Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Unfortunately even that piece of shit made 250 millions...triple the budget
    Holy...

Well, basically the Warcraft movie can suck donkeyballs and be a cringeworthy POS, I'd be surprised if it did worse than Pixels with all the marketing...

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I don't think it will, especially since MMORPG is a very niche genre that is just not for everyone. I wouldn't be suprised if most of the mainstream audience didn't even know that the movie is based off a popular video game.
    It's not only niche market, but already have had 100 million players, I really doubt there will be many brand new never played before players coming in, and the few that do, will probably not make it past the free period, since most new players don't anyways.

well, i dont... probably after seeing that movie, more people will quit, but w.e

blizz is giving away free copies of the game, so it might bait a few into playing...

i know i am going to ask someone to buy me tickets at locations with the promotion then set up more multibox accounts with it

If the movie is any good it'll be a boost not just to WoW, but to any fantasy game. MMO or not.

I remember exactly what I did the night after watching the first Lord of the Rings movie.
    I started a new playthrough of Baldur's Gate 2, because at the time that game was the closest game I owned to the fantasy world of Middle Earth. I wanted to spend more time in a world with halflings (hobbits), elves and orcs.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    - Cliché
    - Childish
    - Unrealistic (especially for character development)
    - Predictive

The narrative is forced (hero/general) and this certainly is not limited with WoD. The flow of events feel unnatural and awkward. Garrosh escapes, triggers WoD, then Gul'Dan escapes and triggers Legion. Ad hoc story element put in just to trigger next expansion. Screams "I am a shit story".

If this was a movie, it would, at best, get 5-6 out of 10 from IMDB. This is what we call average and average is not good, it's average.

Blizzard writers/scripters/story designers are highly incompetent, similar to their game designers. During Mists of Pandaria, I wondered how the fuck these incompetent morons were able to create Warcraft Universe. Then I was told that it was simply a Warhammer ripoff. It made sense.
    Are you worried they are gonna put garrisons in the movie? lol, because if they did...I could see failfailfail!
    The upside of wod is the SIDE stories imho, Arakkoas much, for example.
    Sure I agree garry leading to wod, guldan leading to legion seems ad hoc, however, it can also be called 'episodic in nature, with one leading to the next in a fluid progression'. One thing is for sure, the further they get away from Thrall and his babymomma, the better.
    I don't always like what blizz does for a story either, but at least they are willing to mix it up a bit and try new shit, and I sure as hell don't see you writing anything that wins awards, guy...
    lol okay, just kidding on that last part haha
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

Unfortunately even that piece of shit made 250 millions...triple the budget
    It's proof that good marketing can make people buy stupid things.

Just like Aliens: Colonial Marines! : D

In all honesty? I loved LotR...and I wanted to love the Hobbit...and I kinda like it...but boy did have cringeworthy stuff. To the tune of something like 2.5 billions for all three films. So I don't know. There is a lot in the Warcraft trailers that actually looks better than the Hobbit. Plus people like GoT and are starved for a decent fantasy movie. (again, just pulling that info out of my arse)
    Same here really, LotR = I have Blu-Ray extended edition of all 3 movies in a beautiful golden casing on a pride place in my livingroom among other movies I loved enough to collect. The Hobbit movies = I see them again when they rotate onto Netflix...

You're probably right, it's been quite a while since the last Fantasy movie, and Warcraft does offer the full thing in terms of creatures and races and all that jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by creb99 View Post
    I may be in a vast minority here, but no movie ever made me wanting to play a related game. Not Star Wars and SWTOR or Lord of the Rings and LOTRO or Pixels and Pacman

Don't know, maybe it is just me.
    You finally get round to the answer on the final line, YOU not getting into games from a movie does not mean that others will not.
    It will get some into the game, but how many remains to be seen.
    And how many remain.

Forums like this really are not helping the game get new players.
    Look at what they have to wade through before they can actually find any constructive discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graharam View Post
    They should've just rolled with a movie with the graphics of the cinematics.
    I dont enjoy when games turns into movies with an actor portraying a gamecharacter, usually a dead failure.

I'm going to see this movie on the cinema, but I would've seen an animated one aswell.
    I honestly thought the same thing, a cartoonish movie would have been better off in my opinion. But honestly if the story writing is anything similar to the game's, then it is going to be a shit show regardless.

Because they're giving the game away with it

"Average" if done right, can mean gazillions at the box office. To witness: The top three that managed to just pull the right strings with people:

-Titanic
    -Star wars 7

I would almost say that Deadpool making 760 millions is the surprise in recent times...or Maybe Mad Max Fury Road. But really, if you can be REALLY average..you take home the prize

- - - Updated - - -

Well...I would not watch "Candy Crush: The movie" - and giving away the game with it wouldn't convince me either...
    Well, to be fair, it would be more like "oh hey I watched this movie and now they've given me something to play for free. Okay."

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of people have been through the game over the years. That's no mystery. It's likely that many of them might eventually see the movie and think about re-subscribing for old time's sake. That's a win if they buy the expansion. It's another win if they stay for more than a month.

There's no downside at all.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    - Cliché
    - Childish
    - Unrealistic (especially for character development)
    - Predictive
    So like basically every superheroe movie from marvel? yeah they are going downhill for sure

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    I'm fairly sure that there's a trickle of new players all the time, kids didn't stop reaching their teens just because MMO-C became the gathering point of people that fell out of love with Blizzard/WoW... If the movie does well (it doesn't have to be good to do well, see Transformers) and enough people are entertained by it, I'm willing to bet it'll draw in some new blood. Then it'll be on the developer's shoulders to KEEP those players and not repeat WoD all over again...

If the movie bombs, and it has happened before as well despite tons of marketing and special effects, there will still most likely be those that watch the movie, like it (since people like different things) and also have interests in gaming.

Either way I'd say it's pretty safe to assume that it'll draw in SOME new blood.

...What's going on? Why is Mark Kern referred to as someone worth taking seriously when it comes to business predictions and decisions?
    I feel the same way. Mark Kern is a burn out. A failure. He got handed a ton of cash and basically Johnny Manziel'd his company until he was forced to leave.

I have two daughters who are teenagers. Most of their friends who played WoW already went through the game and either quit or burned out. The people who haven't think it's a dumb game. But the movie might draw in the nostalgia of previous players just enough to buy Legion and then quit a couple months later.

On the other hand the movie might bring in new blood as WoW attempts to branch out their franchise outside of the MMO.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

It may bring some new players, but not much.

I have no intention of watching the Warcraft movie.

In fact, as a rule I tend to avoid movies based on video games - they usually suck...

if they wanted to bring in people with the movie, they should have had the fucking movie follow the goddamn lore.

i'd watch it if it followed the lore instead of being this "ultimate universe" style shit.

Is that actually worldwide now? Because I thought it was just some promotion of a french cinema chain...
    So far it's just the French one, but I doubt Blizzard will exclude it from most regions where the promotion would be legal. Especially because of those unique transmog items.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    if they wanted to bring in people with the movie, they should have had the fucking movie follow the goddamn lore.

i'd watch it if it followed the lore instead of being this "ultimate universe" style shit.
    Why would it matter to someone who hasn't got the slightest clue of the lore to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    Why would it matter to someone who hasn't got the slightest clue of the lore to begin with?
    if they're going to get into the game, you'd have to have an interest in the lore.

why the fuck would you get into a fantasy game and not care about it's lore? it's stupid.