Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think it might be cheaper for the government to monitor people, is if instead of some complicated scheme to hide it or denounce it while doing.... They just gave everyone a web cam... Willful surrender of privacy, is so much more effective than forced.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    When I got punched, it didn't make the sound that you hear in movies.
    Yep, assault is not like the movies. It's weird and fucked up and there's lots of crying, like in the tape.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I dont see anything wrong with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wazzbo View Post
    Luckily, there are some countries which have very well defined laws (as you seem to be so strictly bound by then, I hope you know all of them on your day to day life). For example, BDSM here never falls under domestic violence or assault.
    BDSM doesn't fall under domestic violence or assault here either, assuming consent is clearly outlined (as it needs to be considering the nature of BDSM).

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Yea, that is why I said it was misogynistic and problematic. The word choices used in this thread reveal some fairly low class beliefs.
    Yes, this thread is rather amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    Sometimes women cry, only to moments later feel all content and satisfied about the fact they've been made to cry by their man...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Actually it is several other people's business, that is why we have domestic violence laws where abusive partners can be prosecuted regardless of whether the partner in question tries to excuse away their partner's behavior.

- - - Updated - - -

It also implies women are puny and weak in comparison to men.
    they are

physically speaking at least

Try to form your own opinions instead of pretending what the law does or doesn't say. The cops already replied to the situation that they couldn't conclude there was a victim, so no charges. Ergo, the woman needs to file charges if she feels she is abused.
    The article said that it is under investigation currently and they need to identify a victim. In most states you do not need to have a victim file charges in order for assault charges to occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    I don't care what the law says, if you hit me I'll hit you back.
    Well it's your life, you can get yourself an assault charge if you really want.

Says who?

People are getting pretty tired of that kind of reasoning. Pretty damn exhausted actually.
    Didn't your parents teach you that?

Well, the answer is the law.

The article said that it is under investigation currently and they need to identify a victim. In most states you do not need to have a victim file charges in order for assault charges to occur.
    Yeah I think the state prosecutes assault as it's a criminal charge, but you can separately pursue damages or whatever in a civil trial.

- - - Updated - - -

You know, you keep talking the law not going away just because you don't like it. But you know what is even more persistent than laws?

Reality.

Reality doesn't change just because you don't like it.
    What reality? That some people hit back and then get charged with assault?

And in the meantime Winter Blossom posted a more current article with a reply from the police declaring the footage isn't enough to decide wether there /is/ a victim or not. In other words if the woman doesn't feel wronged, the cops say they can't do anything.
    No. Your misunderstanding of the article/law is astounding...the article says they need to *identify* a victim, not that if they find the woman and the woman doesn't feel wronged that the cops can't do anything.

You should elevate yourself out of the stone age and read up on the legal statues that you so vehemently despise.

You're just talking out of your ass. Maybe instead of talking about legal statutes you should learn the basics of reading:

"The police also said the recording by itself isn’t enough to charge him, they need to make sure there is a victim."

Being able to misunderstand /that/, that is what is astounding here. Nothing else.
    Nooooo shit. Your lack of understanding is your implication that:

In other words if the woman doesn't feel wronged, the cops say they can't do anything.
    As stated several times in this thread already.

Yeah so he most definitely raped her in this. She's yelling and crying while he calls her a slut then you hear shaking and skin clapping. RIP his career and freedom hopefully.

As for who started it, it doesn't fucking matter. He took it way too far, and "I was drunk" is never an excuse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Proper investigation is the best way to handle this. The comments "Let her beat you" Are fucking stupid.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    We care because it shouldn't happen. There's no reason to beat someone up because they hit you out of anger. Be the bigger person and walk away. I hope he loses any friends he had over this. Fucking coward.
    Yeah and one weasel was wrapping chocolate in tinfoil.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you for fucking real right now.

No one is allowed or entitled to hit back when someone hits them, you are allowed legally in most Western countries to defend yourself using the amount of force that is necessary to defend oneself. Getting a smack in the face (assault) does not mean you get to go ham on the person who smacked you, that is ALSO assault.

TL,DR: two wrongs don't make a right, dropping elementary school-level knowledge in this thread.

Christ, off-topic manages to sink to new lows on a regular basis...
    If she hits me shes fair game.
    Simple as if she can act like a ape so can i.
    And so did he.

Your point again is where?
    Every one is allowed to fight back just because the other person might not be as tuff as the one defending him self.
    Well hard stuff should of tough about that before you engaged him.

Most elementary school teachings are just that Elementary aka bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well thats shitty of them.

