Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    Ah. Made it sound like she was the village bicycle or something.
    Sucks for all my ex's tho. All their new boyfriends think they're whores.

Deleted
    Your quote isn't very clear about what exactly is groundbreaking here. Is it the largest one yet found? Is it a new detection method? Is it a significant better/more accurate measurement? Is it an important verification of something?

certainly it's not the biggest, wiki list numerous ones in the tens of billions solar masses.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-05-06 at 01:55 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    http://news.rutgers.edu/news/measuri...017.1459958168
    http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10...017.1459958168

While it's not anything new that there is massive black holes out there, this is still a very important discovery.
    Trying to just imagine the amount of power and the sheer size of an object like this is breathtaking, and makes me ask, what else is out there that we are unaware of?
    It almost makes me want to go back the days with the space race where we pushed ourself for this, it's a shame to see ourself not pushing for space, there is so much to discover out there, so much scientific progress to be had, and while there is progress, so much of budget that goes into other things should be put inn these programs.
    Why explore the universe when we don't even know ourselves?

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Hope it swallows us whole, maby we end up in a different galaxy.
    That's not how black holes work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chitika View Post

That's not how black holes work.
    Nobody knows what really happens in a black hole, especially at the singularity. A lot of math involving black holes involves infinities, and usually when you meet a infinity in physics it means you are wrong.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-05-06 at 02:01 PM.

Deleted
    Inb4 your mom jokes.

Did I make it?

Deleted
    wow this thread went from the intellectual to school boy humour pretty darn quickly, that's mmo for you.

I do agree with the poster above, it's a divide by zero situation

10+ Year Old Account
    Black holes are simple and uncomplicated objects. I would be much more enthusiastic to hear of a discovery of a massive neutron star - now those guys are fascinating.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yogsohot View Post
    wow this thread went from the intellectual to school boy humour pretty darn quickly, that's mmo for you.

I do agree with the poster above, it's a divide by zero situation
    ill divide ur mum by 0

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chitika View Post
    Why explore the universe when we don't even know ourselves?
    Cause exploring the universe would explore ourselves? We don't even know if life exists outside of Earth. If we understand how life gets started, then we can figure ourselves out.

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    Nobody knows what really happens in a black hole, especially at the singularity. A lot of math involving black holes involves infinities, and usually when you meet a infinity in physics it means you are wrong.
    Black holes are most likely just a lot of matter compressed into a small volume. The more mass you have and the less volume it takes up, you'll have a gravitational pull so strong that light won't escape it.

Just to give you an idea, if you replaced the Sun with an equally as massive black hole, the Earth wouldn't notice it. We would still orbit the black hole like we'd orbit the Sun, except we'd die a frozen death since we don't have the life giving sunlight the Sun provides.

We just can't explain what matter must look like in a black hole, and how physics works inside it. We certainly can't explain it mathematically.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    ill divide ur mum by 0
    You can't do that, it would fill the entire universe with mum (x / 0 = infinity).

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    You can't do that, it would fill the entire universe with mum (x / 0 = infinity).
    That's quite a bit of mum. Is your mom a nice lady? My mom is a nice lady...

I wonder if that guys mum is a nice lady?

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Black holes are simple and uncomplicated objects. I would be much more enthusiastic to hear of a discovery of a massive neutron star - now those guys are fascinating.
    there is no such thing as a massive neutron star, they exist between 3 and 1.4 solar masses, as anything much larger becomes a black hole and anything smaller stays as a white dwarf.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeic View Post
    there is no such thing as a massive neutron star, they exist between 3 and 1.4 solar masses, as anything much larger becomes a black hole and anything smaller stays as a white dwarf.
    The mass of the parent star is above 8 Sol though.

I don't buy into their current theories about the universe, black holes, white holes, planets, whatever... . At the moment, our understanding of the cosmos is akin to that of a small infant staring up at her mother.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
    I don't buy into their current theories about the universe, black holes, white holes, planets, whatever... . At the moment, our understanding of the cosmos is akin to that of a small infant staring up at her mother.
    So you think the Titans created it?

15+ Year Old Account
    Or the Old Gods
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeic View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always thought that this requirement only applied to the formation of a neutron star; as it pulls in more material and grows in mass, it might eventually overstep these boundaries without collapsing into a black hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Hope it swallows us whole, maby we end up in a different galaxy.
    We'd turn into fifth dimensional beings with power over space and time.

MURRRRRRPH!
    Putin khuliyo

7+ Year Old Account
    Maybe they are just saying they are skeptical.

They have reason to.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Or the Old Gods
    Yeah, our current Universe was a brain fart of Azathoth's, a single half-lucid moment in his eternal sleep, that spawned all of existence. Also, Blizzard stealing Cthulhu mythos is not appreciated and does not work as an homage.