Poll: What do you think is the real explanation for constant content droughts in WoW?

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    A patch isn't going to fix WoDs issues that is Legion. So let them work on fucking Legion and the many new content systems going into the game permanently when it launches. Like tiered CMs and Honor 3. . For example

Is this so hard to understand?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh Wow TBC had dungeons! So does warlords. Wow! The non raider has more to do now than in TBC and even Wotlk people are busts entitled now. Gimme gimme gimme

- - - Updated - - -

No you could LOSE ten for points just play 10. FACT look it up. Source? I would buy a high ranked 5s and make profit selling the other 4 spots for high arena points.
    You sound really angry about absolutely nothing.
    Last edited by ShiyoKozuki; 2016-05-13 at 04:57 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunblaze View Post
    I genuinely think that creating, designing, and implementing content takes time and a pretty vocal part of the community thinks it doesnt.

For example, even if you dont like garrisons, im sure it took more time to implement than just setting up a few dailies (like early mop for example). More people can lead to doing more things in the same time. Not in the amount of content, in the amount of work time.
    Breaking the Garrision down:

Drag&Drop Menu for some Stats
    A Timeconstraint
    Some Factors for the success calculation
    A Success calculation
    Giving you an Item/Gold

Yep, sounds like fucking much work. Maybe the art team spend a few hours with it... but one decent programmer could hit you with a working example if such a thing within 8 hours? So a typical work day and you get the garrison functionality? Yep, much work.

I genuinely think that creating, designing, and implementing content takes time and a pretty vocal part of the community thinks it doesnt.

For example, even if you dont like garrisons, im sure it took more time to implement than just setting up a few dailies (like early mop for example). More people can lead to doing more things in the same time. Not in the amount of content, in the amount of work time.
    ofc they dont - majority of people on this forums have no clue how long any kind of designing and then pushing it into production procces takes - they are whining for the sake of whining just cause they dont like X,Y,Z aspect of game .

- - - Updated - - -

ofc they dont - majority of people on this forums have no clue how long any kind of designing and then pushing it into production procces takes - they are whining for the sake of whining just cause they dont like X,Y,Z aspect of game .

Quote Originally Posted by ShiyoKozuki View Post
    You sound really angry about absolutely nothing.
    I'm talking. You are a very shitty judge of tone.

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Zul a man was a catch up raid with upgrades but not progression.
    Pretty cool and unique upgrades like the resilience caster ring. I like half-tier raids like that. What was wrong with it and how is it not progression if you can get upgrades? Doesn't have to be a tier raid. The bear runs were great as well.

2 years of doing kara doing 10 arenas weekly and the 10 quel Dani's dallies in the last 7. Months. That content yo.[/QUOTE

Let's be realistic that is what 99% of the player base did.
    Yeah, it's just part of what the player base did. We had cool attunements, dungeon sets, reps, badges... I honestly don't think you even played in TBC from the stuff you say, but who the hell knows.

Cata 4.0-4.2 was the best spot the game has ever been. tTBC professions is the best that system has ever been.
    What about Cata 4.0-4.2 did you like so much? The heroic dungeons were pretty badass and leveling from scratch was awesome, but how the hell do you think the game was in the best spot? Maybe if that's around the time you started playing/raiding I could understand. Hey, maybe you're just a unique snowflake, just don't understand why you think that way.

Hand down one of the best heroic raid tiers of all time for launch. Heroic ragnaros and molten front. Badass 5 mans and ZA brought back as a 5 ma . Maaade a lot of money instance locking. World overhaul was badass. The 5 cats zones are their best most imaginative huge zones ever with tons of stuff. The split raid locks were merged reducing grins burnout when wotlk made you clear both for badges. The reps tabard get bored of tabarding plenty of dallies. Crafting wasn't really that interesting.

Reorge was an excellent feature. Rated RBGs added to game.

My only complaint of MoP was introducing thunderforge and warforge loot. And the setting except thunder isle was all samey and dull. Even worse when they destroyed a zone for siege.

WoD issues? Split raid lock . Grind grind grind. Diablo loot mass RNG, thinking adding ship yard after you already grinded your garrison was a good idea. Complete destruction of the games economy.