I'm all for the police investigating this and while I think this is extremely fucked up, some women literally do enjoy being treated like this. Case in point: I doubt this is the first time the guy did something like this. The reality is though this type of situation won't get better until the woman wants it to, meaning she's got to get out of there and report it to the police.

Deleted
    Must be lonely up there pretending to have the moral high ground.

The point about the kids is very simple. Would you still feel sorry for the mother if she doesn't speak up about her kids being abused because she is afraid herself? I wouldn't. Time to stop coddling people. She is a grown-ass adult, she needs to realize that, if she needs help she needs to go get it, else it's still once again nobody's business.

Stop seeing abuse everywhere, just because you hear a woman wailing.
    Moral high ground = basic level of empathy and humanity.

It must be nice in that black and white unnuanced world you live in, shame its a fiction and the rest of us live in the real one. Instead of blaming the woman in the situation you outline, I'd support her and help her and her kids. You see I recognise that blaming victims, people in intolerable situtations, for not being brave is just being a fucking moron, who does not understand what bravery is.

I'm guessing you are either socially retarded, or lack life experience. Because otherwise you are just a despicable human being by choice.

Deleted
    Don't know what to make of this. Everyone is pulling conclusions when all we've got is a shitty audio with 90% being inaudible words and a lot of screams and shout.
    And everyone is coming down on the guy even though we don't know anything.

- Yes she is screaming and yelling, but some women use that very skillfully to be seen as victims while they started fucking things up. I've seen woman hit first, then do that exact thing when the guy fights back.
    - We can also hear him insulting her over and over so he's clearly guilty of something.
    - How can people say she is being raped when you got no video, and can only hear screams?

All we have is a shit audio, and a man that claims "she hit me first". Let the investigation do their job before casting the first stone. She might have started it the fight, he might have been to far, he might have raped her, she might be exagerating. We know nothing, yet the man is already guilty of everything. Men and women are different, we each have our weapons, yet people forget that easily.

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    I'm all for the police investigating this and while I think this is extremely fucked up, some women literally do enjoy being treated like this. Case in point: I doubt this is the first time the guy did something like this. The reality is though this type of situation won't get better until the woman wants it to, meaning she's got to get out of there and report it to the police.
    Just because she hasn't left yet doesn't mean she enjoys it...wtf?

There could be a myriad of reasons why she hasn't left. Perhaps she has nowhere to go, or feels trapped due to economic conditions. Maybe she's become desensitized to the abuse and now thinks she deserves the treatment, or that it's normal. The couple also apparently has children, which may make it more difficult for her to leave.

Claiming "she must enjoy it if she's still there" smacks of victim-blaming.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTophat View Post
    The thing I don't understand is why this incident is worthy of the attention it has supposedly gained. I'm probably just desensitized but the video consists of an unreadable stream chat and the audio isn't even all that shocking in regards to content. He drunk rants, hits her, she cries and screams and that's about it. It's obviously awful that it happened to her but beyond the video being safe for work enough to post on articles and the audio being shocking enough to unsettle people who've never had to endure cases of prolonged domestic violence I just don't see the draw.
    I grew up in an environment where there was prolonged domestic violence and I found the audio disturbing. Not really sure what your point is otherwise..."I don't find it shocking"? Maybe you lack empathy.

In any case, it hasn't generated as much attention as you claim, it's not trending anywhere outside of youtube and a couple of websites from what I have seen.

- - - Updated - - -

You wouldn't do jackshit. You're sitting on a forum acting tough, acting like the shining knight nobody is interested in, especially not the woman you're pretending to protect. And just like social media you won't do anything but spout endless abuse instead of actually in fact helping the possible or imagined victim.
    Apparently people are doing jackshit since someone uploaded the audio and the case is being investigated. You mad?

Just because she hasn't left yet doesn't mean she enjoys it...wtf?

There could be a myriad of reasons why she hasn't left. Perhaps she has nowhere to go, or feels trapped due to economic conditions. Maybe she's become desensitized to the abuse and now thinks she deserves the treatment, or that it's normal. The couple also apparently has children, which may make it more difficult for her to leave.

Claiming "she must enjoy it if she's still there" smacks of victim-blaming.
    I assumed this was in the US, but there's always places to go, in particular battered women's shelters. And I didn't say for sure she enjoys it but a lot of women in this type of situation do, for reasons that are very very bizarre but rest assured are real. If she has a kid then it's even more important that she takes action though, as the kid is likely prone to being abused too, and probably is experiencing psychological issues over this.