Poll: Was this information helpful?

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb 13 tips: A basic guide to enjoy your vacation in the Broken Isles.

Hello!
    Below is an edited transcript of my latest video. Good timing with the Beta launching this Thursday!

TL;DR - Video link is the top link of my sig.
    TL;DW -
    1. Start in Azsuna (if you care about primary professions)
    2. Don’t start in Azsuna (otherwise)
    3. Complete gathering profession quests asap
    4. Don’t use taxis too much, too early
    5. Recommend 680ilvl for your main/alts
    6. Use your map less when questing
    7. You don't have to jump straight to heroics/raids at max level
    8. Take your time/consider Suramar low priority
    9. Don’t trip about Order Hall missions
    10. But do maintain Order Hall research
    11. Kill (almost) everything
    12. Grouping is really efficient
    13. Help friendly players thanks to mob tap changes

Hi
    I’ve been in the alpha for a while. I’ve made a few max level characters. I’ve messed with most of the game systems. WIth a more research I can probably write up a detailed guide on how to optimize your early experience in Legion.
    I won’t. especially because we’re still 4 months away from launch.

But I can go over some general tips for when you’re out there in the broken isles. Legion like every other expansion has a lot of the same, you level, you gear up and then do whatever like go to dungeons, get ready for raiding, start pvping and whatever.
    But there have been big changes and additions to point out that justifies these tips in the first place. Let’s get started.

1. As soon as you complete the starting experience on the broken shore, then complete your first artifact quest, you can choose which zone you want to go to first. For most non gathering professions, start in azsuna. Legion professions involve questing in a big way, and they typically direct you to azsuna first. Eventually you’ll end up traveling to each island in order to complete your recipe list. Heck you’ll end up having to do a lot of content to complete your recipe list, including maxing reputations and even raiding. But if you want to get a bit of a head start, kick it off in azsuna.

2. Everyone else, maybe stay the hell away from azsuna. A lot of the players who’re trying to quickly jumpstart their professions will be going there, so going somewhere else might be a good idea. IMO, highmountain’s branching quests give you the most options on where to go so if one area looks like it’s a bit too crowded, you can take on other questlines in the zone. Or realm hop addon if it still works by the time legion goes live.

3. Gatherers, complete your quests sooner rather than later. While picking or mining or skinning, you’ll receive breadcrumb quests that you’re better off turning in sooner rather than slacking off. Turning these in will give you an upgrade to your gathering mastery, which will get you more resources per node, so turn these in at your closest opportunity.

4. Flight points have gotten pretty convenient in Legion. The notion of not having flight points connected to each other doesn’t happen in the broken isles. Flight points that aren’t discovered just act as a waypoint until you discover it.
    That said, don’t get too accustomed to using flight points to get around, at least not early on. There’re a lot of rare mobs, gathering nodes and treasures you’ll overlook. Exploring these inbetween areas will contribute to the pathfinder meta as well.

5. If you have alts, get them to a minimum item level of 680. Tuning is still going on, but current alpha characters start at this item level and some of the starting artifact quests can get a little hairy. Use every cheap advantage you can get, including the legendary ring and heirloom trinkets.

6. Look at your map less. While you’re questing, you don’t want to just point your character in the direction of the objective and gun it. There’s a high probability that you’ll pass by a lot of stuff. Aside from how cool and detailed the broken isles look, there’s treasure hiding all over the place. It won’t have that warlords feel; you won’t be doing tightroping or any excessive climbing. It’s as easy as turning left instead of right at a corridor. Search a small building or cave. Look under that ledge or behind the quest mob you just killed. It’s much easier. And rares are dotted all over the place, with drops that, from what I’ve seen, are usually set for your class and spec, and scale to your level. They could be bind on equip, too. Finding treasure will feel a lot more natural in Legion, so play naturally. Explore. You’re rewarded for doing it.

Or avoid all rares and treasures till max level! Those things could drop gear for a 100 or 110 character; just depends on what level you happen to be at the time. Personally I don’t think it’s optimal, but hey, knock yourself out. There’s no need to rush.
    Trust me. There’s really no need to rush.

