Thread: Stellaris

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I think the games end game is what you make of it, if your aiming for victory conditions, I don't think your playing right tbh. Paradox have stated the only reason they put those in, is because there is no end point like in the other Paradox games.

10+ Year Old Account
    In most paradox games you usually just end up setting your own goals at some point, I think the campaigns were I actually reached the end date are in the tiny minority.

These "victory conditions" can safely be ignored if you don't feel like achieving them. That said, the late game is definitely a bit lacking.
    Last edited by zealo; 2016-05-15 at 07:41 AM.

I think community will make some "victory conditions" mods, or we will have more of them in some DLC. It would be a great addition to have other "victory conditions" than militaristic domination But yeah, you can set your own victory condition and just end the game when you reach it and make a new one

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Also just a heads up to people, because i've just found this out after getting my Empire to roughly 1400 pop, every pop (over 10) increases research costs by 2%. Taking 20 years to research techs isn't fun.
    Yeah, don't neglect your research buildings!

- - - Updated - - -

So I regret staying up until 4 playing the game. So tired, send help.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post

This game needs Death Stars.
    Was thinking the same lol.. a mod that let you creat a battle station that could blow up an entire fleet or planet once fully charged (which would take a crap load of time and you have to defend it cause its vulnerable).. and also takes hundred of years in game to build. Actually, just make a star wars mod plz, with TIE interceptors, Star Destroyers, etc.

It seems it is much easier to start with a pacifist race or otherwise nice people.

If you are aggressive, allow slavery and other not nice things, your neighbors tend to hate you. I think I shall start on a eliptical galaxy from now on. Getting stuck in a small section with another strong empire blocking your expansion isn't fun. :I

But with "nice people" your military strength will be less than those that are "not nice", I think. Yet, a strong empire from economy and diplomacy point of view may have higher tech. Gah... I don't know.
    Last edited by Morae; 2016-05-15 at 04:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone use anything but warp for their FTL travel?
    I used hyperspace lanes my first game and got cut off by a fallen empire, no way around them because of one bottle neck.

Never tried wormholes, warp seems like the least restricted way to go.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Anyone use anything but warp for their FTL travel?
    I used hyperspace lanes my first game and got cut off by a fallen empire, no way around them because of one bottle neck.

Never tried wormholes, warp seems like the least restricted way to go.
    Imo, warp is the weakest of the 3 options.

It has its perks in early game, but the ability to travel freely is vastly outclassed by the sheer speed of hyperspace or the ability to jump like a frog across empires via wormholes, once you start to reach an empire size of several dozen systems. Id say warp is a bit of a newbie trap unless you get unlucky getting boxed in by a fallen empire.

Deleted
    Is hyperspace really that fast? It's certainly very strong in a War if the enemy isn't able to block the systems, but I played my very first game with it and the traveltime was already abysmall if I wanted to go from west to east of my empire. Maybe I got unlucky with the techtree but I wonder if something like 50% reduce "channel time" will fix that.

That being said, wormholes aren't that good either if you have alot of traffic... building more wormhole stations will fix that though.

I wonder it's better to build several stations in one system, or 1 station in every system and if the fleet pathfinding is actually clever enough to utilize them. Is anyone experienced with that kind of stuff?
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2016-05-15 at 08:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The kicker to hyperspace is that you can start to spool up for a jump from anywhere inside a system in about 12 days in total with tech upgrades, and travel between systems themselves doesn't take more than ~2 days. If you aren't having routes blocked by other empires, you can move about quite fast.

For wormholes, there are some folks at the paradox forums who've managed to move fleets across the whole galaxy in about 40 days in total.

Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    What is the best way to get rid of large empires, whose disgusting non-human populations are occupying space that rightfully belongs to the United Earth Directorate?

I don't want 'em as my subjects or vassals; I want 'em all eradicated. So far I've been slowly picking off their planets EU4-style, "purging" the populations of every one I grab as I go, but it takes ages due to the long truce timers. Doesn't help that they often just re-colonize the planets I just finished purging.

Should I just vassalize them, integrate them, and THEN purge them? Will they even allow me to integrate them when I'm going around the galaxy killing everything I encounter; stacking up a massive negative relations 'genocide' modifier?

There clearly needs to exist a war goal to simply eradicate all life belonging to the target.
    Ye i dont understand that either, it seems its just not there to prolong the game even more, i really want to declare war on an empire and just go to town with orbital bombardement killing every little civilian on every planet sins of a solar empire style.

After having played with both Warp and Hyperspace in two different games, I vastly prefer the Warp tech. While it might be slower, you can also cover far greater interstellar distances at a time. Plus, if you're like me and are surrounded by others, Warp gives you options whereas you're either screwed or not with Hyperspace.

Still need to try Wormhole travel!

Would someone who played a ton of Civilization like this game?

Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    What is the best way to get rid of large empires, whose disgusting non-human populations are occupying space that rightfully belongs to the United Earth Directorate?

I don't want 'em as my subjects or vassals; I want 'em all eradicated. So far I've been slowly picking off their planets EU4-style, "purging" the populations of every one I grab as I go, but it takes ages due to the long truce timers. Doesn't help that they often just re-colonize the planets I just finished purging.

