Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgarw View Post
    Can you Americans explain to me why you are using the word Hispanic for the Mexican people?
    Hispanic and Latino/Latina are used in the U.S. Census as catch-all categories for anyone who traces their ancestry to a primarily Spanish-speaking country. While conventionally neither includes people of direct Spanish ancestry, like myself, officially those terms do apply. The U.S. Census office will say I'm Hispanic/Latino because my grandfather emigrated to the U.S. from Spain, but if I tell someone of Central/South American ancestry that I'm Hispanic/Latino, they'd probably have words with me. And they'd both be right.

It's complicated. It gets even more complicated when it comes to people of Brazilian/Portuguese ancestry; officially they are not Hispanic, but unofficially it depends on who you ask.

Up to the 1970s, people of Central/South American ancestry were considered white by the government, but considered something else (and usually an inferior "something else") by the public at large. The term Hispanic was added to the 1980 census by activists who wanted to create a pan-ethnic identity to rally around, given that, internally, they typically identified themselves by their ancestral nationality (Mexican, Cuban, Puerto Rican, Dominican, etc) and Spanish-language TV and radio ran ads with prominent celebrities encouraging people of Central/South American ancestry to register as Hispanic on the census:

Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    Trump is racist against Hispanics because he's freekin racist against Hispanics. Now I don't know if he truly is a racist or that he just saw it as a convenient way to make a power play for the republican nomination, or both, but at this point I don't care. He's damned himself by the tactics he has used in my eyes and going by the polls in something like 2/3 of the population. I do have to give him credit for one thing though, hes brought it all out in the open. No more racist republican dog-whistles but a full on bull-horn that can be heard by all, except those, like you, that don't want to hear. He's also made it abundantly clear that although not all republicans are racists there are a whole heck of a lot of them that are. Now I am sure you'll just deny all this, but it matters not because that racism is extremely obvious to all and you denying it won't change what everyone else sees.
    Proof? You know something like a direct quote not taken out of context or something along those lines.

Deleted
    just like he loves the uneducated. patronising prick.

Quote Originally Posted by bollocks View Post
    None is opposing the idea of tougher migration policies that at the same time prohibit illegals and facilitate the process for legals. That is the ideal and that what has been proposed by many candidates, just check the Miami democrat debate in which both Hillary and Bernie proposed their takes on that ideal. However what Trump considers tougher immigration policies are just absurd, its just like using a canon to kill a mosquito. The idea of a wall on itself is absurd and does little to stop the remaining 50% of illegal immigrants.

But I'm getting Off topic, the reason I consider Trump racist (according to law in bolivia biased attitudes(discrimination) towards people for their nationality is considered racism so bare with me on this) is due to one specific point that he made in his speech:

- Claiming that only mexican illegal inmigrants are rapist and the usual slur he spits from his mouth, which implies that MEXICAN illegal inmigrants are the ones that commit more crimes; which has been disproved http://www.pbs.org/newshour/videos/#149597 btw, up to my knowledge he is yet to refer other groups when at least the other 50% of illegal immigrants do not belong to mexico.
    He didn't claim that all immigrants are rapists (that would be racist) he claimed that some rapist and criminals cross the border (which is true (we have caught some of them). That is true and not racist. Whether illegal immigrants commit more crimes or not is a moot point. I don't want any criminals comming over the border at all (for whatever reason).

In truth, the countries current immigration system is what is discriminatory. Why do some people (the ones doing it legally) have to wait and line, pay money, pass tests and jump through hoops while others can just walk across.... Seems discriminatory to the people that have to wait in line..

Deleted
    I just wonder how many "takes" they did before they got that picture

It really is a fantastic picture, look how well staged and framed it is, with all the accessories, the open drawer, the carefully studied newspapers under the plate etc

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    He didn't claim that all immigrants are rapists (that would be racist) he claimed that some rapist and criminals cross the border (which is true (we have caught some of them). That is true and not racist. Whether illegal immigrants commit more crimes or not is a moot point. I don't want any criminals comming over the border at all (for whatever reason).

In truth, the countries current immigration system is what is discriminatory. Why do some people (the ones doing it legally) have to wait and line, pay money, pass tests and jump through hoops while others can just walk across.... Seems discriminatory to the people that have to wait in line..
    It doesn't happen. The reason why the current administration has been accepting and legalizing existing illegal inmigrants, its because the task of deporting them all would be near impossible and the consequences would be far worse than the benefits, but that is off topic. Nonetheless Trump said the majority of mexican illegal inmigrants are criminals, rapists, etc and then he added the disclosure some.