Legion issues that I won't play because of.

Still split raid locks

Even more diablo loot system . Yay RNG legenadary world drops.

Also to just laugh at you. Awesome attunmenrs? We still have thos . Its called the legendary quest line.
    Last edited by anaxie; 2016-05-13 at 10:00 PM.

All of the above. Mainly lazness+greed.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    dude.

try leaving the game for a while.

I just came back after being gone for about 11 months. it's overwhelming the amount of stuff there is to do. Feels like a new game every time I do this. I recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by greysaber View Post
    dude.

I just came back after being gone for about 11 months. it's overwhelming the amount of stuff there is to do. Feels like a new game every time I do this. I recommend it.
    Good idea. I'll come back in a few years. Might have a couple content patches to work through. Oh wait, they'll just hand me free catch up gear for the newest raid and I'll be in full bis in a month. No, no I don't think that sounds very appealing. I don't think that recommendation will work man.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure it's the purposeful abandonment category. Or in business terms to put it in a better sounding way, a reallocation of resources (which happened quite a while back). They won't really announce that since it would be unpopular to current wow players/subs, but it's been very apparent and happening for a long time.

As a wow player it's a bad thing, but honestly from a business standpoint it makes complete sense to shift resources to Overwatch, HS, Hots, etc. when wow was on the downtrend. Blizz has far more details on gamer counts, subs, active players, etc. than we do from vague sub numbers that were released. So I'm sure they saw wow trending downward in numbers starting in 2010, and with wow aging it made sense to shift them over to other games. .

I guess the frustrating part is that we've been hearing from Blizz over these 5 years that they've been adding wow devs, how it just takes a while to get them fully trained, and that this will enable them to release quicker expansions once they were up to speed. But that's never happened, and is a cycle that's unlikely to change at this point. Looking back on it, it was in reality more of a situation where they just moved devs to other projects and the additional resources (which they claimed to be adding to help get expansions out faster) were just backfills and not really any net gain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by greysaber View Post
    dude.

Catchup mechanics means that all that content between the time you quit and now is completely irrelevant.

Eg. 705 baleful-700/710 pvp gear obtainable in 2 days > highmaul, brf, professions, all dungeons, world content etc
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Content draught is simply happen by a shit ton of catchup mechanics which devalue everything before the last raid tier. Back in the dark ages of vanilla / tbc, there was way less "content" to do, but with much less catchup mechanics that let you skip a large portion of content. So it felt you had always meaningful things to do instead of collecting shit like achievements, pets, mounts, tabards.
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Because the vocal part of the community is now the kind of player that expects everything to be accessible right away. So new raids are instantly available, balanced around a raid group having a decent Normal-level gear from the previous raid. There's very few significant bugs, no sudden leaps in difficulty, a lot of loot per boss, so half the raid is cleared on release-night. Outside of raids, Blizzard can't make rewarding tasks that take a lot of time (keep us busy) because the forums explode with "WHY IS IT MANDATORY AAAAAAAAAAAHH" and then the same dumb shits ask themselves why there's nothing to do.

So you have this lovely fucking mix of content that takes a long time to create, and can be cleared within a week. Otherwise Blizzard is "artificially slowing us down".

You can thank the people who teared their hair off in MoP because they somehow believed they had to do 25 dailies every day to buy loot rolls and valor gear. Those who made it clear that world content can't have pre-raid trinkets or such. MoP had a lot of longevity, it kept you occupied and progressing outside of raids. WoD worked out fine without these "mandatory" tasks, yeah? Having fun grinding 100k apexis yet? Ignoring those factions, not spending any more time on professions than daily craft, and all else that had to go to please the accessibility-players?
    But nay, we can't have these MANDATORY tasks!
    ... oh wait, why don't we have anything to do on non-raid nights?

So could you add "Instant Gratification Community Feedback" as a poll option?
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2016-05-14 at 09:18 AM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thyr View Post
    Content draught is simply happen by a shit ton of catchup mechanics which devalue everything before the last raid tier. Back in the dark ages of vanilla / tbc, there was way less "content" to do, but with much less catchup mechanics that let you skip a large portion of content. So it felt you had always meaningful things to do instead of collecting shit like achievements, pets, mounts, tabards.
    I'd argue even TBC there were more raid tiers, more dungeons AND the content stayed relevant the whole time because there was no instant catchup/skip mechanics (Until Sunwell really)

That's two big whammies.