Should I just vassalize them, integrate them, and THEN purge them? Will they even allow me to integrate them when I'm going around the galaxy killing everything I encounter; stacking up a massive negative relations 'genocide' modifier?

There clearly needs to exist a war goal to simply eradicate all life belonging to the target.
    I'm not sure, if it works, but I found basically our technology level species right in my neighborhood. Yeah they had a single space station! Such an effort it must have been to build. Unfortunately my xenophobic militarist race does not tolerate any disgustin aliens so I went in with my ships. Shot down their space station and started heavy bombardment on the planet. This kills pops sometimes... I would have kept bombarding the planet until they were all dead, but I realized it was a tundra world. My species comes from jungle planets so 0% habitability. So instead I enslaved them all. My plan now, that I'm not sure, if it works. Once I get robots on the planet, I will change my policy from allowing slaves to breed to not allow it! They can keep their lives as long as they are useful, but then I will prevent them from breeding so I assume these pops will eventually die.

What I'm not sure, if pops in this game mean that they are indeed "populations" and, since it isn't inviduals, this game doesn't give them age like it does to leaders, scientists, ect. who are inviduals. I'm currently hoping they will indeed disapear eventually...... if not.... well. I don't know. I want to know too.

Secondary plan. I will emancipate (spelling?) these slaves and give them back their world (if that is possible). Once they have it. I shall bring my fleet and comence heavy bombardment that will not end until every single alien is dead! Afterwards I build robots. My current robots can basically only gather minerals. ;/
    Last edited by Morae; 2016-05-15 at 11:52 PM.

Before I do something stupid and cut my empire in 2, is there a way to check if the borders of a new colony is connected to my others? I dont know if I express myself well, but basically I build a frontier to increase my borders and found a nice system with viable planet perfect to colonize, which i did, and now Im wondering if I can remove the frontier safely, of if it will split the thing in 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    I'm not sure, if it works, but I found basically our technology level species right in my neighborhood. Yeah they had a single space station! Such an effort it must have been to build. Unfortunately my xenophobic militarist race does not tolerate any disgustin aliens so I went in with my ships. Shot down their space station and started heavy bombardment on the planet. This kills pops sometimes... I would have kept bombarding the planet until they were all dead, but I realized it was a tundra world. My species comes from jungle planets so 0% habitability. So instead I enslaved them all. My plan now, that I'm not sure, if it works. Once I get robots on the planet, I will change my policy from allowing slaves to breed to not allow it! They can keep their lives as long as they are useful, but then I will prevent them from breeding so I assume these pops will eventually die.

What I'm not sure, if pops in this game mean that they are indeed "populations" and, since it isn't inviduals, this game doesn't give them age like it does to leaders, scientists, ect. who are inviduals. I'm currently hoping they will indeed disapear eventually...... if not.... well. I don't know. I want to know too.

Secondary plan. I will emancipate (spelling?) these slaves and give them back their world (if that is possible). Once they have it. I shall bring my fleet and comence heavy bombardment that will not end until every single alien is dead! Afterwards I build robots. My current robots can basically only gather minerals. ;/
    Sounds like a like of trouble, m8; I'm pretty sure the pops don't die from old age. What I do now is just replace 1 pop with a synthetic then purge them all! Or a robot, I guess. All your robots will automatically upgrade to synthetics when you eventually get the tech.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by Aoewy View Post
    Before I do something stupid and cut my empire in 2, is there a way to check if the borders of a new colony is connected to my others? I dont know if I express myself well, but basically I build a frontier to increase my borders and found a nice system with viable planet perfect to colonize, which i did, and now Im wondering if I can remove the frontier safely, of if it will split the thing in 2.
    Unless they released a patch today that changed this, no, there is no way to know how much border you will lose if you nuke a frontier outpost.

Game is lots of fun, but if your computer is hovering around the minimum specs or slightly over them, do not bother.

Late game the time it takes to do anything becomes unbearable. Not lag as in World of Warcraft, but each 'day' ends up taking 2-3 seconds, meaning years take 10+ minutes on the fastest setting. With it taking 2-3 Years or longer to research technologies and 1-2 years to fly from one side of the galaxy to the other, it ends up being a huge time sink.

It was great up until I started expanding and the GPU (or is it CPU?) load crushed my system into a tiny ball of dark matter.

Deleted
    Excellent thread up on /r/Stellaris

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/c...xactly_a_full/

Hopefully the Paradox devs will give it a good look over (I know the community guys post in the reddit a lot)

Deleted
    The goverment/sector AI is really bad... I didn't bother watching it and "trusted" it but when I took a closer look at a new colonized planet, I noticed that it does some really, really stupid stuff.

I made a small colony with lots of research stars surrounding it, it needed energy to run the stations, so far so good. I set "focus on research" and what does this fucker do?
    It clears a +2 society tile and puts a Power plant on it (because it needs energy), yet there were 2 +1 energy tiles already cleared since day 1.
    The Sector was set on "Respect Tile Ressources" too.