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

It doesn't happen. The reason why the current administration has been accepting and legalizing existing illegal inmigrants, its because the task of deporting them all would be near impossible and the consequences would be far worse than the benefits, but that is off topic. Nonetheless Trump said the majority of mexican illegal inmigrants are criminals, rapists, etc and then he added the disclosure some.
    So, if you actually read the quote, he is saying that Mexico is not sending its most successful people. Do you think that is a lie? Do you think the really successful doctors, lawyers, business men are the ones crossing the border? Do you? Obviously (and I do mean really obviously) it is the people that are struggling that are crossing the border (else, why would they leave their home to go somewhere else?). That is all really obvious, unless you think that really successful people that are doing well in Mexico are the ones giving up their successful life to cross the border. You might be alone in that thinking....

It is well established, through documentation, that some people crossing the border are criminals, rapists and bringing drugs. They have been caught in the US, so it is basically established fact.

So what was racist or false about this quote?

So, if you actually read the quote, he is saying that Mexico is not sending its most successful people. Do you think that is a lie?
    Yes, because Mexico isn't sending anyone. People are coming here of their own accord, and there's no evidence to suggest that the people who are coming here are more prone to criminality than either immigrants from other countries or American citizens.

Characterizing Mexican immigrants as an organized, invading army of rapists and drug dealers is not just insulting and xenophobic, it's also idiotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Slybak View Post
    Yes, because Mexico isn't sending anyone. People are coming here of their own accord, and there's no evidence to suggest that the people who are coming here are more prone to criminality than either immigrants from other countries or American citizens.

Characterizing Mexican immigrants as an organized, invading army of rapists and drug dealers is not just insulting and xenophobic, it's also idiotic.
    He is not characterizing them as an army of rapist, etc. He is just saying that when you have a porous border- criminals use the opportunity to cross and flee justice. This is a well established fact. He even went as far to say that some are good people, just so the really slow, uneducated people in our country would understand...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by twistedsista View Post
    just like he loves the uneducated. patronising prick.
    I am sure you love the "uneducated" and I bet you do a lot everyday in your life to help them.

Score another point against political correctness. The tweet came and went and Team SJW was out doing laundry. That, if anything, is someone to value.

Quote Originally Posted by Slybak View Post

The government is not sending anyone. But they are printing pamphlets that explain how to cross over and get social services. How different is that from "sending?" Once again, in what quote did Trump refer to them as an "army of rapist." Think you are alone in that.

Who does not like tacos?

Deleted
    Can I just ask alll people who are anti trump...

What is wrong with deporting illegal immigrants?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    We are all liars... Especially those who tell you they do not lie...

With her, it's not that she is a liar, but that she is Contrived... Conniving... Conspiring... Panderer...

And Trump isn't?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Who does not like tacos?
    never had one.

How insulting.

I been to the Trump Grill, don't recall taco salads being on the menu.

What absurdity.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedsista View Post
    never had one.
    Try it I have it once a week, it's cheep and easy to make.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rougle View Post
    Can I just ask alll people who are anti trump...

What is wrong with deporting illegal immigrants?
    There are what millions of immigrants?, how do you plan to achieve to deport millions?

And no, none are saying there is nothing wrong in deporting them.
    And no, none are oposing for better immigration laws
    What people are against is the solution Trump proposes which makes no sense, a wall like seriously and does he really expects mexico to pay for it. Mexico won't pay for that shit and the wall will be constructed with your money more than 25 billion dollars and that is just the construction to mantain the wall and for it to be effective it will cost many billions more. In addition to the damage that will be done to the ecosystem and the many laws that will be broken just to be build it. And no this wall is on a different magnitude than the fence that the US currently has
    Last edited by Bollocks; 2016-05-07 at 01:04 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Try it I have it once a week, it's cheep and easy to make.
    i might just do that

- - - Updated - - -

There are what millions of immigrants?, how do you plan to achieve to deport millions?
    And no, none are saying there is nothing wrong in deporting them.
    And no, none are oposing for better immigration laws
    What people are against is the solution Trump proposes which makes no sense, a wall like seriously and does he really expects mexico to pay for it. Mexico won't pay for that shit and the wall will be constructed with your money more than 25 billion dollars and that is just the construction to mantain the wall and for it to be effective it will cost many billions more. In addition to the damage that will be done to the ecosystem and the many laws that will be broken just to be build it. And no this wall is on a different magnitude than the fence that the US currently has
    http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...n-laws/387004/

it'll never happen.

The government is not sending anyone. But they are printing pamphlets that explain how to cross over and get social services.
    No they aren't. Various provincial offices in Mexico offer guidance on how to legally emigrate to the United States, and warn of the legal and safety risks of entering into the United States without a valid passport and visa. The "Illegal Immigrant Brochures" nonsense was a concoction of a right-wing congressman a decade ago.