Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Risale View Post
    Yes it is a vegan burger I saw that, it was cooked up in a lab, it use nutrient paste and to make that taste go away the have to season it so much or it would taste like something my cat throws up every so often.
    People from MIT (these people are actual scientists, like some of the smartest folks on earth) went to the actual lab & production place of this so called veggie burger was designed and is produced.
    The method they described on how it gets produced is not unlike how a chicken mcnugget gets made, the main difference being that here the paste is white and not pink like the mcnugget.
    And? You cried about B12. Now you're crying about the taste of something you never tried.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    I'm asking you to quote which parts of the studies are conflicting with my assertions. All I'm seeing is a bunch of self-nullifying epidemiological benefits and some actual data on vitamin deficiencies. I have a feeling you're dancing around the topic because you have nothing.
    You read the abstract and that is all. Im not going to go quote an article that you linked but didnt bother to read.

Here, Ill link some stuff:

PCRM
    http://www.pcrm.org/clinical/publications

Entire page of peer reviewed studies on vegan/vegetarian diets and showing how they are better. PCRM has sued the USDA and many Meat and Dairy companies. They have actually had the food guide pyramid or whatever it is called now a days changed twice to add more fruits and vegetables.

Dr McDougall
    https://www.drmcdougall.com/

He has so many peer reviewed studies it makes me sick to even try and link them. He also was the creator of SB 380 which requires physicians in CA to actually learn about nutrition, because quite honestly, none of them know anything about diet and nutrition.

ftp://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/b...sen_floor.html

Dr Greger
    nutritionfacts.org

This guys entire website is nothing but peer reviewed studies

There are tons more out there. Dr Esselstyn, Walter Kempner who cured all kinds of ailments with his Rice diet. Nathan Pritikin, who wasnt vegan but did advocate plant based diet as a cure to many ailments. Tons more that I can mention. The thing is the Meat and Dairy industry control the information, control most of the studies and control all of you too.
    Last edited by Xirrohon; 2016-05-10 at 02:04 AM.

Yes - and his point was that you're going to extreme lengths to patch up a diet that is insufficient for human health, even going to far as to mimic meat with your foods.

- - - Updated - - -

Extreme lengths??!?!?!?!??!?! What in the hairy fuck are you talking about? There's not a single thing we eat in modern society that isn't processed, chemically sprayed, complicated, etc.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Dudes, we're trying to save this damn planet, stop eating the oxygen-factories. Go shoot an herbivore and eat the thing, do you even know the oxygen-deficit they are producing every day? It takes some serious breathing effort to process all that cellulose.

In seriousness, do whatever you like. Regarless of being vegan/omnivore you can live long enough to inevitably die of cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    Hey guys,

Someone on my Facebook who recently linked an article on ways to go vegan. The article is old but it kind of made me want to try a vegan diet. I also watched some videos and saw how bad animals are treated. I want to live longer, have more energy and help the environment and my body, any tips on how to start a vegan diet?
    Cut your balls and eat them with a salad

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    And? You cried about B12. Now you're crying about the taste of something you never tried.
    No you said B12 doesn't come from animal protein, I proved you wrong as did The Vegan Society.

As I said in an earlier post I like a balanced meal so meat & vedge, both not one over the other both I also eat fruit and drink milk.

My post about the scientist from MIT (you know smartest people on the planet) said that this burger (granted looks awesome on the picture) is just as manufactured as a chicken mcnugget (which are bloody horrible).

I am not crying you are deflecting and doing that post after post without any real results.
    Want to play SWTOR again and get 7 free days of subscription access + free ingame goodies: http://www.swtor.com/r/d5LnJT

I'm saying that people with severe B12 deficiencies used to die - and they still do in many parts of the world, where they are forced to eat vegan diets because they don't have access to animal products.
    Good thing all of the people in a developed world arent being killed by their diet. Oh wait...

No you said B12 doesn't come from animal protein, I proved you wrong as did The Vegan Society.

As I said in an earlier post I like a balanced meal so meat & vedge, both not one over the other both I also eat fruit and drink milk.

My post about the scientist from MIT (you know smartest people on the planet) said that this burger (granted looks awesome on the picture) is just as manufactured as a chicken mcnugget (which are bloody horrible).

I am not crying you are deflecting and doing that post after post without any real results.
    No you didn't and no they didn't.

B12 in a vegan burger....what magic is this........

Quote Originally Posted by Xirrohon View Post
    Good thing all of the people in a developed world arent being killed by their diet. Oh wait...
    Mass starvation, mass exodus to the west, shorter life spans then us here in the west.
    Look we can all go back and forth on this until we are old and grey and we will not be making any fucking difference.

The OP asked about veganism and some responded with wisecracks and some being pro and some con to the whole idea.
    I myself believe that there must be a balance in your diet so meat & vedge.
    Want to play SWTOR again and get 7 free days of subscription access + free ingame goodies: http://www.swtor.com/r/d5LnJT

That's not what this recent meta-analysis suggests. Or what this 2016 intervention study suggests. Oh, and what about this recent story, showing that unpublished data from a decades-old study annihilates the supposed beneficial effects of switching out animal fats for vegetable oils?
    Vegetable oils? Who said those were good for you? The diet im talking about doesnt use oils of any kind

- - - Updated - - -

I myself believe that there must be a balance in your diet so meat & vedge.
    And... many people disagree with you. So what?

No you didn't and no they didn't.

B12 in a vegan burger....what magic is this........
    Use google ffs.
    B12 in vegan burger yes ofcourse, b12 added from test tube again learn to use google.