7. The “race” to max level ain’t what it used to be.
    That is, reaching 110 doesn’t mean you drop what you’re doing and immediately start progressing to dungeon heroics and beyond. In earlier expansions this was the standard practice because it was the most efficient route to take. Why do leveling quests for crappy gear to vendor?
    In Legion, not so much. At 110, every quest on the broken isles is considered a max level quest, including gear rewards that can have that random item level upgrade. On top of that, we now know that completing all questlines will take us closer to having a faster mount speed in the broken isles as well as pathfinder achievement.
    A lot does open up at 110, including heroic dungeons, Suramar, raids and world quests. What’s different is that quests aren’t a thing to just leave behind anymore.

8. Speaking of Suramar, take your time with it, especially if you’re the type who wants to power up quickly. Suramar’s questline doesn’t over a similar reward structure like the other islands do. There is gear and artifact power to be found, as well as crafting materials. But if you want to maximize your AP gain, you’re better off saving Suramar for after you complete all other quests.

9. Don’t sweat over order hall missions. Progressing your champions is a really slow process, you don’t want to have the mindset of powerleveling your champions as fast as you yourself are. There aren’t any short missions and this time around, the rewards are more relative to the gameplay you put into it, as in it’s not a big deal to skip. Use the table for the order hall campaign, to unlock your artifact weapon quests and if you have a useful champion, take em with you while questing; they’re pretty nifty.
    But when you see that a mission is complete, you won’t have to drop everything and head back to your table. In Legion, order hall tables are hardly your biggest priority.

10. Order hall research though, is pretty important. Keep order hall research going constantly. You have an Order Advancement tree that offers some pretty nifty benefits, including the ability to increase the number of legendary gear you can wear from 1 to 2. Each level of research takes up a pretty large amount of order hall resources and time, with each level requiring more and more of each. You basically want to acquire resources faster than it takes to complete each research level, and some excess in case you want to change your research later on.

11. Kill almost everything you see
    Arguably, the biggest source of artifact power will be from things you kill. If you see an opportunity to kill a bunch of stuff easily, take it. You’ll want every drop of AP you can get.

Be careful though. Elite mobs are back. In every zone there are 110 elites here and there, sometimes in the middle of busy questing areas.

12. Group a lot. Artifact power is a personal drop, so there’s no harm in getting a buddy or five and going scorched earth on everything that moves.

13. Even if you’re not in a group, if you see a friendly player fighting, help them out anyway. In legion, up to five players can tap the same mob and all five of you will have an opportunity to loot or get kill credit if you’re questing. Pretty neat that the whole idea of competing for kills is becoming less and less of a thing.

Very nice ty for sharing, u have any more deep info about fast leveling?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
    Very nice ty for sharing, u have any more deep info about fast leveling?
    Heavy questing would do it. I don't put an emphasis on racing speed but my last run was a pretty straightforward quest run (zero dungeons) and got 14 hours.
    This is with little to no profession questing and alpha-level traffic.
    But there's sort of a difference between raw speed and efficiency. Once you hit 110 and all quests, treasures and rares are considered max level, if you're also shooting for pathfinder, you might as well just keep on questing.

What about bonus objectives is it still a thing and does it give a lot of exp? And does collecting treasure give exp?
    Also what zone would u recommend to start in judging by placed that will be swarmed at launch?
    Last edited by Spoonman; 2016-05-10 at 09:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
    What about bonus objectives is it still a thing and does it give a lot of exp? And does collecting treasure give exp?
    Also what zone would u recommend to start in judging by placed that will be swarmed at launch?
    Late reply. Sorry! Keep in mind that some of my tips are outdated, and a follow up video is expected later tonight or tomorrow.

Bonus objectives give approximately 45k xp, and treasure does give xp as well, in the thousands.
    As for the recommended starting zone, see tips 1 and 2.

