Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Are nightborne blizzards relief aid to the night elves?

I'm wondering you know, think about it, Nelves have been badly beaten up and depleted since WC3 - losing immortality, health, numbers, and it got much worse in WoW too, especially at cataclysm, most of their lands devastated, areas invaded, they hardly had enough to defend if it wasn't for a lucky hero coming they'd have lost everything.

we see them outclassed in azshara, ashenvale, even the return of the highborne and magic was not enough too little too late, as the Shen'drelar are few, and it takes time to train up for combat.

In Legion we see the rest of the night elves decimated: Wardens - only a handful survive, prison ransacked, Dreamers - have lost so much to the nightmare and we see them fleeing into Suramar for refuge, the Moonguard is decimated by the bad nightborne.

At this point, despite victory, they are really really weak, but we see the nightborne uncovered, and we see the night elves gathering together with the good nightborne in a resistance to take Suramar back from the Legion and the bad nightborne who rule the city. The resistance rescues the majority of the nightborne population and remind them that they are heroes, something the presence of the night elves would greatly help too.

Makes me wonder, with so much loss, if this is blizzards answer to the night elves. I noticed many people barely recognize that night elves have magic users in the highborne and that priesthood and senitnesl are not druidic. They only seem to think of night elves in terms of druids, and I wonder if the nightborne are what blizzard use to restore the arcane legacy to the night elf group without necessarily tampering too much with people's druidic view of them. What do you think?

The alliance I know has started to lag behind the horde magically. Dalaran being neutral and more an Azeroth thing.. we have human stormwind mages matched by the forsaken lorderaon ones, and surpassed by the blood elves. Night elves magic dept may be the best and most knowledgeable b/c of the highborne but it's tiny and no match for the forsaken. Nature wise anything the night elves bring is kinda matched by tauren druidically and add to that the shaman strength of orcs, trolls and tauren - I would say the horde leads there too. I think in the light is where the alliance b/c of the Draenei really shine, but are they matched by the forsaken shadow? human paladins are cancelled out by blood elves, most paladins are neutral with Argent Dawn anyway.

I'm afraid without the nightborne the night elves might just disappear. Stretched far too thin. and overwhelmed.
    Last edited by Beloren; 2016-05-16 at 01:47 PM.

To me, people expect to much emphasis on Night Elves, when they were just a bit more in spotlight (in game) compared to Gnomes . Also, they stopped the Horde offensive in Ashenvale. They are not that desperate. They just aren't important as some Nelf nerds want them to be, because frankly their story is cliche and is boring.

As a Horde player, I find Dwarves to be much more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    To me, people expect to much emphasis on Night Elves, when they were just a bit more in spotlight (in game) compared to Gnomes . Also, they stopped the Horde offensive in Ashenvale. They are not that desperate. They just aren't important as some Nelf nerds want them to be, because frankly their story is cliche and is boring.

As a Horde player, I find Dwarves to be much more interesting.
    Probably because they were important in WC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

They could be, could very well be, but I am noticing you guys are too horde/alliance focused. The alliance is a human thing, the horde is an orc thing and it's high time the Elves went back to the WC3, when we all felt they were their own thing.

And while I don't have any problems with Nightborne being a part of the night elves, in fact it is what they are pretty much, it should be an Elven thing and not horde or alliance. Sure some nightborne might chosoe to join the nelves in aid of the alliance, but the Elves should be more focused with the big threats like the Legion, Azshara, Old gods and be the ones trying to jog the horde and alliance to follow suit, not depend on them.

So yeah, I hope blizzard uses the nightborne to refresh the night elves, but not as an alliance thing, as an elven thing, that blood elves too, and high elves can play a role in as well forming some sort of new elven society. This new society sends night elves to the allinace to continue helping them and watching them so they don't become a threat to the world or their fighting doens't put the global efforts against bigger threats at risk or interfere with the elves' rebuilding. They do the same to the horde via the blood elves.

I disagree Horde being orc thing. Alliance may be all about humans, but there are two major players in Horde; Forsaken and Orcs.

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    snip.
    I think so. Why should night elf wonders only be in the narratives and in the past with nothing remaining of them? I don't think it's a tall order to give them hey one city back from their age of legends (WoT you know what I mean) and a strong force of magic users in tow. It's nice to it too. Why not? It's about time too. Can't expect night elves to stay in the sticks for another 10k years.

I agree it is exactly the type of boost they need, they've lost way too much - besides the nightborne re-united with their kin hardly makes them super saiyan, it gives them back some of what they lost. they get proper arcane usage back, a power source they can use (remember they can't use the well of eternity because of Nordrassil and it's work it still does healing Azeroth), and I agree, all without changing the look and feel of night elves, so for the arcane side you will think of the nightborne for night elves, for the nautre side you will think of the druids, and for the priestly side you will think of the Sisterhood of Elune.