Yes it is a vegan burger I saw that, it was cooked up in a lab, it use nutrient paste and to make that taste go away the have to season it so much or it would taste like something my cat throws up every so often.
    People from MIT (these people are actual scientists, like some of the smartest folks on earth) went to the actual lab & production place of this so called veggie burger was designed and is produced.
    The method they described on how it gets produced is not unlike how a chicken mcnugget gets made, the main difference being that here the paste is white and not pink like the mcnugget.
    If youre going to actually eat plant based, you stay away from processed food. You can easily make a black bean veggie burger with natural ingredients:

Black Beans
    Oatmeal
    Rice
    Corn
    Water
    Seasonings

That will make you a black bean burger thats better than the processed veggie burger. Again, the idea is stay away from processed stuff as much as possible. Im not a fan of the vegan processed foods. Not very good and usually not very nutrient dense.

Use google ffs.
    B12 in vegan burger yes ofcourse, b12 added from test tube again learn to use google.
    Yes, you will have to supplement B12 as a vegan. This has been discussed in depth already. I dont get your point. Animals dont make B12, its made from the bacteria thats in the soil on the plants that they eat. You even qouted this.
    Last edited by Xirrohon; 2016-05-10 at 02:22 AM.

Use google ffs.
    I have used it...numerous times and on this very topic.

You should really learn where B12 actually comes from.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xirrohon View Post
    If youre going to actually eat plant based, you stay away from processed food. You can easily make a black bean veggie burger with natural ingredients:

Black Beans
    Oatmeal
    Rick
    Corn
    Water
    Seasonings

That will make you a black bean burger thats better than the processed veggie burger. Again, the idea is stay away from processed stuff as much as possible. Im not a fan of the vegan processed foods. Not very good and usually not very nutrient dense.
    I hope everyone sees the difference here.

This ^ person eats a plant based diet. they are not vegan. Being vegan means you live a vegan life style which includes eating a plant based diet but also other things like not using leather for example. Vegans are vegan for ethics and plant based food people do it for "health". They are as similar as a burger flipper is to a chef.

Also, case in point, this person believes processed food that is literally purposely filled with nutrients, has less nutrients than their recipe.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Veggie Burgers are oxymoronic.

I doubt they taste like burgers.

any tips on how to start a vegan diet?
    A good start is to tell everyone you're vegan.
    Chicken fried rice is delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by sweatshopkids View Post
    A good start is to tell everyone you're vegan.
    Good one. OP also does crossfit, he should tell people he does that too. I think I read that and your quote somewhere before...

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Veggie Burgers are oxymoronic.

I doubt they taste like burgers.
    If you're gonna play, then try harder

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you're gonna play, then try harder
    Well, do they taste like burgers? Or are they an abortion of an attempt to replicate burgers without burger meat?

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Well, do they taste like burgers? Or are they an abortion of an attempt to replicate burgers without burger meat?
    They are close.

I was a serious meateater for a lot of years. I won't lie, most faux meat is not indistinguishable form the real thing. There are few things, but most isn't. Having said that, I've had many meat burgers in my day that were further away from good then many of these faux things are now.

The one I linked is my favorite. I make it with a faux bacon (which tastes like crispy Sizzlean if anyone remembers that) and faux provolone (which tastes exactly like the real thing) and real Sonny's Sweet BBQ sauce.
    Last edited by Bodakane; 2016-05-10 at 02:37 AM.

I want to live longer, have more energy and help the environment and my body, any tips on how to start a vegan diet?
    Plenty of online sources, easy to do a google search and find millions of ways.

As for your comments, just want to clear them up;

- There aren't really that many studies that show that vegans or vegetarians live longer than their meat eating counter parts. There are studies that show that vegans and vegetarians may live longer than meat eaters who eat to excess though that may just be correlation, not causation.
    - The more energy, again is 100% subjective. Frequently, the people that are switching diets are switching from a diet in which they weren't watching what they were eating to one where they have to. As a result, those people feel like they have more energy. At the end of the day, energy is just calories.
    - Veganism isn't better, in fact may be worse for the environment. Suddenly going vegan isn't going to keep the animal population in check, and in the end will result in the need to cull all those animals, especially cows, which are one of the biggest producers of methane and greenhouse gas out there. If people weren't eating them, they'd have to be killed. Likewise cattle reside on lands and eat crops of which humans can't consume. That means for vegetarians and vegans, they are spending more and more in terms of fossil fuels to get their foods to their tables.
    - Vegans also have to eat more. Sure, 100 calories of broccoli have more protein than 100 calories of steak. The rub is, for the steak, you're eating 1.5 oz. For 100 calories of broccoli, I hope you enjoy it because you've got to eat 5 cups of it. Meat is far and away more calorie dense and comes with loads of other benefits.

So sure, if you're all about going vegan, go for it, but realize that a modest omnivorous diet is better for everything, earth, body, and mind. Be prepared though, you're going to need to take a lot of supplements because you can't get what you need just from plants.

Vitamin B12, important to nerve function, red blood cell development, and normal brain function is almost non existent in the plant world.
    Creatine, important for muscle growth and maintenance is another absent nutrient.
    Vitamin D3, important for bone strength, prevention of cancer, heart disease, and depression is found only in meat. There is a substitute in veggies called D2, but it's far inferior.
    Carnosine, DHA, heme-iron, Taurine, and others just aren't found in the quantities needed for humans in a vegetable only diet.

I'm not saying don't go for it, but be aware, it isn't easy.