Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Have you had or have a relationship with someone you met online?

Hey guys. Not really a threadstarter so I'm a bit rusty here.

I've been talking to this girl for a couple of months, and I know that being yourself online doesn't necessarily mean that you're the same in real life.
    Her Online persona is someone I've found myself thinking about all the time, butterflies and all, but I'm trying to remain cautious.

So we've had plans to meet for quite some time and in a few days it's about to happen, finally.
    I'm not really worried about whether or not she'll turn out to be the same person I've been talking to for this long,
    but I'm curious about what to expect, so I thought I'd round up a few answers from you guys.

Have you ever met someone you started talking to online? Were they any different IRL?
    Feel free to add a story on how it developed if it was romantic, or simply just platonic.

Deleted
    I met my current girlfriend online. I didn't know her that well before we first met, because we only talked for a couple of days prior to our first date. We both didn't see much point in writing or skyping for weeks/months since the best way to figure out if you have a connection with someone is to just meet in person. I didn't really expect anything from it, I just decided to go there and see what happens. And what can I say, we just hit it off. We've been together for two and a half years now.

So my advice to you is the following:

1. Be yourself.
    2. Don't expect too much. That also means don't put her on a pedestal thinking that she's somehow perfect.
    3. If there's a connection between you two, just do what comes naturally. E.g. if you want to kiss her and you get the same vibe from her, just do it.
    4. Bring condoms. It's better to have them and not needing them than to be there and wishing you had some. You never know what will happen.
    5. Have fun

Oh yeah, and don't pay any mind to people telling you that you're socially awkward for meeting someone online or that all women that do like online dating are crazy or damaged. Because it's simply not true.

7+ Year Old Account
    Not me. It strikes me as desperate and/or risky. Good way to end up as a piece of human skin leather in some psycho's house.

But you're doing the right thing at least by meeting her first. Do it in a very public place. That way if it's a scam or someone planning to rob and/or hurt you, they won't have the opportunity.

Deleted
    Nah, not my cup of tea.

Worked out for my mom though.

Deleted
    Met my fiance trough WoW, we're toghether for 6 years and have a son. He lived in Scotland and I lived in Holland. We moved from Holland to England toghether for about a year and then to Scotland last year.

Long distance relationships aren't easy but we made it work, and it was worth it. Neither of us were different in real life or at least I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCookie View Post
    Oh yeah, and don't pay any mind to people telling you that you're socially awkward for meeting someone online or that all women that do like online dating are crazy or damaged. Because it's simply not true.
    Agree 100%

Online Dating is so common at this point in time that I wouldn't understand why people would try and talk down to people who use dating sites.
    I've met girls from Plenty of Fish, back when I was in high school I met a ton of girls from MySpace. All of them lead to hook-ups, F*buddies, dates, but never long-term relationships. But that was more our decision than anything.

I've just recently felt like I'm ready to begin settling down and currently about to start dating a girl I knew years ago..

Just go into cautiously to online dating, because unfortunately you truly don't know who is on the other side until you finally meet them in person. But if you're going on a date, best idea is to meet for coffee or dinner or anything public. That way it makes the both of you feel more secure, or occasionally you can even try to do a group thing....I used to invite girls to call their friends and meet my buddies and I at a Dave n Busters or Bar or wherever, and then we'd all hangout and it wasn't as awkward like 1 on 1 dates.

Yes, and it didn't end well.

I'd advise against long distance relationships at all costs, nowadays. If they aren't within walking/driving distance, save yourself the trouble.

10+ Year Old Account
    Met my girlfriend via Myspace in 2007.

We still love abusing one another to this day.
    Thanks for the ad-hominem; it supports your inability to support your argument.

Deleted
    No I haven't had a relationship of any kind.

I've had two. One went well, especially when we met, but broke off after a while. Second one is the woman I'm currently with.

Deleted
    Tried to.. Met up with a girl... Nothing happened..

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep. 3 of 4 bfs were met online. Most worked out well except for Peru dude. 1st meetings everything was normal.

Also I met an MMOC user friend IRL and his 3 gal pals. That was fun!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by McLovenIt View Post
    But if you're going on a date, best idea is to meet for coffee or dinner or anything public.
    Good advice. Definitely meet in a public place.

Quote Originally Posted by Austilias View Post
    I'd advise against long distance relationships at all costs, nowadays. If they aren't within walking/driving distance, save yourself the trouble.
    Sorry, but this solely depends on the people involved. It's hard, really hard. But if the people involved are commited and willing, it can absolutely work.

I use online dating services if that counts, most everyone I know does.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, they're buried in my garden

Met my current partner in WoW, they were pretty much the same IRL. We've been in a long-distance relationship for 5-6 years now (different countries). They might move here someday, we'll see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Yep. 3 of 4 bfs were met online. Most worked out well except for Peru dude. 1st meetings everything was normal.

Also I met an MMOC user friend IRL and his 3 gal pals. That was fun!
    Met one person IRL. It was a guildie. Unfortunately she was too toxic or rather too selfish so I had to abandon the guild I made. Made it painful to just log on ._.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Sort of. I met an ex of mine online. But we also went to the same college and had a lot of mutual friends so I guess that took away the air of anonymity in online dating.

Yep, met one girlfriend via wow (she lived in Maine and while I was in florida) It wasn't lasting, but neither of us were murdered. So that's a plus. Met my baby mama on an online dating service, though I'm glad to have my child, our relationship was 100% rushed. Well both were, but at least I didn't have a kid with the first one was well!

Best tips, as others have said, meeting in a public place is always best, be natural, and take things with a grain of salt. If things progress great! If they don't, oh well, don't force something that shouldn't be.

15+ Year Old Account
    I haven't, but my sister met her current boyfriend on a dating site. She's been with him for years now, so I'd say it worked out ok.