Highborne, night elves who want to learn/master the arcane, the moonguard survivors - they'd largely be with the majority of the nightborne in Suramar.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    snip .
    I disagree buddy, sorry, I don't think it should be an all Elf thing. It's a night elf thing. Blood elves already have Silvermoon, a sunwell etc, I don't think they're going to want to be a part of a nightwell. Besides it's night elves that will remember Suramar, the high elves and blood elves are far too young and won't be able to relate as well as night elves, remember they wanted nothing to do with their night elven roots when they were exiled.

I don't mind the night elves becoming their own thing too, I think blizzard should use that to cause the night elves to try to get the blood elves out of the horde and part of the neutral elven group, but I don't want it becoming a blood elf thing, it's a night elf thing. And I am glad for a change night elves have a city that's not in the sticks.. i think they've lived isolated in the woods giving up civilization for too long - now let them enjoy a city, think about rebuilding their lives.

besides it looks like night elves and blood elves can have a proper rivalry now, each trying to out do the other.
    Last edited by ravenmoon; 2016-05-17 at 12:20 AM.

Malfurion's actively opposed to the idea of night elves getting immortality back, because he thinks it makes them arrogant and their current situation is a way to atone. I don't see them being allowed to tap the Nightwell or move in with the Nightborne so long as he's alive and, if not officially, ruling them.

Let's all be honest, the Nightwell will most likely get destroyed/absorbed by something in the raid encounter.

Either Gul'dan will use all of its magics to do some crazy shit, or removing the Eye of Aman'thul after we beat him will destabilize it and something else will happen. Or removing the Eye of Aman'thul (We know we do this because there's an achievement for getting all FIVE Pillars of Creation) will just fizzle out the Nightwell since the Eye is what caused it to manifest in the first place.

I strongly doubt it will remain a relevant factor after we finish The Nighthold.

Also the vast majority of the Nightborne are not friends to the Night Elves. Even the few Nightborn who are sympathetic to the Nightfallen/Horde/Alliance plight have to hide with the Nightfallen in their underground hovel to escape being killed by the Nightborne.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2016-05-16 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daralii View Post
    Malfurion's actively opposed to the idea of night elves getting immortality back, because he thinks it makes them arrogant and their current situation is a way to atone. I don't see them being allowed to tap the Nightwell or move in with the Nightborne so long as he's alive and, if not officially, ruling them.
    I don't think it was getting immortality back as opposed to wanting/desiring power and life for selfish means. It's alarming that the motive of growing a huge tree like Teldrassil is just to restore your immortality - he found that alarming. Fandral on the other hand wanted to give his people hope after suffering a huge blow in their fight against the legion. But we also know that he had alterior motives, after losing his son, I think grief would have played a major factor in his decision, not wantint anymore death.

Turns out the old gods wanted to use the new tree as an easy way to spread more chaos and control over Azeroth.

I think the night elves realize they need more strength, or they'll be wiped out, this is not about vanity alone any longer, they started using magic again a few years ago in Cataclysm, but the highborne are too few, and even with a boost like that, not enough, they won't survive another major invasion and they're not going to do nothing about it. I don't think Malfurion will object to any night elf who wants to learn the arcane, he didn't in cata, and he wouldn't with the nightwell. They don't live in a dictatorship, and they don't ban magic usage at all, nor do they hate it.

Apparently the nightborne and night elves are working together to free the city, the night elves of the broken isles have no home left now, a return to Suramar is their only hope.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Let's all be honest, the Nightwell will most likely get destroyed/absorbed by something in the raid encounter.

Either Gul'dan will use all of its magics to do some crazy shit, or removing the Eye of Aman'thul after we beat him will destabilize it and something else will happen. Or removing the Eye of Aman'thul (We know we do this because there's an achievement for getting all FIVE Pillars of Creation) will just fizzle out the Nightwell since the Eye is what caused it to manifest in the first place.

I strongly doubt it will remain a relevant factor after we finish The Nighthold.
    rofl.. so blizzard like huh.. they're likely to destroy it all in some massive explosion at the end. but it's getting quite cliched... every time we see night elves, our first thought is how are they going to die, what are they going to lose.

you see Suramar and you're like, hmm, I bet this gets destroyed at the end. I don't like it, but I agree with you there, it would be far more likely of blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Also the vast majority of the Nightborne are not friends to the Night Elves. Even the few Nightborn who are sympathetic to the Nightfallen/Horde/Alliance plight have to hide with the Nightfallen in their underground hovel to escape being killed by the Nightborne.
    Actually that's not the vast majority. The vast majority of nightborne are scared and are being oppressed, fear of losing access to the nightwell (not because they are addicted like the high elves were, but because it means certain death to them - and painful, first starving then becoming mindless then dying) and consequently are taking all this crap from an enemy they have no love for. You aid the nightborne resistance a collection of nightborne night elves (normal and nightfallen) and normal night elves help them and remind them of their night elven heritage as heroes, a noble people who are meant to rise up against evil, not cow in fear.