Deleted
    Many of your tips are flat out misinformed or wrong. For example if I'm questing for level 110 and you're randomly shooting at my mob, you're stealing half of my experience for that mob. If a mob is a rare and you shoot it once for the tag, you're giving it 50% more hp.

While quest rewards scale upwards, a lvl 110 normal quest isn't going to have the same reach as item dropped in heroic(825+) or mythic dungeons(840+). There is a chance in World Quest to get some good rewards, but you'll see them marked like that.

Your class order missions are tied to the class campaign. The campaign is tied to the 3rd relic slot(which on average is around 42 ilvl more for your weapon by the time you complete it). But sure, take your time and skip them, and go on quests in Broken Islands with them.

While killing random mobs in an area can be fruitful, you're far more likely to get lucky in clearing dungeons or doing the world quests. Just randomly killing 100 bears somewhere in Stormheim isn't likely to be rewarding.

Hunting for treasures... pft! I'll just use the HandyNotes_LegionTreasures addon to save me the hassle of wasting time searching every nook and cranny

So my main is a blacksmith/jc should I ditch jc for mining or? I have tons of alts with mining/etc but if I want to level professions up thru the quests do I need to be leveling them in tandem?
    I level warriors, I have 48 max level warriors.

I'm assuming it doesn't matter where I start if I have two crafting professions (Alchemy and Engineering) and don't feel like spending gold on expensive crafting materials early on. I've got two alts next in line to funnel mats towards my main. Only missing a handful of recipes and will never switch professions.

Deleted
    is this still more or less true now we are further along?

I would suggest they do all the intro quests for all the zones so they get the flight path opened up to that zone asap which doesn't take that long, this way when you get a Class/crafting mission that sends you to a different zone you can head there.

Crafting will send you all over the map not just to Azsuna.

Always focus on your Class Hall missions, make sure you do them ASAP.

11. Kill almost everything you see
    Arguably, the biggest source of artifact power will be from things you kill. If you see an opportunity to kill a bunch of stuff easily, take it. You’ll want every drop of AP you can get.

Do all mobs have a chance to drop artifact power? :s
    I've only completed Stormheim in the beta, and all artifact power I got was from completing quest chains, finding treasures and rare mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Explicit Teemo Nudes View Post
    I've only completed Stormheim in the beta, and all artifact power I got was from completing quest chains, finding treasures and rare mobs.
    All Legion content mobs that drop gold/loot have a chance to drop ArtPow also, as a tank i wont be going out of my way to not pull trash IE:Everbloom because i don't want to miss out on those drops.

Quote Originally Posted by Explicit Teemo Nudes View Post
    That tip's a bit less useful now than when this list was written two months ago. There is a chance to gain an AP item from any mob in the Broken Isles, but the drop chance and AP amount is fairly low. The bulk of your AP gains will come from quest rewards, world quests, random dungeon rewards, raiding, and PvP.

Thank you for not simply linking your video and asking people to subscribe. You just earned another subscriber off this alone. Good info, keep up the hard work and good luck with the channel!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Thank you for not simply linking your video and asking people to subscribe. You just earned another subscriber off this alone. Good info, keep up the hard work and good luck with the channel!
    Thanks.
    And fellas, this video's pretty dated! I'd advise checking out some of my more recent stuff (or other people's recent stuff)!

Edit: I'll embed this more recent piece here. Or mods can strike me down - I'm just trying to help lol~

Last edited by SoulSoBreezy; 2016-07-07 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Added video

Quote Originally Posted by SoulSoBreezy View Post
    Thanks.
    And fellas, this video's pretty dated! I'd advise checking out some of my more recent stuff (or other people's recent stuff)!

Edit: I'll embed this more recent piece here. Or mods can strike me down - I'm just trying to help lol~

LOL yeah, I noticed that. I just appreciate somebody going out of their way to be a content creator on YT without being a complete shill.

10+ Year Old Account
    so your "tips" boil down to "take it easy" when everything is built to aggressively reward time spent. I already suspect there's going to be one optimal set of goalposts you will want to hit while leveling that will just put you that much further ahead of the pack
    Wrath baby and proud of it