Quote Originally Posted by Daffan View Post
    I'd argue even TBC there were more raid tiers, more dungeons AND the content stayed relevant the whole time because there was no instant catchup/skip mechanics (Until Sunwell really)

That's two big whammies.
    The lack of catch up mechanic was completely irrelevant as the majority of players never stepped foot in a raid let alone needed to catch to the latest tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    The lack of catch up mechanic was completely irrelevant as the majority of players never stepped foot in a raid let alone needed to catch to the latest tier.
    Yep. From a game design and player engagement point of view the raid design in tBC was a catastrophic flaming disaster. People who want Blizzard to go back to that are terminally clueless.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Yep. From a game design and player engagement point of view the raid design in tBC was a catastrophic flaming disaster. People who want Blizzard to go back to that are terminally clueless.
    The reason most people never got past Karazhan has nothing to do with Catchup mechanics. What exactly does catchup mechanics solve in this issue? All it does is skip content and make less relevant content. Would having T6 catchup mechanics solve the raid attendance problem in TBC? nope, instead of people not being able to do the raid, they would just skip right over it and never do it anyway. Which is basically what happened with Sunwell anyway. Everyone got t6 level gear but that didn't mean they had more engagement.

The problem with TBC was you required 25 people to get past Karazhan. Whereas casual guilds had to run 2-3 Karazhan groups (All on different levels, group A on prince, group B stuck on Aran etc) and have 2-3(!) raid leaders. It was a logistical nightmare, but nothing to do with difficulty or gearing.

Nearly every problem TBC had with linear progression is basically solved. Flexible, 10 man, CRZ, b.net tags, premade finder, account-wide attunes (if they ever brought it back).
    Last edited by Daffan; 2016-05-14 at 03:50 PM.

The reason most people never got past Karazhan has nothing to do with Catchup mechanics. What exactly does catchup mechanics solve in this issue? All it does is skip content and make less relevant content. Would having T6 catchup mechanics solve the raid attendance problem in TBC? nope, instead of people not being able to do the raid, they would just skip right over it and never do it anyway. Which is basically what happened with Sunwell anyway. Everyone got t6 level gear but that didn't mean they had more engagement.

The problem with TBC was you required 25 people to get past Karazhan. Whereas casual guilds had to run 2-3 Karazhan groups (All on different levels, group A on prince, group B stuck on Aran etc) and have 2-3(!) raid leaders. It was a logistical nightmare, but nothing to do with difficulty or gearing.

Nearly every problem TBC had with linear progression is basically solved. Flexible, 10 man, CRZ, b.net tags, premade finder, account-wide attunes (if they ever brought it back).
    The majority of people did not run the content at all allowing them to skip Kara would have made zero difference to them.

Its pretty simple really. In old wow raid were designed to last 6-12 months - with no gating. Now raids last a few weeks, and thats with gating. People finish raids and sit around whining. In old wow everything took longer, gathering mats and gold was actually a time sink not a 5 min garrison clickfest. Gear, gemming, enchants etc actually mattered because content was harder. Now its all trivial and no one really cares about spending time to get that extra boost, and even if they do care its still 1000x easier to get than it used to be.

In short, easy content = content droughts.

- - - Updated - - -

You see 'logistical nightmare,' I see hundreds of raid guilds instead of handfuls, I see multiple raid groups within a guild instead of struggling to have one. The game had far more players, far more community back then. These 'problems' you describe are actually what made wow successful, and the 'fixing' is what has ruined wow today.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

I believe personally it's a mix of things. They see how much money they make from other IPs so their priority as a company shifted overall. Lack of resources, talent, etc. It's sad. WoW arguably put Blizzard on the map globally and has always been their main headliner (Yeah yeah, SC is huge in Korea I know) and for them to seemingly care less and less about it, is disheartening as someone who has played since day 1.
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.