It's the leadership, who aligned themselves with the legion, on Ellisandres order that are the ones that are unlikely to be welcoming. In different circumstances, I'm sure Ellisandre would have been delighted to be reunited with her kin, especially after thinking eveyrthing outside was lost (remember most of the Night Elves come from Suramar originally). But now they've allied with the legion, they're doing what it commands. Ellisandre feels its the only way they'll survive, however even fewer are nightborne that want the power of the legion, enticed by the usual promises of power we see members of every group betray their kind for. They are not the majority, they are actually the minority as well. So it's a tug of war between the resistance and the leadership the price is the nightborne majority and control of the city and its resources. We start with the enemy, the bad guys having the advantage, we end with defeating them and Gul'dan.

Given that the city isn't destroyed etc, it might just work
    Last edited by ravenmoon; 2016-05-16 at 03:21 PM.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If they're anything they're Blizz's attempt to make Elves essentially neutral across the board.

Ally: Night, High.

Horde: Blood, Nightborne.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    If they're anything they're Blizz's attempt to make Elves essentially neutral across the board.

ooo.. that would be interesting.. Elves neutral, but I assume the alliance will only agree to work with the night elves and the horde will only agree to work with the blood elves...but why would the alliance not work with the nightborne? and why would the horde trust or work with nightborne too?

nightborne=night elves sub race

high elves=blood elves sub race

dark iron=dwarf sub race

Revantusk=darkspear sub race

etc etc

- - - Updated - - -

you are a alliance player right?

No.

Based on their lore to date, Night Elfs would be one of the larger more powerful Empires on Azeroth.

Can't forget that the game doesn't redelct the 'reality' of Azeroth that well

Quote Originally Posted by KyrtF View Post
    No.

Based on their lore to date, Night Elfs would be one of the larger more powerful Empires on Azeroth.

Can't forget that the game doesn't redelct the 'reality' of Azeroth that well
    I think that was pre 3rd war, when you first meet them in WC3, and they weren't really an empire, just a powerfully stern and well trained force - they didn't care about lands and occupation at all, only their task of the vigil - their sacred charge of guarding the Well of Eternity and Nordrassil.

Post WC3, they really are pitiful - feel/seem very rag-tag, look how tossed about they are in Cata, they keep getting decimated and having to be rescued. You don't see them coming to anyone's rescue cos they're constantly under assault. and it's worth in Legion.

The nightborne will need massive amounts of help from either the blood or night elves, since their nightwell will most likely not survive the expansion. Though I wonder how much the night elves can actually help, since the second well of eternity is almost entirely destroyed by the legion.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post
    nightborne=night elves sub race

high elves=blood elves sub race

dark iron=dwarf sub race

Revantusk=darkspear sub race

etc etc

- - - Updated - - -

you are a alliance player right?
    Both. But I hate Sylvanas and Garrosh.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Alliance players have to stop wanting to play with a playable race of the horde.

The alliance already has playable elves.

nightborne has night elf skeleton is logical that are subRace of Night elves

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    Post WC3, they really are pitiful - feel/seem very rag-tag, look how tossed about they are in Cata, they keep getting decimated and having to be rescued. You don't see them coming to anyone's rescue cos they're constantly under assault. and it's worth in Legion.
    It's even worse that players, on average, don't see them as that big a deal even compared to Tauren. When Taurajo, a trading post, was bombed, people flew into a shitfit that's still brought up regularly today. At the same time as Taurajo being hit, Silvermoon Refuge, a trading post/shrine was assaulted by the Horde and the bodies of those killed there, including the non-combat priestesses, are still there being trampled by Goblin NPCs looting the place.

Nobody seems to give a damn about the latter one, though. Often, you'll just be dismissed for bringing it up. Quicker even than talking about the civilian deathcount of South Shore.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Both. But I hate Sylvanas and Garrosh.
    where's all this Sylvannas hate coming from? i thought she was like the horde's fave leader ahead of even Thrall

The Nightborne are closer in their empire to the Blood Elves than they are to the Nelfs. Both are simple mirrors of the decadence and decay each have with the high magister now taking the place of Kael'Thas.

Anyway the relief aid or hail mary for the Nelfs aren't the Nightborne, it's the Demon Hunters. Another part of their society that was shunned and locked away - like the Shendralar - that now seek to return home and WILL be acknowledged for their skill, sacrifice and patriotism.