay damages for "discrimination", when no discrimination has taken place. That's over the top. Where's the tolerance for our customs? That we shake hands with people regardless of gender? Nobody ever pays attention to that, they just pay attention to the "poor minorities" who are discriminated against in their eyes.
    Nobody cares. That is the problem.

If you are in any way the majority, you don't matter. It's actually beyond apathy. It's borderline resentment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    People at 18 often believe that their parents are stupid and that their generation is the first generation that "gets" it. They absorb all the bullshit their left leaning professors throw at them like sponges.

It's not until their graduate and get some responsibilities that they realize they were lied to.
    I can't stress enough how much this is true.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Lots of misinformation and rumour mongering goes on, it isn't limited to the issues you're talking about though. Social Justice certainly isn't responsible for it. Wouldn't the shop keeper be able to sue for defamation over there in the US?
    I think social media has given this type of ridiculousness more platforms to stand on. And it's harmful.

Information can spread fast on the internet.

But so can lies and deceit.

Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    Tell that to people in the comic book industry, http://kukuruyo.com/2016/05/05/no-on...ists-politics/
    I stand corrected, was more thinking on a one to one basis when I said that and forgot about the "movements" like this.

I stand by the rest of my statement though. It's the people that think someone is trying to "ruin their life" (translated: does something I find offensive therefore it's the worst thing ever...) who then attack those people and everyone who agrees with them. The article you linked is proof of that.

Someone doesn't like seeing boobs or sexy women in comics...so these fuckwads try to get all boobs and/or sexy women out of the comics and replace them with ...other stuff....? Not even thinking that what this specific group of fuckwads want to put there instead might be offensive to an entirely different group of people, therefore causing a completely different problem.

All of this because someone had their delicate sensibilities triggered. Fuck off.... why are YOUR sensibilities any more important than mine? or anybody else's? You self important little twat.

Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    Man, it's a good thing OSU is probably the shittiest university in this state. Though EOU is pretty fucking bad too.

Honestly, most of the colleges in Oregon are pretty cringe worthy. A lot of Oregonians choose to go out of state or online only, because campus visiting is a lot like attending a religious cult.
    Is OSU the one with the Duck and the snazzy metallic green uniforms for the football team?
    Or am I mixing them up?

I am rather surprised this hasn't made it to any of CA state Universities ...yet..at this level.
    UC Berkeley is losing it's title!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post

All of this because someone had their delicate sensibilities triggered. Fuck off.... why are YOUR sensibilities any more important then mine? or anybody else's? You self important little twat.
    Exactly. And that is why some of these social progress things are actually harmful to society.

It is basically saying if you are a minority, everything about you matters far more than anybody else.

And people don't see why this causes resentment?

Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    Do you feel the same way about the ridiculous far right wing groups rising up to counter these like the Sons of Odin?
    Watch out, you might trigger PC Principal and we all know what happens when he's triggered

Quote Originally Posted by Melkandor View Post
    Watch out, you might trigger PC Principal and we all know what happens when he's triggered
    Endus is Endus, he likes to Endus.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

And yet, here you folks are, complaining that universities aren't safe spaces for your viewpoints. Getting offended that people disagree with your views.

It's no different. Your entire argument is internally inconsistent. It's just partisan antagonism, on your part, there's no actual basis for your complaint other than that you're not on their "side". You're engaging in exactly the same behaviour you're condemning the social justice types for taking part in.

"Social justice" is just recognizing that we're all people, and that the differences between us are mostly cosmetic. That some people aren't treated equally by society for those same cosmetic differences, and that's wrong. I really don't see why people think that's a nightmare position and stand so strongly against it.
    I wish social justice were that simple Endus. I'd have no problem fully embracing the label of SJW if it were.
    Gaming & Tech related discussion with occasional poo flinging!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNS...PDOAsdXS7I029g
    https://twitter.com/Aztech_Zero

All of this stuff is just going to lead to a backlash, people are tired of being expected to drink that liberal koolaid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    All of this stuff is just going to lead to a backlash, people are tired of being expected to drink that liberal koolaid.
    It's not even particularly liberal. It's authoritarian.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    I think social media has given this type of ridiculousness more platforms to stand on. And it's harmful.

Information can spread fast on the internet.

But so can lies and deceit.
    Yeah they can.....but what's this got to do with Social Justice again?

Quote Originally Posted by AztechZero View Post
    I wish social justice were that simple Endus. I'd have no problem fully embracing the label of SJW if it were.
    I agree. Since it's not that simple, fuck this "safe-space" bullshit.